Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

iPodschun posted:

I Standard Step there but I make sure to stand closest to the north or south bird, wherever I'm assigned. That's where the tank and other DPS are going first too so if I get a crit-dh on that bird there still won't be any problems.

Yeah that's what I do also. Close enough to hit all four, but next to the one I'll be killing first so that if I get it real mad it's still going where we want it to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel very lucky that drg burst is so utterly rigid that I can't even dream of holding the lotd that comes up during adds

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

iPodschun posted:

Now I'm imagining the honest healer type not doing any damage in their job quests, just choosing to heal the NPCs

They would take so long, it sounds awful.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Steelion posted:

It always lines up such that I can drop a confiteor on the boss immediately before it flies away, so i have the Sword phase spells ready to drop on the adds immediately after tossing a circle of scorn to grab initial aggro. Then theres enough time to do a FoF+authority combo on the small birds, and when the big birds show up i can squeeze a buffed goring blade on one of them before moving to my tether position and going into another magic phase. Then everything is back up for the opener when the boss becomes targetable again. That phase seems to line up real well for pld.

Hmm, I usually end part 1 before the divebomb with FoF, wonder if it's a difference in opener. I run 2.42 GCD but I doubt it'll matter that much. I could use an FoF on the small birds I guess but I have 0 need to, we kill them so fast that we go into reopener a bit too quickly.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kaubocks posted:

i think (?) there's a couple strats that use tank immunity
From what I've seen Elmo is the main PF strat for Primal, while Myta is the main PF strat for Aether (I'm a ranged physical main that plays on both data centers, so it's nice that I do the same thing for both):

I've also seen a pic of this Ilya strat but don't know if any DC uses it as their PF strat:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kaubocks posted:

i think (?) there's a couple strats that use tank immunity, but yea elmo is one

we swap the N ranged for one of the healers for "insurance", but like i said it's only come up once. the party is mindful of where they need to stand so we've never clipped them with the tank cones, them being stacked up makes it easy to find/grab tethers, big value out of invulns. it's pretty comfy for us.

Gotcha. Thanks! I haven't actually looked at very many strategy guides or watched any videos, so I didn't know for sure. I posted this earlier, but here's what my static worked out that works great.

It works out great and we have zero downtime as a result. It does require everyone to do their part, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's even the advantage to the invuln strats. The positioning is still specific for everyone and everyone still takes a hit. Feels like just using resources for nothing

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Fewer distinct places for people to remember, mostly. I've got no problem doing regular strats but since every boss mechanic is basically a per-responsible-player diceroll to see if they gently caress up or not (because they've forgotten what they have to do, or have zoned out, or have to thread the needle on something finnicky), the fewer things players in aggregate have to remember and execute the better.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

we really gotta stop giving mechanic strategies nonsense names like elmo strat or spyro strat

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

What's even the advantage to the invuln strats. The positioning is still specific for everyone and everyone still takes a hit. Feels like just using resources for nothing

Stacking is easier than spreading, basically?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Vitamean posted:

we really gotta stop giving mechanic strategies nonsense names like elmo strat or spyro strat

no way lol

aers
Feb 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

dodging the pizza slice at max melee and then staying there is less cast time loss then moving behind a tornado

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Farg posted:

no way lol

I kinda get what they're saying, insomuch as it contributes to the weird insular nature of PF raiding, but "elmo strat" is no less imperceptible than "ilya strat".

The real ones are the people who put a loving imgur/pastebin link in their PF description so you know exactly what they want.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It amazes me that NA datacenters are so stubbornly against macros they just use pastebins with the macros inside them instead.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ilya, I love you assholes?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Very few strategies are short or simple enough to be described in their name, so they might as well be named after their creator or elmo or whatever so people can at least look it up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tank aoe for only two mobs is a dps loss, though.

GNB and DRK's basic AoE combo is a gain on two and PLD's Holy Circle is a gain on two. WAR is the only tank that is always at a loss AoEing on two.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

cheetah7071 posted:

I think it owns when tanks take a bunch of should-be lethal hits and keep going

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i'll begrudgingly accept creator names because they have youtube channels that are searchable along with the fight name. elmo strat is unforgivable, though

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It amazes me that NA datacenters are so stubbornly against macros they just use pastebins with the macros inside them instead.

As someone encountering macros for the first time post move to OCE server. The issue I mostly have is that I have to adjust my text box size for them to even read correctly, and they ultimately look more like walls of text symbols.

Whereas actual images have much more clear visuals.

Personally I was just fine with knowing where to go based on my clock spot instead of naming a position that actually changes between mechanics as to who my partner is but it’s not been a massive problem.

This might also be WoW brain where bosses are much less linear in terms of safe spots. Also mechanics that requires specific positioning for individual players would be marked and discussed beforehand instead of relying on a prebuilt understanding of D1 goes these places at these times.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

at least for me as one of the tanks, i find value in not having to hunt down the tether. we start the mechanic stacked, and because most of the party needs to remained stacked we can dedicate a waymark pointing people exactly where to go. i know where to get my tether, and because everyone knows where to stand, it's never really felt like the mechanic demanded the level of precision people claims in needs in PF.

also there's nowhere else to really use the invulns, so i'll trade blowing one to just make a mechanic more mindless for my team

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

iPodschun posted:

I think it owns when tanks take a bunch of should-be lethal hits and keep going

That, and as long as the invulns aren't needed to survive something else coming up you may as well use them to simplify a mechanic.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

As someone encountering macros for the first time post move to OCE server. The issue I mostly have is that I have to adjust my text box size for them to even read correctly, and they ultimately look more like walls of text symbols.

Whereas actual images have much more clear visuals.

Personally I was just fine with knowing where to go based on my clock spot instead of naming a position that actually changes between mechanics as to who my partner is but it’s not been a massive problem.

This might also be WoW brain where bosses are much less linear in terms of safe spots. Also mechanics that requires specific positioning for individual players would be marked and discussed beforehand instead of relying on a prebuilt understanding of D1 goes these places at these times.

Macros aren't really something you should be learning from first time, they're more of a tool to get everyone on the same page at the start of the fight.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Macros own and NA sucks for not using them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WrightOfWay posted:

GNB and DRK's basic AoE combo is a gain on two and PLD's Holy Circle is a gain on two. WAR is the only tank that is always at a loss AoEing on two.

Well, poo poo. Thank you for the correction. I for some reason had it stuck in my head that ranged physical dps alone were the only with 2+ and everyone else was 3+.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I kinda get what they're saying, insomuch as it contributes to the weird insular nature of PF raiding, but "elmo strat" is no less imperceptible than "ilya strat".

The real ones are the people who put a loving imgur/pastebin link in their PF description so you know exactly what they want.

That's great until you're a melee DPS speed-joining a PF group before someone gets there first and you have to be like "uhh so what did the PF say?"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cheetah7071 posted:

it just seems like the easiest, most brainless possible way to resolve everything and we arent using our invulns anywhere else in the fight anyway

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Hmm, I usually end part 1 before the divebomb with FoF, wonder if it's a difference in opener. I run 2.42 GCD but I doubt it'll matter that much. I could use an FoF on the small birds I guess but I have 0 need to, we kill them so fast that we go into reopener a bit too quickly.

I run a regular opener, I've heard about using a prepull FoF for that fight, but I haven't considered using it yet. Using FoF isn't necessary, of course, but I figure it'll be off cooldown before I need to use it for the actual boss, so I may as well. My group doesn't hasn't bothered with trying to maximize potion usage at this point, so ending the add phase a little early doesn't really matter too much to us. I'm also only scoring ~80% on a good day, so I certainly don't want to present my strat as being optimal at all, it's just comfy and gets the job done with magic phases lining up nicely.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Right, but the first thing the introduction job quest does is say "tack Kardia on me so your attacks will heal!"

It's more having basic reading comprehension, because see above.

Oxyclean posted:

You can get the job stone and then just ignore that quest.

Similarly, people unlock RDM and somehow miss "cast quick spell to cast long spell instantly."

Never underestimate peoples ability to ignore tutorials and just not like, pick up on obvious mechanical flow.
You're overlooking something else that's important to honest healers.
Kardia heals are smaller green numbers than the green numbers on non-Kardia heals.
Ergo, why even waste time setting it up when your GCDs aren't going towards attacks?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Awesome! posted:

it just seems like the easiest, most brainless possible way to resolve everything and we arent using our invulns anywhere else in the fight anyway

I use holmgang on tethers sometimes because that and equilibrium after is mitigation enough for them and sometimes I've had to nascent flash someone and don't have bloodwhetting ready.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Speaking of invulns. I've successfully used living dead multiple times with trusts in the lvl 85 dungeon. Which makes trusts better than drat near every pub Ive played with

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Consummate Professional posted:

Level 58 in Eureka. I will be an orb catgirl soon.

:hfive: i hit 60 in eureka yesterday and am hoping to do BA tonight. eureka is good and i've very much enjoyed it. i'm glad i gave it a second chance.

and i glow now!!! welcome to the glow factory

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, poo poo. Thank you for the correction. I for some reason had it stuck in my head that ranged physical dps alone were the only with 2+ and everyone else was 3+.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason on whose stuff is a DPS gain on 2 vs 3, even within the same roles. For instance, WHM is a gain on 3, all other healers are a gain on 2. You pretty much need to learn everything separately.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not even within the same job. Dark Knight at 2 targets uses AOE gcds and single-target ogcds/spenders

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mister Olympus posted:

i'll begrudgingly accept creator names because they have youtube channels that are searchable along with the fight name. elmo strat is unforgivable, though

Enough, Let's Move On (to the next mechanic)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

If you want to do the tornadoes honest there’s always queueing into TEA and learning cascade 1 and 2

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

it doesn't actually seem any more braindead, is all

the fight is kind of light on invulns, though, it's true. My static's pally invulns for the big birds because there aren't any better spots for it

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cheetah7071 posted:

it doesn't actually seem any more braindead, is all

the fight is kind of light on invulns, though, it's true. My static's pally invulns for the big birds because there aren't any better spots for it

:hmmyes: I like this idea a lot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Erg posted:

I usually felt comfortable enough with the rhythm of a rotation after a dungeon or two at each stage of the leveling experience that looking down for MP became less of a problem

For ice at least B3>T3>B4 should always get you all MP back so you don’t have to pay attention and the rule of thumb of 3 F4 casts in a row is usually a good amount of time for me to check the status of the fight and plan out what’s next

If you haven’t already I’d rec looking up some rotations for the leveling experience with a WskAlber guide or w/e. It takes off some mental load since there’s a definite optimal series of buttons to press that you can use as a template

Procs also weirdly matter less as you level more since you can get to the point where you guarantee them whenever you’d care about them

Yeah, ice stage is simple. I've only done one dungeon since unlocking F4, so I can see how things might become more stable once abilities are more set in stone.

I think the bigger issue is the cast times making it harder to just mash on each GCD like with other jobs. Though now that I'm typing this I realized that I can probably do something like move the cast bar into the center of the screen lol.

Also I guess procs do become much less of a thing once you start using F4 instead of F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, ice stage is simple. I've only done one dungeon since unlocking F4, so I can see how things might become more stable once abilities are more set in stone.

I think the bigger issue is the cast times making it harder to just mash on each GCD like with other jobs. Though now that I'm typing this I realized that I can probably do something like move the cast bar into the center of the screen lol.

Also I guess procs do become much less of a thing once you start using F4 instead of F1.

Oh yeah, when I first unlocked fire 4 I went from "gently caress I know this class" to "what the gently caress am I even doing"

A test dummy is always your absolute best friend for blm rotation practice.