Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Inzombiac posted:

Zombie/Nature? Sure, seems neat!

Rise from your grove!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theironjef posted:

Rise from your grove!

gently caress that's good. Maybe I'll macro that to the summons.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Or just shorten it to Grove Robber and there's a name you can take to the bank.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theironjef posted:

Or just shorten it to Grove Robber and there's a name you can take to the bank.

Nice! I snagged that name on Excelsior because I had that combo already. Let me know if you want it.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I had a zombie/nature MM on live called Funeral Wreath, name's up for grabs.

Glazius posted:

And you use Synapse's Shock exclusively?

Actually makes me wonder how zippy your regular speed would get if you were, like, an elec/SR sentinel with five copies of +run speed from the Synapse's Shock 2-piece and all the +run speed uniques you could carry.

I don't like sentinels so I made a build for an Elec Melee/SR scrapper who has a "sprint only" run speed of 72.82 mph while being soft capped to all 3 positions and having 62.5 global recharge. Tell me what attacks an Elec/SR sentinel should have and I'll see what I can do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I had a zombie/nature MM on live called Funeral Wreath, name's up for grabs.

I don't like sentinels so I made a build for an Elec Melee/SR scrapper who has a "sprint only" run speed of 72.82 mph while being soft capped to all 3 positions and having 62.5 global recharge. Tell me what attacks an Elec/SR sentinel should have and I'll see what I can do.

Nah, that's a fair enough demonstration. Most of the way to the speed cap which IIRC is somewhere north of 90? Lovely.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I love Sentinels, when the servers started and I was made aware I immediately mained up a Water Blast/Bio Armor guy named Splash Mountain and loved him forever and ever.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

theironjef posted:

I love Sentinels, when the servers started and I was made aware I immediately mained up a Water Blast/Bio Armor guy named Splash Mountain and loved him forever and ever.

I have a water/bio Sentinel named Gross. He's a weird slime monster who shoots sewer water at people. I love him

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

FrostyPox posted:

I have a water/bio Sentinel named Gross. He's a weird slime monster who shoots sewer water at people. I love him

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That rules.

Anyone have a good MM build for farming? It's the class I love most and fire farming is getting awfully dull l.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

You can take advantage of the pets to get around aggro limits but surviving long enough for it to be feasible is still tough. There's a thread here about multiboxing to pull it off, though I imagine it's more effort than most people wanna sink into farming.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Robots can do more traditional farming ok due to incendiary missiles, you'll never do anything that involves big aggro though

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Every archetype has its strengths and weaknesses, and for most these are obvious, but for some reason MMs seem to really drive people to want to do strange things with them that aren't really playing to their strengths.

Where MMs excel is plowing through every kind of solo content. With Bodyguard you have great defense with no holes in it, you have a variety of attack types (ahem, usually), and you have the most options for switching up your playstyle. But they're not good for farming, nor are they good for PVP, and honestly I avoid using them for teaming in general if just because of the cacophony.

They're so good at just churning through the game normally though, you should just get a good normal build and play it straight. You'll make them expees and inf plenty fast enough, and you'll be actually be having fun to boot!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You can take advantage of the pets to get around aggro limits but surviving long enough for it to be feasible is still tough. There's a thread here about multiboxing to pull it off, though I imagine it's more effort than most people wanna sink into farming.

That's impressive but seems like a total hassle.
Back in the day I had a Robo/Dark MM that was incredible and mostly unkillable, even in pvp.
I'd remake it but I already spent probably 200 hours on that one character.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've been looking over some of the trials and task forces and it seems like the only prereq is the level range, right? Like if I want to start Yin's task force, I was under the impression that one needed to have completed her mission arc but nowadays that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems I just need to be in the right level range, in a group, and then talk to the NPC, yes?

I'm recalling now that I've seen more than one person having trouble starting Positron's second TF.

Likewise, if I want to start DfB or DiB, I just need to put my (4+) group in the LFG queue, correct?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think Hess and Katie Hannon still require you to finish the final arcs of their respective zones to be "introduced" to them, but those should be the only ones that have some kind of pre-requisite. Well, and you need Cimerora access to do Imperious, but that's gotten a lot easier. Edit: Oh, and you need to knock out the associated tip for Mortimer Kal over on redside.

But Yin never needed to be unlocked - she replaced Sister Psyche wholesale and her TF is just like the other core Phalanx ones.

I don't think you need to do Posi 1 to unlock Posi 2 but I could be wrong. I think what throws people off is that clicking Positron gives you two responses - "Talk about what's going on in Steel Canyon" and "Talk about what's going on in the rest of the city" and the latter reads like the generic "talk about what else is going on" dialogue loop option but it's actually how you pick part 2.

And yeah, DFB and DiB are done via the LFG queue.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 10, 2022

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks! It looks like you're right:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Ernesto_Hess_Task_Force

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Katie_Hannon_Task_Force

I can't remember if I ever accessed Cimerora on live, but I'll take a look at how to access it. edit: looks like you need a badge to enter the connecting zone:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Midnighter_Club

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Take the TUNNEL to Night Ward, enter the Midnight Mansion in the middle of the maze to trigger an exploration badge, boom you're now considered a Midnight Squad member.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Montague_Castanella
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Ashley_McKnight

These are the people want to talk to, Hero and Villain, do their story arc and that gives you the badge and access to the Midnight club and thus Cimmeroa.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey uhhhh friendly reminder to actually engage with the Incarnate system.

My fire farmer had almost all the slots unlocked, tons of resources and threads. Whoops!!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I always love running into someone vet level 50+ who you can tell from the target screen doesn't have the t3 alpha level shift. Especially if it's clearly not a farmer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seventh Arrow posted:

So I've been looking over some of the trials and task forces and it seems like the only prereq is the level range, right? Like if I want to start Yin's task force, I was under the impression that one needed to have completed her mission arc but nowadays that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems I just need to be in the right level range, in a group, and then talk to the NPC, yes?

I'm recalling now that I've seen more than one person having trouble starting Positron's second TF.

Likewise, if I want to start DfB or DiB, I just need to put my (4+) group in the LFG queue, correct?

If you're deliberately doing DFB or DIB without a full group you may want to lock the event to your group so it doesn't wait around trying to fill it up.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

When Homecoming first came about I made a character with the blue orb head named "Very Small Planet" and his backpack was the waterfall backpack, so it looked like it was just constantly flowing water

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Concurred posted:

When Homecoming first came about I made a character with the blue orb head named "Very Small Planet" and his backpack was the waterfall backpack, so it looked like it was just constantly flowing water

I made a similar character named "Wet Willy"

City of Heroes is a land of contrasts.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was looking up guides on how to make more inf...I'm not sure I want to do AE farming but I saw that enhancement converters cost a little merit but earn you a buttload of $$$. I assume that they're used in high-end recipes by people who have somehow burned through a lot of merit?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
They're used by people to convert set IOs to something in the set either not in stock that they need or more expensive they can flip for a profit

TFing for merits to convert to merits and sell is an entirely reasonable alternative to farming that is more fun and can be done with any build

Also some TFs get you knock off hami-Os that can sell for a lot

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Oh yeah you're right, I was mostly looking at this:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/2688-how-to-make-millions-on-the-market-in-minutes/?tab=comments#comment-20848

and further on down there's info on converting enhancements for fun & profit

This will hopefully help keep my 9 million alts stocked with enhancements! Like for example The Masked Hoser, proud Canadian Defender:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh yeah you're right, I was mostly looking at this:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/2688-how-to-make-millions-on-the-market-in-minutes/?tab=comments#comment-20848

and further on down there's info on converting enhancements for fun & profit

This will hopefully help keep my 9 million alts stocked with enhancements! Like for example The Masked Hoser, proud Canadian Defender:

He'd have fun with Doug McKenzie, proud Beer-o-mancer

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This is my 23 scrapper, am I ok to use these generic-ish IO's until 50?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Looks okayish? The one thing that sticks out to me is I usually like to, when levelling, put two extra slots into stamina just to make extra sure I never have to worry about END, but I wouldn't be shocked if that was overkill on my part.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i remember the days when you 6-slotted stamina and you liked it

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

No you're right about the stamina, I notice that once you get in your 20s that blue bar starts to dip closer and closer to zero - so putting some more slots in Stamina, or adding some Endurance Reduction enhancements is the way to go. I notice now that powers seem to be able to be slotted with more than 6 enhancements, which is nice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My general theory for slotting too tends to be to focus the couple of powers I see as my "main" rotation and six-slot them up first. Again, with the thought that this'll probably change when I hit 50 and re-engineer things. This is usually pretty important for the harder-hitting powers to get both recharge time down as well as % increasing generally doing better on things that have bigger numbers. It's not super scientific though, because I'll decide if a power needs more accuracy or lower recharge generally by feel more than anything else. And what sort of content I'm running and with who can also determine if I make small adjustments as I go or if the performance is "good enough" to get me to the point where I'm respeccing and making better informed decisions.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Seventh Arrow posted:

The generic IOs are really good at carrying you all the way to 50, yeah. From experienced I'd say you definitely wanna get some end redux into SR's toggles, and you'll probably want to pick up a few unique IOs for endurance as well.

For comparison, a level 50 endmod IO in Stamina gives 10.6 end/minute, so a regular 25 IO is pretty low impact by comparison. ime the Panacea and Performance Shifter is usually enough, but adding an extra slot onto Health for the Miracle isn't a bad idea either.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Do this:

-With all your defense toggles on, open the Powers list with the Powers button above the tray.
-Click "Combat Attributes" to see all your pretty numbers.
-Click the + next to "Defense" to get a look at your defense totals to various positions and damage types.

The thing about Defense is that it gets better and better the closer you get to the 45% softcap, but at the same time, is pretty negligible below like 25% or so. Basically, at 45% you're dodging roughly 90% of incoming attacks; at 25%, you're dodging roughly half. Because it's evasion and therefore probabilistic, dodging half attacks means that *sometimes* you'll dodge a lot, and *sometimes* you'll eat dirt. I personally hate that, so I usually don't bother with Defense until I'm able to stack it up to about 35%+. This is why so many people take things like Combat Jumping and Weave, so they can stack as much as possible to get to the softcap.

If you can't get your defense above about 20%, IMO you're better off just ignoring it and focusing on killing as quick as you can. I don't know exactly where your defenses are, but I'm guessing they're still too low to matter much, so personally I'd respec out of that and six-slot all my attacks instead - one or two acc, three or four damage depending on where the numbers end up at that stage, the rest end or procs if you can afford them.

And yeah, three-slotted stamina is good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My general theory for IOs tends to be obsessively tinkering in Mid's for months with field testing in Incarnate trials causing me to revise and refresh until every iota of performance has been squeezed from the stone :byodood:

(Listen to the others they have better general advice)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zzMisc posted:

Do this:

-With all your defense toggles on, open the Powers list with the Powers button above the tray.
-Click the + next to "Defense" to get a look at your defense totals to various positions and damage types.

- right click one of the ones you care about and select "monitor"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

- right click one of the ones you care about and select "monitor"

This is hugely helpful for figuring out if a power is actually contributing. Thanks for the reminder!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

zzMisc posted:

Do this:

The thing about Defense is that it gets better and better the closer you get to the 45% softcap, but at the same time, is pretty negligible below like 25% or so. Basically, at 45% you're dodging roughly 90% of incoming attacks; at 25%, you're dodging roughly half. Because it's evasion and therefore probabilistic, dodging half attacks means that *sometimes* you'll dodge a lot, and *sometimes* you'll eat dirt. I personally hate that, so I usually don't bother with Defense until I'm able to stack it up to about 35%+. This is why so many people take things like Combat Jumping and Weave, so they can stack as much as possible to get to the softcap.

If you can't get your defense above about 20%, IMO you're better off just ignoring it and focusing on killing as quick as you can. I don't know exactly where your defenses are, but I'm guessing they're still too low to matter much, so personally I'd respec out of that and six-slot all my attacks instead - one or two acc, three or four damage depending on where the numbers end up at that stage, the rest end or procs if you can afford them.

And yeah, three-slotted stamina is good.

I see what you mean. My melee and ranged aren't bad but everything else seems to be a garbage fire:

I like the idea of being untouchable, but I fear that doing so will require a bunch of super expensive IO's.

Funny thing is, I remember the same build being more effective on live back in the day. But either it could be rose-colored glasses or some sort of post-2005(ish) nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
The good news is that attacks from mobs always roll against the higher defense value where applicable.

The bad news is that there are (fortunately rare) attacks that are untyped, and whether that's deliberately to screw with high defense builds or just programmer oversight is up in the air.

Thirdly, consider grabbing Combat Jumping from the Leaping pool - it's a little bit of extra defense AND gives you a higher jump height with air control.