Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Got a user who's just tech savvy enough to be dangerous. His webcam stopped working, and he furiously mashed the Update and Restart buttons until he was on Windows 11. Rolled him back to 10, still no luck. Checked the BIOS, camera is enabled. Resetting Windows now...

If he's using it in a browser make sure you check the browser camera permissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Windows also has a catch-all "allow apps to access your camera" toggle.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah I keep hearing about the great job market but it doesn’t seem that way. Just seems like a lot of people are leaving lovely jobs… but firms aren’t making *better* jobs to try and get them back, just posting the same poo poo.

E: I also vaguely recall something about how a significant number of job openings on the market aren’t actually real - it’s a way for organizations to milk the PPP and get money. So the job market is not as juicy as it looks.

Might be regional/industry based, but my wife and I are in different industries and we are both flooded with recruiter calls and it is difficult to hire/retain people because each good candidate has multiple offers. There are probably minimally overlapping circles between lovely jobs and non-lovely jobs though. I could leave my job in a second and get a newer, better job. The only reason I don't is due to random covid stuff like school/daycare getting shutdown for 2 weeks and I have a ton of flexibility to deal with that now, while at a new place I would not have the same "tenure" to work off and on throughout the day while taking care of kids or whatever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

After I'm done with school I'm going to try and make the transition to full time fire or EMS.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pulled 502 for the first time in over a year yesterday.

Felt good.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Pulled 502 for the first time in over a year yesterday.

Felt good.

Fiz not sure why you're bragging about picking up half ton BBWs at the bar in the chat thread

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hey, you try carrying her over the threshold.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pain of Mind posted:

Might be regional/industry based, but my wife and I are in different industries and we are both flooded with recruiter calls and it is difficult to hire/retain people because each good candidate has multiple offers. There are probably minimally overlapping circles between lovely jobs and non-lovely jobs though. I could leave my job in a second and get a newer, better job. The only reason I don't is due to random covid stuff like school/daycare getting shutdown for 2 weeks and I have a ton of flexibility to deal with that now, while at a new place I would not have the same "tenure" to work off and on throughout the day while taking care of kids or whatever.

What are your industries?

The only things I see going nuts are tech and nurses.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I did not expect Book of Boba Fett to end with Boba riding a rancor like a kaiju and wrecking two mechagodzillas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Got around to watching Eternals yesterday and it was the definition of a waste of time. Just another Marvel movie mostly by the numbers with lots of CGI battles. Wasn't bad enough to laugh at, wasn't good enough to remember even what happens. I guess it existed to move the rest of the MCU forward after Endgame killed off that storyline.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

I did not expect Book of Boba Fett to end with Boba riding a rancor like a kaiju and wrecking two mechagodzillas.

It was a fun enough episode, but ultimately Boba Fett himself ends the episode the same person we was at the start and in basically the same position. In the teaser at the end of Mandalorian S2 he’s sitting on the throne in Jabba’s palace, presumably in charge of Tatooine. At the end of the show, he’s still on the throne and all we’ve really gained on his end is a vague sense of how he became the person we met in the Mandalorian last season, and how he tied up some loose ends back on Tatooine after that.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Tech and Biotech/Pharma.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I assume construction is still hot, I think it’s been on fire since the end of the pandemic lockdown.

On my end, I know we haven’t been able to hire fast enough as oil has ramped up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

I assume construction is still hot, I think it’s been on fire since the end of the pandemic lockdown.

On my end, I know we haven’t been able to hire fast enough as oil has ramped up.

A large part of it, in every industry, is capital not wanting to pay money for workers. CNN did a profile last summer on this struggling roofing company owner having to do the work himself, because no one was willing to work for the princely sum of $18 an hour, he finally started getting applicants when he raised wages to $23-25 and hour.

Not mentioned at any point in the story, median wage for a roofer is about $33. Can't imagine why people don't want to do difficult labor, on a roof, in August, for 2/3rds the going rate.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bird in a Blender posted:

Got around to watching Eternals yesterday and it was the definition of a waste of time. Just another Marvel movie mostly by the numbers with lots of CGI battles. Wasn't bad enough to laugh at, wasn't good enough to remember even what happens. I guess it existed to move the rest of the MCU forward after Endgame killed off that storyline.

i thought it was well past bad enough to laugh at but different strokes i guess

I couldn't even finish it it was so loving dumb

Pain of Mind posted:

Tech and Biotech/Pharma.

Well, make sure to understand that things may not exactly be the same for the rest of us plebes

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I originally had in my post "That screaming you hear is LeeMajors" but decided against it!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Samadhi posted:

Fiz not sure why you're bragging about picking up half ton BBWs at the bar in the chat thread

Half ton?

Hey, two chicks at the same time

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
my friends, I come to you hat in hand, an idiot and a luddite, asking some very basic questions on how to set up a new Windows 11 Home laptop.

I bought a Dell/Alienware R4 laptop, but I have heard whisperings that I should do a 'clean install' of Windows 11 Home to remove the bloatware that comes with it, and to generally improve PC performance. This is my first new computer in like 8 years, and I've mainly used Apple computers so I barely know what I am doing. I don't know what things like BIOS are.

1. What is the easiest way to clean install Windows 11? I have my product key and a 128G formatted USB flash drive. Should I download Windows 11 to the USB from Microsoft's website, and update my BIOS settings to boot from that USB, and do it that way? Along the way I will use the third-party software "Rufus" to help in some way. I feel like I could really screw this up and permanently damage my computer perhaps, I once remember my dad telling me never to mess with the BIOS, but he is aware I am an idiot and was maybe considering that.

2. What is the best anti-virus software?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is there a general guide for how to set up a new Windows PC in 2022? Like what software is good to have, like, f.lux for blue light reduction, etc. I suppose I will use Firefox as my browser.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Windows 10 has a blue light filter functionality built-in.

The built-in security/firewall/defender/whatever is perfectly sufficient unless you have a habit of trawling Russian :files: sites.

Ninite is really helpful for creating a one-and-done package of any apps you want to install on a new computer.

If you have a big monitor, FancyZones is dope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pron on VHS posted:

Is there a general guide for how to set up a new Windows PC in 2022? Like what software is good to have, like, f.lux for blue light reduction, etc. I suppose I will use Firefox as my browser.

This is a weird one, but (and this is just for reading, not creating or editing, because I don't do that) Microsoft Edge, the default web browser, is my favorite PDF reader. It's just super clean and easy. I mostly use Chrome for actual web browsing, but Firefox is fine.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1491497039544340482?t=L9LLhPgypGKr3-i1HEASHA&s=19

Tommy accidentally making a great case for blind trusts for elected reps.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Incredible. No notes.

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1491462162426089473?t=ekXMA4zOsrSYkTSAtgaoog&s=19

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I too support reaping but not sowing, never sowing

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Adams is the first politician post Trump to really nail that Trump energy. Dumber than dogshit dude with the unearned confidence to completely ignore his many failings is for some reason catnip for a large portion of of the American people.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lots of Americans are very stupid so they love a dumb guy politician

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/status/1491264523155947521

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1491509925763338251

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Looks like quartz granite countertop

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Does this mean Disenchanmemt is officially done (I am only like 2 episodes into the new season).

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kinda feel like they should just let it die at this point :shrug:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

I watched through all of Futurama a few years ago, and pretty much every memorable thing from the show was in the first season. Hopefully this revival is better than every other revival.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pain of Mind posted:

I watched through all of Futurama a few years ago, and pretty much every memorable thing from the show was in the first season. Hopefully this revival is better than every other revival.

Wait they already did a mediocre revival (with a few great episodes scattered throughout)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Futurama is like Disenchantment on Netflix. What if we make something in the Simpson art style, give Matt Groening an Ex Producer credit and then push it as if he is deeply involved!!?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pron on VHS posted:

my friends, I come to you hat in hand, an idiot and a luddite, asking some very basic questions on how to set up a new Windows 11 Home laptop.

I bought a Dell/Alienware R4 laptop, but I have heard whisperings that I should do a 'clean install' of Windows 11 Home to remove the bloatware that comes with it, and to generally improve PC performance. This is my first new computer in like 8 years, and I've mainly used Apple computers so I barely know what I am doing. I don't know what things like BIOS are.

1. What is the easiest way to clean install Windows 11? I have my product key and a 128G formatted USB flash drive. Should I download Windows 11 to the USB from Microsoft's website, and update my BIOS settings to boot from that USB, and do it that way? Along the way I will use the third-party software "Rufus" to help in some way. I feel like I could really screw this up and permanently damage my computer perhaps, I once remember my dad telling me never to mess with the BIOS, but he is aware I am an idiot and was maybe considering that.

2. What is the best anti-virus software?

I've never done a clean install. I just uninstall/delete all the crap I can. Plus I got a prebuilt from a company that makes gaming PCs, so it didn't have any of that proprietary garbage like Dell, HP etc. have. I imagine you would just put windows on a new boot drive like a USB, format your original boot disc, then install windows from the USB drive

Here's 6 different ways to do it from people who (probably) actually know though:

https://pureinfotech.com/clean-install-windows-11/

It might not be necessary though, first you'd want to figure out exactly what bloatware does or doesn't come with the laptop and see if some of that stuff might actually be useful (usually it isn't).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1491497039544340482?t=L9LLhPgypGKr3-i1HEASHA&s=19

Tommy accidentally making a great case for blind trusts for elected reps.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dumber than dogshit dude with the unearned confidence to completely ignore his many failings is for some reason catnip for a large portion of of the American people.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Lots of people in here (and everywhere, I guess) need to take a gander at the negotiation thread.

It's a different world out there if you're willing to leave your current position.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pain of Mind posted:

Bender being a god was third season, and Jurassic Bark was fourth :colbert:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tuberville is more like a Rick Perry . Sure, stupid and self confident but the "self-confidence" is false bravado. In the recesses of his soul Tommy Tuberville knows he is useless. Just wiggling around like a worm trying to eat all he can. If you ever push on him he collapses into a pile of goo.

Trump and Adams firmly believe themselves to be superior to all other people. The average dog has better tools for self examination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The first run of Futurama was terrific. Every season has a couple gems. The movies and CC revival were flawed but fine. Resurrecting it again seems a pretty obvious mistake.