Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/matt_sheldrake/status/1491212178590171136?t=2-K3Tr9jtDeXqFPSa9-HkQ&s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Starsfan posted:

I think it was already in the works prior to the "truckers" protests for what it's worth.. Was already announced last week before they blockaded the border at southern Alberta to my recollection that the UCP would have a very special announcement for their demented followers coming up.

Yeah I just remembered he has his big leadership review in early April, so all the restrictions were always going to be gone by then. No way he keeps his jobs without the "covid isn't real" MLAs.

So in conclusion:

HappyHippo posted:

The annoying thing is that this was going to happen relatively soon anyway but now the "truckers" are going to take credit for it

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
More outposts forming in Ottawa:

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1491394025651576836

Fed knives out for OPS:

https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/1491261674015584257

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lars Blitzer posted:

Look for further idiocy and active malice in equal measure in the coming days.

You might as well predict the sun will rise tomorrow.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

There had better be a reckoning for this when it’s all said and done. So sick of categorical failures by leadership that are not met with any sort of response.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
On the one hand, he's a police officer, on the other hand, he's a Black man in a leadership position. Hard to say which way they're going to go.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

There had better be a reckoning for this when it’s all said and done. So sick of categorical failures by leadership that are not met with any sort of response.

The reckoning will be lots of praise and medals and cash bonuses for all the brave Ottawa police officers. Peter Sloly will be appointed to the Senate. I take no joy in reporting this.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Lol that building to the right in the first picture is CSE.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
So, as an Ottawan, Sloly sucks. But: From what he's said in the emergency council meeting vs. what people have been hearing from the cops on the streets and their actions, it seems to me that there is at least something of a 'quiet' mutiny occurring in the OPS. He was shown footage of occupiers walking past a police SUV with fuel containers and said it must have been old footage seeing as how they had announced charges for anybody supplying the occupiers. But it was from that same day.

He is ineffective yes, but I believe he has no idea what's actually happening out there and that any directives that he's giving are basically being ignored by his own officers.

He has lost control of his own force.

I think he had good intentions with ideas of reforming the OPS but the pandemic and all this happened and it may now be too late.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yup. All of this absolutely REEKS of Mutt Scuff. Not that taking the reins and calling yourself a reformer is going to make you a whole lot of friends, but I get the impression he lost the room early, and it's the head of the not-a-union-union who makes the calls around here.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Police cannot be reformed from the inside. It has to be a powerful and well armed external force mandated to investigate and arrest police.

Has any country ever successfully had such a force?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pretend I posted a video of myself trying to hold up a copy of the Knapp Commission report, but being unable to, because I'm laughing too hard to sit upright

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Some chucklefuck in Winnipeg is trying to organize a flash mob of antimaskers to descend on the city's largest mall on Saturday. If I'm there when the cackle of Karen's descend, I'll give you all a trip report.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1491427102989889538?s=20&t=yK5mCv7dYXB661uX7xUdiQ

at least he apologized, I guess

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Ottawa police have done poorly. There are reasons for this, including that their chief is pushing through badly needed reform so half the force hates his guts. But, relevant question here, how much funding does the Federal Government provide to the OPS, who apparently they depend upon for this kind of thing?

quote:

Since 2010, the Federal Government has provided the City of Ottawa with compensation in the amount of $2 million a year, to cover the costs associated with providing extraordinary policing services in the nation’s capital that are not otherwise covered by a cost-recovery agreements tied to specific events.
https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/annu...pital---2000000

That seems low!

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Fidelitious posted:

I just hope that all the eyes on this event forces this conclusion to be discussed in the open. Our officials and public need to realize we have a lovely praetorian guard out there. The worst thing that can happen now is he takes the fall and resigns or is canned and everyone moves on.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

super cool and good that our law enforcement officials can be given orders to enforce the law and they just decide "nah fam I'm good" with zero consequences.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I keep hearing "we can't tow the trucks away!"

Arrest the owners
Take the keys
Drive them away

Or would this be considered an illegal seizure?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Nah, as much as I hate the whole concept of civil forfeiture the cops absolutely could seize trucks and cars. But they won't.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Beaverton has a pretty good take on how the police are dealing with it

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/02/ottawa-police-announce-new-strategy-for-dealing-with-freedom-convoy-protestors-unconditional-surrender/

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

So, as an Ottawan, Sloly sucks. But: From what he's said in the emergency council meeting vs. what people have been hearing from the cops on the streets and their actions, it seems to me that there is at least something of a 'quiet' mutiny occurring in the OPS. He was shown footage of occupiers walking past a police SUV with fuel containers and said it must have been old footage seeing as how they had announced charges for anybody supplying the occupiers. But it was from that same day.

He is ineffective yes, but I believe he has no idea what's actually happening out there and that any directives that he's giving are basically being ignored by his own officers.

I think he had good intentions with ideas of reforming the OPS but the pandemic and all this happened and it may now be too late.

Just disband the loving OPS at this point. What they're currently doing is worse than nothing. They can all re-apply for their jobs when this is over, and the insubordinate ones should lose their loving pensions.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

LeschNyhan posted:

Nah, as much as I hate the whole concept of civil forfeiture the cops absolutely could seize trucks and cars. But they won't.

It wouldn't need to be civil forfeiture. If a guy is waving a gun around in public and you arrest him and take the gun its not civil forfeiture.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

terrorist ambulance posted:

It wouldn't need to be civil forfeiture. If a guy is waving a gun around in public and you arrest him and take the gun its not civil forfeiture.

Also, cops can seize whatever they want on the the spot. If they get it wrong, it will get sorted out in the courts 6-18 months later.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Alctel posted:

I don't think it's ICU numbers that are the problem, they are still fairly low, but it's general hospitalisation rates that are really high right now

I feel Christy Clark was more chuddy but the more recent BC Lib leaders (who I cannot even name) have definitely been more on the money-laundering/real estate side of the party. I don't actually recall hearing a peep from them in an age and have no idea of their position

Last I checked BC reports incidental covid cases as hospitalisations, so if you break your arm and test positive for covid, that's a covid hospitalization. Some states have seen over 50% incidental covid rates. I think I saw an estimate that BC was 45% for December. Anyway, it's useful to contextualize hospitalizations with this information.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Arrest the owners
Take the keys
Drive them away

Can you ouroboros a truck so you can't tow it away?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Last I checked BC reports incidental covid cases as hospitalisations, so if you break your arm and test positive for covid, that's a covid hospitalization. Some states have seen over 50% incidental covid rates. I think I saw an estimate that BC was 45% for December. Anyway, it's useful to contextualize hospitalizations with this information.

This sounds like it could be the case (from a quick data processing standpoint, if nothing else), but it also sounds like something the proverbial Can-chud uncle would say. Where did this estimate come from? What about death counts?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
ah you see, this overweight middle aged guy with poorly controlled diabetes and hosed up blood pressure was admitted for a cardiac event and has COVID, it's not a problem though, he's just hospitalized WITH covid, not from it, open er the gently caress up

*death count increments by one 2 weeks later*

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

RedFlag posted:

This sounds like it could be the case (from a quick data processing standpoint, if nothing else), but it also sounds like something the proverbial Can-chud uncle would say. Where did this estimate come from? What about death counts?

From Denmark (sorry):

In week 1, 6/38 ICU admissions were not receiving COVID-specific treatment.
In week 2, 7/26.
Week 3, 7/17.
Week 4, 9/24.

So in January we see a chunk of ICU admits "with" COVID who were being treated in ICU for "something else" - running about a third in the latter 3/4 of January.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
also, very comforting that both Edmonton and Calgary boards of education have signalled this came as a surprise to them and they don't have any transitional planning. kids went to school today with no clear instruction on whether they're required to mask in school or not

clear signs of sober, deliberative decision making on public health

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Arrest the owners
Take the keys
Drive them away

Nope. S.221 allows the cops to take any apparently-abanded or unplated vehicle to a "suitable place"; it does not specify how. Even if the cop had the right license though, driving it probably violates some departmental policy; We had one forbidding us from driving a subject's vehicle, even a short distance, for liability and insurance reasons.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Can you ouroboros a truck so you can't tow it away?

Yes, but that's an offense:

HTA posted:

84.2 (1) Where any part of a vehicle or anything affixed to a vehicle becomes detached from the vehicle while it is on a highway, the driver of the vehicle is guilty of an offence. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 14.

Exception
(2) If a part or thing is detached from a vehicle for the purpose of carrying out a roadside repair, subsection (1) does not apply while the part or thing is so detached. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 14.
Penalty

(3) Upon conviction of an offence under subsection (1), the driver of the vehicle is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $2,000. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 14.
Same

(4) Where the vehicle from which the part or thing becomes detached is a commercial motor vehicle, a vehicle drawn by a commercial motor vehicle, a mobile crane or a road-building machine, the driver of the vehicle is liable on conviction to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $20,000, and not as provided in subsection (3). 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 14.
Licence suspension

(5) In addition to the penalty under subsection (3) or (4), as the case may be, the court may suspend the person’s driver’s licence for a period of not more than 60 days. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 14.

84.3 creates a similar offense of doing work on a vehicle that causes a part of it to detach while on a highway.

If you really wanted to be a dick, you could use your power under s.124 to order the driver to have his vehicle weighed -- but you'd probably lose that one for abuse of process.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RedFlag posted:

https://biv.com/article/2022/02/incidental-covid-19-hospitalizations-bc-are-about-44-total posted:

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said health officials conducted chart reviews of 550 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, starting on December 1, and discovered that 344, or 44.3 per cent of them, were in hospital initially for a reason that was not their COVID-19 infection, and that these infections were mild.

I saw some actual data on this somewhere(sorry, don't have time to dig it up this second), but here is an article that talks about some other places in the states.

https://www.ft.com/content/9e29ad1c-b0a5-4b7d-b569-f1f8dd0e8e04 posted:

Statewide data on incidental admissions has only recently become available in places such as New York and Massachusetts, which have started collecting the data. In New York state, 42 per cent of Covid hospitalisations in New York state are incidental while in Los Angeles county the figure is two-thirds. In Florida, the Jackson Health System reported that out of their current 508 Covid-positive patients, 53 per cent were incidental admissions.

I don't know about the death counts. I was just trying to say that sky-high hospitalizations aren't necessarily as stark as they seem.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 9, 2022

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I mean I don't know why you wouldn't just arrest the driver and take their keys to gain access to the cab, or have a locksmith pick the lock on the cab, disable the air brakes and tow it away.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tsyni posted:

That's totally true, but the additional workload from covid cases still means that our hospitals are pretty full

Just less of them progress to ICU which is great

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1491506816391516162

Well the OPS have put out a statement and arrests may actually start to happen soon. Not holding my breath but this is at least somewhat promising

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Do you guys realize they put these same releases out every loving day? Nothing is going to happen.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

This was already announced once in the Canada Gazette, that's plenty.

Start hauling these assholes away.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

MNIMWA posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1491506816391516162

Well the OPS have put out a statement and arrests may actually start to happen soon. Not holding my breath but this is at least somewhat promising

Well that all sounds well and good but who is actually going to enforce all of this?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Madkal posted:

Well that all sounds well and good but who is actually going to enforce all of this?

Antifa Supersoldiers, hopefully.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

“Working class protest” = loving over actual workers with your petulant bullshit

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...e-blockade.html

quote:

Ontario auto plants, including Ford and Stellantis, reduce production due to Ambassador Bridge blockade

Ford Motor Company cut production at its Oakville Assembly Plant by 50 % on Tuesday while Stellantis sent 5,000 workers home from its Windsor plant.

By Jacob Lorinc
Wed., Feb. 9, 2022

Several automotive assembly plants have reduced production and sent workers home due to ongoing blockades by protesters at the Ambassador Bridge that connects Windsor, Ont., with the United States.

Ford Motor Company reduced production at its Oakville Assembly Plant by 50 per cent on Tuesday as suppliers faced hours-long delays transporting auto parts across the border, according to the plant’s union.

Mark Sciberras, president of Unifor Local 707, says workers at the assembly plant were told their shifts would be reduced from eight to four hours per day due to the supply shortage.

Stellantis, a multinational auto-manufacturing company, also sent home 5,000 workers from its Windsor Assembly Plant on Tuesday citing “parts shortages.”

“Our plant ran short hours yesterday and is running short hours today as well,” said Sciberras.

The Oakville Assembly Plant employs roughly 3,000 workers.

The Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association says there are likely several more plants reducing capacity as a result of the blockade.

“I’m talking to plenty of members who’ve said they’ll have to slow down or shut down their operations today, because this is affecting production,” said Flavio Volpe, APMA President on Wednesday.

“Car manufacturers on both sides of the border are having a tough time getting volume.”

About $400 million in trade flows across the Ambassador Bridge every day. $100 million of that commerce is for the auto industry, said Volpe.

Most manufacturers function under a just-in-time delivery model that leaves enough parts only for a day or two before production is affected, said Volpe.

Protesters occupied the bridge over the weekend in a show of support for the trucker protest in Ottawa.

Also this guy is an idiot but pretty telling in how little law enforcement resistance there has been to the ambassador bridge occupation: “If I’m forced at gunpoint to leave, I’ll leave, not interested in getting beat up.”

Edit: talking about the second clip here, guy in the red

https://twitter.com/cityadrian/status/1491516961439862791?s=21