Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

External Organs posted:

I paid zero attention to video games from 2010 - 2018... What is (was?) scalebound?

Dude, you missed Reach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lammasu posted:

Dude, you missed Reach?

This is true

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1491099489612230660?t=ezpOS7sWcp6gpWrrXJlORQ&s=19

Good interview thread about/with Phil Spencer

quote:

Something that stood out to me when I recently interviewed Phil Spencer was his emphasis on rising player counts, which I think is key to understanding Microsoft's strategy. I want to share where that conversation went (warning: this will be a bunch of tweets!)

You might say, of course, game companies always boast about this stuff, but this metric seems key to Microsoft, which recently shared that Halo Infinite reached 20 million players, Forza Horizon 5 reached 18m. (remember, that was helped with mixes of Game Pass and free-to-play)

Spencer to me: "I love the Forza 5 and Halo stats...I love how many people played Psychonauts 2 vs. Psychonauts 1. "So, when I look at the teams, when Todd and I talk about Starfield, it's: 'How do we make sure this is the most-played Todd Howard game ever?'"

(Bear in mind Todd's team made Skyrim) He continued: "As a platform, I think we have a lot to do with that. Quality of the title is number one, no doubt about that...

"But that will be success for me for the individual games: Can we really make these games–can we allow them to reach more players than they've ever seen before? And I say that because I believe in the social impact of interactive entertainment."

Since we were talking in the wake of the Microsoft-buying-Activision announcement, I wondered: Meaning, make Call of Duty and World of Warcraft even more popular? Like, how??

Spencer: "Yeah, I want more people to be playing WoW in five years that are playing today. I want more people to be playing Call of Duty in five years, more people to be playing Candy Crush in five years, because we've made it more accessible to more people."

How can Todd's next game reach more people if you're skipping a key platform? I asked him this.

I asked about whether Microsoft's policies in general could really be as generous as he makes them sound, because there are catches, no?

"Well, that specific question of, 'Hey, there's only one place that I want to play games. And if that game doesn't end up on the one place that I want to play that has its own business requirements for me as a creator…those people can go play those games...

...They're just going to say, I'm choosing not to, because it's not on the one device that has its specific [trails off]. So I get that."

Stepping back, I asked Spencer about his rep among gamers as head of Xbox. To some, he seems to nice, too complimentary of competitors, too generous with deals like Xbox Game Pass, and surely the other shoe will drop. "You're looking for the evil Phil," he joked.

"I see people tweeting at me: 'Hey, there's nothing altruistic about Phil Spencer, head of Xbox.' "I don't know if I'd say there's nothing...I have a vision about the role that video games can play. But I am in charge of running a business inside of a publicly traded company"

"What I think we've been able to do--and this is from our perspective--is we've built a strategy that I think is supportive of players and creators" He notes competitors won't love all that they do and says he'll play hardball when ended (said he did for Minecraft crossplay)

"We were going to be forceful in that conversation, understanding that in previous generations we we had been on the other side. I wasn't making those calls, but still, I if you're looking at Xbox, you say, Hey that's different."

"I think people who point out it's just a suit or somebody who's running a business, I'm absolutely running a business...my responsibility, the teams, is I'm going to continue to run a good business so this company continues to support us I think that's a primary responsibility"

Circling back to skepticism of Xbox's plan: "I feel like I can't prove this negative. [People ask] when is the Game Pass price is going to get go up? 'They're buying all these studios. You know, it's inevitable.' Even though it's been what, now, four years we haven't raised it."

"But it's like, 'You know, it's coming' 'When they are number one, they're going to start doing all those exclusive deals that, like, you know, Xbox has history' and all I can do is is make the decisions that are in front of us and try to be explicit about what our goals are"

(Folks, if you did a double-take when he said they won't do exclusive deals, me too, but we already went down that road higher in the thread)

Back to Spencer: "I honestly mean... you can see it with Forza and Halo the last releases. Those are the most played games in those franchises because we made them available on more screens than we ever have, through more business models than we've ever made them available."

And there you go. One extra. Re: Blizzard: "You and I grew up at a time where Blizzard was almost as synonymous as Pixar in terms of quality. That's where I aspire those brands to get to get to, and I'd love the opportunity to go work with creative teams to make that possible

He sees the chatter

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Laserface posted:

4k60 Viva Pinata remaster when

man, those games still look fuckin amazing, and also were just outstanding games in general. shame they weren't brown and grey and edgy enough for the gaming market of that era and totally flopped.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They did well enough to get a cartoon adaptation. It only lasted a season but it’s something

E:Two seasons, huh who woulda guessed

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't judge people who like the retro look and 8 bit games and all that, but man I've spent my life trying to get away from graphics like that. My first console was an Atari 2600, and every generation of console since has made me never want to return to the generation before it. Last gen titles are still fine as there's not not that much difference yet, but I don't replay 360 games because I just can't enjoy the graphics.

I feel like there is a window of acceptable. Gamepass early on when there were no S/X games made me play a lot of older stuff and I've spent more time than I should on the Switch's NES/SNES feature.

Like XBONE games on Series X? If 30 fps it's amazing how quickly I can no longer play them. FPS boosted stuff is great sure but I tried Dishonored 2 and immediately uninstalled. Prey might as well be a Series X game to me, I couldn't tell it was previous gen. Similarly on a Series X Forza 4 and 5 both look great but I wouldn't really notice they're made for different gens.

360 games? A lot of them are really starting to show their age and I'm quickly realizing the 360/PS3 era is my least favorite for games. Way too many games tried very hard to start sacrificing gameplay for being cinematic, but today they don't hold up either as games or experiences. Miracle that the Souls series started here

PS2 games like FFX with a slap of slightly newer models on there? Some of them oddly look better than PS3 games. Go check out FF12 before it leaves gamepass; yes it was retouched but still looks ridiculously good for a game that old. Master Chief Collection Halo 1 still looks really good too.

PS1 games it really depends, some of them aged like absolute poo poo but I can happily still play an FF8 or FF9.

The thing with 16 bit SNES graphics for the most part is they actually look great, it's just an artstyle that fell out of fashion. But it's way better to have great 2D art than 3D art that was clearly held back by the hardware. NES games start to be hit and miss, there were a lot of games on there that clearly were held back by terrible hardware. Everything before NES I agree generally does not look good, 2600 stuff is unpleasant

I still think some of my favorite games looks-wise are GBA games that were remaking SNES games though.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Master Chief Collection Halo 1 still looks really good too.

This is a weird one for me. I've played a LOT of halo 1 in all it's forms, and I have to say the Xbox graphics are "better" than the anniversary graphics. They aren't as realistic, but they painted over a lot of the "personality" of the game. "Ambiance"?

I'm not sure the best word for it, but there's an elevator that shows it perfectly. In the original you're going down slowly and there's a little blood on the wall. Then more. Then HOLY poo poo WHAT HAPPENED HERE! and in the updated graphics there's like one blood splatter hallway down. So you're just waiting for the next section instead of being like WTF!

I'm not sure how prevalent that is in remasters, butthe GTA ones have the same issue. Just lost the vibe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the term you're looking for is art direction

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This seems pretty nifty, the ability to remap the share button to all kinds of things. I particularly the Invert Y axis option, for times when you're passing the controller back and forth with someone who doesn't appreciate the beauty of the inverted Y.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2022/...jZVWKEzm-YSxjdg

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

This seems pretty nifty, the ability to remap the share button to all kinds of things. I particularly the Invert Y axis option, for times when you're passing the controller back and forth with someone who doesn't appreciate the beauty of the inverted Y.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2022/...jZVWKEzm-YSxjdg

You mean non degenerates?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone using inverted controls in TYOOL 2022 is a creaky old grump who needs to get with the times!!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone using inverted controls in TYOOL 2022 is a creaky old grump who needs to get with the times!!!!

You can have my inverted y when you pry my controller from my cold dead hands (and then press the conveniently remapped share button)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still feel like an old man whenever I try using a controller for fpses. Just turning sooooo slowwwwww

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hey, does the “buy three years of Live Gold for ~$180 and exchange for three years of Game Pass Ultimate for $1 more” deal/trick still work?

Asking for somebody who hasn’t joined Game Pass yet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1491464634913763331
More free Quake stuff!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hey, does the “buy three years of Live Gold for ~$180 and exchange for three years of Game Pass Ultimate for $1 more” deal/trick still work?

Asking for somebody who hasn’t joined Game Pass yet

Yep!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

priznat posted:

I still feel like an old man whenever I try using a controller for fpses. Just turning sooooo slowwwwww

I feel like an old man whenever I try any first person game, they feel like wearing blinders. I wish I could get used to it but nope.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know what is inverted and what isn't and I don't know until I hold a controller and try to play the game which one is right and which one is wrong.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Always invert everything, it's the way.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I leave the controller normal but invert my hands.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

more and more game have options to invert the x-axis and just like, why, who the gently caress inverts the x-axis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

more and more game have options to invert the x-axis and just like, why, who the gently caress inverts the x-axis

some people in third person games, i think

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

priznat posted:

Never not turn up sensitivity.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

doingitwrong posted:

Never not turn up sensitivity.

I roleplay as a slow moving tank in all FPS games

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I just fly my aiming all over the place if sensitivity is cranked, I have "stupid thumbs"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I just fly my aiming all over the place if sensitivity is cranked, I have "stupid thumbs"

I will gently caress UP the ground if I get shot I swear to god please don't hit me with your bullets

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

highme posted:

I leave the controller normal but invert my hands.

Forum rakasha found.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played Unreal in '98, Half-life and the first few months of Unreal Tournament with a gamepad on my left hand for analog movement, jumping and using, and mouse on right hand for shooting/aiming/weapon selection.

I think lots of us did worse things than used inverted aim on FPSs.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I used to play UT99 (in Proving Grounds clan matches...) with a Panther XL.

Circle strafing was awesome. Pull the stick to the side, roll the track ball and hold the trigger. It actually worked a lot better than it sounds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

To be fair I’m also terrible at PvP with m+kb

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Any suggestions for things like Psychonauts 2 on gamepass for just a good feeling platformer? Like, the movement in that game is just so perfect.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Brains work different and it can be an additional accessibility option. I don't know why you'd complain about alternate control schemes that have no negative bearing on your experience.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

Any suggestions for things like Psychonauts 2 on gamepass for just a good feeling platformer? Like, the movement in that game is just so perfect.

Psychonauts 1 is also really, really good even though it's almost 20 years old.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You can have my inverted y when you pry my controller from my cold dead hands (and then press the conveniently remapped share button)

:emptyquote:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Unfortunately there's not many like it, especially not on Game Pass. The original Psychonauts, if you've never played it, still holds up rather well.

Super Lucky's Tale comes close, though it is more in line with the 3D Mario lineage. (there's also New Super Lucky's Tale, which is a remaster)

Destroy All Humans? More of an action game than a platformer, originally made to ride the wave of semi-open world GTA-likes back in the PS2/Xbox era.

Control? It's an action shooter, but there's some platforming involved, also lots of floating and dashing around enemies.

...the Banjo & Kazooie games, if you've never played them? Much older but worth a try.

Lastly, these are 2D platformers but they all have (IMO) good movement controls: Hollow Knight, the two Ori games and Celeste (I think this one isn't on GP anymore).

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Is Omno any good? It seems like it has some interesting 3D platforming movement options, but I've never played it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I dunno. The best FEELING games I ever played were web slinging in Spider-Man 2 and riding a motorcycle in GTA: Vice City for the first time. If psychonauts feels that good it's the best advertisment for it I ever heard

Edit: neither of these are on gamepass. Im just talking, not being helpful.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Haven't played it much, but exo one is supposed to be good when you get the hang of it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played deadly premonition 2 and it cured my invert-y problem
Now i cant go back but at least theres a silver lining to that trash game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I liked Exo One but it's not really a platformer. It's more about figuring out how to go fast and maintain speed with a weird vehicle. The movement is like skiing in Tribes, no other comparisons come to mind.