Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have intense logistics anxiety and it’s quite a cramped street, so anything where I have to get heavy machinery involved makes me itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also important to remember that I don’t really know what I’m doing and I’m figuring it all out 24 hours ahead like a lovely substitute teacher.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also important to remember that I don’t really know what I’m doing and I’m figuring it all out 24 hours ahead like a lovely substitute teacher.

I havent read the whole thread but what I've seen would indicate the opposite ;)

Anyways enough of my derail, looking forward to future updates!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

With the oven failing I decided to get a new one rather than try to repair it. It was the cheapest one available at the time as I only expected it to last 3 months. It's been 3 years. So I bought a nice Miele which I'll keep long term.

First step, unwire and remove the old one.

Next, wire in the pigtail that came with the new oven (old oven didn't have one).

The oven has to be at least 2mm off the floor for the door hinge to clear. I had this piece of worktop stacked up nearby so that'll do.

In place and plugged in. I removed the door (per manual's suggestion) before moving it since the door alone is 10kg.

All back together and ready to go.

I gave it an initial 1 hour at 250ºC to clear the inner coating and now it's ready for cookin'. Pyrolitic self-cleaning, telescoping tray arms, nice.

Once I'm ready to install it properly I'll unwire it so the electrician has plausible deniability.

I'll move the old one into the workshop at some point and repair it, use it for odd things that need a lovely oven out there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Are you not allowed to hook up your own oven per UK law I guess?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

It looks like it was changed in 2013 to only being an issue if a new circuit is needed, which is probably fine even if I had to hardwire it, but I dunno, it's all a bit murky. You were always allowed to do your own, you just had to notify the council if you weren't a registered electrician so they could check your work.

I'm not too bothered but when the proper installation happens it'll be along with other hob etc wiring so I'll get a sparky in for that bit anyway.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

tangy yet delightful posted:

anything actually involving wiring is heavily regulated basically everywhere that has building code enforcement (note he appears to be wiring it directly into the wall vs just plugging it in) for what are probably extremely obvious reasons

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

On the other hand, the "who's gonna know?" principle applies because despite being on the slow slide to a police state, your local council is not yet allowed to spot inspect your kitchen for suspicious appliances.

I actually think BT might be though due to some holdover from GPO law where interfering with a phone line termination was a crime, but the standard there is to say "it was like that when I got here" after you fitted your own nte5 box in contravention of their bullshit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, the thing here is that I (hope I) know my limits with electricity, and I'm comfortable wiring up colour-coded wires to a circuit I know was installed by a proper electrician for a similar device 5x the power draw. But that's about it. More complicated than that and I'd be bringing in an electrician, hence I'll be doing that anyway when it comes time to hook two ovens and two hobs to the same circuit.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

On the other hand, the "who's gonna know?" principle applies

In this case the "who" is the insurance company and the "when" is when the house burns down due to an "electrical fire from an improperly fitted electric oven".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, the thing here is that I (hope I) know my limits with electricity, and I'm comfortable wiring up colour-coded wires to a circuit I know was installed by a proper electrician for a similar device 5x the power draw. But that's about it. More complicated than that and I'd be bringing in an electrician, hence I'll be doing that anyway when it comes time to hook two ovens and two hobs to the same circuit.

In this case the "who" is the insurance company and the "when" is when the house burns down due to an "electrical fire from an improperly fitted electric oven".

yeah the first paragraph there is basically the only approach to electrical if you aren't an electrician. 'who is gonna know' of electrical fuckups is like 1: someone gets electrocuted 2: FIRE 3: fried electronics in expensive stuff or 4: an extremely broad range of problems down the road depending on how much you hosed up. and yeah the cost of it is that your insurance will pay out zero if your place burned down due to improperly installed appliances (or non certified appliances, for that matter)

As an aside, there are a ton of youtube videos out there of electricians trying to troubleshoot peoples' extremely bizarre home electrical dysfunctions due to amateur electrical work and it is absolutely wild how much stuff can go wrong from even single small mistakes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I mean, I should probably have said that this applies to the case of "remove 3 wires, replace with 3 identical wires" as with replacing a hard wired oven and not, say, running a bunch of Romex out of a window to power your garden shed (which I've seen. Do not recommend). JB clearly has the knowledge to do that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

It looks like it was changed in 2013 to only being an issue if a new circuit is needed, which is probably fine even if I had to hardwire it, but I dunno, it's all a bit murky. You were always allowed to do your own, you just had to notify the council if you weren't a registered electrician so they could check your work.

I'm not too bothered but when the proper installation happens it'll be along with other hob etc wiring so I'll get a sparky in for that bit anyway.
Interesting!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

anything actually involving wiring is heavily regulated basically everywhere that has building code enforcement (note he appears to be wiring it directly into the wall vs just plugging it in) for what are probably extremely obvious reasons
Yeah I'm trying to remember back about...8 years now when I installed a new dishwasher to replace an old broken one versus having the big box store installers do it for whatever their rate was. No permitting was even mentioned by the store/installer people. IIRC I was doing a hardwire for the dishwasher into the previous box so it wasn't a new circuit or box. Also this was TN and not a oven and also years ago.

Out of curiosity I looked up Oregon where I am now and looks like replacement appliances at 30 amps or less require no permit but over 30 amps or new and you'd need a permit. Some random oven on homedepot.com says 40 amps so likely any oven here would need a permit regardless. (well assuming it's not plugin I guess)

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I don't understand what any of this has to do with making a staircase

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You see, if you want to make a staircase from scrach you must first build a workshop. And if you want to build a workshop you need food. And to make food, you must first invent the universe. (You get an oven along one of these steps.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gasmask posted:

Pffft, lookit this newb yak shaver.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Gasmask posted:

Every time I open this thread I ask myself "Does JB have stairs in his house?" and each time the answer is "No, he is not yet protected". But he's going to have a baller workshop with which to make them.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Which rooms are completely finished?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gasmask posted:

presumably we're talking about a fully electrified home defense staircase, no??

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gasmask posted:

One step at a time.

Vim Fuego posted:

Which rooms are completely finished?

None of them. It's like one of those traffic jam mobile games.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Have you considered a neck popping zipline and a hastily engineered elevator made with automotive parts?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't know how much progress I'm going to make on this for a while. Work is really taking it out of me and I don't have much left for workng weekends too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
firemans pole

as a solution to more than one problem

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't know how much progress I'm going to make on this for a while. Work is really taking it out of me and I don't have much left for workng weekends too.

I landed here two+ years ago and my reno is frozen in time since. I’ve considered making a thread in order to feel more guilty about it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mr.belowaverage posted:

I landed here two+ years ago and my reno is frozen in time since. I’ve considered making a thread in order to feel more guilty about it.

Join us.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

80mph winds forecast here tomorrow. I give it even odds whether everything stays put.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I was just coming here to wonder what you were thinking.

Me too. you're still quite skeletal aren't you?

i'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose a breeze block gable

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I’m not super worried about the workshop as it’s braced and largely skeletal. Will be interested to see if the tarp over the wood pile survives, plus it’s the first serious storm for the new fence.

This is also the first time since I bought it that we’ve had winds this strong, so I’m going to have half an ear on the roof tiles tomorrow.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol i had my front and back door delivered today on a pallet.

Can't put them anywhere really so worryingly wind risky.

Put them behind the container to shield from the prevailing wind with the forks down to hold the pallet down lol

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh yeah I still have some glass propped up outside. Sheltered, at least.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The (still ongoing) storm was pretty ineffectual for me. The eyelets on the tarp finally gave way (after flipping several concrete paving slabs onto the ground) but the OSB is still mostly covered, so I can't be hosed to deal with that now. This weekend has been a weather mess so I did no more joists. Hopefully everything will chill out for next weekend? Other than that, couple of bales of insulation fell off the pile, that was it.

My neighbours' new sheds had their roofs start to peel up though.

In less funny (for me) news, the frequent power cuts during the storm were finally too much for my NAS, which will no longer boot. I suspect it's the power supply but I'll have to take it apart to find out. It's hard to get ahead when entropy has write-permissions on your to-do list. Better news is an FTTP provider is finally moving into the area so I should have gigabit internet by May. 10gb available if I want (at quite a cost).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So there's definitely no way it's going to be pouring rain and lashing gales this weekend? .... right?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

So there's definitely no way it's going to be pouring rain and lashing gales this weekend? .... right?

Best of luck!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Three more joists done.

The OSB stack has developed a noticable bend, I guess the ground under it wasn't as flat as I thought. Hopefully this won't be a problem later on.

With the bulk of the wind now gone, just pulled the tarp back over the stack and weighed it down a bit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nice, it's turning into a real structure!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Just for my own edification, is the workshop a side quest on the stairs storyline? Or another branch?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the stairs are going to get made in the workshop

there may have to be an interim workshop and or stairs though

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The workshop is just a staging area for new tools to craft the stairs

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The stairs were merely a gateway into a new thing I found I enjoy. I could finish the stairs with everything as-is, but I'm going to keep all this stuff around, so it'd be nice to get it out of the house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

house? surely the interim stair tools storage arena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I am a little puzzled why everyone is fixated on these stairs though. Why not let me have a nice thing that I want?