Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Arbite posted:

On another note, what's a good, light, Korean show about people persisting outside the law, something like the British Hustle.

Given the example of Leverage, maybe Taxi Driver(the series, not the movie) may be up your alley though I don’t know if I’d consider the series “light”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

sorry if it's been discussed to death already, but is Archive 81 any good?

The general consensus seems to be that if you haven’t listened to the podcast it’s based on, then the show is good. Fans of the podcasts seem to be pretty disappointed in it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess what I'm looking for is like the old Firewall & Iceberg podcast. The closest right now is the What We've Been Watching segment of The Filmcast (formerly the /Filmcast). Basically like a podcast form of this thread. :v:

I miss Firewall and Iceberg.

My TV recap fix mostly comes from the NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast and Post-show Recaps podcast. Pop Culture Happy Hour doesn't go nearly as deep as Firewall and Iceberg (and isn't just TV) and the Postshow Recaps podcast is actually show specific and not generalised like Firewall/Iceberg. I normally just pick episodes I want to hear the discussion for, the overall season primer/season recap episodes or seasons that have good hosts (the amount of shows being covered has expanded greatly, so it's no longer just Rob Cesternino/Josh Wigler). I absolutely loved their coverage of Watchmen, Lovecraft Country, Succession and Mr. Robot though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pam and Tommy’s obsession with using tracks from 98/99 in a show set in 95/96 is really jarring to me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Pam and Tommy’s obsession with using tracks from 98/99 in a show set in 95/96 is really jarring to me

Lol that's so specific

Someone needs to make a thread its such a good show

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Looten Plunder posted:

I miss Firewall and Iceberg.

Nothing can ever replicate the every few weeks schadenfreude of “here’s how NBC is failing now”, it was just perfect.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cael posted:

Nothing can ever replicate the every few weeks schadenfreude of “here’s how NBC is failing now”, it was just perfect.

I remember when WORK IT was announced and the guy in charge at the time was a Brit (I think) and was basically like this is old fashioned funny stuff and it's time to bring it back.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1491509925763338251

Here we go again...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

why

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait to see what Fry is doing in his 40s.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I really disliked Raylan by the end of season 6 but I had the impression I was kind of supposed to? He is somewhat redeemed by his decision to leave Ava alone plus his last encounter with Boyd Crowder in prison was exactly the right note to go out on.

I just rewatched season 2! So good. Going through a Justified-relapse and started to read the Raylan book which seems to be a big inspiration for season 2 and other later parts of the series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was more hoping that Disenchanted would become Fantasy Futurama than just bring Futurama back.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is this because nobody gives a poo poo about the Simpsons anymore and nobody gave a poo poo about Disenchantment in the first place?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Futurama series finales are fantastic, so I'm already looking forward to the 3rd in the trilogy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this because nobody gives a poo poo about the Simpsons anymore and nobody gave a poo poo about Disenchantment in the first place?

I don't care about Futurama anymore TBH

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This will be the fourth series finale at least.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The comedy central run has some of the series best episodes so i am cautiously optimistic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't have Dimaggio back yet and if they can't they shouldn't even bother.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1491517268924248078?s=21

I’m sure this is just negotiations using the press but lol if they recast Bender

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked Dis but think they hamstrung themselves making it so serial. I think the Futurama movies cut into episodes are some of their worst too. Disenchantment would've been better if they had explored fantasy shenangians through the safety of a resetting status quo homebase. Instead you're having to remember intrigue and and jokes turned into plot things from episode or season ago.

Unironically would be happy with Bender-less Futurama. Also praying they won't setback Leela/Fry for more "try to demonstrate value to leela" plots, but god isn't real so pretty sure that's like a debut event

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1491517268924248078?s=21

I’m sure this is just negotiations using the press but lol if they recast Bender

They can seamlessly use old clips:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In other cartoon news Adult Swim has renewed Birdgirl and The Smiling Friends.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The comedy central run has some of the series best episodes so i am cautiously optimistic.

It also had the worst, along with Disenchantment I don't think I have a lot of hope but guess we'll see

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I love Futurama but the last finale was already perfect and I’m worried they’ll just gently caress it up if they keep revisiting it.

It’s weird timing too, I just watched the “lost episode” that’s cobbled together from the video game last night for the first time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yannick_B posted:

I just rewatched season 2! So good. Going through a Justified-relapse and started to read the Raylan book which seems to be a big inspiration for season 2 and other later parts of the series.

Iirc, the book Raylan came out after season 2, so it was more Leonard riffing on the show, and then also giving the show some plot hooks for them to riff on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like they just can't wait to do some "Trump's head in a jar" gags

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi TV IV friends! Hulu has a show called Single Drunk Female which I was literally about to tell Hulu to stop loving recommending me when I realized it is more so supposed to be about sobriety and just follows Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Trophy Wife's time honored traditions of really off-putting show names. It has a good score on Rotten Tomatoes and critics seem to think it handles its subject matter really well.

As somebody three years into sobriety who finds shows about drinking/drugs/sex/partying a "hard no" does anybody know if I would find this show funny and empowering or just distressing and unpleasant? I know that realistically the answer is "Well, Bird, you know your journey way better than any of us, just watch the pilot and find out!" but... I would really rather ask first. Self-inflicted exposure therapy has never worked well for me :lol:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I couldn't imagine John DiMaggio not coming back. I mean, he does tons of voice work and is working with Groening on DIsenchantment so not like they had a falling out or something. It must just be contract negotiation stuff.

Count me as in. I liked the Comedy Central seasons and I really didn't see any reason for it to stop. Hulu puttering along for 10 episodes a year for awhile is just fine.

Edit:

It even says right in the article

quote:

John DiMaggio, who provided the voice behind the wise-cracking robot with the “shiny metal rear end” Bender, is finalizing a deal to return as well though a deal has not yet closed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ads I see for single drunk female look like the most obnoxious show imaginable.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Gaius Marius posted:

The ads I see for single drunk female look like the most obnoxious show imaginable.

:lmao: that's good enough for me, I will not give it the benefit of the doubt then. Asked and answered!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hi TV IV friends! Hulu has a show called Single Drunk Female which I was literally about to tell Hulu to stop loving recommending me when I realized it is more so supposed to be about sobriety and just follows Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Trophy Wife's time honored traditions of really off-putting show names. It has a good score on Rotten Tomatoes and critics seem to think it handles its subject matter really well.

As somebody three years into sobriety who finds shows about drinking/drugs/sex/partying a "hard no" does anybody know if I would find this show funny and empowering or just distressing and unpleasant? I know that realistically the answer is "Well, Bird, you know your journey way better than any of us, just watch the pilot and find out!" but... I would really rather ask first. Self-inflicted exposure therapy has never worked well for me :lol:

For what it's worth, I did not like the first two episodes. It was basically just an introduction to what AA is and how it's supposed to work, without much of a hook. Maybe you find it a bit more fun, if you can relate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Paracaidas posted:

Finally, the reboot we've all be waiting for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1491213512785346563

Full disclousre: I dug this show as a child.

Yeah I fuckin loved this show. Don't know if I would have been as on board in a time like these days with billions of choices, but in the days of network TV I looked forward to this weekly.

:okboomer:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

cant cook creole bream posted:

For what it's worth, I did not like the first two episodes. It was basically just an introduction to what AA is and how it's supposed to work, without much of a hook. Maybe you find it a bit more fun, if you can relate.

Yeah, that sounds pretty unappealing. Thank you both! Maybe the target audience is moreso people just starting that journey themselves.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only saw the first two episodes as well but I had the same basic impression. Its a pretty good and raw look at sobriety but didn't feel especially interested in being funny. Maybe that comes after everything is set up but it was in a weird middle ground for me and I never went back (although I haven't removed it from my "Continue" list).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i also avoid addiction focused shows because they tend to focus on 12 step methods because i think that's just what people in hollywood think the cure to addiction is and there's no other way to deal with it. it's also easy to dramatise a room of people sitting in a circle expositing their feelings. too easy. those scenes find their way into any show with even a minor addiction storyline.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I thought it was okay but I think a lot of it was more “Ha, at least I’ve never done that!” which somehow made me feel better and worse at the same time. It definitely is kind of obnoxious a lot of the time though and I hope that Hulu stops recommending it to you, I hate that so much :smith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

HOLY gently caress posted:

I thought it was okay but I think a lot of it was more “Ha, at least I’ve never done that!” which somehow made me feel better and worse at the same time. It definitely is kind of obnoxious a lot of the time though and I hope that Hulu stops recommending it to you, I hate that so much :smith:

haha ty, I went ahead and utilized the "dislike" button after the advice here :hai: And yeah, the focus on AA specifically as the only way to kick destructive habits is a big peeve of mine.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

haha ty, I went ahead and utilized the "dislike" button after the advice here :hai: And yeah, the focus on AA specifically as the only way to kick destructive habits is a big peeve of mine.

Same. I have to go to a meeting tonight :shepface:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

HOLY gently caress posted:

Same. I have to go to a meeting tonight :shepface:

you got this :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004