Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Jewmanji posted:

What I’m saying though is that the notion that Paul doesn’t exert any control over them is a bit of a farce that Paul relies on to absolve himself of responsibility.

Again, he imposed something as radical as slavery on this culture within just a few short years. He clearly has enormous capability to shape the Fremen culture in his image.

Possibly, but remember that the books establish that Prescience determines the future - the act of observing reduces all possible futures into a single outcome, and Herbert really hammers home that no, what Paul is doing is the only thing he CAN do. He can only ride the wave, hence him being such a mopey bitch in Messiah. Yeah, he's got ultimate, absolute power in the empire, but only within the confines of this particular thread of fate.

The books kinda/sorta tackle the issue of deviating from that - "what if Paul just....didn't, and hosed off back to the desert with Chani", but always implies that the alternatives would be far worse. Maybe that's one way to interpret prescience as predestination - it isn't necessarily that the illusion of free will dissipates utterly in the face of prescient vision, but that when you understand all the possible outcomes, you are compelled to choose a single path. Additionally, as the author, Herbert dictates that there are no good outcomes, at least not in the short term. Paul is merely an actor at the fulcrum of historical forces with millennia of momentum behind them, and that momentum WILL be spent and released one way or another.

So Paul does what he must, because he is compelled to. He allows the jihad, and all that entails. I might take issue with that, imagine that I could have acted differently in Paul's place, but that's how Herbert describes him and his place in the universe.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 9, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Historical Matre-ialism.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I think the way prescience works in Dune is great. Paul exerted varying levels of "gravity" across the events of the book, increasing as he ingested more spice. I imagine it works kinda like mass accruing exponentially, trapping the fates of more and more people and being able to bring lesser precogs into his orbit. I wish Fenring was explored more in that view. Did he successfully turn away from using his powers? Was he completely locked, but in a much "comfier" route than basically everybody else? Did he foresee the events Paul precipitated and preemptively maneuver himself into a chill life?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

precision posted:

yall trippin nightmare alley fuckin owned

actually I think it is *you* that be trippin.

like, literally. you are a known junkie and none of your opinions are to be trusted

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Possibly, but remember that the books establish that Prescience determines the future - the act of observing reduces all possible futures into a single outcome, and Herbert really hammers home that no, what Paul is doing is the only thing he CAN do. He can only ride the wave, hence him being such a mopey bitch in Messiah. Yeah, he's got ultimate, absolute power in the empire, but only within the confines of this particular thread of fate.

The books kinda/sorta tackle the issue of deviating from that - "what if Paul just....didn't, and hosed off back to the desert with Chani", but always implies that the alternatives would be far worse. Maybe that's one way to interpret prescience as predestination - it isn't necessarily that the illusion of free will dissipates utterly in the face of prescient vision, but that when you understand all the possible outcomes, you are compelled to choose a single path. Additionally, as the author, Herbert dictates that there are no good outcomes, at least not in the short term. Paul is merely an actor at the fulcrum of historical forces with millennia of momentum behind them, and that momentum WILL be spent and released one way or another.

So Paul does what he must, because he is compelled to. He allows the jihad, and all that entails. I might take issue with that, imagine that I could have acted differently in Paul's place, but that's how Herbert describes him and his place in the universe.

I don't really disagree with anything you said, but it's important to remember that Paul was unwilling to become the tyrant that Leto II became, because it required giving up his humanity. Leto II didn't have this compunction, presumably because of his Fremen heritage - and the original Atreides/Harkonnen Kwizats Hadarach would presumably have had a similar lack of compunction because of the Harkonnen heritage.

There's also the thing about Leto II being a more powerful oracle, to the point that Paul can't even see him that I think factors into this.

Grei Skuring posted:

I think the way prescience works in Dune is great. Paul exerted varying levels of "gravity" across the events of the book, increasing as he ingested more spice. I imagine it works kinda like mass accruing exponentially, trapping the fates of more and more people and being able to bring lesser precogs into his orbit. I wish Fenring was explored more in that view. Did he successfully turn away from using his powers? Was he completely locked, but in a much "comfier" route than basically everybody else? Did he foresee the events Paul precipitated and preemptively maneuver himself into a chill life?
Fenring was a eunuch, so Bene Gesserit chose to never expose him to the Mentat and Bene Gesserit training, both of which are presumably necessary to become the Kwizats Hadarach.
While I agree that it would've been interesting to focus some on him, I think we can guess that what he knew of the Kwizats Hadarach was probably learned through his extensive spy network, although the fact that Paul couldn't see him and could only see the knife he wielded in his prescience probably suggests that he had at least a little bit of oracular powers?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They can make synthetic eyes are you honestly telling me they couldn't make a synthetic dong?? Just make a ghola lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

They can make synthetic eyes are you honestly telling me they couldn't make a synthetic dong?? Just make a ghola lol
Leto II considers this as an option, but abandons it.
The coward.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's just a scale replica of himself

"leto jr"

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

THE SOCK

THE SOCK

THE SOCK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

actually I think it is *you* that be trippin.

like, literally. you are a known junkie and none of your opinions are to be trusted

junkie? nah. i just smoke a lot of weed. used to love acid but haven't had any in a couple years.

haha

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I think junkie I think coke, meth, opiates or melange. Anything else is recreational

*guzzles reverend mother home brew that makes group sex with unwashed psychos bearable*

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

When I think junkie I think coke, meth, opiates or melange. Anything else is recreational

*guzzles reverend mother home brew that makes group sex with unwashed psychos bearable*

Sounds like my semuta habit is a-ok then

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

calling my uncle who slams a couple of Miller lites when he gets home a "beer junkie"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

kalel posted:

calling my uncle who slams a couple of Miller lites when he gets home a "beer junkie"

He's only a junkie if he comes from the Puket province of Thailand, otherwise he's just a sparkling alcoholic

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Caught you knockin at my sietch's door
I love you baby can I have some more
ooooo
ooooo
the reverend nun

She held a box
and said insert your hand
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the reverend nun

I sing the song
along with gurney man
I know that some
of you don't understand
Milk cats
to keep from running out

I've seen the needle
and the reverend nun
A little animal in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Regarding THE SOCK, would any knowledgeable threadpersons care to explain the logistics of on-screen nudity? Like I assumed Oscar was just naked in an uncomfortable chair but apparently there's socks involved??

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tree Bucket posted:

Regarding THE SOCK, would any knowledgeable threadpersons care to explain the logistics of on-screen nudity? Like I assumed Oscar was just naked in an uncomfortable chair but apparently there's socks involved??

They give you a flesh colored sock to stick on your dick and balls (think Red Hot Chili Peppers style) so you’re not just hanging dong in front of the whole crew, it leaves just a touch up to the imagination.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

If your character is supposed to be naked but dong is not intended to show onscreen, then you get a thing to wear on your schlong. I have a weirdly perfect memory of being introduced by the concept by the DVD commentary of Underworld

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

imagine two balls out the end of a sock

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imagine your god, who is oscar isaac, 40 feet tall in the shape of giant dong but wearing a thin sock made of sandtrout

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Huh. I just sort of assumed that the Oscar Isaacs of the world would be cool with casual nudity. Fair enough!

sebmojo posted:

no

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

skasion posted:

If your character is supposed to be naked but dong is not intended to show onscreen, then you get a thing to wear on your schlong. I have a weirdly perfect memory of being introduced by the concept by the DVD commentary of Underworld

Power move to turn down the sock and just hang dong in front of the cast and crew.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AFewBricksShy posted:

They give you a flesh colored sock to stick on your dick and balls (think Red Hot Chili Peppers style) so you’re not just hanging dong in front of the whole crew, it leaves just a touch up to the imagination.

Unless you're Tommy Wiseau, who actually did wear a sock in The Room.

Tree Bucket posted:

Huh. I just sort of assumed that the Oscar Isaacs of the world would be cool with casual nudity. Fair enough!
Could be as much a courtesy to the crew as anybody else.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

imagine your god, who is oscar isaac, 40 feet tall in the shape of giant dong but wearing a thin sock made of sandtrout

....will you all excuse me for a moment

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Sock + Usul

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
His waterfat beef swelled

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

Sock + Usul
Aha, so that's what some people talk about when they mention having a soul.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kiimo posted:

Caught you knockin at my sietch's door
I love you baby can I have some more
ooooo
ooooo
the reverend nun

She held a box
and said insert your hand
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the reverend nun

I sing the song
along with gurney man
I know that some
of you don't understand
Milk cats
to keep from running out

I've seen the needle
and the reverend nun
A little animal in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun

This is really great and this thread needs more Neil Young

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

AFewBricksShy posted:

Cowards. I just rewatched Peter Greenaway's Prospero's Books, there's dicks and boobs wherever you look.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fuckin love Prospero’s Books.

Greenaway should be allowed to film God Emperor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Reefswelling

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not sure why you'd care what he's wearing downstairs when you could be living inside his beard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of when Q appeared naked on the Enterprise bridge that one time and apparently John DeLancie has a massive hog

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of when Q appeared naked on the Enterprise bridge that one time and apparently John DeLancie has a massive hog

Same but Mad Men / Jon Hamm

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Absolutely not the same with God Emperor Leto

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The reason Leto doesn't have a dick is because he evolved specifically into the dick. That's the part of the worm/human DNA he chose to focus on. He IS the dick.

The Golden Shower Path.

Look at this and tell me. Do you see the truth of it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looks more like a clitoral hood + clitoris to me, op.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

so a small penis then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

What I’m saying though is that the notion that Paul doesn’t exert any control over them is a bit of a farce that Paul relies on to absolve himself of responsibility.

Again, he imposed something as radical as slavery on this culture within just a few short years. He clearly has enormous capability to shape the Fremen culture in his image.

I mean, a) that sort of mirrors the historical Arab societies before Mohammed comes along. Turns out when you conquer a bunch of people, slavery is a lot more On The Menu than it is when you're a bunch of nomads in the desert.

b) The wider society and universe they're in is at the very least deeply feudal, that's how the faufreluches thing works. It's not like the milieu they live in is modern democracy. Your average dude is a mediaeval serf.

c) Paul inherits Jamis's wife as a servant after defeating him in battle. That sounds preeetty slavery-like to me. Like https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Harah

'By law, Jamis' yali and all his possessions, excluding the funeral gifts but including his wife and sons, belonged to Paul Muad'Dib' think someone was gilding the lily a tad on the 'Fremens dont do slavery' bit in-universe, there.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 11, 2022