Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gaybaiting Gumby Show Queercodes Blockheads As Incestuous Sub/Dom Couple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
"I watched Gumby transition from man to woman, then from woman to man, and man to non-binary. Within an instant! My kid tried and broke their spine! We can't afford the hospital bills." - Concerned parent

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1491512483441352706?s=20&t=BIdXndl71yJ8jo5g8TLhCA

it's going to be revived once a decade forever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It already ended on a perfect note. Just stick to Disenchantment and make that not funny instead.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
gumby as a mormon g-man, snuffs out marxist terror cells across flyover country. pokey, a cia china analyst with a hidden opioid addiction, is forced into the field to assist agent gumby against what they think is a russian child trafficking network but leads them straight back to the halls of power in dc

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Lol well the revival has about 1 good episode for every 10, so, I'm glad we're getting 2 new futurama episodes worth watching

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

nice. the first revival was a bunch of C/C+ episodes with a few B+/A- per season but I’ll gladly take new C+ Futurama any day, as long as the animation is up to snuff

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

unbelievably cursed news.

I happen to be rewatching futurama currently and the comedy central episodes are just dire with very few exceptions.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Feb 9, 2022

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

unbelievably cursed news

Tbh my immediate assumption upon seeing the image was that Groening was releasing futurama NFTs so my expectations were pretty low out the gates

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I liked some of the last revival so I look forward to liking a handful of these new ones.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just realized it’s gonna be two 10 episode seasons. that sucks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I won't begrudge West and Segal getting more work

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I won't begrudge West and Segal getting more work

bring back Doug

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

drat horror queefs posted:

Huh this guy seems kind of like an rear end in a top hat

funny how he basically turned into this exact skit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7upGsFhoHY

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

A clip of The Batman came up on Youtube and I sat and watched it. It's the scene where the Riddler sends a car into a church and a guy with a bomb steps out. I think. I already forget.

Anyway I don't know who Matt Reeves is, I'll google him after this shitpost, but my gut tells me this movie is going to suck. I dunno the direction seems kind of cheap and TV-ish.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

who actually wanted more futurama i dont recall anyone being upset when it ended. also no dimaggio so wtf

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I feel like he did kind of a lot of voices for that show.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i know it's dumb to be like "that wouldn't work that way" wrt The Righteous Gemstones but you can't just walk up to a cement truck that is clearly sitting without its drum spinning and just magically start pouring wet cement out of it. like maybe they just didn't show them doing all the prep work to get the cement ready but it's just implied that they turn the truck on and start pouring in the middle of the night.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did you want a hot fuzz style montage

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It already ended on a perfect note. Just stick to Disenchantment and make that not funny instead.

there's something fundamentally wrong with disenchanted beyond the scripts or story or whatever where the delivery and background effects make the whole show feel really empty. i can't really explain it, but the very first scene with the bar fight there's this huge crowd but it sounds like there's 3 people in the room. the whole show feels weird.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

unbelievably cursed news.

I happen to be rewatching futurama currently and the comedy central episodes are just dire with very few exceptions.

some of the episodes are alright, but the episode where the women and men split into different societies is just wretched.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it did have the borax kid which I remember liking

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Copaganda I like:

Twin Peaks
Fargo
X-Files
Blade Runner
Silence Of The Lambs
Die Hard
Robocop
Judge Dredd (both of them)
The French Connection
Reservoir Dogs
The Dick Tracey Movie (it's amazing)
L.A. Confidential

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dreylad posted:

there's something fundamentally wrong with disenchanted beyond the scripts or story or whatever where the delivery and background effects make the whole show feel really empty. i can't really explain it, but the very first scene with the bar fight there's this huge crowd but it sounds like there's 3 people in the room. the whole show feels weird.

It kind of feels like the entire show is one extended pilot episode.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

did you want a hot fuzz style montage

like at least show them putting some dry mix and water in or something. i dunno. you can't just walk up to a cold cement truck and start pouring!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

who actually wanted more futurama i dont recall anyone being upset when it ended. also no dimaggio so wtf

He's just playing hardball in the negotiations
He does voices on disenchantment so there's no way he won't be back

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thinking about all the cheapest comedy writers money can buy doing a zoom conference, brainstorming how to break up Fry and Leela so the reboot can keep milking the all important will-they-won't-they plot.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yeah disenchanted is really weird. besides the voice acting which is fine, everything about it just feels like its in some uncanny valley of comedy. not even particularly aggressively bad comedy, just an entirely alien form of what humor is.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yeah disenchanted is really weird. besides the voice acting which is fine, everything about it just feels like its in some uncanny valley of comedy. not even particularly aggressively bad comedy, just an entirely alien form of what humor is.

it seems to want to be a fantasy adventure with moments of very dark levity but then sometimes it oscillates back into Groening's usual style of humor and that feels wrong to me.
I like the concept and watched like 2 and half of the "seasons" but it never really seemed to find itself.
which is a shame because Abbi Jacobson seems like a fine voice actress, yeah.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1491068415439560704?s=20&t=jPuYPKVktIUwk_caBzLmcg
One of the moments I think was most grim in recent American history was when people were on Twitter begging lame duck Donald Trump to spare Brandon Bernard from being executed.

Meanwhile, Disney was doing live tweets of all the schlock it was announcing for the coming few years, and Chris Evans tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1337204197641629696?s=20&t=5wIXlVI-TF6DPPrsgp1LNg

It was the perfect culmination of everything terrible in this country. You have poor people pleading with a demented, billionaire rapist to spare a young black guy's life, you have people losing their poo poo over the soulless garbage of effectively the only major movie company left, and you have nonsensical statements from the self appointed "Grand Centrist Understander of Hollywood".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i had to read that a couple of times to understand that chris evans meant these as words of excitement and not as an indictment of the state of modern media

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it seems to want to be a fantasy adventure with moments of very dark levity but then sometimes it oscillates back into Groening's usual style of humor and that feels wrong to me.
I like the concept and watched like 2 and half of the "seasons" but it never really seemed to find itself.
which is a shame because Abbi Jacobson seems like a fine voice actress, yeah.

That's right. Disenchantment's problem is that the tone is all over the place. The story will delve into worldbuilding and plot just for a quip or out of place joke to land with an inappropriate thud. The moment the plot starts getting interesting and you want to see where it's going, they'll do multi-episode digressions that don't go anywhere and aren't that funny on their own. It's not like it never gets a laugh out of me, but for a good comedy show you should expect a joke every minute or 2. If it only gets one chuckle out of me in 22 minutes then it's failing as a comedy, and if the plot is too distracted then it's also failing as an adventure story. A lot of it does work, but it never comes together. It's just too ill conceived.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i think the only times ive ever laughed at this show was just because of dimaggio and mayybe berry

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I didn't even make it through the last Futurama revival, I can't imagine this one being better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the best cop show is the shield and/or justified

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the first and second revival as they are, but did not ask for a third. I'll tolerate it in part because I don't hold Futurama in such high regard.

I was not that big of the Futurama fan as a huge Simpsons nerd, enjoying it less than even the teen seasons of The Simpsons. While there was plenty of geek meta humor on The Simpsons, I was bit more annoyed by it on Futurama since the setting only further encouraged it. Classic Simpsons was like comedy geeks writing for everyone. Futurama felt more like comedy geeks writing for comedy geeks, I guess.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dreylad posted:

the best cop show is the shield and/or justified

I've enjoyed The Rookie
Even though it's very much "not all cops are bad"
the main cast are pretty charming and the plotting is just a touch more clever than a usual procedural

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's right. Disenchantment's problem is that the tone is all over the place. The story will delve into worldbuilding and plot just for a quip or out of place joke to land with an inappropriate thud. The moment the plot starts getting interesting and you want to see where it's going, they'll do multi-episode digressions that don't go anywhere and aren't that funny on their own. It's not like it never gets a laugh out of me, but for a good comedy show you should expect a joke every minute or 2. If it only gets one chuckle out of me in 22 minutes then it's failing as a comedy, and if the plot is too distracted then it's also failing as an adventure story. A lot of it does work, but it never comes together. It's just too ill conceived.

And much of the humor is "lol I have consumed alcohols"

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

skooma512 posted:

It also doesn't help that a substantial portion of the rest of the humour is "Wow Elfo is really annoying! He's a disgusting creepy useless twerpy annoying jerk! Isn't it funny how loathsome and unpleasant he is? Laugh! You're supposed to be laughing!"

It's like they imported jerkass Homer without all the early season goodwill

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

the multi-episode arc where king zog goes mad from seeing Beans nude was totally insufferable, and didn't even have a payoff. Many such cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All this. I wanted to like it but the show does its best to sabotage that at every corner.

I would also add that the animation looks like absolute poo poo too. Like it feels extremely low-budget cheaply done, which I'm okay with cheaply done like 12oz mouse if it's good, but the rest of it is not.

i would add I thought season 1 was pretty decent, but season 2 was just god awful