Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Sounds to me like a nice place to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Definitely seems worth 35-49k a year (depending on experience).

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 28, 2022

Farecoal

There he go
Is a milkshake IPA as gross as it sounds

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

Is a milkshake IPA as gross as it sounds

Yes, IMHO. It's a NEIPA with lactose and usually fruit. I think too many people took the "juicy" descriptor of the base style too literally and convinced themselves that a hazy IPA with milk sugar would taste like an Orange Julius.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
oh good morning, brain. look, there's really nothing going on at work so so do we have to wake up nauseatingly anxio--

oh, cool. nah, that's cool. cool. okay. cool cool

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
ahhh the moka pot cures everything

Escape From Noise

A part time server guy came into the brewery today to give my beers rave reviews. I know my beer isn't so great but it was nice of him.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Escape From Noise posted:

A part time server guy came into the brewery today to give my beers rave reviews. I know my beer isn't so great but it was nice of him.

I feel like any time you make something, you're gonna be way more critical of it than someone who wasn't involved.

Escape From Noise

I am really happy with how the bière de Mars is coming along!

Gramps

Gorgeous!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

awww yeeeee

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Ass-penny

That's a good looking beer.

I'm work posting:coal:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it is monday my orbs

i'm gonna touch the gently caress outta these computers today

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
it is monday:(
so far the other piece of our triforce called out, so it's just me and the boss and we both feel like hammered poo poo and my boss is sick

hekk yeah

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
here's some of the epic computer touchery i did today

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Dr. Honked posted:

:hmmorks:

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

I was not prepared for today but I got through it.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Honked posted:

Do you really have a variable named fart in your code?

Ass-penny

It is Monday and I'm work posting and I have tomorrow and Wednesday off :snoop:

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

rear end-penny posted:

It is Monday and I'm work posting and I have tomorrow and Wednesday off :snoop:

:luckyducky:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Zil posted:

no, i don't, that would be silly!!!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i am a SENSIBLE person

cruft

Zil posted:

That's Redis, so it's more like a storage slot named fart. :science:

cruft

Dr. Honked posted:

Your metasyntactic variable game is strong!

Escape From Noise

I really need to start looking into opening my own place. I'm really sick of brewing by committee. I understand needing to make beers I don't really like in order to drive sales, but this weird scheduling and the start and stop nature of the whole thing is a bit of a hassle.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I was so proud of myself for scheduling an appointment for tomorrow to drop off my car to get the alignment fixed (instead of putting it off for months like I'd usually do) but now the client wants a conference call tomorrow to go over this awful project that's been dragging on for over two years so yeah, of course I can reschedule my appointment, but I'll have to call them on the phone, which my brain hates, and now I have to reacquaint myself with this godawful river survey and what has and hasn't already been done to address the acreage problems and why we decided to do things years ago when I was working with a completely different guy who is no longer on this project and I don't wanna and you can't make me!

:rant:

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Did some work.

Didn't like it.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Enfys posted:

Did some work.

Didn't like it.

story of my life pardner

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Enfys posted:

Did some work.

Didn't like it.

ugh. at least it's wednesday. my work is going p.good today. touched a computer, did a meeting

NumptyScrub

I find when I really want more time in my day for the computer touching, I have lots of meetings scheduled. Generally the not-so-good meetings where I don't really need to be there, but doing too much work on the side can turn into a landmine if someone asks a direct question and I wasn't paying attention :negative:

I have yet to create the perfect set of scripts that can do my entire job for me while I have a nice sleep. I yearn for that day...

for fucks sake

Touched the computer a bit too much yesterday, very tired now. Will try to touch it less tomorrow.

DaChurl

Got through the conference call and nobody accused me of incompetence or trying to cheat the federal government out of money, so all in all I guess it was a success. The whole thing is still going to be a bitch to get approved and will probably take another two years, but no one said the words "fines" or "collections" so it could be worse.

Jobs are not fun.

xcheopis

My job should be cuddling elderly cats and playing with plump li'l kittens.

DaChurl

xcheopis posted:

:same:

Farecoal

There he go
My local shelter has 1.5 actual paid staff. It's a lot of hard work, cleaning, and dealing with strange people but I imagine there's room to pet a cat or two in there somewhere

NumptyScrub

xcheopis posted:

Oh hells yes sign me up for that jorb :buddy:

I mean computer touching is basically ok, but kittens are like 100% more better and 10,000% more fluffy

Escape From Noise

I'm getting frustrated with my job again. I don't get why nobody who hires me ever lets me have any real control over the production schedule. I mean at least they aren't straight up abusive, but it's becoming a bit much. I get things being a scramble at first but we've had our license for half a year. Even with COVID and all that, that's a really long time to still be so unsure about scheduling. I kept trying to set a schedule up with natural progressions (i.e. make an American pale ale, take the yeast from that to make an American IPA), but things keep getting put on hold and re-arranged. We're ordering materials piecemeal which means higher shipping costs split between several orders instead of getting everything set and ordering everything we need for our next several beers in one lot. Suddenly I'm brewing the biere de Mars next week if we can get everything on schedule. It's just a dumb mess and I now have malt and hops sitting around that I bought for other beers and I have no idea what the plan is for them. I'm just really frustrated/bored I guess. Just everything is so steered by committee and feels focus grouped to death.

The upswing of this is, I've decided it's time to get serious about opening my own place. First step is working on a business plan. I've been reaching out to industry friends I have. I already have a good idea of the volume I want to go for, and I may have a space available to me. I need a business partner though, so we'll see if that's still available once it all goes down. Even starting now it's gonna be some time before this gets off the ground, but I need to give it a shot. I'm sick of this kind of poo poo.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

I've decided it's time to get serious about opening my own place.

i wish you all the luck, that's super awesome!

Escape From Noise

Hopefully in the next year or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

The upswing of this is, I've decided it's time to get serious about opening my own place. First step is working on a business plan. I've been reaching out to industry friends I have. I already have a good idea of the volume I want to go for, and I may have a space available to me. I need a business partner though, so we'll see if that's still available once it all goes down. Even starting now it's gonna be some time before this gets off the ground, but I need to give it a shot. I'm sick of this kind of poo poo.

Requirements for operating a successful manufacturing business (I am no expert in this field so pinch of salt time):

1) knowledge of the manufacturing process (you got this part down easy)
2) Operating capital
3) Fiscal planning / budgeting experience to ensure the continuity and suitability of your operating capital (including accurate cost estimations)
4) Organisational planning experience including logistics, scheduling, and staffing requirements
5) Adequate marketing to ensure production is also being sold (this is a very broad one and probably should be like 4 or 5 steps)

You want a good product or products to sell, but you definitely need the operational backup of competent fiscal planning, proactive marketing, and organisational planning

Companies with mediocre or even bad product can still make money with good marketing and organisational planning. Companies with bad marketing and bad organisational skills will still fail even with excellent product.

I came straight out of uni and set up a small IT Services business with a friend of mine. I cannot stress enough how much time needs to be spent on the fiscal, organisational, and (I hate to say it) marketing/sales part of running a business for it to remain viable and successful :sweatdrop:

Between you and your business partner(s) you will want a decent amount of experience/knowledge in: making beer, selling beer, storing product, shipping product, balancing books, and handling payroll. If you can cover all those bases then I reckon you are in better position than like 50% or more of the "starting my own business" types :buddy: