Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Is a donut shop named after a hockeyman really culture? Pretty sure it was always capitalism.

Decades of propaganda has made it culture, which is why people go there despite it being total poo poo for 15 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Atrocious Joe posted:

not surprised this poster went off about another nationality, but did not expect it to be in the Canada thread and directed at the Quebecois

lol so wholly ignorant of how the left was systematically purged in pretty much every western state. Totally non materialist analysis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Danaru posted:

Tim's used to be good when it was Canadian owned and everything was baked in house, now it's all reheated frozen bullshit because capitalism incentivizes innovation

lol it was poo poo long before the sale went through

and technically isn't the combined hq in canada now so burger king is now a canadian company or whatever

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tim's Donuts seems passable, if maybe only because the alternatives basically don't exist. Grocery store donuts are even more sad and lacking in variety, I think my city might have one or two specialty donut places, but they're too far from me / have like 5$ delivery fees.

Not that it's an option, but I refuse to believe a place named "Kripsy Kreme" can be any better either.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Krispy Kreme are dank OP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol just lol if you buy donuts from a chain rather than your finest local bespoke artisanal bespoke dough shoppe

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?

Oxyclean posted:

Tim's Donuts seems passable, if maybe only because the alternatives basically don't exist. Grocery store donuts are even more sad and lacking in variety, I think my city might have one or two specialty donut places, but they're too far from me / have like 5$ delivery fees.

Not that it's an option, but I refuse to believe a place named "Kripsy Kreme" can be any better either.

my local grocer makes fresh donuts every day ad they are wwwwwaaayyyyy better than tummies

also Krispy kreme is transcendent when fresh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Omnicarus posted:

A friend got the Tim Biebs fanny pack on purpose and it remains the most mystifying purchase anyone I know has ever made.

but now they can go around with Tim Biebs on their butt seems a win to me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaom posted:

Yeah the youth are definitely into Meta, sure

CBC published this article about the Canadian English dictionary and how it hasn’t been updated since 2004, which explains so much about why software doesn’t have it as a localization option.

It’s also driving me insane because I took up creative writing last year and now worry constantly about whether I’ve got things right.

Get a copy of Editing Canadian English, 3rd Edition. It was updated in 2015 (there might even be a 4th edition by now), and covers the differences between American, British, and Canadian English in lieu of us having a functioning dictionary (it’s where I originally found out about the issue). It’s the go-to-book for the Canadian editor’s group next to your relevant style guide.

The thing that pissed me off about that article was when the feds apparently wouldn’t fund a new edition of the dictionary because the project wasn’t bilingual. No loving poo poo it’s not bilingual, we’re trying to save Canadian English here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Krispy Kreme at the Mississauga location where they make them on site are amazing.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Amazingly helpful, thank you!

Back in business (eventually) creating my own CanCon :toot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

kaom posted:

It’s also driving me insane because I took up creative writing last year and now worry constantly about whether I’ve got things right.

when in doubt, liberally sprinkle in some "u"s

mediaphage posted:

and technically isn't the combined hq in canada now so burger king is now a canadian company or whatever

the burger king is now named george

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

when in doubt, liberally sprinkle in some "u"s

yeah just make sure it’s all the same use of “u”s or not covers a good portion of things

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

my favourite homestar runner character is trogdour

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
are smarties better than m&m’s?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Colour is fine
Traveller is fine
Centre is fine

It’s the when to -ise and when to -ize

And also stuff like the verb “to centre” - centring vs centering

We also have straight-up CA words like toque and skookum, but at least those are easy to look up because there is no US version

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what are your thoughts on defense?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that’s for wimps and goofs who don’t skate up ice fast enough

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I had heard it had to do with coke being a bit more costly in canada, so pepsi was "lower class" or something

https://maisonneuve.org/post/2010/02/4/how/

that explains why pepsi is so prolific in the province, had no idea

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CaptainACAB posted:

Quebecios are by far the worst honkies.

They go on and on endlessly about how oppressed and aggrieved they are and how their beautiful culture of putting gravy on fries and being racist is threatened, and the Canadian government bends over backwards to appease these baying acadian psychopaths while literally bulldozing native children into mass graves.

These are a "people" so odious that even the French cannot stand them. They're American Boers. They should be ground into a paste and used as fertilizer when the land is given back to the indigenous Canadians.

if you're going to generalize like that at least don't mix up acadians and quebecois, jesus christ

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol just lol if you buy donuts from a chain rather than your finest local bespoke artisanal bespoke dough shoppe

All of the Galaxy Donuts in Toronto closed so now where am I supposed to launder money

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Koirhor posted:

are smarties better than m&m’s?

no they're identical

mini m and ms are superior to either due to their higher surface area by mass/volume

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

All of the Galaxy Donuts in Toronto closed so now where am I supposed to launder money

deco labels

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

no they're identical

mini m and ms are superior to either due to their higher surface area by mass/volume

smarties have a thicker shell which is a major advantage

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I don’t have a clue. This is why I need the book!!

cock hero flux posted:

Objectively correct

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

no they're identical

this is just so obviously false. smarties are flatter with a thicker, crunchier shell. can we get a mod in here to combat disinformation?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

smarties have a thicker shell which is a major advantage

gotta get that daily intake of carnuba wax

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Dreylad posted:

if you're going to generalize like that at least don't mix up acadians and quebecois, jesus christ

I thought it was original in an adderall binge galaxy brain kind of way

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man this thread is gonna be bumpin when they block traffic for the super bowl.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Can't type in Canadian without Microsoft word getting angry. Cheque is a word I swear I've seen it before, I think. Also centre

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Starks posted:

this is just so obviously false. smarties are flatter with a thicker, crunchier shell. can we get a mod in here to combat disinformation?

truth

different shape, thicker shell so sweeter and more prone to gum stabbing

different colours available

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
cheque is objectively correct regardless of the language

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

:hai:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

my word processor and google chrome both get mad at me any time I write paycheque but I will never stop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmfao

we just solved the problem of the convoy being funded

Stephen Harper posted:

in case you were wondering what the dumbest people in canada are demanding

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1491486284690427919?s=20&t=i2Aye3CqBZjhXZrsbLnRXg

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lmfao

we just solved the problem of the convoy being funded

hahahaha ok how are they gonna cash out and distribute any meaningful amount without involving a canadian bank account?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't worry dude, it's decentralized

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Gotta have my Bieber Holes!!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

what would the first convoy NFT be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
if you've ever looked at trucker fb pages you know it will absolutely be dramatic backlit shots of semi trucks with chromed out stacks and grills