Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1491400203236167682?s=19

Lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yes, but I don't think it will make much difference because 1. it's skwawkbox and 2. everyone with the ability to make it matter already tacitly understands the complaint to be left vs right, not actually antisemitism.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

well the only moral thing to do is to remove the whip from the leader

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jel Shaker posted:

don’t want to upset you now you’ve done it but have you not seen those stretchy pvc ceiling things you use to cover the ceiling instead of plastering it , bit late now but next time it may save your sanity

The ones that cats live in :hmmyes:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/damian_from/status/1491472005325012998

:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the funnier part of starmer's twitter which the article doesn't seem to mention is that he gained, then almost immediately lost, 200 thousand followers around the time he became leader of the party.

https://socialblade.com/twitter/user/keir_starmer

E: wait no that's "gained followers" so he had a big bump around the leadership election but otherwise has gained slowly for the past few years so I think the article is just wrong.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1491371448782692356?s=19

Said with the conviction of a man challenging a much bigger man to a fight and making GBS threads himself at the same time.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i could absolutely believe someone like starmer only got 36 more followers on twitter because it’s twitter, a site which probably has topped out the number of real humans joining it and anyone who would like starmer probably already did during the election

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The only way to get wealthy with crypto is to sell it.
A friend who really shouldn't be allowed around sharp objects or mains appliances put their entire savings in crypto in summer 2021 and are now in the same financial position as they were in summer 2019.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

For my next fresh hot take exclusive for this comedy forum...

If Jimmy Carr's joke gets widespread attention to Roma persecution, is he really doing wrong?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/09/add-genocide-of-gypsies-to-national-curriculum-say-charities

In answer to my own question - jokes like that are aimed a liberals but get heard very different by racists and can be empowering. I can kinda see there may be good, if naïve/misguided, intentions in it though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

For my next fresh hot take exclusive for this comedy forum...

If Jimmy Carr's joke gets widespread attention to Roma persecution, is he really doing wrong?

Yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand, genocide kills a lot of people, but it also helped draw attention to the fact that genocide is bad, so who can say if it is bad or not?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Not to say the obvious, but the credit should go to the people who called him a piece of poo poo for it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jimmy Carr loving sucks. The only thing that separates him from yer Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning is that he's such a posh oval office that your British mind thinks he's being ironic because posh people can't be racist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jimmy Carr loving sucks. The only thing that separates him from yer Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning is that he's such a posh oval office that your British mind thinks he's being ironic because posh people can't be racist.

In what world is Jimmy loving Carr posh? Rich, yes, but he sounds like a photocopier salesman.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand, genocide kills a lot of people, but it also helped draw attention to the fact that genocide is bad, so who can say if it is bad or not?

In tonight's studio debate we have Victoria Coren Mitchell, Himmler, David Baddiel, Alastair Campbell and a man lying face down in a pit of lime.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In what world is Jimmy loving Carr posh? Rich, yes, but he sounds like a photocopier salesman.

I associate a boring English voice with posh.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I associate a boring English voice with posh.

Does 'posh' not just mean 'rich oval office'?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He does sound like a journalist or TV personality, or some other wanky middle class type. I don't know why, might be bias against everyone who doesn't have a really strong regional accent.

Could also be that he sounds like jimmy carr which itself is not a positive association.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 9, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The well-spoken outrageous phrase is literally the joke.

The set up and delivery is just riffing on the two ad nauseam.

It's little wonder it isn't funny after 20 years or whatever and he feels he has to go more outrageous because he cant go more well spoken

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you are all posh cos you can spell

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think it's a joke when the history of the UK for as long as I've been alive has been well spoken people saying "outrageous" things entirely sincerely and half the country nodding along and saying "yes this is good please give us more of this"

A well spoken and dressed guy just saying horrible poo poo isn't comedy, it's politics.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

The well-spoken outrageous phrase is literally the joke.

The set up and delivery is just riffing on the two ad nauseam.

It's little wonder it isn't funny after 20 years or whatever and he feels he has to go more outrageous because he cant go more well spoken

That ironically would be funnier. Just Jimmy Carr in an Elizabethan wig and powdered face doing the same jokes from his previous DVD. Repeat until he's literally the loving queen.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you are all posh cos you can spell

You're posh because you can afford a car that blows up 20 minutes out the showroom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You know what's really funny? Molesting children.

*5 minutes later* I have been canceled by the woke elite

*10 minutes later* Please read about my cancellation in my new Spectator and UnHerd columns

*15 minutes later* Please update the column header to reflect my recent peerage

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're posh because you can afford a car that blows up 20 minutes out the showroom.

and yet it didnt, 2 years later still, sadly, unblown

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Someone had set fire to a car in the sainsburys today and as I drove past I literally thought "lmao tesla" but I don't think it was a tesla alas. Because the shell was still there, if it was a tesla it would of course have vaporized entirely.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

That's literally what the second half of the joke (after the tiktok clip ends) was about, almost verbatim.

This is not an endorsement of the joke.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

That ironically would be funnier. Just Jimmy Carr in an Elizabethan wig and powdered face doing the same jokes from his previous DVD. Repeat until he's literally the loving queen. loving the queen

And there you have it, premise/punchline. Cutting edge comedy

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

blunt posted:

That's literally what the second half of the joke (after the tiktok clip ends) was about, almost verbatim.

This is not an endorsement of the joke.

I feel like less people would get "taken out of context" if they were actually interesting enough for people to bother watching/reading the whole thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We, in this thread, shouldn't be about starting to demand people are interesting before they post lol.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

and yet it didnt, 2 years later still, sadly, unblown

its been more than two years youve been unblown wheeeeeey lads lads lads

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

You did set that joke up, someone was going to make it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Crossposting myself from the covid thread:

Dunno if anyone's interested but I can't stop messing around with the UK covid data and realistically this is why they're all making "it's over" noises:

This is how the CFR now compares with last year. That jump to an >4% CFR isn't because of a lack of testing, as it was in the early days, or because Alpha was notably deadlier than Wuhan or other variants, it's because the NHS was unable to cope with the number of patients. Now whether or not you take the much lower CFR being all to do with Omicron or all to do with vaccines (I suspect mostly the latter but a little of the former) it's indisputable that we're now dealing with a much less deadly disease.

Now of course you certainly can argue we're relaxing too much way too soon even with that, but it's hard to argue that measures that were suitable last winter are suitable here and now.

One last titbit - covid deaths so far this winter are actually considerably lower than flu deaths in 2014/15, the last really nasty year for flu in the UK (44k deaths over the winter in England and Wales - we're currently at 15k covid deaths since the beginning of November, and losing about a thousand people a week, so *extremely* unlikely to overtake that number).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah. covid is done now. lets crack on

endlessmonotony posted:

You did set that joke up, someone was going to make it.

Yeah i think we both know that, they're just telling me I'm an unfunny twat... which well right back at them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1491548685909569548?t=onMSyWc9FGmZjErOfWch1w&s=19

The Labour Party does not negotiate with terrorists Unions

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The labour party is under new management and the last thing a respectable union should be doing is renegotiating agreements when management changes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One last titbit - covid deaths so far this winter are actually considerably lower than flu deaths in 2014/15, the last really nasty year for flu in the UK
I wonder if winter flu masks will make a comeback now that most people are comfortable with the idea and the people who vocally aren't are massive twats

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The labour party is under new management and the last thing a respectable union should be doing is renegotiating agreements when management changes

I wonder if winter flu masks will make a comeback now that most people are comfortable with the idea and the people who vocally aren't are massive twats

I certainly hope so, it's notable that a lot of people are still wearing even though nobody's enforcing poo poo any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1491534947710119937