Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the Toshiaki Kawada vs Shinya Hashimoto TC match (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hlvO3yVUk) yesterday and really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any all-time best Hashimoto matches? He inspires fear and awe and I must see more of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A silly question regarding image rights.

Using Brock Lesnar here only as an example, although there are other wrestlers this could apply to.

Brock has a silly tattoo on both his front and back. Both of these silly tattoos are unique and memorable. At least one of these tattoos has been used in marketing/merchandise for WWE, (I know they used his silly back monster for a T-Shirt).

Who owns the rights to said silly monster? The tattoo artist? Brock? WWE? When signing "image rights" contracts do you have to include specific clauses for tattoos like that?

How about if, (to use him purely as an example), like CM Punk, the tattoo is of another company's logo or something that is owned by someone else? Do you have to get permission from Pepsi for every commercial image of CM Punk that shows that tattoo? Blur it out on any monetized image?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As it stands the copyright of the tattoo, assuming its an original design by the artist, is owned by the tattooist. In the case of Brock either he designed them (lol) or he pays a licensing fee to the artist to use the work in promotional materials. That's not to say tattooists have a complete ownership over their own images in promotional material and there are fair use exemptions:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/nba-2k-lebron-james-publisher-wins-lawsuit-over-tattoos/

Tattooing of copyrighted images is a different matter - you're allowed to show them off freely so long as said purpose is not promotional. For example Punk has a pepsi globe but uf he uses the tattoo to promote hinself as having the endorsement of pepsi would cause a conflict.

For Punk promotional images tend to blur or omit the pepsi tattoo, or put it in such a way it is not the focus. Punk can never license its use because he does not own, nor does the tattooist, the underlying copyright.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lid posted:

As it stands the copyright of the tattoo, assuming its an original design by the artist, is owned by the tattooist. In the case of Brock either he designed them (lol) or he pays a licensing fee to the artist to use the work in promotional materials. That's not to say tattooists have a complete ownership over their own images in promotional material and there are fair use exemptions:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/nba-2k-lebron-james-publisher-wins-lawsuit-over-tattoos/

Tattooing of copyrighted images is a different matter - you're allowed to show them off freely so long as said purpose is not promotional. For example Punk has a pepsi globe but uf he uses the tattoo to promote hinself as having the endorsement of pepsi would cause a conflict.

For Punk promotional images tend to blur or omit the pepsi tattoo, or put it in such a way it is not the focus. Punk can never license its use because he does not own, nor does the tattooist, the underlying copyright.

Thank you for this.

But if, as you say, Brock is paying a license fee to the tattooist for the use of the tattoo. If WWE puts out a Brock Lensar T-Shirt,

(like this)

Do they also have to pay a license fee to the tatooist? Does the agreement that Brock has with the tattooist cover it's further use by the WWE? Does the tattooist have any recourse if they don't pay? Cos in this case it's a lot more than "fair use" as they are specifically using the distinct image as a promotional tool.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Barry could probably make that claim he was the best wrestler in the world around about... '89-ish or so.

no, that was Steamboat

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Is this Ray Traylor vs Barbarian?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is this Ray Traylor vs Barbarian?

Traylor started out as a jobber before impressing the right people, so they put him as Cornette's bodyguard

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BrigadierSensible posted:

A silly question regarding image rights.

Using Brock Lesnar here only as an example, although there are other wrestlers this could apply to.

Brock has a silly tattoo on both his front and back. Both of these silly tattoos are unique and memorable. At least one of these tattoos has been used in marketing/merchandise for WWE, (I know they used his silly back monster for a T-Shirt).

Who owns the rights to said silly monster? The tattoo artist? Brock? WWE? When signing "image rights" contracts do you have to include specific clauses for tattoos like that?

How about if, (to use him purely as an example), like CM Punk, the tattoo is of another company's logo or something that is owned by someone else? Do you have to get permission from Pepsi for every commercial image of CM Punk that shows that tattoo? Blur it out on any monetized image?

There's literally a lawsuit going on right now between a tattoo artist and Randy Orton because of this.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
They are a joke in WWE, but which wrestlers have (or have had) a ninja gimmick? Great Sasuke is obviously one I guess, but I'm drawing a blank on others.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lily Catts posted:

They are a joke in WWE, but which wrestlers have (or have had) a ninja gimmick? Great Sasuke is obviously one I guess, but I'm drawing a blank on others.

Kwang.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Ninja Mack

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lily Catts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqQCoJ5Fy8

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The Jerichoholic ninja

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lily Catts posted:

The Great Muta in his original excursions in the US was "The Super Black Ninja"

Various territories had "Super Ninjas".

Then you had WCW sticking wrestler Ranger Ross in a mask and tried to pass him off as "The Pearl" (of the Orient), a Great Muta knock-off.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

Does kung fu janela count?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Ron Reis became the Super Giant Ninja after the Ye-tay fiasco inevitably failed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hayabusa?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Glacier was a member of the Lin Kuei.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the Ninja Turtles have wrestled many matches

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Gavok posted:

Glacier was a member of the Lin Kuei.

By similar convention then Mortis and Wrath?

Sinistar
May 8, 2004

I hunger.
ICP

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Whatever Al Snow's Avatar was supposed to be.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Would Paul Diamond as Kato in the WWF Orient Express count?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lily Catts posted:

Lord Tensai. :v:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He was a samurai you fool.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Origin posted:

Whatever Al Snow's Avatar was supposed to be.

Al Snow literally had a gimmick called "Shinobi"

Here is Shinobi vs. Tajiri in 2004
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdvu6kaUGA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
At what point did amateur wrestling and pro wrestling get their names? Obviously what we call amateur wrestling is real and has been around for thousands of years so how did the carny pro wrestling business manage to get the naming convention changed?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

At what point did amateur wrestling and pro wrestling get their names? Obviously what we call amateur wrestling is real and has been around for thousands of years so how did the carny pro wrestling business manage to get the naming convention changed?

Originally, the carny stuff actually was real wrestling, or at least ostensibly was, but they were charging admission and paying people and turning a profit and stuff, and they billed themselves as professional wrestling. They didn't have to "earn" the name any more than professional baseball clubs did. So the carny stuff was always "pro wrestling" and over the years it resembled actual wrestling less and less.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Edit: Never mind, someone beat me to the Super Giant Ninja.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

takuya sugi was a great ninja gimmick

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

rujasu posted:

Originally, the carny stuff actually was real wrestling, or at least ostensibly was, but they were charging admission and paying people and turning a profit and stuff, and they billed themselves as professional wrestling. They didn't have to "earn" the name any more than professional baseball clubs did. So the carny stuff was always "pro wrestling" and over the years it resembled actual wrestling less and less.

Year 1: let’s just pretend to wrestle we’ll get hurt less
Year 2: let’s add a little razzle dazzle to our matches to make em more exciting
Year 3: let’s have a reverse ladder match where the winner gets to gently caress my wife

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Year 1: let’s just pretend to wrestle we’ll get hurt less
Year 2: let’s add a little razzle dazzle to our matches to make em more exciting
Year 3: let’s have a reverse ladder match where the winner gets to gently caress my wife

Year 1 probably also involved a lot of match fixing for gambling purposes.

Also back in the old days, professional sports were crude affairs that were looked down upon and amateur sports were pure and gentlemanly (see Olympics and NCAA) so pro was less an earned title and more of an insult.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pseudodragon posted:

Year 1 probably also involved a lot of match fixing for gambling purposes.

Also back in the old days, professional sports were crude affairs that were looked down upon and amateur sports were pure and gentlemanly (see Olympics and NCAA) so pro was less an earned title and more of an insult.

Match fixing for gambling purposes is in fact why wrestling became a work in the mid 1800s.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's more:
Hey, we can fix these matches and make money by working the books.
Oh, hey, we can just make the whole fight fake and not get so beat up.
Oh, if we work together we can do some razzle-dazzle to make it more fun for the audience and sell more tickets.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was with Hogan constantly calling Ted DiBiase the Multi-Million Dollar Man?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
inflation, brother

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ted DiBiase always has a million dollars, because he is the Million Dollar Man. When he, say, pays Andre The Giant a million dollars to beat Hulk Hogan and hand him the WWF Championship, you would think he would have zero dollars left, but you would be wrong, because Ted DiBiase is the Million Dollar Man, so he therefore has a million dollars left.

Hogan, therefore, thinks DiBiase must have multiple millions of dollars, hence why he calls him the Multi-Million Dollar Man, yet he'd be wrong, because Ted DiBiase always has a million dollars. In conclusion, Hulk Hogan is an idiot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weirdly that reminded me that WWE at some point decided to recognise Andre's win over Hogan for the belt, but NOT DiBiase being given it. So officially Andre held the title for like 5 minutes, and it was then vacated.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Weirdly that reminded me that WWE at some point decided to recognise Andre's win over Hogan for the belt, but NOT DiBiase being given it. So officially Andre held the title for like 5 minutes, and it was then vacated.

Andre won it, DiBiase bought it, which was the reason given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Venomous posted:

Ted DiBiase always has a million dollars, because he is the Million Dollar Man. When he, say, pays Andre The Giant a million dollars to beat Hulk Hogan and hand him the WWF Championship, you would think he would have zero dollars left, but you would be wrong, because Ted DiBiase is the Million Dollar Man, so he therefore has a million dollars left.

Hogan, therefore, thinks DiBiase must have multiple millions of dollars, hence why he calls him the Multi-Million Dollar Man, yet he'd be wrong, because Ted DiBiase always has a million dollars. In conclusion, Hulk Hogan is an idiot

Are you retconning Ted Dibiase by Hundo Supreme's rules, scaled up?