Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Unreal_One posted:

It very much depends on how you define Norse, I guess. Is the Proto-Germanic spoken in 5th century BC Denmark Norse? I'd be unsurprised if the etymology of kraft is much older than Hippocrates, but it's also arguable if that's Norse yet.

You'd need to go another thousand years back to get to our first recorded mention of cancer (although by another name). An Egyptian physician's surgical manual from about 1600 BCE describes a tumorous ailment that is likely cancer. Somewhat chillingly, in a scroll that is otherwise full of occasionally incorrect but generally practical advice for surgical treatments, for this ailment the author concludes "there is no treatment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/bencoates1/status/1488879801700163585

I like having a healthy sleep schedule.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

To think, the lazy dutch are gretting 18 minutes of sleep more than the industerious germans!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In bed doesn’t mean asleep!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I mean, I don't think it'd be hard to argue that sleeping longer is a natural consequence of working harder.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Subjunctive posted:

In bed doesn’t mean asleep!

the traditional italian sleeping pattern is in the field, using hay as a pillow, while an oversized hat covers their eyes. the map does not seemingly account for this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I worked for the shipyard, we'd all sleep for an hour on our 30-minute lunch break. Is that calculated in?

The older guys had mattresses but I had to make do with a comfy chair.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Do those maps take into account bizarre foreign nap culture??

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, I don't think it'd be hard to argue that sleeping longer is a natural consequence of working harder.

Only if that's your stereotype. If it was shorter you'd be IRONICALLY quipping about the industrious Nordics outpacing the indolent people of lesser latitudes.
IRONICALLY.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Portugal/Eastern Europe, etc..

Actually I think it's more precise to say Portugal is the Balkans in this case.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danes are podpeople and never sleep

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Danes are podpeople and never sleep

A friend lived in Zimbabwe (I think? it was two decades ago) for a while, and encountered the superstition that albinos are immortal*. When they asked how anyone could believe that, the answer was: "have you ever seen a dead albino?"

Same with Danes and sleep.

*) Dunno how common a superstition, but I know there's plenty of other superstitions about people with albinism in many African countries.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

God I wish I could sleep as much as a European.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

GoutPatrol posted:

God I wish I could sleep as much as a European.

Even the higher end countries there at 7.5 hours ish likely have most of the population not getting enough sleep, it should really be at well over 8 as an average.

The developed world has an endemic of sleep deprivation going on, its pretty horrifying when you read into the health effects of it. Most people could improve their lives significantly by sleeping an extra hour a night.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

You can absolutely use "coronalijer" (corona-sufferer) as a swear if you like, the language is flexible like that.

Although you might just get laughs because it's not in common use and people would see it as a joking way to modernize certain words.

I mean, yeah, I recently told a friend: "Blijf met je vuile aidshanden van m'n lijf" ("Keep your dirty AIDS paws off me"). She does not have AIDS by the way.

In re: "die slow", a local curse here is "Sterf thuis!" ("Go die at home"). It's a bit of a weird one. I also recall an incident in Norway where a drunken old man yelled "dø!" at me from the counter of a hotel. He thought I didn't understand him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It (correctly) lists "nine nine" on Finland but nowhere else, as I see it. Is this true?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i dont think denmarks math works out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blut posted:

Even the higher end countries there at 7.5 hours ish likely have most of the population not getting enough sleep, it should really be at well over 8 as an average.

The developed world has an endemic of sleep deprivation going on, its pretty horrifying when you read into the health effects of it. Most people could improve their lives significantly by sleeping an extra hour a night.

But number has to go up. No, not that number.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i dont think denmarks math works out

4.5 times 20 is 90, plus 9 is 99, works perfectly

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress off Batman posted:

4.5 times 20 is 90, plus 9 is 99, works perfectly

Somehow I missed the plus 9

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The gently caress out of here Vatican.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Neat map. How did Basque, Georgian, and French all come up - presumably independently - with the same weird system? Covering the southern half of France with a historical language that is no longer spoken by anyone is kind of odd too. Like why is Occitan considered but not actually spoken languages like Amazigh in North Africa?

And then is it uniquely Welsh with the 10 + 4x20 + 9 system? I don’t quite understand how that is conveyed by Nawdeg Naw. Sounds like like it is 90+9 to me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Saladman posted:

And then is it uniquely Welsh with the 10 + 4x20 + 9 system? I don’t quite understand how that is conveyed by Nawdeg Naw. Sounds like like it is 90+9 to me.

I don't actually know welsh, but I will take on the map's word that <transcribes the words indicated by **> means 10 + 4x20 + 9.

Also, I was looking where it was 100 - 1, but then it dawned on me that it looks like a thing from the roman numeral system, and yep. Close enough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's doing all the variations Wales should have purple too for cant namyn un.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Shouldn't the pope be using whatever <XCIX> is?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Shouldn't the pope be using whatever <XCIX> is?

IC is the same thing with less letters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
ILL

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Someone posted it to reddit. Their rationale was "gently caress states, vivent les départements!"

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Saladman posted:

Neat map. How did Basque, Georgian, and French all come up - presumably independently - with the same weird system?
Many European languages originally used vigesimal counting systems before Greek and Roman influence and the adoption of Hindu-Arabic numerals made decimal the standard.

It's not even a particularly weird numeral base.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

saintonan posted:

IC is the same thing with less letters.

There are weird rules about the subtraction thing. Only a power of 10 letter (I, X, C, etc) can be the subtracted number at all, and then only from the next two bigger letters. So you could have IV and IX, but not IL, IC, etc. This is why copyright dates in the 20th century all started with MCM... and didn't become shorter subtractive things as the year 2000 approached -- the only thing you can subtract from an M is a C. Like 1995 isn't MVM since that's two different kinds of wrong; it has to be MCMXCV.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 9, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And then kings and clocks have their own stupid rules like 8 being VIII instead of IIX.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

And then kings and clocks have their own stupid rules like 8 being VIII instead of IIX.

to my knowlegde IIX was never a thing

IIII did exist, however

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Powered Descent posted:

There are weird rules about the subtraction thing. Only a power of 10 letter (I, X, C, etc) can be the subtracted number at all, and then only from the next two bigger letters. So you could have IV and IX, but not IL, IC, etc. This is why copyright dates in the 20th century all started with MCM... and didn't become shorter subtractive things as the year 2000 approached -- the only thing you can subtract from an M is a C. Like 1995 isn't MVM since that's two different kinds of wrong; it has to be MCMXCV.
Were the Romans ever such sticklers for math rules? I feel like they'd be more likely to write the ICth Legion and then telling any Greeks who tried to correct them to shut up or get on the cross.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Were the Romans ever such sticklers for math rules? I feel like they'd be more likely to write the ICth Legion and then telling any Greeks who tried to correct them to shut up or get on the cross.

No. The rules came long after the decline of the Roman Empire.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Many European languages originally used vigesimal counting systems before Greek and Roman influence and the adoption of Hindu-Arabic numerals made decimal the standard.

It's not even a particularly weird numeral base.

Huh, interesting that only modern French retained it of Romance languages — not even Occitan, let alone Swiss or Belgian.

It’d be interesting to see a more international version of that map. Like how do indigenous North American and New Guinean languages count 99?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Saladman posted:

Neat map. How did Basque, Georgian, and French all come up - presumably independently - with the same weird system? Covering the southern half of France with a historical language that is no longer spoken by anyone is kind of odd too. Like why is Occitan considered but not actually spoken languages like Amazigh in North Africa?

One of the most interesting alternate futures is that England loses all the possessions in the north of France; Calais, Normandy, etc etc, but somehow keeps Guyenne. It becomes a constituent country like Wales, or Scotland. And those people create their own culture and keep their own language separate from English separate from Parisian French.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mercator! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Interstates are neat, complicated, and impossibly massive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fn_30AD7Pk

Of course, the interstates are not the only federal national highways, but they are the most comprehensive of the highway projects across the nation.

A metro-style highway map.

An actual long-distance rail map. (not comprehensive, just some long-distance Amtrak routes) https://amtrakguide.com/routes/

I see a lot of Europeans doing videos on their transit systems, but they're usually much more localized and done on a way smaller scale than the way the US has to manage its systems. I guess the fact that the federal government has to design and fund most of the projects is one more thing that pushes our transit system to prioritize long-distance travel rather than local urban planning, and the scale of building means that it takes much longer to redesign the system, since much of the interstate system was planned and built at a time when Europe was also much more positive about cars.