Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baggot posted:

CLEVELAND ROCKS

Somehow, the river is still on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

haveblue posted:

"hmm, looks like this place didn't change much when civilization fell and robots scoured earth clean of all life"

Oh come on there's probably like, less Confederate flags around for one.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Oh come on there's probably like, less Confederate flags around for one.

Gaia’s attempt at Midwest animals just recreated neo-Nazis, I’m afraid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the plan for best Dino-hunting:

Buy Cheaper PS4 option, Pray that PS5 option unlocks immediately?

Buy PS5 and sit back?

Buy PS4 Digital and realize that the PS5 Upgrade doesn't work for digital?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I thought this thread might be the likeliest place to perhaps find like-minded people; is anyone else around here not in the slightest bit enthused by Elden Ring releasing? Like who gives two shits about a new soulsborne when Forbidden West is about to come out? I'm not trying to poo poo on it at all, it's going to be great and popular and loads of people are going to enjoy it - probably including me at some point in the future - and those are all good things that I wish for every game and its players, but right now I couldn't give any less of a fingerful of feces about it if I tried, and I was feeling alone in that so wanted to find if anyone else felt the same way...?

If it turns out I'm alone in that then fine, if not then... also fine; I'll feel like I have company! I'm just curious to know where I stand.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh I won't care in the slightest about a new Souls type game unless it has way stronger difficulty options to cater to a baby gamer such as myself. I know this one's being pitched as less punishing but I don't expect it to get anywhere near what I feel like trying to handle even so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cactus posted:

I thought this thread might be the likeliest place to perhaps find like-minded people; is anyone else around here not in the slightest bit enthused by Elden Ring releasing? Like who gives two shits about a new soulsborne when Forbidden West is about to come out? I'm not trying to poo poo on it at all, it's going to be great and popular and loads of people are going to enjoy it - probably including me at some point in the future - and those are all good things that I wish for every game and its players, but right now I couldn't give any less of a fingerful of feces about it if I tried, and I was feeling alone in that so wanted to find if anyone else felt the same way...?

If it turns out I'm alone in that then fine, if not then... also fine; I'll feel like I have company! I'm just curious to know where I stand.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I should take a week off because I have exactly just one week to play this poo poo before Elden Ring comes out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've never been into the BloodRingSoul style gameplay. I'm sure that Elden Ring is going to have amazing lore and some great vistas, but I'd rather spend the time in dinopocalypse futureworld than learning the timing for perfect parry windows.

All the good lore poo poo from Ring I'll just consume via Vatyaviidya youtubes, anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Souls games are fine but Horizon is like someone reached into my childhood and pulled out every single thing I thought was cool into one game. Also I have a feeling Forbidden West's story will be very easily spoiled, as opposed to Elden Ring where nobody's really going to give a poo poo about the plot and everyone needs a month to figure out which stats don't even work anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't really care about Elden Ring PVP so I don't need to play it launch when the population peaks. I'll get around to it when I'm done with Forbidden West

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
I'm super excited about Horizon Forbidden West, but have no interest in Elden ring. I just am not into the Souls Like types gameplay. No vitriol to it though, I respect it, just not for me.

Also, preordered for the statue, but didn't realize the Regalia Edition had a different version. Wish I ordered that earlier >.<

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love them both and am gonna be extremely conflicted when I don't have time to finish Horizon before ER releases.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I will enjoy Elden Ring at some point, but the games have gotten very same-y. And this one looks like more of the same. Without a narrative hook, its hard for me to be that excited.

Forbidden West also looks like its more of the same as HZD, but I have played fewer of these games than Souls-likes and I am pretty excited to see where the story goes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I love them both and am gonna be extremely conflicted when I don't have time to finish Horizon before ER releases.

Big ol :same:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw boo, I was just looking to see if there were preorder bonuses, but they're only for the deluxe edition. At least they're only outfits, I can live without that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah that seems to be a rough equivalence to how I feel; I think Elden ring will be great but I'm hyped for Forbidden West and I'm indifferent to Elden Ring.

Thanks for responding it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really care about something the entire internet is going crazy about :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You do get a Rost-themed outfit and spear for preordering any edition. W@W!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I already don't like soulslikes for the most part and I have negative interest in any story that GRRM wrote so I'm probably not even going to look for streams or whatever out of curiosity.

It'll probably win tons of awards though I'm sure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You do get a Rost-themed outfit and spear for preordering any edition. W@W!

Oh that's bizarre. It's listed directly on the promo image for the deluxe one, but not a peep on the regular one. I see it after scrolling all the way down to a secondary edition selection page, but I never would've made it there if I wasn't specifically following up.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

FilthyImp posted:

What's the plan for best Dino-hunting:

Buy Cheaper PS4 option, Pray that PS5 option unlocks immediately?

Buy PS5 and sit back?

Buy PS4 Digital and realize that the PS5 Upgrade doesn't work for digital?

The digital versions were updated to indicate they are cross-buy and I've heard from others who already bought that the opposite version is now appearing in libraries already. I haven't bought it yet.

Here's the link to the PS4 digital version for $59.99:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA28561_00-FORBIDDENWESTPS4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

By the way, if folks don't know, there's a cool goon in sa-mart selling PSN (and other) digital gift cards at a constant 10% off. I and many others have bought roughly a billion dollars worth of credit from them with zero hassle, they're my go to every time a big game comes out just to get a free little discount.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

Yeah that seems to be a rough equivalence to how I feel; I think Elden ring will be great but I'm hyped for Forbidden West and I'm indifferent to Elden Ring.

Thanks for responding it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really care about something the entire internet is going crazy about :)

I also give zero shits about Elden Ring. I’m already looking forward to next Friday and may even nap after work so I can start it at midnight.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ok i finished Frozen Wilds and boy it just kind of ends huh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ok i finished Frozen Wilds and boy it just kind of ends huh
I mean, it's dlc and it wraps up all the themes in the area so...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The cauldron fight didn't feel a climax gameplay-wise (especially because the two sidequests unlocked after it are kill 5 more of the "final boss" and walk a bunch, follow some tracks, then fight it again) and narratively it made it seem like you would be going after Hephaestus next, which wouldn't even cause any continuity issues because it was only making machines go berserk in the Cut where it has infected the nearby cauldron and not all of the game world. I do feel like the DLC did a lot of stuff well like making most sidequests more involved but boss fights have always been something even the base game struggled with, with that final boss just being a larger version of an earlier boss.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unfortunately for everyone else the Souls series has awakened something dark and violent within me that compels me to invade and pillage.

It's actually the same impulse that compels me to aggro upon and kill every machine in sight. I stumble on a herd of Tramplers, my eyes flash red and I start to kill.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I think someone said that Guerilla was so surprised by the reception to Zero Dawn that they curtailed making more DLC's so they could jump right to the next game.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Phobophilia posted:

Unfortunately for everyone else the Souls series has awakened something dark and violent within me that compels me to invade and pillage.

It's actually the same impulse that compels me to aggro upon and kill every machine in sight. I stumble on a herd of Tramplers, my eyes flash red and I start to kill.

Nil’s origin story is finding a copy of dark souls in some old ruins

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's kind of weird how so many people failed to click with HZD combat, where they'd just ping arrows into the centre mass of the machines repeatedly dealing a single point of damage per, when you click a thumbstick and it highlights all the weakpoints of the machine and you mix and match the arrow to the component and they explode and all their armor falls off like the pantsed dude.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

It's kind of weird how so many people failed to click with HZD combat, where they'd just ping arrows into the centre mass of the machines repeatedly dealing a single point of damage per, when you click a thumbstick and it highlights all the weakpoints of the machine and you mix and match the arrow to the component and they explode and all their armor falls off like the pantsed dude.

This is pretty much how I played it the first time around because I think I had it on normal and I didn't really need to worry about weakpoints, plus a crappy framerate from playing it on a lovely old 970gtx didn't really allow for any fine movements. I just fell in love with the worldbuilding and lore more than anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accessibility Features in the Forbidden West

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdvancedEminentArmednylonshrimp-mobile.mp4

- Five Difficulty Levels: Story, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard.
- Custom Difficulty where you can set Aloy's health and damage independently.
- Gyro-aiming :eyepop:
- Easy loot option so that you don't have to break off specific machine parts to harvest the components.
- Automatic options for healing, gliding, and running.
- Various settings for informative to minimalist tooltips.
- Independent sound settings for machines, voices, and music, subtitle size.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gently caress yes. Gyro aiming in ALL games.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is that easy loot option just how it worked in the first game?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kinda? In the first game you could pick up stuff you knocked off the robot but also loot the corpse for a few more drops IIRC. It sounds like there will now be things that can only be picked up by knocking them off and will never drop from the corpse. The setting will pretend you knocked them all off and picked them up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

zakharov posted:

Is that easy loot option just how it worked in the first game?

Forbidden West's crafting system is going to be a bit more like Monster Hunter in that now when you're hunting for a specific part, you'll have to knock it off the machine intact or it could get destroyed. Easy Loot lets you bypass that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really appreciate the separation of the Vibration Intensity settings. I'll probably go 0% for Cinematics since that has always annoyed me and probably turn down UI and Traversal quite a bit.

There's one setting near the bottom we don't get a description for from the video called "Turn Off Tinnitus Sounds." I'm guessing there are parts in the game where they use high-pitched tones after an explosion or whatever to sell you on how deafening it was and you can disable that. And I definitely will!

Also,

"Co-Pilot: Turn this feature on to use a second controller with mirrored controls." Interesting. So a two-player single-player game.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't just read the article, lol, where they explain everything.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 10, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can someone explain what the co-pilot system is meant to do? Is it just so one person can focus on movement and the other on everything else?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone explain what the co-pilot system is meant to do? Is it just so one person can focus on movement and the other on everything else?

Enables a 2nd controller with mirrored controls. So someone else can literally step in and do input if needed without needing to pass the controller.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

- Gyro-aiming :eyepop:

:hellyeah: Nintendo's had it figured out for generations, I have no idea why it's taken so long for others to jump on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I legitimately don’t understand how anyone uses gyro aiming, and Nintendo’s forced use of it in a ton of games (note: almost every Wii game) was a huge turn off for me.