Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

acksplode posted:

I liked Exo One but it's not really a platformer. It's more about figuring out how to go fast and maintain speed with a weird vehicle. The movement is like skiing in Tribes, no other comparisons come to mind.

suddenly I'm interested, tribes pwned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You pilot an orbship with one button that makes you super heavy and another button that flattens you into a glideship, and they're kinda like skiing and using your jetpack respectively. You look for a downslope and then hold the heavy button so you roll fast down it, release it right before a ramp and now you're midair, then you hold the glide button for as long as you have energy (charged by touching the ground) while looking for your next ramp, repeat. A couple other details: friction from flying through clouds charges your ship's energy, which lets you fly indefinitely as long as you're flying through them, and when you're gliding you can skip along the surface of water like a stone. Each level plays differently due to its environment, but they all have the same goal of reaching a shining light far off in the distance. The game is mostly traversing barren alien environments, with a couple trippier levels in the back half. There's a vague mysterious story that you can ignore. It's fun but short with no replay value, so good for game pass.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It kind of is like if you tried to describe sonic to a bunch of high as poo poo art students and then they tried to explain how to make the game to a developer, but at no point could they say the word sonic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Everything you're saying about Exo One reminds me about DEFUNCT which was fun for about half an hour but not really any longer than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5KUOpsu2s&t=540s

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

ErrEff posted:

Unfortunately there's not many like it, especially not on Game Pass. The original Psychonauts, if you've never played it, still holds up rather well.

Super Lucky's Tale comes close, though it is more in line with the 3D Mario lineage. (there's also New Super Lucky's Tale, which is a remaster)

Destroy All Humans? More of an action game than a platformer, originally made to ride the wave of semi-open world GTA-likes back in the PS2/Xbox era.

Control? It's an action shooter, but there's some platforming involved, also lots of floating and dashing around enemies.

...the Banjo & Kazooie games, if you've never played them? Much older but worth a try.

Lastly, these are 2D platformers but they all have (IMO) good movement controls: Hollow Knight, the two Ori games and Celeste (I think this one isn't on GP anymore).

i own psychonauts, in multiple forms on multiple systems, which was the whole reason i tried 2, 2 is everything about 1 made 10 times better and was well worth the 20 year wait.

I played DAH in the ps2 days and had a good time with it, havent tried it since. banjo kazooie might be worth it since i think i'm finally over kicking myself for buying The World is Not Enough for my n64 rather than that...tbf i read a review of the playstation version of it, and it looked so incredibly badass, and even though i was a lucky enough kid to have both, EB Games was sold out of the playstation one and only had the n64, and, well, i'd dragged my sister to the mall so i could get that drat game, she wasn't going to let me leave without it. Kinda wondering how an n64 game somehow balooned into half a gig tho.

It doesnt necessarily have to be a platformer. I'm ok with other genres, its just a lot of other genres don't really prioritize movement like platformers do. Unravel was great, up until i just got stuck on one puzzle. like, i've watched youtube, i know *how* to do it, i just can't get it to work. that was also some fun movement. GTA 5 is really fun because the movement in that game is good.

I'll throw super lucky's tale into my download queue, same with ori, which i keep looking at and going "maybe". My big issue with a lot of puzzle platformers is they go too hard into the "cute" asthetic and well, i'm not a cutsey sort of person.

Also open to suggestions for just fun games in general like katamari. i really also love crafting/building type games, but i've yet to find one that i really love on xbox. i downloaded stardew on gamepass, after sinking 100's of hours into it on switch, and i liked it better on switch, same with Cities Skylines, which i've played on both xbox and pc, and i'm really dissapointed my current pc just refuses to run it. exo one sounds like a fun game to give a shot too. Mostly, 99% of what i play on my xbox is 2k or madden, and I have access to all these great games and kinda don't even know where to start. I just deleted madden for the year, to pick it up when 22 is on gamepass, so i need something else to fill that in.

ngl, that's my favorite thing about gamepass. i've tried so many games, and the only thing i invest is at most 2-3 days to download (building wide internet...even hardwired in i cap out at 5mbps), if i don't like it, i don't get upset i go "eh, too bad", i don't kick myself for wasting 4 hours of pay on something i hated.

E: it's not on gamepass, but i have sale alerts for it. i played at a friend's house and it was just as good as the original, one of the very few remakes to not screw something up. the OG shows its age a little, but 2 is still GOAT.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 10, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did the Tony Hawk pro skater good remake come out on xbox? That was always the gold standard for me for games where the control just became second nature and was actually really relaxing. I didn’t play the recent good remake but I bought the earlier bad one on pc and it was really lacking in getting the “feel” of the original right.

Put it on game pass once the activision deal closes asap!!

E: oh it was called thps 1+2 and was on xbone

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 10, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

priznat posted:

Did the Tony Hawk pro skater good remake come out on xbox? That was always the gold standard for me for games where the control just became second nature and was actually really relaxing. I didn’t play the recent good remake but I bought the earlier bad one on pc and it was really lacking in getting the “feel” of the original right.

Put it on game pass once the activision deal closes asap!!

E: oh it was called thps 1+2 and was on xbone

The tony hawk 1+2 remaster is excellent and the gameplay has translated really well over the years, but I kind of ran through it all in a week and never felt the urge to boot it up again. Glad I got it on sale.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The tony hawk 1+2 remaster is excellent and the gameplay has translated really well over the years, but I kind of ran through it all in a week and never felt the urge to boot it up again. Glad I got it on sale.

I felt so burned by that previous remake I avoided it, but if it was on game pass it’d have a forever home on both my pc and xbox.

Lately after getting as far as I can on Death’s Door (gently caress the boss fights in that game, honestly) I’m just all about doing everything possible in the Hitman trilogy. I really can’t wait for when they add the roguelike mode with persistent base storing the gear you collect!

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Isn't the deal with inverted controls something about how one way feels good for controlling a character and the other is for vehicles or whatever?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SpiderLink posted:

Isn't the deal with inverted controls something about how one way feels good for controlling a character and the other is for vehicles or whatever?

Inverted is a flight sim thing so old loser like me that played 5000 hours of poo poo like gen chuck yeager's (ret.) air combat on a pc with a joystick a decade before analog aiming was standard are hosed up

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

AA is for Quitters posted:

i own psychonauts, in multiple forms on multiple systems, which was the whole reason i tried 2, 2 is everything about 1 made 10 times better and was well worth the 20 year wait.

I played DAH in the ps2 days and had a good time with it, havent tried it since. banjo kazooie might be worth it since i think i'm finally over kicking myself for buying The World is Not Enough for my n64 rather than that...tbf i read a review of the playstation version of it, and it looked so incredibly badass, and even though i was a lucky enough kid to have both, EB Games was sold out of the playstation one and only had the n64, and, well, i'd dragged my sister to the mall so i could get that drat game, she wasn't going to let me leave without it. Kinda wondering how an n64 game somehow balooned into half a gig tho.

It doesnt necessarily have to be a platformer. I'm ok with other genres, its just a lot of other genres don't really prioritize movement like platformers do. Unravel was great, up until i just got stuck on one puzzle. like, i've watched youtube, i know *how* to do it, i just can't get it to work. that was also some fun movement. GTA 5 is really fun because the movement in that game is good.

I'll throw super lucky's tale into my download queue, same with ori, which i keep looking at and going "maybe". My big issue with a lot of puzzle platformers is they go too hard into the "cute" asthetic and well, i'm not a cutsey sort of person.

Also open to suggestions for just fun games in general like katamari. i really also love crafting/building type games, but i've yet to find one that i really love on xbox. i downloaded stardew on gamepass, after sinking 100's of hours into it on switch, and i liked it better on switch, same with Cities Skylines, which i've played on both xbox and pc, and i'm really dissapointed my current pc just refuses to run it. exo one sounds like a fun game to give a shot too. Mostly, 99% of what i play on my xbox is 2k or madden, and I have access to all these great games and kinda don't even know where to start. I just deleted madden for the year, to pick it up when 22 is on gamepass, so i need something else to fill that in.

ngl, that's my favorite thing about gamepass. i've tried so many games, and the only thing i invest is at most 2-3 days to download (building wide internet...even hardwired in i cap out at 5mbps), if i don't like it, i don't get upset i go "eh, too bad", i don't kick myself for wasting 4 hours of pay on something i hated.

E: it's not on gamepass, but i have sale alerts for it. i played at a friend's house and it was just as good as the original, one of the very few remakes to not screw something up. the OG shows its age a little, but 2 is still GOAT.

If you like crafting and mild combat you might like Craftopia which seems to be created by and for lunatics. It's not officially released or whatever but its on GP and you can craft everything for the rest of your life.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Aren't you supposed to get notifications when stuff on your wish list goes on sale? Because I don't seem to get those.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
trailer for exo one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWNDdmwzAs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What the gently caress I cant wait to get high as poo poo and play this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Inverted is a flight sim thing so old loser like me that played 5000 hours of poo poo like gen chuck yeager's (ret.) air combat on a pc with a joystick a decade before analog aiming was standard are hosed up

It was default as recently as Max Payne 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is it possible to actually play the Crossfire X campaign aka Maximum Crysis Payne 4 yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNFGH8c4yc

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So what is going on with Activision now? No existing IP will be exclusive including future cods etc?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We’ll see what they say once the deal clears FTC scrutiny

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s going to be interesting when the big xbox/MS game studios splash screen comes up on a playstation before a new cod or whatever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Aren't you supposed to get notifications when stuff on your wish list goes on sale? Because I don't seem to get those.

Haven't heard that. I just check the store at least once a week and run through my wishlist.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

The United States posted:

Is it possible to actually play the Crossfire X campaign aka Maximum Crysis Payne 4 yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNFGH8c4yc

I've been playing the multiplayer game that came out today. It's OK if a little barebones. Most matches (of the point capture mode) end up with one team spawn camping the other with Boogeymen (an ingame unlock that basically turns you in to a super soldier). :laugh: There's also a gamemode more like Counterstrike.

If I access the MS Store through the game's menu I can see a CrossfireX: Operation Catalyst that is the "first part" of the campaign. But I think you have to buy it like a DLC. The campaign doesn't seem to have achievements yet either which is odd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hatty posted:

We’ll see what they say once the deal clears FTC scrutiny

Its this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can you hook up a mouse and keyboard to a Series X? Probably uncomfortable on a couch but I can't imagine quake on a controller

Snowy posted:

I feel like an old man whenever I try any first person game, they feel like wearing blinders. I wish I could get used to it but nope.

I've been playing Halo Infinite on both Mouse + Controller, I definitely prefer it on Mouse but for some reason that's one game where I do actually do better on controller. The autoaim is ridiculous on some of the weapons, but it does make it way harder to say snipe headshots.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you hook up a mouse and keyboard to a Series X? Probably uncomfortable on a couch but I can't imagine quake on a controller

Yes, and Quake accepts it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Yes, and Quake accepts it.

That's awesome. Been playing Prodeus a bit on PC but I just hate using my PC these days (work from home probably had a lot to do with that) and I was hoping when it came to Console I could mouse/kb it on there too. Awesome awesome game btw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can you plug a logitech or other brand wireless dongle in a series s/x?

Also in the game listings on gamepass etc does it mention if mkb is supported or is it something to look up elsewhere?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prodeus is so good, but time for yet more Quake.

Edit: I don't know how you find out if a game supports m+kb, it was just something in the patch notes for Quake that I saw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think when Prodeus leaves early access it's supposed to be getting console ports. Which is good because the controller controls are fantastic outside of the mildly clunky weapon switching.

I'll honestly probably just buy a copy I think they deserve it. Was actually gonna buy it on PC until I saw it on gamepass, and I'd rather beta test it for free and pay for the final version on console.

Although I hope the final version has more levels and a better approach to respawning otherwise it's 10/10

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I think when Prodeus leaves early access it's supposed to be getting console ports. Which is good because the controller controls are fantastic outside of the mildly clunky weapon switching.

I'll honestly probably just buy a copy I think they deserve it. Although I hope the final version has more levels and a better approach to respawning otherwise it's 10/10

Did you not try the user made maps for the game? Theres some real bangers in there and made me a lot more confident in the total package.

I... I also bought it despite it being on game pass and having played it there. My first title doing that, my secret shame

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't yet but I plan on it. I've just been wrapped up with other stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

priznat posted:

Also in the game listings on gamepass etc does it mention if mkb is supported or is it something to look up elsewhere?

Got a friend that plays warzone like that, a logitech dongle should work fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Got a friend that plays warzone like that, a logitech dongle should work fine.

Does it put them in pc lobbies or other controller console ones?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

priznat posted:

On PS4 I played with other PS4 fellows but I don't know if cross platform is for everyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat posted:

Unless it's changed afaik Playstation can turn off crossplay in WZ but Xbox can't. It'll sort try to match you with other people using the same input, but you'll still end up with a mix due to the nature of the game/parties.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't yet but I plan on it. I've just been wrapped up with other stuff.

Theres good stuff in there. Also guns and monsters not yet used in the main campaign.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

Works on my wireless keyboard OP.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The only “negative” thing I can say about it is that they nailed the controls and physics so well anyone who put time into the originals will find the muscle memory to burn through it pretty quick.

Might be heresy but I think DLC of brand-new levels would have been a welcome addition. The team obviously knew what they were doing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If they put out a remaster of 3/4, I’d never play another game again.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
jesus loving christ the main menu of CrossfireX runs at approximately 3fps and you can't change the graphics settings from "Quality" to "Performance". I literally can't even navigate the menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I still can't believe Remedy made a game based on a 90s marble game.

Well. Actually this seems on brand nevermind.