Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Flytrap posted:

The Berserk one was pretty fun but only if you were willing to accept that they very clearly built the game around one character (Guts) and the others are just kinda superfluous. Like Casca is built around grappling moves and poo poo that just...don't work on Large enemies. Of which there are a loving LOT. Griffith is about big sweeping poo poo that clears human hordes well but just fly past all the huge demons. All of Guts different movesets work perfectly through, I love running around in the Endless Nightmare mode with the basic rear end Golden Era kit.

I liked Berserk a lot yeah; you're right that it falls short on the playable character front (like 90% of the story missions force you to play as Guts, and as you've said, the enemies seemed to be designed with his toolkit specifically in mind), but as A Game Where You Play As Guts it was better than I expected it to be.

It was also my first introduction to that universe, so it inspired me to check out the manga, and I was surprised to see that as dark as the game got at times, it really was holding back quite a bit from the source material. It is a work of high highs and low lows, is my review. But the game did a good job of telling the story to someone completely unitiated, though it really could have benefitted from a copy editor at times, the english localization had a lot of weird grammar issues that made it look like it was written by an intern at times. But it handled the big beats well, and the full-on anime cutscenes were a cool surprise

And as much as the musou format fit the fiction like a glove for the most part, I had to laugh at the part where it recreates the dramatic moment where Guts kills 100 men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mode 7 posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 vs OPPW 4?
I've got 3 sitting around from some previous Humble Bundle and 4 is on Game Pass at the moment, and I've been getting back into the manga lately after a long hiatus (I will finish the Dressrosa arc this time!) and would be keen to do some One Piece musou

3 is better from what I played of each (lots of 3, a couple hours of 4). In particular I like the way the action flows better in 3, the Kizuna system makes it feel like you're working with your crew and the game feels fast paced, more important enemies in 4 have guard meters you have to break through and I didn't really like the way it felt in comparison.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Persona 5 Strikers is a freebie on the PS+ this month. I enjoyed it, but I think it'd be kind of rough for anyone that hasn't played Persona 5. Story-wise it's a sequel to the original Persona 5, as it was in development at the same time as Royal. They did a good job of maintaining the style of P5 and adapting the gameplay to be a mix between the two styles. Probably my favorite musou game in years.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Persona 5 Strikers is a freebie on the PS+ this month. I enjoyed it, but I think it'd be kind of rough for anyone that hasn't played Persona 5. Story-wise it's a sequel to the original Persona 5, as it was in development at the same time as Royal. They did a good job of maintaining the style of P5 and adapting the gameplay to be a mix between the two styles. Probably my favorite musou game in years.

I loved that game, yeah, but I dunno how much someone would get from it if they didn't play/enjoy P5. Or if they go in expecting a typical musou game because it...sort of is? But mostly is very different, and is more about dungeon crawling with small-scale musou combat in place of normal RPG battles. It works, but it's unlike any other musou game i've played.

The soundtrack hits the high bar set by P5, too, imo; the battle theme rips, it's a shame you only hear like the first 15 seconds of it on lower difficulties https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trg_pj_5bE

e: this one too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsfAiEEGuKo

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Morter posted:

I did a dumb thing and hopped into DW8XLCE, even though I beat it to death on the PS3, i forgot how fun and engaging it was to level up and find weapons and pull off combos and get body guards and build up your facilities in ambition mode...and before I knew it I played 6 hours in 2 sessions.

Goddamn it :negative:

This was me over the weekend. I played so much I gave myself Nintendo thumb and now I have to get back to work. I don’t think my boss will understand why my hand is all painy.

drat but DW8XL is so freaking good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ainsley McTree posted:

The soundtrack hits the high bar set by P5, too, imo; the battle theme rips, it's a shame you only hear like the first 15 seconds of it on lower difficulties https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trg_pj_5bE

That's one of two (normal) battle themes that are in Strikers (well if you don't get the DLC or have SSBU save data on the Switch version anyway), the other is Axe to Grind which seems to be unofficially Haru's theme song in the fandom, likely purely due to the title. :v:

Though of course if you get the super special version of Strikers like I did you can have the sweet remix of the P1 Revelations battle music, which honestly is so good I used it for my default battle theme for about half the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cArEdS_FrXU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

NameHurtBrain posted:

Oh yes, that's pretty much the ideal solution if KOEI wanted to expand the series into more than what it is. Just have enemies start dropping more loot beyond weapons. Add more customization and synergies with what you can use. Add some sort of near-infinite scaling. Let cooperative play have more players.

Are you telling me there aren't people who would run Wu Zhang Plains +42 with 3 friends over and over just to see how far they could go? Or to push a leaderboard even? To go farm Yi Ling to get Zhou Yu a stick that does 3 more fire damage on his S-string?

Dynasty Warriors Online was a thing for a while, years back. Biggest mode had 24 players.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
DWO was a weird (poo poo) game. Though my memory of things 10 years ago might be spotty.

PvE absolute poo poo tier, static map with AI dudes that stood around and attacked even less than in the mainline games, so just run from trigger to trigger and beat up literal dummies.

PvP iirc was actually most similar to the DOTA/MOBA lineage with different objectives, except again static map and the only movement was other players beating the crap out of each other. Also killing the dummies resulted in upgrades for you (both stat and weapon moveset chains iirc) and dying resulted in losing upgrades. IIRC the 24 player mode let a few players temporarily tag in and replace your mmodude with a superpowered main cast member after meeting some requirements; the lower player count modes did not.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 6, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The one thing I remember was there being movesets that never appeared elsewhere; some of the weapons did, but it was post-DW5, after the engine and movesets all changed. Also the ability to get a Wolf mount.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
PvP in Warriors games seems like something that can't really work to me, but if you did try to make it? A MOBA would be kinda what you go for, which would be my second guess at a possible development for the series(although MOBAs aren't big in Japan and that seems to be a big deal for Japanese developers even if it could mean more sales worldwide).

At a glance, it lines up. Take an evenly matched Empires map. You got two sides. You got creeps for exp/gold(Mook troops and officers). The heroes are your champions/legends/whatever buzzword you want to use. There's a goal for both sides - usually the enemy main camp, or a commander. It wouldn't be hard to incorporate other MOBA elements into dynasty warriors - an off the pass mercenary camp granting buffs or marching attacks against the enemy. League of Legends has something like 150~ playable characters, even if a lot of them aren't played due to meta reasons.

It breaks down in the micro. Warriors games have really leaned into you being an Anime-flavored fighting god, and I seriously imagine if you could pvp in DW8 at a high level, it'd be akin to Diablo 3 PVP.

Where it's basically who lands a hit first wins. Kind of a garbage rocket tag game, which can be fun, but is hardly competitive on the long term.

You'd have to scale back the power level to DW5 or before level, and do a lot of balancing tweaks. I youtube'd some DW4 versus play and it's not *terrible* but those fights are deliberately done with set stats. I imagine with the usual growth and having the option to use items it'd get rocket-tag style quick. Also most of them seems to be dicking around and I wouldn't surprised if it wasn't too hard to get an infinite going as you can against the AI in DW4. The Orochi series also has duels and it's appropriately absurd.

It actually sounds fun thinking about it, especially if you went DW themed with things for traditional MOBA effects. Instead of turrets you'd have beefy guard captains with a lot of archer cover. Big raid boss as the objective/commander. Maybe using the gold equivilent to set up strategems to use beyond the usual character improvements.

But it'd require a lot of balancing for any life, and uh, balance and dynasty warriors aren't words that go together.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

NameHurtBrain posted:

PvP in Warriors games seems like something that can't really work to me, but if you did try to make it? A MOBA would be kinda what you go for, which would be my second guess at a possible development for the series(although MOBAs aren't big in Japan and that seems to be a big deal for Japanese developers even if it could mean more sales worldwide).

At a glance, it lines up. Take an evenly matched Empires map. You got two sides. You got creeps for exp/gold(Mook troops and officers). The heroes are your champions/legends/whatever buzzword you want to use. There's a goal for both sides - usually the enemy main camp, or a commander. It wouldn't be hard to incorporate other MOBA elements into dynasty warriors - an off the pass mercenary camp granting buffs or marching attacks against the enemy. League of Legends has something like 150~ playable characters, even if a lot of them aren't played due to meta reasons.

It breaks down in the micro. Warriors games have really leaned into you being an Anime-flavored fighting god, and I seriously imagine if you could pvp in DW8 at a high level, it'd be akin to Diablo 3 PVP.

Where it's basically who lands a hit first wins. Kind of a garbage rocket tag game, which can be fun, but is hardly competitive on the long term.

You'd have to scale back the power level to DW5 or before level, and do a lot of balancing tweaks. I youtube'd some DW4 versus play and it's not *terrible* but those fights are deliberately done with set stats. I imagine with the usual growth and having the option to use items it'd get rocket-tag style quick. Also most of them seems to be dicking around and I wouldn't surprised if it wasn't too hard to get an infinite going as you can against the AI in DW4. The Orochi series also has duels and it's appropriately absurd.

It actually sounds fun thinking about it, especially if you went DW themed with things for traditional MOBA effects. Instead of turrets you'd have beefy guard captains with a lot of archer cover. Big raid boss as the objective/commander. Maybe using the gold equivilent to set up strategems to use beyond the usual character improvements.

But it'd require a lot of balancing for any life, and uh, balance and dynasty warriors aren't words that go together.

Yeah gently caress all that PvP poo poo because it will never work with a Musou game. Just give me some good MP PvE scenarios with ludicrous odds against actually surviving the masses. Only the strong survive, all that appropriately DW talk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Yeah gently caress all that PvP poo poo because it will never work with a Musou game. Just give me some good MP PvE scenarios with ludicrous odds against actually surviving the masses. Only the strong survive, all that appropriately DW talk.

*sanada maru intensifies*

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

lurksion posted:

DWO was a weird (poo poo) game. Though my memory of things 10 years ago might be spotty.

PvE absolute poo poo tier, static map with AI dudes that stood around and attacked even less than in the mainline games, so just run from trigger to trigger and beat up literal dummies.

I HOPE YOU LIKE THE SONG ARENA

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Necessary given your own statline was minion-level.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Necessary given your own statline was minion-level.

I do remember the occasional, brief encounter with Player Generals from the main series.

And I emphasize "brief".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now I'm picturing something like that new Dragonball game where you play as a lovely minion soldier and have to run away from/avoid/desperately try to defeat a DW general.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Dynasty Warriors, except you're literally one of the mooks Lu Bu swats away without even trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWhG6T-pPo&t=12s

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Mode 7 posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 vs OPPW 4?
I've got 3 sitting around from some previous Humble Bundle and 4 is on Game Pass at the moment, and I've been getting back into the manga lately after a long hiatus (I will finish the Dressrosa arc this time!) and would be keen to do some One Piece musou

I S-ranked both. The scale and destruction of 4 are rad, but the story mode and post-game stuff in 3 are better. I'd definitely recommend 3 if you're only going to get one.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

NameHurtBrain posted:

Dynasty Warriors, except you're literally one of the mooks Lu Bu swats away without even trying.

This would be even harder nowadays than before. In the old days, minions were using appropriate Warrior movesets, though you might be limited in number of strikes-two or three. Zhao Yun, Lu Meng, etc. These days, they've only got unique, absurdly slow(both in swing and recovery) single strikes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Bloodly posted:

This would be even harder nowadays than before. In the old days, minions were using appropriate Warrior movesets, though you might be limited in number of strikes-two or three. Zhao Yun, Lu Meng, etc. These days, they've only got unique, absurdly slow(both in swing and recovery) single strikes.

One of my favorite things was, I think, a gameshark cheat code: give mooks the moveset of officers. Sun Ce stuck out because there were so many spinning jump kicks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So DW9E confirmed bad?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Bloodly posted:

I really do miss when the basic soldiers had more variety and life. If they do another game that might be my single biggest ask.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Chachi posted:

I really do miss when the basic soldiers had more variety and life. If they do another game that might be my single biggest ask.
Back when a mook could (and would) interrupt your combo, perhaps even with a fast charge attack depending on their rank -- DW3 Lieutentants and Guard Captains (aka those regular nameless dudes with a full set of armour) were really fond of this poo poo, especially the charge attack which would lead into a stun. Now every mook is a peasant or private, and they just slowly wind up a weak swing and miss. A lot. Spearmen in particular are literally useless in DW8; you can just stand there and they'll hit maybe 1/10 attempts.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

So DW9E confirmed bad?

Yeah, pretty much.

The only battles are around the cities, trying to break their doors down and kill whoever owns the city. Once you get the doors down, the enemy commander is exposed, and while there are bases inside the city they're mostly useless.
-You can't command your officers to do specific things unless you're right next to them.
-You might see a river once or twice, but during these battles terrain is near nonexistent.

You can start out as an unaffiliated officer, but there is absolutely nothing to do until you either seize a territory or join a faction. No quests, no interactivity with anyone outside free officers.

Commentary in the thread when DW9E was announced seemed to think they were getting rid of the open world. Nope, it's still right there. Instead of doing things in a month you can go chat with other officers or roam around the open world! Are you sitting in Cheng Du but have a weird obsession with a tiny fort just outside of Luo Yang? Yes, the game will let you visit it whenever the gently caress you want. They did, however, take out everything but the open world. Can you do anything with that tiny fort outside Luo Yang? Of course not, why would you think that? They still have every little bit of the open world but there's absolutely nothing to do with it.

Oh and there's like 5 CaW costumes. Where'd the rest of them go? They've already announced DLC for a bunch of costumes that were in base 8E.

There's only two positives I'll grant the game
-There are more random events than, say, 8E.
-The AI governing bases are, strangely, at least slightly better than 'braindead'. Enemy bases can send squads of normal soldiers that can take bases if you're really not paying attention.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NameHurtBrain posted:

God drat DW3 ruled so hard

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still baffled that Tecmo Koei hit the perfect formula for Empires with Samurai Warriors 3's and then pretty much never came back to it ever again, except for a brief jaunt with a Nobunaga's Ambition PUK. Just work with SW3E as your base! It's great!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Man, an open world empires game could be cool as hell. Thinking about a persistent massive map operating in real-time doing DW:E kind of stuff has so much potential. It's a shame it's built around such an awful game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know why I searched for this but I thought it was very funny.

ha ha piss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did 9 Empires somehow make combat worse than 9?? I just tried the demo and I don't remember it feeling quite that awful to play.

Also am I missing something or does the constant stream of officers homing in on you make it virtually impossible to take over a base in a reasonable amount of time?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes got announced at the beginning of the Direct today. I remember people saying the first FEW was mostly good but had some issues, hopefully the sequel fixes them? I might get this one.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hopefully it being focused to one game means they can focus on individual movesets rather than clone movesets for weapons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hopefully they don't try and replicate the same map design as they did for the first, that was worse than the clone stuff imho

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FW:W had a few problems. Clones, very square maps, being a celebration of a decade long franchise but only picking like 4 games...

Having a much more focused experience should help each of those. The core of it was always really, really good, and it introduced a number of the improvements that made HW:2 play better (such as introducing meter pop combos) so I have high hopes. Also, axe users were universally fun as gently caress with Lissa being the best character in the whole game. Gonna be fun to see what they do with such a famous and beloved axe user as Edelgard.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am selfishly looking forward to the new FEW game because 3h is the only FE game I've actually played, and it would be nice to play a musou where I know who all the characters are

I never finished the first one, the issues with it combined with the fact that i had zero context for any of the characters besides marth (who if i'm being completely honest, i mostly think of as a smash brothers character) made me kinda lose steam. Hope the next try is better, I really wanted to like the first one!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I never played 3H so I'm excited to once again play a musou sequel to a game I know nothing about, much like I did with P5 Strikers.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Not a sequel, looks like it's gonna be an Elseworlds take on the characters and setting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FEW1 was awful so I hope this new one learned from those mistakes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hell yeah more FE:W :woop:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FEW1 was awful so I hope this new one learned from those mistakes.

I liked it but I also played it on the 3DS. Not sure if I would've enjoyed it scaled onto a full console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I liked it but I also played it on the 3DS. Not sure if I would've enjoyed it scaled onto a full console.

Good thing it was on the Switch then :v: