Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I unironically hope they bring the gotcha back because it’s makes weirdos mad for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I unironically hope they bring the gotcha back because it’s makes weirdos mad for some reason

let me summon Ziggy in this installment

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2022/an-introduction-to-xenoblade-chronicles-3-from-executive-director-tetsuya-takahashi/

Saicom's the character artist again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Riki is way cooler than Tora, so 1 is better than 2. I gauge quality based on which Nopons I like the most.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Everyone arguing over 1 and 2 are missing the important thing: The trailer mentions the two sides should be fighting the "real enemy" and I think it's clear that's going to turn out to be NLA the Samaar Federation, with XCX's hosed up Conduit-less timeline being merged into the XC 1&2 fold unexpectedly and the Samaar trying to get their hands on it.

Nyoro posted:

On the contrary, don't Flesh Eater Blades age normally?

They definitely lose immortality.

In the trailer, Nia looks a bit older to me but maybe it's just confirmation bias

They definitely don't lose (agelessness) immortality. This was pretty clear in XC2 with Jin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone arguing over 1 and 2 are missing the important thing: The trailer mentions the two sides should be fighting the "real enemy" and I think it's clear that's going to turn out to be NLA the Samaar Federation, with XCX's hosed up Conduit-less timeline being merged into the XC 1&2 fold unexpectedly and the Samaar trying to get their hands on it.

Can't be. With no XBX rerelease, people would lack context. Unless they do a surprise rerelease in the summer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

And a lot more restrained for some reason

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We don’t even know how much time has passed since Future Connected, so considering lifespans may not even be relevant.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheKingofSprings posted:

And a lot more restrained for some reason

I would say maybe he was told to be extra waifu baity with 2

But, well, I've seen the rest of his credits list.

Maybe he was told to cut BACK for 3 instead

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Augus posted:

oh no I'll need to finish 2 to understand the story fuuuuuuuck

Same friend. 2 has been sitting in my backlog, but no more.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nyoro posted:

On the contrary, don't Flesh Eater Blades age normally?

They definitely lose immortality.

In the trailer, Nia looks a bit older to me but maybe it's just confirmation bias
not exactly.
Minoth was an example of one where the process was botched, and he's still alive 500 years later. Jin became one around the same time, but he did it right, and he looks basically identical. They still live for a long, long rear end time, but they only get that one life. A regular blade lives for hundreds to thousands of years before maturing into a titan, but they effectively live several dozen different lives. ...Basically, they age, but only as much as the plot needs them to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

1 is literally the most anime plot with 3 big tit girls two of which are robots

Both of them are very anime, but 2 is notably worse with the protagonist and love interests (who are basically just significantly more stereotypical than the ones in 1 - who are also stereotypes, just less so). Like Fiora is "a nice girl," but Homura is "a cloyingly nice girl with comically large boobs and a ridiculous skintight outfit." And Hikari is about as close as you get to "a generic tsundere." Nia (I don't think there's anything really constituting a spoiler here, but just being careful) is pretty good, which just makes it worse that she's obviously doomed to "lose" from the very beginning. And Rex and Nia at least look and act like people of roughly the same age, while Homura/Hikari look and act much older then Rex (to the extent that it just feels really loving weird to have them as love interests for this guy who looks and acts like he's 14 years old). Rex himself is alright, but the story doesn't do much with his few distinct characteristics (which basically amount to "he's street-smart and has been working an actual job that he's competent at"). Same kind of applies to Shulk, who has a pretty unique personality at the beginning of X1 but quickly becomes more-or-less a typical JRPG protagonist.

I actually enjoyed playing 2 more than 1, though, even though I preferred the characters in 1. The actual moment-to-moment questing element of the gameplay felt much better - fewer dull parts (with more frequent story beats) and far fewer meaningless busy quests.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't mind the random element at all, but it needs some way to reasonably fill out your roster in the end-game. Adding some grind is alright, but the way it was in X2 was ridiculous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

Two was chock full of guest artists for the blades, many of them hentai artists.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hoooooly poo poo I'm excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 gently caress yesssss

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mokinokaro posted:

Two was chock full of guest artists for the blades, many of them hentai artists.

Yes, but he still made Pyra and Mythra

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Buddy I've got news for you about artists.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

XC2 is an amazing game and I loved it, but I am willing to criticize it for its obvious flaws.

Here’s a long thread about XC3:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1491569335839731713?s=21

Also more info directly from Takahashi:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1491570634689757188?s=21

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The can hire the entire artist list of the hentai hall of fame as long as xenoblade chronicles 3 doesn't have 2's yucky genocide apologia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m willing to critique XB2 for its flaws. The gotcha doesn’t really qualify. It was perfectly fine

If anything I think XB2 has the same problem 1 has, where it doesn’t explain its mechanics very well and I’d you don’t understand it’s combat it’s a miserable experience

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Supremezero posted:

The artbook said they had Pyra and Mythra's costumes designed first and told the artist to make a character using said outfits. So those weren't all on him.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Takahashi's comments should definitely fuel the XBCX connection even more

He says that the concept for XBC3 began after 1 and before the start of 2, which is a really roundabout way of saying "during the development of XBCX"

Plus, I mean, the protag's name is Noah. There's no way he's not building an ark by the end of the game, and if it happens to be The White Whale then so be it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure why they are open about it bridging 1 and 2 so I doubt they are hiding X which is the less popular of the three

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

XBC2 is great and has higher highs and lower lows then 1.

The combat doesn't explain itself for poo poo but if it actually clicks for you it blows 1 out of the water. The cast is excellent across the board besides Rex who does kinda suck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I still haven't managed to get into XC1--I keep trying and I own the Switch version but I keep getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of side quests it immediately throws at you that seem important to do--but I loved the combat in XC2. It does take a good while to get going but once it does it's extremely satisfying.

I really should give XC1 another try sometime.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m willing to critique XB2 for its flaws. The gotcha doesn’t really qualify. It was perfectly fine

If anything I think XB2 has the same problem 1 has, where it doesn’t explain its mechanics very well and I’d you don’t understand it’s combat it’s a miserable experience

The gacha sucked if you wanted to get all the Blades, which you’d have to be a sicko to do. It’s me, I’m a sicko. I never did NG+ though so I never got those Blades. It’s a lot of content locked behind really low odds! Would have been better if there had been more ways you could guarantee getting specific blades but like also let you get them randomly. Also making Overdrive Protocols rare was stupid, but they’re a lot easier to get in NG+.

XC2 needed to let you go back and read the tutorials again, that’s for sure. Did they patch that in? I can’t remember. The first game let you reread them, at least in the Definitive Edition. Anyway they’re all good for different reason, 3 is gonna be good too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Monosoft's character models continue to improve. World design looks good as per usual. Looks like you have four party members at a time, so I'm guessing characters will be a lot less specialized than they were in 1.

Also I hope there's fashion gear.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Monosoft's character models continue to improve. World design looks good as per usual. Looks like you have four party members at a time, so I'm guessing characters will be a lot less specialized than they were in 1.

Also I hope there's fashion gear.
If there’s four characters in your party then that nixes blades, right? I can’t imagine the switch handling eight party members + enemies.

While I don’t think xc2’s combat was THAT bad, I’m guessing they’re gonna scale it back or just take the better parts and add them to XC1’s combat. XC2’s chain attacks or something, and add some kind of elemental damage to XC1 combat for orbs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No keep XC1s combat as far away from 3 as possible

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CharlestheHammer posted:

No keep XC1s combat as far away from 3 as possible

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Staffgun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Augus posted:

oh no I'll need to finish 2 to understand the story fuuuuuuuck

gently caress I never finished Torna...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The character designs seem much better than XC2, thankfully.

I loved XC2, even the gacha, but boy did the characters dress like morons.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

If there’s four characters in your party then that nixes blades, right? I can’t imagine the switch handling eight party members + enemies.

A couple of the main characters appear to have core crystals, so conceptually they're there, and I feel like from a gameplay perspective if they are there they won't be like they were in 2 where they just stand two feet behind their Driver at all times.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

quote:

The key visual features a broken great sword of Mechonis and the body of the Urayan Titan with a gaping wound. I imagine everyone who saw the trailer was quite surprised by the final scene. What is this visual hinting at? I can’t reveal that just yet. What I can tell you is that this visual was conceived quite some time ago. More precisely speaking, we came up with it sometime between the end of development of Xenoblade Chronicles and the beginning of development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. So, it’s not something we recently added to the series.

this tidbit about how they've been planning this out for years makes me so giddy

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Y’all mean, I liked XC1’s combat just fine :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i liked the combat of all the xeno games except for xs2, which was tedious even when you knew what you were doing

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Skell combat in X is still the worst Xenoblade combat.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I only really enjoyed XBC2's combat after having full food buffs where the combat isn't as slow as molasses

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I never used food really I just sick the Rex auto attack trick were you animation cancel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda weird the game is advertising "it connects the 2 worlds of the previous games together" or whatever. I liked that each title had largely unique (if still connected) settings. I don't think a big thing needs to be made of how it fits together.