Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
I also have had success with the mentioned brands, with the notable exception of wemo; I have gotten rid of all of my wemo smart plugs. And this is with 5 (!) different APs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I feel like I'm SO close to putting the puzzle pieces together to get my HA to work the way that I want to with some future switches that I need to install. I have several of these Hunter Simpleconnect fan/lights in my home that are wired back to a toggle switch that simply sends or kills power to the fan. I posted in here a few weeks back about getting a switch that only sends commands to HA to control the lights, fan, speed, dim, etc. and got some great suggestions.

Question for today is: I have the fans all showing up in HA properly and can create buttons that toggle the lights and fan, as well as be able to control the speed when I interact more with the button. However, when I got to program a hardware switch, I'm going to want a push of a certain button on it to do 'speed down' or 'speed up' or 'off/on'. The latter I can sort out, but can't see how to get to the former two. Any hints on where I should look?

I'm looking to identify the control mechanism in the webGUI and then will get the appropriate hardware and map the buttons on the hardware to that command, if any of this makes sense.

Appreciate any help in advance!

I think the HA way to do this would be to define a script for increment and decrement fan speed, and then wire up an automation so that when the hardware button gets triggered the appropriate script gets executed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I feel like I'm SO close to putting the puzzle pieces together to get my HA to work the way that I want to with some future switches that I need to install. I have several of these Hunter Simpleconnect fan/lights in my home that are wired back to a toggle switch that simply sends or kills power to the fan. I posted in here a few weeks back about getting a switch that only sends commands to HA to control the lights, fan, speed, dim, etc. and got some great suggestions.

Question for today is: I have the fans all showing up in HA properly and can create buttons that toggle the lights and fan, as well as be able to control the speed when I interact more with the button. However, when I got to program a hardware switch, I'm going to want a push of a certain button on it to do 'speed down' or 'speed up' or 'off/on'. The latter I can sort out, but can't see how to get to the former two. Any hints on where I should look?

I'm looking to identify the control mechanism in the webGUI and then will get the appropriate hardware and map the buttons on the hardware to that command, if any of this makes sense.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Take a look at https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/fan/ - the automations under increase/decrease fan speed are pretty much what you want.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Re: Wemochat, I just got two minis because they fit inside a child-proof enclosure really well. I set them up in the app, but I can't see them on my Wifi or LAN (Unifi) like I can other devices.

What gives? If these things suck poo poo, what form factor plug can I look at instead?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Kalman posted:

Take a look at https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/fan/ - the automations under increase/decrease fan speed are pretty much what you want.

This is a better suggestion than mine, didn’t realise that the fan integration already had all the actions defined. The examples on there look exactly what you’re looking for.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
lmao, Ubiquiti's recommended alternative when you check the availability of the $30 G3 Instant

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hey Motronic (or anyone), I see you have Kindle Fire tablets as displays/touchscreens - are you happy with them? Do you need to sign in to an Amazon account to use them locally for HA purposes?

Otherwise I'm assuming you just need a generic Android tablet that can run the Fully Kiosk app? Like this one

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/857753/lenovo-tab-m10-2gb-32gb-wifi-white.html

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I use an old Kindle Fire running Fully Kiosk Browser, I 3D printed a wall mount for it and leave it permanently powered. It works ok, it can be a bit slow to respond but it is an old low powered model.

Not sure if you have to sign in, I have because then it also acts as an Alexa receiver.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Hey Motronic (or anyone), I see you have Kindle Fire tablets as displays/touchscreens - are you happy with them? Do you need to sign in to an Amazon account to use them locally for HA purposes?

Otherwise I'm assuming you just need a generic Android tablet that can run the Fully Kiosk app? Like this one

Yeah, I'm happy enough with mine. I signed into an amazon account with them back in the day when I first set them up just to get through the setup parts but I'm not sure if it's required.

I didn't choose them for any reason other than "refurbs on sale for $29" (I think I picked them all up 3/4 years ago on a black friday/cyber monday sale). So yeah, if you can run fully kiosk I'd call that good enough.

What is super annoying are the sheer number of ads/notifications/reboots from updates that happen (fully can't unlock the screen so every time it reboots you have to do that manually). They also slow down over time with all of that crap going on and you need to reboot them. All of that went away once I put them on my IOT Jail VLAN that doesn't have any internet access.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks both. Looks like you can't actually buy Fires in this country (wtf) so I'll have a play with that Lenovo one. I know nothing about Android but I'll figure it out.

Yeah my HA NUC is on my NoT VLAN which can't see the internet (except right now it's wide open while I figure out how to do specific firewall rules). The tablet's going straight on that same VLAN/SSID.

On which subject, my Paranoid Network of Things is coming along nicely. I'm loving the Xiaomi bits, they worked instantly on Zigbee2MQTT, and they're so cheap. I've found a Wifi doohickey I can plug into my electric/gas meter to share that back to HA in real time. Looking at OpenTherm gateway to splice into my thermostat-to-heating connection, to get the current value and set point control. Total rabbit hole!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A few people in the thread seem to have Honeywell Lyric, how do you like them? I have HomeAssistant and plenty of Zwave/Zigbee devices already. If I want window/door sensors and am on the fence about a keypad, does anyone know whether it's possible to integrate them all into HomeAssistant? Is it desirable?

movax posted:

Got my Honeywell Lyric via AlarmGrid mostly integrated -- it's annoying that I have to keep e-mailing them and waiting a few days for them to remotely do stuff though. Haven't quite got HomeKit working yet -- their second attempt to push the config worked, but then the adoption process failed halfway through (thanks Home app) and it didn't appear anymore... it will be a wonder when it finally gets plugged in.

Have mostly 5800-series sensors I've been adding to it (figured 345 MHz was less crowded), but belatedly realized that the Lyric doesn't expose all zones to HomeKit, just those in a few select ones. I have added some sensors to door/windows that I don't care about securing, I just want to see if they are open or closed or not and $12 for a sensor to do that isn't awful. Got the 5800C2W module working as well to integrate a few wired sensors from my house -- not bad for a little $80 box though in retrospect, I had so few sensors that I might have been better off just buying a few of the 5800 wireless sensors that had a connector for hardwired contacts. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about a battery.

Still (not) surprised that in 2021 security systems are still pretty terrible. With the advent of low-cost, high-battery life sensors, it shouldn't really be hard to get everything behaving but goddamn if the industry doesn't accept the challenge to still make it brittle.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Updating my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 stick was a pain in the rear end, because the necessary TI flashing tools are behind sign-ups and what not, plus I had to remove the case.

I needed to flash the latest available firmware, because the CC2652P had issues with Touchlink (with the Z-Stack it shipped with), which I need to work, if I want to bind my Hue bulbs directly.

After all the drama, turns out my bulbs (or rather the firmware, because they're v1) are too old for it to work. They're a few years old (--edit: from 2014), after all. :saddowns:

--edit:
Oh heh, it worked. Needed to hold them within 10cm of the stick for this to work. Finally I can ditch that Hue bridge.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 6, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hed posted:

A few people in the thread seem to have Honeywell Lyric, how do you like them? I have HomeAssistant and plenty of Zwave/Zigbee devices already. If I want window/door sensors and am on the fence about a keypad, does anyone know whether it's possible to integrate them all into HomeAssistant? Is it desirable?

Honestly, it’s been better than I expected — the HomeKit automations are actually pretty painless. I haven’t finished setting it up yet (Go/No-Go test, confirming perimeter / zone types / etc), but the basic setup I have right now works great for automations — I went nuts with 5800-series wireless contact sensors everywhere (including places it makes no sense, like upper floor balconies), but they let me do simple automations like clicking on balcony lights after dark when I let the dog out to pee or poop.

The 5800C2W module worked well for ingesting the houses existing wiring for a few doors — they just show up as regular zones in the Lyric system, are supervised — pretty clean. It’s 3 stories below the Lyric in my garage.

I do have two of the LKP-500 keypads — how would those integrate, out of curiosity? I also have no Z-Wave / Zigbee devices — everything is Ethernet, Wi-Fi, proprietary (Lutron, Honeywell) or BTLE (Eve).

My long-term plan (because I over-engineer everything) is to get my Proxmox up and running and do a LXC (I think…) container to run HomeBridge / Home Assistant in. Of course I got caught up in over-building the Proxmox box, so that hasn’t happened yet in the 2 years since I’ve moved in…

The one thing I will note is that I ended up moving the Lyric to main Wi-Fi network because I could not get it to play nice on a different VLAN / network. I figured if its the security system… might as well put it on there. Not to be the thread’s Lutron shill, but seriously, that is the *ONLY* HomeKit product I own that works 100% of the time and doesn’t care about being on a different network than everything else.

Has anyone tried using two Apple TV’s on the different networks to act as the hub? I’m wondering if I put the one in my Office on the IoT network, and then leave the other one on the main network, and power them up in the right order, if that’ll solve some issues on the back end. My mDNS traffic looks appropriate, but every few months some of the other devices just go tits up and it makes no goddamned sense.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 6, 2022

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How do you goons handle baby/infant presence detection? I have a 9 month old, and I wanted to figure out a way I can detect when his stroller/car seat are home vs away (Day care, grandmom's etc)

I have a bunch of ESP32 boards I'm saving for a project, but not sure of the best way to do this somewhat reliably.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

How do you goons handle baby/infant presence detection?

Usually by the crying.

If you’re in the apple ecosystem, you can get an AirTag and attach it to their car seat or whatever. Seems like the simplest way.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Usually by the crying.

New thread title IMO

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jokes on y'all, I got a very well tempered baby!

I'm using home assistant and Android (wife is apple but she's a tech luddite) so it doesn't look like air tags are an option, although I do love the profile and form factor. Going to check out tile or maybe a gps tracker from my wireless provider

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Gyshall posted:

I'm using home assistant and Android (wife is apple but she's a tech luddite) so it doesn't look like air tags are an option, although I do love the profile and form factor. Going to check out tile or maybe a gps tracker from my wireless provider

I know some people have used BLE tags to do something like this but if you're looking for simplicity then Tile is probably your best bet for now.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
efb :mad:

Gyshall posted:

Joke's on you, that'll change the second you get used to it!

Gyshall posted:

Try looking in to Tile? I dunno if it's really a thing anymore. We have one sitting around that my wife won in a work raffle a few years ago that we never used... looks like HA has an integration for it. (edit: derp, you literally said tile in your post)

Also there's probably dog/pet trackers you could repurpose. Not sure if there's any local-only or if they're all going to be expensive GPS/cell based deals.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Since isolating my Hue bridge on a non-internet VLAN, I have a feeling it doesn't know what time it is anymore. Is there a way of feeding it time service information from a local server, or do I need to poke a hole in my firewall for it (and if so, what kind of hole)?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Since isolating my Hue bridge on a non-internet VLAN, I have a feeling it doesn't know what time it is anymore. Is there a way of feeding it time service information from a local server, or do I need to poke a hole in my firewall for it (and if so, what kind of hole)?

I think the Hue uses google ntp servers, for some reason, so open up for time1.google.com and time2.google.com?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Does anyone in here use wyzehacks (https://github.com/HclX/WyzeHacks) with their wyzecams? Does it still work on the newest firmware?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is Chamberlain still a recommended smart garage door opener?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone touched these Costco wifi dimmer switches?

At $40 CAD for 3, that's waaaay cheaper than the competition if they play nicely with home assistant

The plan would be to ideally do my while place and this would make that very affordable

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Slash posted:

I think the HA way to do this would be to define a script for increment and decrement fan speed, and then wire up an automation so that when the hardware button gets triggered the appropriate script gets executed.

Kalman posted:

Good grief I completely lost track of this thread and these responses. Thank you so much, gonna dig into it. Looks great.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone touched these Costco wifi dimmer switches?

At $40 CAD for 3, that's waaaay cheaper than the competition if they play nicely with home assistant

The plan would be to ideally do my while place and this would make that very affordable

I haven't, but I can say when I bought a Zooz dinner, they specifically suggested not to use it with Feit bulbs due to issues. Feit was the only brand mentioned this way

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any suggestions on a discrete poe camera? Maybe something fisheye? There's a spot at the front of my house next to the garage door where UPS/Amazon/etc leave packages that I'd like to cover, and with motion detection it would capture people walking to/from the front door, but I specifically don't want something that captures the front street/sidewalk/neighbor's houses. So I figured basically a downward-facing fisheye with like a 45 degree angle could work, if I could like hide it up inside the soffit above that spot or something. I have some reolinks for the back yard & rear door of the garage but they're pretty darn conspicuous.

Unless somebody has recommendations I might try something like https://www.amazon.com/Revotech-Fisheye-Camera-Security-I706-3-POE/dp/B09M6P31W1 and will trip report. Though even the 'fisheye' versions of it don't appear to be very wide angle.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fisheye sucks even if you have the proper software/drivers imo. When this one dies I’m replacing it with a small tamper-proof 4k dome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

text editor posted:

I haven't, but I can say when I bought a Zooz dinner, they specifically suggested not to use it with Feit bulbs due to issues. Feit was the only brand mentioned this way

I have some Feit bulbs and they suck. Have to constantly reconnect them and you have to either use the horrible Feit app or smart life (also horrible). Maybe the dimmers are better but I’m not impressed.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I have some Feit bulbs and they suck. Have to constantly reconnect them and you have to either use the horrible Feit app or smart life (also horrible). Maybe the dimmers are better but I’m not impressed.

If they use the Smart Life app then they’re probably based on the Tuya chipset, so you may be able to flash them with custom firmware such as tasmota. Might be worth looking into.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

There's also a localtuya addon for Home Assistant so you can avoid having to use the cloud/app

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone is in the market for good RGB bulbs.. I have been very impressed with Philips WiZ bulbs. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot.

You do have to install the integration via HACS currently in Home Assistant. (https://github.com/sbidy/wiz_light) But the integration is very complete, it supports everything the Wiz app does, and it uses the bulb's local UDP control interface instead of cloud. WiZ even sent the developer of the HA integration a ton of bulbs for testing.

The integration was just recently merged into the Dev version of HA and will be natively included in the next major HA release, so the HACS version will no longer be updated.

I have a few of these bulbs now. And they just work, and work well. Can't say the same for any of the terrible Tuya based bulbs I've tried.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

BigFactory posted:

Before I switched to Hue bulbs my entire house was Feit. I flashed the firmware with Tasmota and they had been completely and totally reliable. You should 100% try to do this. I do not remember any of my ~30+ bulbs ever disconnecting.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I have a few wall switches I want to play with, but I don't want to keep switching off breakers to get them set up. Would it be at all safe to take a computer power cord and strip the end, and use that to power them on my work bench? It would be nice to be able to plug/unplug them easily.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TeMpLaR posted:

Before I switched to Hue bulbs my entire house was Feit. I flashed the firmware with Tasmota and they had been completely and totally reliable. You should 100% try to do this. I do not remember any of my ~30+ bulbs ever disconnecting.

Is there a guide for how to do that?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

BigFactory posted:

Is there a guide for how to do that?

This is a good start to doing it. Then you’ll need to setup mqtt on home assistant to control them.

https://blog.fosketts.net/2020/05/29/liberate-wi-fi-smart-bulbs-and-switches-with-tasmota/

If I were doing this again now I would most likely flash to tasmota and then to esphome and use that instead of mqtt. I like how easy to use esphome is and the syntax is very nice to change settings and add new options.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TeMpLaR posted:

This is a good start to doing it. Then you’ll need to setup mqtt on home assistant to control them.

https://blog.fosketts.net/2020/05/29/liberate-wi-fi-smart-bulbs-and-switches-with-tasmota/

If I were doing this again now I would most likely flash to tasmota and then to esphome and use that instead of mqtt. I like how easy to use esphome is and the syntax is very nice to change settings and add new options.

That’s a lot to absorb.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is Chamberlain still a recommended smart garage door opener?

Sure. Most of your "other" options are Chamberlain-owned brands anyway.

Or if your current opener's got some life left in it, Chamberlain's aftermarket myQ Smart Garage Hub regularly goes for $10–20 on US Amazon and will smart-ify most existing openers (of nearly any brand or age). You stick a door sensor to your door, have your opener learn the Garage Hub signal, and you're in business.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 17, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Or if your current opener's got some life left in it, Chamberlain's aftermarket myQ Smart Garage Hub regularly goes for $10–20 on US Amazon and will smart-ify most existing openers (of nearly any brand or age). You stick a door sensor to your door, have your opener learn the Garage Hub signal, and you're in business.

You’re about $580 too late, haha.

On my 1-car door, there was no opener. Decided I wanted to put one in so I don’t have to worry about hitting my kids bikes anymore.

I’ve got a 2-car door but it’s an old as poo poo Wayne Dalton Quantum from the 90s that wasn’t compatible with the myQ hub. If I’m putting in one smart opener, I may as well replace this dinosaur.

Bought two 4613T’s and have spent the past couple days installing it in my 1-car side that didn’t have any mounting framing or anything; just a door. Almost done with it! Of course there’s a ton of weird poo poo like the door roller frame is slightly too large for the sensor brackets and stuff. Lots of on-the-fly workarounds but almost have my first complete install done.

Then will work on replacing the existing opener on my other side.

Also purchased the $30 hub not on sale so I have HomeKit/Siri functionality.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

Does the hub/sensor work okay? Ive almost bought it a few times but the reviews are awful on the setup process and overall usability. Ive got three separate doors with dumb openers (not myq compatible) and id like to get alerts and homekit capableness for cheap.