Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Man the “corrected” art looks so much worse. What a bad call by Marvel editorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I appreciate that Marvel has guidelines about trying not to dehumanize minorities, especially in Electra which has a long history of killing faceless and demonic Asians without much on the "good representation" side.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I gotta say, the correction looks better. Soulless sliteyes isn't really what I want to see when I read a comic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Joe Fisto posted:

Man I like Joelle's art and she was super nice when I met her at a con years ago when she was promoting Hellheim with Cullen Bunn.

I also like James Robinson's art.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I gotta say, the correction looks better. Soulless sliteyes isn't really what I want to see when I read a comic.

It looks more like she's got spooky glowing eyes in the "correction". The hacked cover-up they did of a "nude" monster was also laughable in execution.

Marvel did a bad job here.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 10, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even if you think the corrected art is better, to take this artist at his word Marvel still went about it in a lovely way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jedit posted:

I also like James Robinson's art.
I have so many questions about who you are confusing with who in this joke.

James Robinson and Gary Frank?
James Robinson and Jimmie Robinson?
Joelle Jones and Jann Jones?

I assume the first, but am still not sure.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I'm not trying to justify tracing or whatever, thats bullshit. Just disappointed that someone's art l liked turns out to be at least partially stolen. I wonder if it was happening way back when, the first book I saw of hers. Damnit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The original art has so much more warmth and life in it, I don’t get this at all!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Reducing areas down to pure lineart is extremely common and especially on the eyes, the original looks way more natural.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Neither looks great tbh

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/Lafuente_RIP/status/1490809977694564357?s=20&t=YL44yLz2Fmi9KdFs81g5sg

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Not what’s going on in the original art at all. In fact it has so much more warmth and character than the hastily redrawn version.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The "corrected" version draws in anatomy that isn't there and just looks wrong imo, disney's concerns about racist caricatures aside

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One huge issue: irises are not that small.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah, the original art is clearly not intending to convey that the dark iris is the entirety of the eye. The white of the eye *is* there, Greg simply made the deliberate choice not to explicitly draw the boundary of the lower eyelid and trusted in the viewer to composite the entire image. It works well. The redraw just has an unsettling, uncanny-valley effect.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Someone should glue googley eyes on a printout like with those X-Men comics.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah, the original art is clearly not intending to convey that the dark iris is the entirety of the eye. The white of the eye *is* there, Greg simply made the deliberate choice not to explicitly draw the boundary of the lower eyelid and trusted in the viewer to composite the entire image. It works well. The redraw just has an unsettling, uncanny-valley effect.

And you can see where the lower eyelid ends because of the shading! It’s a great piece of art and it’s a shame that Marvel changed it

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The other major issue is that the ones on the left looks like they drew on photo reference--in a good way--while the ones on the right look like they were hastily tweaked about five minutes before the art went to the printers.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Well, here's something cool. A while back I bought this piece of original art from Juan Ferreyra. I've been a fan of his since Colder was released back in 2012. I bought the issue of Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red that he illustrated and I loved it. Saw that he was selling the art and I had to get a page, the price seemed reasonable for what it was.

I liked his interpretation of Ivy and Joker, and I got some good shots of them on this page.

Anyway, here it is.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
From Iron Man #114, at by Keith Giffen.

I’ve tried for 10 minutes and I can’t wrap my head around how Cap’s head is attached to his body. He’s either part snake or he’s going straight to the chiropractor after this adventure.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
He's also resting his huge fist on SW's boob.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's just how the Avengers do the bro fist.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
whats wrong with her faaaaaaaaaaace

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Joe Fisto posted:

Well, here's something cool. A while back I bought this piece of original art from Juan Ferreyra. I've been a fan of his since Colder was released back in 2012. I bought the issue of Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red that he illustrated and I loved it. Saw that he was selling the art and I had to get a page, the price seemed reasonable for what it was.

I liked his interpretation of Ivy and Joker, and I got some good shots of them on this page.

Anyway, here it is.

This guy drawing Poison Ivy: “it’s important that everyone see that she’s not wearing a bra”

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GPTribefan posted:

From Iron Man #114, at by Keith Giffen.

I’ve tried for 10 minutes and I can’t wrap my head around how Cap’s head is attached to his body. He’s either part snake or he’s going straight to the chiropractor after this adventure.

Super-soldier serum is a hell of a drug

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

thetoughestbean posted:

This guy drawing Poison Ivy: “it’s important that everyone see that she’s not wearing a bra”

Man knows his audience

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Flesh Forge posted:

whats wrong with her faaaaaaaaaaace

She looks stoned AF in that panel, or like someone who was the product of brother and sister fuckery.

Or it could be because it seems Cap is punching her directly in the left tit

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Result of a series of individual character illustrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Eddie is wearing a wrestling singlet.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Hes lettin it swang actually

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I love hypebeast Spider-Pig.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Cindy looks really great there. Unlike the other ones, which honestly look a bit stupid, this is an unironically great outfit. But maybe, it's just because she's the only one without a dopey mask there. Her mouth mask is way cooler anyway.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Miles finally tied his shoelaces.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Has the artist never seen anybody eat before?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Spider-people don't eat, they simply suck the nutrients out of their food and then spit it back out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
If you're going to produce a comic with essentially no dialogue it helps to have good art, and the team on Step by Bloody Step is off to a nice start (from #1).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

(that's supposed to be Peter Parker in the bottom-left panel)
Spider-Man Unlimited #10 (1995)

Pencils: Shawn McManus and Roy Burdine (flashback pencils)
Inks: John Nyberg and Shawn McManus

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darthemed posted:

This is god awful and a perfect example of how really lovely digital coloring makes bad line work even worse. You'd think that photoshop and pen tablets would make coloring better since there's so much more precision and it's much easier to correct mistakes but so much of everything is just a gradient fill with the hottest and juiciest swatches on the color palette. Look how much of it is just the round, soft airbrush tool or a linear blend.

And, Christ, it doesn't even look like the artist did the pencils/inks at larger scale.

God, the more I look at it, the more upset it makes me that someone got paid for that and I struggle to find illustration work.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If you're going to produce a comic with essentially no dialogue it helps to have good art, and the team on Step by Bloody Step is off to a nice start (from #1).

This is great. Has a little bit of a P. Craig Russell feeling to it, whom I love.,

And unlike those spiderman pages, uses really tasteful, elegant line work with a very nice, less saturated color palette that evokes a mood and even a sense of temperature. Like, you can smell and feel that forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Pencils: Shawn McManus and Roy Burdine (flashback pencils)
Inks: John Nyberg and Shawn McManus

Ah, the mid to late 90s. The perfect storm of people still trying to figure out digital coloring while artists tried to draw like the Image guys.