Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

selec posted:

No, my plan is for universal payments and higher tax rates at the high end. I guess you could beanplate that out to means testing but honestly it doesn’t seem meaningful to me.

in fairness your original post was extremely weirdly phrased, but who among us

Strictly speaking we don't really need higher tax rates at the higher end FOR THIS SPECIFIC PURPOSE; the two actual purposes of higher tax rates (in a mega-economy like the US) are to deflate the currency, and to make rich people have less money. The first one is useful sometimes, and the second is useful always. I just get grumpy when people talk about balancing the budget as an end in itself, it's missing the point and playing directly into capital's claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in fairness your original post was extremely weirdly phrased, but who among us

Strictly speaking we don't really need higher tax rates at the higher end FOR THIS SPECIFIC PURPOSE; the two actual purposes of higher tax rates (in a mega-economy like the US) are to deflate the currency, and to make rich people have less money. The first one is useful sometimes, and the second is useful always. I just get grumpy when people talk about balancing the budget as an end in itself, it's missing the point and playing directly into capital's claws.

lol my b. Yeah, flattening wealth inequality is a good in and of itself. Beat rich people with a moral stick if you have to: “Sounds like you don’t know the meaning of enough!” Call them money perverts, whatever it takes.

Also,

NO!!!

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/1491212896684023808?s=21

Dynasties suck

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

selec posted:

lol my b. Yeah, flattening wealth inequality is a good in and of itself. Beat rich people with a moral stick if you have to: “Sounds like you don’t know the meaning of enough!” Call them money perverts, whatever it takes.

Also,

NO!!!

Dynasties suck

QFT. Has there ever been a major, federal level political dynasty in the US that wasn't terrible?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Christine would be a hotshot young rookie at 55

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shooting Blanks posted:

QFT. Has there ever been a major, federal level political dynasty in the US that wasn't terrible?

Roosevelt, I guess?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ugh. I have a friend who is a DNC member and has done stuff with Christine Pelosi. Nothing I've seen or heard gives an indication she'd do anything but be more of the same.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Roosevelt, I guess?

I would say both Roosevelts were solid progressives, I'd much rather have a dynasty of Roosevelts than the Kennedys, anyway.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Well, John and John Quincy Adams are the only two of the first twelve US Presidents that weren't slaveowners, so there's that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SubG posted:

Well, John and John Quincy Adams are the only two of the first twelve US Presidents that weren't slaveowners, so there's that.

Fair enough, I didn't think pre-20th century.

christmas boots posted:

Roosevelt, I guess?

This was the only one I could come up with and I don't know much about them beyond Teddy and FDR.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1491520544566648837?s=20&t=V4Chs81VntEVlHBCXrcfLw

Shame that the administration buckled to fake right wing outrage

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dems always fold on that stuff, without fail

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Why would any Republican senator vote to ban day trading by members of Congress?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

Lets talk about reality instead of thought experiments, because that seems to be the critical leap you're unable to make here.

If you have a black family and a white family with equal incomes, the black family is statistically more likely to be the one caring for the disabled familiy member and likely has a fraction(anywhere from 1/5 to 1/10th) of the whtie families wealth.

If you give each family $1000, now both families again have the same income, but unequal challenges and unequal wealth.

This is of course simplified. The black family has vastly more challenges than what I've listed.

While you have addressed some of the money issue to a small amount, you've not addressed racial inequity. And you've not presented a path to doing so beyond hope.

Do you consider something like Social Security to be a program that is promoting inequity? Or further, do you consider it to be a program that is ultimately positive for the black community? Or does it harm the black community?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Why would any Republican senator vote to ban day trading by members of Congress?

Probably the same reason why a Republican house member would vote for it :shrug: Granted, I’m skeptical of it passing. If it does, it’ll probably be either not enforced or easily skirted around

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think the hope is some Republicans want to stick it to Democrat senators just enough to vote for this out of spite? Knowing full well they can simply bypass this through friends/family as there will be 0 enforcement of this on the GOP side.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not that long ago there were some rumblings about a likely GOP Senate passing this bill next year to make the Dems look bad, but I just doubt that when most of the worst offenders are Republicans

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There's no culture war to win by opposing it, and I'd imagine that it's probably a liability when you have dumb motherfuckers like Tuberville who can't stop doing crimes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Orange County Sheriff's Office released Bob Saget's autopsy results.

He died from head trauma. He fell, hit his head, went to sleep, and died in his sleep.

quote:

Bob Saget, who was found dead in his Orlando, Florida hotel room last month, died from the result of a head trauma, according to a statement from his family.
"The authorities have determined that Bob passed from head trauma. They have concluded that he accidentally hit the back of his head on something, thought nothing of it and went to sleep," the statement said. "No drugs or alcohol were involved."

quote:

The Orange County Sheriff's Office released a death investigation report, obtained by CNN, which stated they found no signs of foul play in the "orderly" hotel room.

Saget had been expected to check out of the Ritz-Carlton on Sunday morning and his family members contacted hotel security when they were unable to reach the star, according to the report.
"Now that we have the final conclusions from the authorities' investigation, we felt it only proper that the fans hear those conclusions directly from us," the family's statement added.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/entertainment/bob-saget-cause-of-death/index.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Orange County Sheriff's Office released Bob Saget's autopsy results.

He died from head trauma. He fell, hit his head, went to sleep, and died in his sleep.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/entertainment/bob-saget-cause-of-death/index.html

That was the same thing that almost killed Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica two years ago now. He was at a convention, fell and hit his head and suffered traumatic brain injury and is now paralyzed on the entire his left side of his body. It's kind of scary how this kind of stuff can take you right out. I think he also just tried to sleep it off instead of going to the hospital immediately and by the time he woke up the next day it was too late.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 10, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Then there's Heather McDonald cracking a joke about jesus loving her right before she planks it in front of an audience & suffers a skull fracture.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nine-gear crow posted:

That was the same thing that almost killed Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica two years ago now. He was at a convention, fell and hit his head and suffered traumatic brain injury and is now paralyzed on the entire his left side of his body. It's kind of scary how this kind of stuff can take you right out. I think he also just tried to sleep it off instead of going to the hospital immediately and by the time he woke up the next day it was too late.

Isn't this why they say you're supposed to keep concussed people awake after they hit their head?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

Isn't this why they say you're supposed to keep concussed people awake after they hit their head?

Apparently that's counterproductive and you shouldn't do it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It is the reason, but it's meant to be "Don't go to sleep without being checked out" after a head injury and that incorrectly transformed into warnings to stay awake

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

Fair enough, I didn't think pre-20th century.

This was the only one I could come up with and I don't know much about them beyond Teddy and FDR.

There have been a LOT of big-time oosevelts and they're kind of a mixed bag. Like there was Brigadier Gen.eral Theodore Roosevelt III who's a legitimate war hero and then there's Kermit Roosevelt Jr who orchestrated the Iranian coup. Politically they've been mostly progressive.

James Roosevelt Jr, who currently co-chairs the Rules Committee for the DNC, wrote a piece in The Nation this week hitting Biden for not renewing the child tax credit
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/child-tax-payments-biden/

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's also how we lost the legend Billy Mays.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GoutPatrol posted:

The main thing that people say that for is that it's much easier to notice mental acuity changes in perception or cognition when someone is awake than it is to monitor someone else who is asleep. Like, if you notice you start slurring or your vision goes blurry or you get one-sided weakness or the like, those are things you can react to immediately that wouldn't appear if you were sleeping. It's not that sleeping is bad for a concussion, it's just that most people parrot the advice without understanding it and it sounds weird.

Kinda like that thing where people laugh about hiding under a table during a bombing not realizing it's not to protect you from the bombs, but from loose objects falling on you from above.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

No.

That’s a holdover from when you needed to do hourly neuro checks.

This is also why every head injury in the er gets a one way ticket to the CT scanner.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

theCalamity posted:

The democrats refuse to help people because they are terrified of how the Republicans will react.

They'll stop this program, people will not get the help, and Republicans will just carry on with the attack, because they know nobody who supports them will hear this news.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meatball posted:

The democrats refuse to help people because they are terrified of how the Republicans will react.

They'll stop this program, people will not get the help, and Republicans will just carry on with the attack, because they know nobody who supports them will hear this news.

And they'll make hay forever off their "victory" and how they're the lone bastion standing guard against the Democrats' perfidious attacks on the very fabric of American life. What would you do if we hadn't been here to stop them???

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

HonorableTB posted:

I would say both Roosevelts were solid progressives, I'd much rather have a dynasty of Roosevelts than the Kennedys, anyway.
I wouldn't consider the Roosevelts a dynasty per say since they were cousins in different branches and they correspondingly had different political parties. Also both had charismatic sons that died too soon

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1491729076452827139

turns out Trump had his reasons for wanting hi powered toilets

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Kulkasha posted:

I wouldn't consider the Roosevelts a dynasty per say since they were cousins in different branches and they correspondingly had different political parties. Also both had charismatic sons that died too soon

They were a political elite dynasty, though, even if they didn’t have more at the highest levels. Hell, Kermit was running the CIA op that overthrew Mossadegh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ILL Machina posted:

It's also how we lost the legend Billy Mays.

Great. Now, in addition to every symptom I ever WebMD listing "cancer" as a possible cause, I now have to think that today might be my last if I bump my head and seem fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Meatball posted:

They appear to be keeping the program to allow people to shoot up or smoke in safe spaces and provide clean needles.

They just won't provide clean crack/meth pipes. Which is both better than I assumed it would be, but also a very weird place to draw the line. It would make much more sense to fold the whole thing or just not change anything. Helping people shoot up heroin is apparently fine, but helping people smoke meth is bad? There's no logical public policy reason for that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

theCalamity posted:

It’s really great having an administration that will cave instantly to ginned up right wing bullshit instead of what their (ostensible) base wants and needs.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

They appear to be keeping the program to allow people to shoot up or smoke in safe spaces and provide clean needles.

They just won't provide clean crack/meth pipes. Which is both better than I assumed it would be, but also a very weird place to draw the line. It would make much more sense to fold the whole thing or just not change anything. Helping people shoot up heroin is apparently fine, but helping people smoke meth is bad? There's no logical public policy reason for that.

I think it's more common knowledge that needle sharing leads to spread of HIV and other scary bloodborne diseases. The crack/meth pipe problem is something where it's easier for people to say users are harming themselves and only themselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to the actual AP article, there never were pipes as part of the grant.

The grants do allow for safe smoking kits, which sometimes come with safe pipes, but whatever was bought with the kit had to comply with state and federal laws, which would prohibit the kits that come with pipes.

Looking at the original grant application, that seems right.

But, a "social media firestorm" saying they were "giving out free government crack pipes during Black History Month" is what prompted them to speak out that it wasn't accurate.

https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/grants/pdf/fy22-harm-reduction-nofo.pdf

quote:

Eligible products include:

o Harm reduction vending machine(s), including stock for machines;
o Infectious diseases testing kits (HIV, HBV, HCV, etc.);
o Medication lock boxes;
o FDA-approved overdose reversal medication(as well as higher dosages
now approved by FDA);
o Safe sex kits, including PrEP resources and condoms;
o Safe smoking kits/supplies;
o Screening for infectious diseases (HIV, sexually transmitted infections,
viral hepatitis);
o Sharps disposal and medication disposal kits;
o Substance test kits, including test strips for fentanyl and other synthetic
drugs;
o Syringes to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases;
o Vaccination services (hepatitis A, hepatitis B vaccination); and
o Wound care management supplies.
• Evidence-based interventions or promising practices implemented at the
community level.

quote:

FUNDING LIMITATIONS/RESTRICTIONS

The funding restrictions for this project are as follows:

• No more than 20 percent of the total grant award for the budget period may
be used for:
o Administrative costs; and
o Data collection, performance measurement, and performance
assessment, including incentives for participating in the required data
collection follow-up.
• State recipients are required to use a minimum of 80 percent of their funds to
support subrecipient communities (the priority populations for this program
are underserved communities that are greatly impacted by SUD) that
demonstrate a need for harm reduction programming in their selected
prevention priority(ies).
• Recipients must use funding to supplement and not supplant existing
prevention activities in their organization. The rule against supplanting
SAMHSA grant funds applies to activities funded by HRSA, CDC, CMS and
other federal programs
o All products must comply with applicable laws of federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial governments or tribal organizations

Tribal organization means the recognized body of any AI/AN tribe; any legally established organization of AI/ANs which is controlled, sanctioned, or chartered by such governing body, or which is democratically elected by the adult members of the Indian community to be served by such organization and which includes the maximum participation of AI/ANs in all phases of its activities.

https://apnews.com/article/business..._source=Twitter

quote:

Dousing a social media firestorm, the Biden administration said Wednesday that a grant program to counter harm from illicit drugs will not pay for safer pipes to smoke crack or meth.

The White House was put on the defensive as outrage from the political right, some of it with racial overtones, was cresting online.

“No federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits,” Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra and White House drug policy adviser Rahul Gupta said in a joint statement.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said separately it was never the intention to pay for drug pipes, and complained that any such impression was created by “inaccurate reporting.”

quote:

The original request for funding proposals from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration had listed “safe smoking kits/supplies” among the items that could be purchased with taxpayer money. They were among a dozen categories that included overdose prevention drugs, medication lockboxes, test kits for infectious diseases, and syringe disposal containers. The grant solicitation did not specifically mention pipes, although they can be a part of safe smoking kits.

Daniel Raymond, director of policy for the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable, said only a few programs in the U.S. have handed out safe smoking kits.

“None of this was being done with federal funds,” Raymond said. “I feel very confident in saying that. I would have been aware if that were true.”

quote:

Nonetheless reports that the Biden administration was using federal dollars to pay for “crack pipes” took off. Some Republican senators piled on, castigating the administration.

Misleading claims about the HHS program dominated social media early Wednesday, many of them from conservative commentators and Republican politicians sharing memes and tweets that received tens of thousands of likes.

Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas tweeted: “Last week, Biden talked about being tough on crime. This week, the Biden Admin announced funds for crack pipe distribution to “advance racial equity.”

Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee chimed in on Twitter Tuesday night to say, “End government-funded crack pipes.”

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida called the purported pipe distribution “insanity” in a video published on Twitter, which had 245,000 views by Wednesday afternoon. “The Biden administration is going to be sending crack pipes and meth pipes targeting minority communities in this country,” he said.

Some social media users even went as far as to say that Biden and other Democrats were going to give out crack pipes during Black History Month.

“Joe Biden is handing out crack pipes to help ‘racial equity’... during Black History Month,” Errol Webber, a Black Republican candidate for California’s 47th Congressional District, said on Twitter. “No I’m not joking. No I’m not lying. This is what he thinks of our community.”

HHS spokeswoman Sarah Lovenheim tweeted that such reports were “blatant misinformation,” and Wednesday at the White House briefing Psaki said paying for pipes was never part of the plan.

“They were never a part of the kit,” said Psaki. “It was inaccurate reporting and we wanted to put out information to make that clear.”

Late Wednesday, Rubio issued a press release saying, “I am glad the Biden administration acknowledges sending crack pipes to our nation’s addicts is a bad idea.”

quote:

But administration officials Becerra and Gupta said they continue to stand by “proven harm reduction strategies like providing naloxone, fentanyl test strips, and clean syringes.” HHS also pointed out that the harm reduction grants are required to conform to federal, state and local laws, and crack pipes are illegal in many jurisdictions.

Homemade pipes for smoking crack and methamphetamine may break easily or also release toxic fumes. Because of that, safer pipes may be one of the components of the kits.

But they also can and do include other supplies, such as alcohol wipes to clean hands or a pipe, or lip balm for cracked lips, Raymond said. Such give-away kits can be a way to start a conversation with drug users, perhaps pointing them toward change.

https://apnews.com/article/business..._source=Twitter

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 10, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Great. Now, in addition to every symptom I ever WebMD listing "cancer" as a possible cause, I now have to think that today might be my last if I bump my head and seem fine.

I cracked my skull on my kid's bunk bed this morning. I don't wanna go out like Bob Saget!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mdemone posted:

I don't wanna go out like Bob Saget!

Guaranteed Bobby Hill line in the KotH revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1491776296581480456

This isn't going to help anything substantive get passed. When faced with this kind of supply-side inflation, Nixon went on the offensive to attack price-gougers. Biden and the Democrats seem too tame to go on that front and are just letting big business and the GOP set them up as the fall guys. No bravery to make long term productive investments in our economy and population and all the willingness to just stick their thumbs up their asses and pretend there's nothing they can do.

No one has learned their lessons from post-WWII economic or political history and I'm getting really sick of it.