Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda weird the game is advertising "it connects the 2 worlds of the previous games together" or whatever. I liked that each title had largely unique (if still connected) settings. I don't think a big thing needs to be made of how it fits together.

I mean, a lot of these characters look like they literally merged former party members together, and the overarching plot appears to be the world of XBC1 is at war with the world of XBC2

So I think a big part of the game will be about how the "connection" between the two is very messy and not going great, which imo is a pretty cool and unique take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Feels like those two characters resembling other two characters is a misdirection. Like yeah they're saying this is a bridge between the two games but making the two mysterious masked characters be their respective game's unrequited love seems too on the nose

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It will make perfect sense when they get married and live happily ever after

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chumbler posted:

Can't be. With no XBX rerelease, people would lack context. Unless they do a surprise rerelease in the summer.

As if this has ever stopped a Xenoblade game before.

TheKingofSprings posted:

And a lot more restrained for some reason

A lot of the over the top art like the creepy gently caress bunny came from guest artists too, didn't it?

Supremezero posted:

Yes, but he still made Pyra and Mythra

Mythra's outfit was about 80% of the way to looking perfectly fine, even just adding leggings to it in Smash Bros helped considerably. Pyra's was just stupid though.

OhFunny posted:

Staffgun.

She looks like one of Melia's descendants married one of Rex's descendants and had her weapon designed by Lin.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda weird the game is advertising "it connects the 2 worlds of the previous games together" or whatever. I liked that each title had largely unique (if still connected) settings. I don't think a big thing needs to be made of how it fits together.

Just curious but did you finish Xenoblade 2? To me this makes sense considering how 2 ends

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I hope a giant loving spaceship with United States written down the side crashes into the middle of the conflict zone halfway into the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After learning that this game takes place in the same setting as the first two games (didn't see if this was explicit but seems obvious), at first I was thinking that this might be a problem since I enjoy games like this having some sort of big overarching mystery, while all the major stuff was revealed in X1/X2.

But then I remembered that we don't really know much about that artifact from the events prior to those games (or much about that situation in general beyond the specific events directly relevant to X1/X2), so there's actually a bunch of mystery stuff they could still do.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just curious but did you finish Xenoblade 2? To me this makes sense considering how 2 ends

Yeah I beat the game and I enjoyed the whole "guess what, the games are connected" thing especially once you get to the architect but that's kinda how I liked it? Like the game wasn't about that, it was just a neat reveal to think about how it all fits. Making a point with the release of the first trailer to be like "This game will explain how it all comes together" and it doesn't sound that interesting imo. Just kinda makes it sound sorta deriviative? I appreciated that despite how they ended up sharing continuity Xeno 2 was its own thing pretty much totally separate from the og game and advertising the new game with how it's linked to the previous 2 just ain't all that exciting.

Like, i'm sure that same with 2 it will pretty much be doing its own thing and it won't be like "Hey the point of this game is to be a chronicles direct sequel/2 prequel" or whatever but it's a weird point to start from.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

After learning that this game takes place in the same setting as the first two games (didn't see if this was explicit but seems obvious), at first I was thinking that this might be a problem since I enjoy games like this having some sort of big overarching mystery, while all the major stuff was revealed in X1/X2.

But then I remembered that we don't really know much about that artifact from the events prior to those games (or much about that situation in general beyond the specific events directly relevant to X1/X2), so there's actually a bunch of mystery stuff they could still do.

there is approximately a 0% chance that this game wont have a big overarching mystery

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chronojam posted:

I hope a giant loving spaceship with United States written down the side crashes into the middle of the conflict zone halfway into the game.
First thing we hear is a joke about eating Tatsu.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Chronojam posted:

You fuckers don't wanna mess with Neo-Houston.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Me rn.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

In a surprise twist it's actually Xenogears 2 but to avoid Square's army of lawyers everyone's names are slightly off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/freelnformation/status/1491604844460724224

Losing my mind. A year and a half before Xenoblade 2 came out, the good folk at Monolith enjoyed a little film called Captain America: Civil War. I'm not saying they made Nia to be Melia 2 in the end just to setup this. But. They loving did

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Supremezero posted:

I mean, to be fair, you already know why 2 had issues, you lay it out there. So there's no reason to expect 3 to not be great.

... except for BotW2 coming out. Within like a few months of Xenoblade 3's release, probably.

So it's entirely possible the exact same thing will happen again.

But probably not!

Monolith went on a massive hiring spree after XC2 so they were likely trying to avoid being mega understaffed again for this one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They were helping out pokemon instead of Zelda this time.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Chronojam posted:

Nah I think they are playing the long game and it will be years before the games are connected.

There is a reason it's called Xenoblade X (10)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Monolith does not appear to be involved with Pokemon Legends Arceus, per the credits.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, fooled by leaks again.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

100 new posts on this half dead thread? What the gently caress just happened?
:stare:
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

So we're getting Nia and Melia's daughters (granddaughters?) in the party while Melia and Nia are going villain. Fake villain. Ok there's no way they're actually villains the fandom would have Monolith's heads if they did.

Now I wonder which Monado* the main character wields this game, we're kinda short on trinity processor cores.
You know, with Malos dead, Pyra and Mythra status unclear and it's probably not Alvis.
gently caress it, let's go full** anime and have this fourth Xenoblade be Rex, Pyra and Mythra's offspring somehow. If they're the MC too we could have Alvis being that uncle.
*No loving way that sword isn't a Monado tier being
**fuller? fullest? This franchise be loving peak anime so let's go even beyond

Random musings, Brigid and Aegeon should still be around? I hope we meet the latest emperor and they're still identical to keep up the joke. Possibly an empress instead but the model is a clear copy paste.

I love newMelia's weapon being the unholy fusion between Melia's staff and Sharla's rifle, meanwhile newNia swiped Drommarch's stuff. Because of course.

Speaking of Drommarch, if Nia is here he should be too. I hope they don't do him dirty again.

Were there any Machina people in the trailers? You'd think Melia's United Mecho-Bionis Federation would have some. No big wings bird people that I could see, but I assume after 1 all surviving High Entia took to continuing the Homs interbreeding program as a basic rear end precaution.

Nopons. Nopons never change. More like Riki, less like Tora please.

No gacha. Please no gacha. While I personally didn't mind it too much it did warp gameplay in bad ways just by existing.

Oh gently caress it's actually happening :sickos: where's the preorder button why can't the shut up and take my money don't actually shut up keep the trailer dopamine going but still take my money.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Omobono posted:

Were there any Machina people in the trailers? You'd think Melia's United Mecho-Bionis Federation would have some.

One of the party members appears to be Machina

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
With all the attention back to Xenoblade as a series I'd love the list of guides/videos that explain how to actually play the game as all I've repeatedly heard is how completely loving difficult it is to figure out since the in game information is basically a lie.

I do know that XC2 after all the updates and DLC got rid of some of the grind and maybe made the gatcha a bit better? I still have XC1 for the wii and was thinking about just hooking that one up to play instead of buying the DE for the Switch unless the consensus is to play the newer version.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

pentyne posted:

With all the attention back to Xenoblade as a series I'd love the list of guides/videos that explain how to actually play the game as all I've repeatedly heard is how completely loving difficult it is to figure out since the in game information is basically a lie.

I do know that XC2 after all the updates and DLC got rid of some of the grind and maybe made the gatcha a bit better? I still have XC1 for the wii and was thinking about just hooking that one up to play instead of buying the DE for the Switch unless the consensus is to play the newer version.

Definitely play the new version if you can, there were some good QOL changes including an infinitely better map/quest/UI system. Made doing all the side quests much, much easier

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

pentyne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P7KhFSA2w&t=35s
Simple video that is enough to get you going on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEksqxaML58
Nitty gritty details.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P7KhFSA2w&t=35s
Simple video that is enough to get you going on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEksqxaML58
Nitty gritty details.

Thanks for this.

I absolutely love XC1 and tried to get into XC2 but just couldn’t. Hearing XC3 being announced has me considering trying XC2 again. Or just watching a Let’s Play on YT somewhere so I’m somewhat prepared for XC3.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm curious how they're going to handle a 4 person party. Do we just get a 3rd broken AI member to compensate for the terrible AI of the other 2 non-controlled characters? I'm going to spend so much more time in menus setting up characters :negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

has someone said they're doing 4 person parties now or are you just guessing?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Trailer shows four people running around on the field.

For what its worth, X also had 4 person parties.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

huh, so it did

i totally didn't remember because my overwhelming memory of combat in that game is just being constantly unable to tell what the gently caress was going on and never fully coming to grips with the millions of systems even after reading the manual several times and being 50 hours into the game lol

still never did pull off a successful overdrive before i stopped playing!

say what you will about 2's terrible tutorials but at least the basics are way more intuitive

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like XC2’s combat, however it’s mostly suited for one enemy with loads of HP. So fights against minor enemies are mostly dull since it all dies before you get enough orbs to do anything. Compared to XC1 where all you need is gauge, and chain attacks can continue to a new enemy once the initial one dies, and regular combat is just more engaging. Even if the luck-based system for continuing a chain attack is annoying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chronojam posted:

I unironically hope that the big overarchng mystery of the game is that Aionis is being targeted by the Samaar or that the world of Mira got pulled into the unified XC reality.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Pokemon Legends would actually look good and have a proper open world if this were the case.

Omobono posted:

Now I wonder which Monado* the main character wields this game, we're kinda short on trinity processor cores.

I fully expect that we'll see multiple conduits and respective weapons at play. Monado, Aegis(es), and probably end with some new god weapon formed from a unified conduit. Assuming that the MC isn't wielding a combined superweapon already, since the sword he has sure looks like someone combined the Monado and Pyra's sword.

Pants Donkey posted:

I like XC2’s combat, however it’s mostly suited for one enemy with loads of HP. So fights against minor enemies are mostly dull since it all dies before you get enough orbs to do anything.

Orbs only mattered for high HP enemies that you couldn't just obliterate with driver combos.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So have they said if the combat and game play is more xb1 or xb2? Weapons and armor and stuff or just chips and different blades?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The blades system looks to be gone but two of the party members shown are blades. It looks like they're just full party members now without the driver system.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
oh look there's a bunch of new posts in the Xenoblade thread I wonder what :tviv:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I swear to god if they loving this up with more gatcha poo poo...

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Kris xK posted:

I got my KOS-MOS first try. :smug:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

I got my KOS-MOS first try. :smug:

100s of hours, never loving got one.

What a great system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kris xK posted:

I hope there is more Gotcha so bad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really looking forward to experiencing all the clever new adjustments they've made to the system to improve the QoL over the last game and also all the completely new annoying chores and obtuse timesinks they've added to compensate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'll allow the gacha, but only if they do weird crossovers.