Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I was actually thinking about live a live not that long ago but never in a million years did I think I would live in a world where it gets remade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly since that would require licensing the IP again (or pulling a Third Birthday and just weirdly avoiding directly mentioning anything involving the IP) I doubt it. Plus Third Birthday was one of the most atrociously awful games I've ever played so I'm fine with the franchise staying dead.

I always forget that Parasite Eve is based on a novel. Like Die Hard.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I would, however, be 1000% down for a spiritual successor.

Bravely Eve. Parasite Default.

Octopath Mitochondria.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crowetron posted:

I always forget that Parasite Eve is based on a novel. Like Die Hard.

The novel (and movie) are real bad too lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hell yeah Chrono Cross remaster has turn off encounters by default. Finally the games weird star system functions better.

RIP new players getting bodied by one normal fisherman.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Getting an official TL of radical dreamers alone is great. Getting to play CC on switch (and probably PC) owns. Front Mission 1 and 2 own. Xenoblade owns (if it has a real party in it and not that poo poo in 2). Live A Live remake is gorgeous. I'm glad we had to cancel the FFT remaster for this.

Live a Live was the first game Yoko Shimomura worked on for Square and she was already putting out bangers. You can hear the pipe-organ motif of "Demon Lord's Overture" in the track "MEGALOMANIA", which was a direct inspiration for Toby Fox's similarly titled musical masterpiece.

I didn't realize just how much Octopath Traveler's enormous, highly-detailed enemy sprites were lifted straight from Live a Live. I do wish the characters interacted more with each other; Octopath does a slightly better job with tavern talk and party chat, and the writers managed to tie every single character's story into the true final boss.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

The novel (and movie) are real bad too lol

It was my one dip into J-horror novels for years and you better believe I regretted it but was too deep to give up when I got to (warning: surreal sexual assault) the scientist being unwillingly prostate milked by the homunculus made of his dead wife's cells/Eve and then the story kept going for another chunk!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
LIVE A LIVE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mix. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEPE2ohdKI

JRPG that was only shown in the JP Direct, producer worked on Lunar and Grandia, OST is by one of the ace attorney composers

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1491570004843585536

the gunparade march dna actually makes a lot of sense, the game seems to have a big focus on character interaction and relationship systems given its somewhat life sim-y structure. hope it gets a tl, it's marvelous so i could see it going through xseed if they're able to handle it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

LIVE A LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Nmc84Noos

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Im kidding of course, I just want the battle system to be good, the lead can smooch whoever they want if fighting is fun.
that's usually a problem for Xenoblade imo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did Xenoblade 2 have vehicles? I'm intermittently playing the first one and the lack of them as we're running around is kind of a negative even with the fast travel.

I know that X had giant robots.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

2 did not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

X wins again

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Oh hell yeah Chrono Cross remaster has turn off encounters by default. Finally the games weird star system functions better.

RIP new players getting bodied by one normal fisherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPbMd2fbp8

It's a good funeral theme.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

X wins again

X also had a super sprint and no fall damage

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

X also had a super sprint and no fall damage

Port XBX to Switch, cowards.

And in other news, hell yeah Front Mission!

And live a Live.

Now remake Xenogears.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As someone who never played Chrono Cross, the real question now is do I play this remaster or wait for an announcemt of a remake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always original

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Remakes are waaaaay more expensive to produce than remasters, and if SE's gonna shell out big cash on a Chrono game, it won't be Cross.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Funny because it won’t be Trigger either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Its Dq3 and the rest of it goes back into the Nomura vault.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Funny because it won’t be Trigger either.

Yeah, fair.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Remakes are waaaaay more expensive to produce than remasters, and if SE's gonna shell out big cash on a Chrono game, it won't be Cross.
wouldn't a remake of a fairly obscure poorly-selling nonlinear SNES RPG like Live A Live be the least likely to get a remake by that logic?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They remade Front Mission (again) and Live a Live, their remake policy seems to just be whoever has the passion for it like the old days.

I mean loving *act raiser*

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

wouldn't a remake of a fairly obscure poorly-selling nonlinear SNES RPG like Live A Live be the least likely to get a remake by that logic?

Oh, the Live-A-Live is a remake? I assumed it was a pixel remaster situation.

Nevermind, don't listen to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

As someone who never played Chrono Cross, the real question now is do I play this remaster or wait for an announcemt of a remake.

A remake would change the plot, and while that would probably be pretty good for Chrono Cross, it carries a risk of losing what is charming about the original.

Heard this song tooooo maaaaany tiiiiiimes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Oh, the Live-A-Live is a remake? I assumed it was a pixel remaster situation.

Nevermind, don't listen to me.
It's HD-2D ala Octopath, DQ3 and Triangle Strategy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i feel like live a live had a certain amount of cult status though, that cross never got

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they won't do a remake of chrono cross because if you remake chrono cross you either have to try harder to live up to the idea of its gimmicks, or you have to cut the gimmicks out, and one is way more expensive while the other will leave people disappointed and there's no way either will be profitable enough

same reason they'll never do a xenogears remake unless you really think they care about severely expanding the script of a game they'd otherwise have to spend zero new translation work on, even if they kept it close to how the original is played and presented. and if they did go bigger that would cost more than making loving ff7r do you understand how many unique assets that would be that game is throwing you into new locations every three hours and a decent chunk of those locations are optional areas can you imagine making twice that amount on a modern game budget

square enix is only gonna do remakes of games that really have the cultural cache to justify it and even in final fantasy that's just like. ff7, 9 and 10. 2d hd remakes are still nowhere near what you'd have to do to remake a ps1 game in a style that would be seen as equivalent, especially something distinct for its 3d like chrono cross. there is the mana remakes but trials of mana was, insanely low budget, and they could not get away with doing that sort of thing for any of their psx games. maybe you could get away with remaking musashi or threads of fate in that style but certainly not cross or gears. front mission's remakes are not on the same scale at all either

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 10, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
S-E seems pretty hesitant to touch the Chrono franchise whether it's a remake or a new title unless they can get the band back together and so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on the creative side for doing it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also say this cause in general square enix seems to, really, really love cutting localization costs on old games. og trials of mana only got localized cause the remake's script is so identical that they could just use the same script for both and despite ff7 very, very, very, very, very, very desperately needing a retranslation they, have not given it anything even approaching that, in any rerelease, for the past decade. saga frontier is like. the extreme outlier among a lot of these cheaper remasters of smaller titles for how much it does add writing-wise

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blockhouse posted:

S-E seems pretty hesitant to touch the Chrono franchise whether it's a remake or a new title unless they can get the band back together and so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on the creative side for doing it.

They did a Chrono Cross crossover with a gacha game like a week ago. Clearly they are banking on at least some interest in the series still existing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clarste posted:

They did a Chrono Cross crossover with a gacha game like a week ago. Clearly they are banking on at least some interest in the series still existing.

Right, but what I mean is that a remake or new game in the Chrono series would probably need the original core team getting back together and none of those guys work at Square anymore (except for Tokita, who is more than likely the reason Live A Live is even happening) or seem particularly interested in doing so. There's a difference between doing crossover events in one of the former teram's games and doing a remaster and making something actually new or overhauling one of the older games. If you can't get Kato, Sakaguchi, et al. then what's the point?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm not super familiar with the cast behind the Chrono games but I know one name besides Tokita who could come back: Toriyama, because he still works with Square Enix for the Dragon Quest character designs.

...did Toriyama do the Cross designs tho? I know he did the Trigger designs, but...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

...did Toriyama do the Cross designs tho? I know he did the Trigger designs, but...

No, it was.. Nobuteru Yuki I think?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the chrono cross gacha crossover was surely done to promote this upcoming remaster, people even found mention of the remaster in the files so it was probably originally intended to more directly promote it timing-wise

toriyama wasn't involved in chrono cross. there's not actually that much overlap in key staff, there's more between xenogears & chrono cross than between cross & trigger.

Blockhouse posted:

Right, but what I mean is that a remake or new game in the Chrono series would probably need the original core team getting back together and none of those guys work at Square anymore (except for Tokita, who is more than likely the reason Live A Live is even happening) or seem particularly interested in doing so. There's a difference between doing crossover events in one of the former teram's games and doing a remaster and making something actually new or overhauling one of the older games. If you can't get Kato, Sakaguchi, et al. then what's the point?

yeah tokita has been talking about a live-a-live remake or rerelease for ages now, it's cool to see it finally happen.

but yeah square does not seem interested in making a new chrono game at all, even when the remaining lead staff have tried. the chrono cross staff mostly left for monolith soft or went on to make ff11, so that probably killed any possibility of a follow-up at the time. even when some of the remaining leads have tried to make a new chrono game, it's never gotten anywhere - we know sato & sakaguchi both wanted to make a follow-up to cross in the early 00s, but sakaguchi has since blamed conflicts with square enix management for it never getting off the ground and notably they both left square in 2003. tokita said in 2017 he tried to get a new chrono game made more recently, but again it didn't get anywhere and he instead reused some of his ideas for ff dimensions 2, so the issue is more than just that the lead staff aren't interested.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Chrono Trigger in HD-2D would be way better than Live A Live.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tactics Ogre was spoken of earlier, but what other games have the most asinine leveling systems?

FF2, of course. But also those Yakuza games where you have 5 types of experience, and you can break the difficulty in the first chapter by binge-eating, then end up with a growing sack of EXP with nothing to buy. I spent 20 minutes in front of a vending-machine just drinking everything on offer instead of visiting my comatose daughter. It was a missed oppurtunity that there was no "pissing in a urinal" minigame given the pedigree.

FFX's sphere-grid is slow and cumbersome, and a grinding nightmare for anyone who wants to fight the optional bosses.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 10, 2022