Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

You need enough court grandeur to unlock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hellioning posted:

Historical!

Very much so!

Now I've started a Halfdan Whiteshirt game (Seems I always gratitate to him) and took a concubine who immediately cheated on me so I beat the poo poo out of her in single combat.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

megane posted:

I do recommend the mod that changes the reformation requirement from "hold 3 holy sites personally" to "have 3 holy sites controlled by members of your religion"; it's absurd that in order to reform your religion you have to destroy all your coreligionists.

Conveniently, I just updated that mod for 1.5 today.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Managed to lose in 4 months :psyduck:

Petitioned the my liege to put my on his council, he didn't so I got stressed from being arrogant.

Went to pay homage and my dude like fell over and got laughed at, arrogant + something else put me at around 50 stress away from loving dying.

Then my Arabic tutor tried to help me with my homework but all three options were +50 stress so I died lol

lmao this rules

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Got truly annihilated trying to be a Zoroastrian in Persia. Muslims do not be liking that, it seems.

The trick is to be under a muslim ruler and marry into other local zoroastrians.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thought of arrogance and died

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dorkopotamis posted:

I feel like (and Paradox has been struggling with this for awhile) there's a subset of the fan base that is very outspoken and very petty.

Look, the price on the DLC was so high it took away my ability to feel human.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

I do recommend the mod that changes the reformation requirement from "hold 3 holy sites personally" to "have 3 holy sites controlled by members of your religion"; it's absurd that in order to reform your religion you have to destroy all your coreligionists.

I feel like it conceptually makes sense, because the whole idea behind reforming a pagan religion is about taking a loose set of similar, but not identical, local traditions, and codifying it into a single centralized religious authority, which is something where you'd really need a single strong entity to be able to enforce the new dogma. If not, you're just like, one more random local tradition, that nobody else really has any reason to follow.

It does suck for gameplay purposes though, since it typically just ends up with the player being the only kingdom/empire following their religion.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd kind of prefer it if it was just 1 as a requirement and the holding of other sites giving an initial fervor bonus or more immediate conversions. I'd like for multiple competing reformed pagan religions for instance, rather than the reformation making you the center of power in that religion. Like if the British norse and the Scandinanvian norse reform in separate directions you'd get some interesting events, I think

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think it would be cool if new holy sites could form over time. Like oh hey a super pious person died here a hundred years ago, or you fought off a massive enemy crusade on this spot or something. Change things up over time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Petitioned the my liege to put my on his council, he didn't so I got stressed from being arrogant.

Went to pay homage and my dude like fell over and got laughed at, arrogant + something else put me at around 50 stress away from loving dying.

Then my Arabic tutor tried to help me with my homework but all three options were +50 stress so I died lol

Pride cometh before the fall.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I had a pretty good relationship going with the Pope, playing a pious Catholic so he constantly sends me mad cash when all of a sudden I get a notification that he demanded all but one of my lands and I had a negative reputation with him.

I was confused until I looked at my character and his fath said he was Jewish all of a sudden? Does anyone know what the hell happened? I didn't suddenly convert him, nobody in my family or court was even Jewish, and I had mainly been focusing on conquering Siciliy so nobody I had been at war with or interacted with was Jewish. Does anyone know what triggered this random and sudden conversion without the game even telling me my character had converted? Maybe a bug?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I held court as Robert of Sicily and immediately dueled a lady who suggested that the solution to a local crime wave was to take away everyone's swords. I wouldn't have chosen that route pre-expansion, but I desperately needed to lower my stress and I got no relief from hunting due to cheaping out on my court and refusing to hire a master of the hunt. Pre-expansion, it always felt like you could basically lower your stress at will by hunting and feasting, but that's harder and more expensive now, so I've already had to lower my stress a couple times at the expense of people I've decided don't matter.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If you keep doing the bring out new fashions decisions with a high level court fashion you get a literal "Kingdom of Fashion" title.

It does not get passed on to your kid. :(

Also diplomatic courts really boost vassalizing. I'm scarfing up duchies left and right with it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

This is some Disco Elysium failure poo poo :lol:

Worst part of starting a new game for the DLC is that I only like doing a Rags to Riches thing. And only Ironman so no mods. And I find the west Europe area too frantic. So it's gonna be a little while longer before I see any courts out here in Asia area.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Kvlt! posted:

So I had a pretty good relationship going with the Pope, playing a pious Catholic so he constantly sends me mad cash when all of a sudden I get a notification that he demanded all but one of my lands and I had a negative reputation with him.

I was confused until I looked at my character and his fath said he was Jewish all of a sudden? Does anyone know what the hell happened? I didn't suddenly convert him, nobody in my family or court was even Jewish, and I had mainly been focusing on conquering Siciliy so nobody I had been at war with or interacted with was Jewish. Does anyone know what triggered this random and sudden conversion without the game even telling me my character had converted? Maybe a bug?

Did you ever have a break? I've accidentally clicked the option to convert to a random religion more than once.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

megane posted:

You only need one to reform. You need three to become "organized."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SlothBear posted:

If you keep doing the bring out new fashions decisions with a high level court fashion you get a literal "Kingdom of Fashion" title.

It does not get passed on to your kid. :(

Also diplomatic courts really boost vassalizing. I'm scarfing up duchies left and right with it.
On the other hand, I noticed some ruler having an icon of little coiled pile of poop as a modifier. It said his court was smelly.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Had a really weird bug, in the middle of a war my feudal empire suddenly changed to a tribe. I owned a few tribal holdings that I had recently conquered and was waiting on more family to hand them out to, but my capital had been feudal for 200 years.

It ended up being a good bug because it let me grab another stack of MaA, but it was really weird.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out why the succession mechanics are not giving my player heir (and also my actual primary heir, per election) the capitals of the two duchies he supposedly is going to inherit, and instead giving him some random county in said duchies. I can deal with him getting less counties than his brothers and then slugging it out afterward, but if he's in line to get the duchy title then he clearly should be getting the capital of the duchy. Why is this not happening?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the succession mechanics are not giving my player heir (and also my actual primary heir, per election) the capitals of the two duchies he supposedly is going to inherit, and instead giving him some random county in said duchies. I can deal with him getting less counties than his brothers and then slugging it out afterward, but if he's in line to get the duchy title then he clearly should be getting the capital of the duchy. Why is this not happening?

Who are you playing as and what is the succession law?
Do you have any mods, any at all?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you actually own the capital county of said duchy? Who is supposed to inherit them?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
My half brother complained that I made my second son the court poet and demanded a position of his own. So of course I picked the jester option.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tankbuster posted:

The trick is to be under a muslim ruler and marry into other local zoroastrians.

Can you explain this in more detail?

I did this in CKII so I know how to do it but I was not able to in CK3 since you can't "fake convert" to Islam and you liege will just pester you constantly about converting, educating your children, revoking your titles, imprisoning you and then finally executing you. I have seen tutorials on youtube and it is so obvious that they cheat it's not even funny. "*non ironman game start* Play as this count *snip* now I am the head of my large duchy after some easy wars *snip* ok next I did was to declare war on this guy and win and now I am a King".
I have been made aware of that a huge amount of people also use cheatengine to cheat in ironman mode from seeing many people cry about it not working after the update, I guess they just need updated addresses for cheat engine. Anyway I am just very salty since it seems nobody can tell me in detail how to actually do it in CK3. And to be clear, I am not accusing you of cheating, I am just very salty about this :qq:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

You can't have a secret religion, but presumably you can actually convert and then convert back for the achievement? Other than that, it's possible to get religious protection from your liege via hooks.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Do you have to start as Zoroastrian for that achievement? Shah Ya'qub in eastern Iran starts in a powerful position, you could start as him and then conquer Persia/Daylam. By then you should be strong enough not to worry about other Islamic powers, then convert to Zoroastrianism which iirc is pretty cheap as far as piety costs go.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
First game back as Haestein went well, conquered Sicily, ended up living until 102, forged several artifacts.

Grandson ended up reforging his armour into a purple set that added 8 prowess (to a viking no-less!) and reduced friendly casualties by 8%. I can see artifacts being absolutely broken and making combat even more trivial than usual but the roleplay and character interactions are totally worth it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Who are you playing as and what is the succession law?
Do you have any mods, any at all?

Haesteinn's family, currently holding duchies of Brittany and Normandy and the kingdom of Brittany, all under elective law, realm succession law is confederate partition, inheritors are twin sons, the second one is the one I want to inherit and have nominated but. I use mods but none that should affect inheritance.

PittTheElder posted:

Do you actually own the capital county of said duchy? Who is supposed to inherit them?

I own both duchies' capitals, and per election results and the thing about the realm capital inheritance the second twin/primary & player heir should be getting the kingdom title, the duchy titles, and the two capital counties of each duchy. Instead he gets the capital county of the Normandy duchy (makes sense), but only a generic county of the Brittany duchy and not the capital (doesn't make sense, especially because as the capital of the entire realm it should go to him).

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

pidan posted:

You can't have a secret religion, but presumably you can actually convert and then convert back for the achievement? Other than that, it's possible to get religious protection from your liege via hooks.

Whorelord posted:

Do you have to start as Zoroastrian for that achievement? Shah Ya'qub in eastern Iran starts in a powerful position, you could start as him and then conquer Persia/Daylam. By then you should be strong enough not to worry about other Islamic powers, then convert to Zoroastrianism which iirc is pretty cheap as far as piety costs go.

lamao checking the requirements I just realized there is no achievement in CK3 for reforming Zoroastrianism, now I feel kind of stupid
Thank's for the tips though, I might try that Shah Ya'qub thing anyway.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Was there an expansion pass? I seem to already own the DLC.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Was there an expansion pass? I seem to already own the DLC.

Crusader Kings 3 Royal Edition
Includes 5 items: Crusader Kings III, Crusader Kings III: Fashion of the Abbasid Court, Crusader Kings III: Royal Court, Crusader Kings III: Northern Lords, Crusader Kings III: Flavor Pack 2

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
What happens if I borrow money from a holy order? It says "If you don't pay them back they will start making demands." So, how long do I have to pay them back? What demands will they make?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TjyvTompa posted:

What happens if I borrow money from a holy order? It says "If you don't pay them back they will start making demands." So, how long do I have to pay them back? What demands will they make?

There's probably a lower time limit to when it starts happening, but the one time I tried that, it was essentially the same things they always ask of you (some holding to expand their base), except they get to pick what holding you give them much more freely and you don't get the same option to deny that request.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TjyvTompa posted:

lamao checking the requirements I just realized there is no achievement in CK3 for reforming Zoroastrianism, now I feel kind of stupid
Thank's for the tips though, I might try that Shah Ya'qub thing anyway.

Yeah I did a Zunbil run a year or two ago (probably posts itt) and it sucks there's no cheevo because that's some hard poo poo!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dorkopotamis posted:

You only need one to reform. You need three to become "organized."

Which, when you're an unreformed faith, is the only option you have, and called "reformation", so...

Anyways, I may just get that mod. I started a game as a Mongol High Chieftain in the far east under the Kirgiz Khanate. Been doing great, but I just looked at the faith thing and excuse me the Tengriism holy sites are loving WHERE?!? :psyduck: Okay, the two westernmost ones by the Black Sea (lmao) I don't need, but even the middle one is a fair ways away from my current realm. I mean I was never gonna do it with my current guy anyways, nor with the next few, but still.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Re: being a Zoroastrian, this is my current run:

I've done this start 3 or 4 times before getting distracted, but I'm going to try and actually stick with this one and become Saoshyant. Tips for surviving as Zoroastrian:

- you want to start as the guy in the picture, a 3-province count vassal to the Alavids. He usually has decent traits and stats and starts in his 20s which should give you lots of time.
- trading increased levies for title revocation protection gives you some leeway on the religion front. You're almost as powerful as your liege at the start (even more so in Royal Court since your culture is Bellicose), and can easily conquer your fellow vassals and the independent Zoroastrian count of Gilan right at the start.
- the Tahirids to the east can be a problem but they start out at war with the much stronger Saffanids to the south and often end up getting beaten up by Turks. I managed to snatch a county from them while they were weakened.
- Your liege is a Shi'ite surrounded by Sunnis and will get eaten up pretty quickly, so you want to become independent while he's still around to be a buffer between you and the realms to the south, ideally once you've got 4-5 counties and some gold in reserve.
- This is the most vulnerable period, when you're still a Count surrounded by hungry Muslim dukes. You want to become a Duke ASAP so you can form alliances with Indian rulers. They won't be much use militarily (since they take ages to walk their armies over to you) but they inflate your military score which puts people off attacking you.
- You're now racing to form the Kingdom of Daylam so that you don't get hosed by confederate partition. You can grab the duchy of Shirvan to the north in a holy war and hopefully claw the remaining counties off the Georgians if they've taken them. Then you can turn around and grab the remaining bits of your former liege's realm. I used the time-honoured method of Golden Obligations + sticking my spymaster in Constantinople to raise the money for the titles.
- Once you're a king you're relatively safe. Your neighbours can and will try to grab counties off you but you can afford to lose them, and losing a county gives you a buffer period while the truce is in place during which you can grab territory somewhere else.
- I've never seen the Abbasids invade early on but if they do you're probably screwed. Fortunately they tend to implode (you can see the duchy to the north of me has broken away from the Abbasids in the screenshot). Or you could theoretically try to get a hook on the Caliph and swear fealty with title revocation protection and religious rights, but I haven't tried it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So thanks to this thread, the Bindi religion has been reformed, now all i need is to get more cultural tech innovations.

Any recommendations on how to get these faster?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hihohe posted:

So thanks to this thread, the Bindi religion has been reformed, now all i need is to get more cultural tech innovations.

Any recommendations on how to get these faster?

Build tradeports, use the increase development mission. Use the learning tree and become a scholar.
I am doing my Tamil run right now and it is insane. Yes I got extremely lucky and I will probably finish the techtree event faster than the guy who did the tutorial that I posted earlier (check my posts in this thread for that video).

This is in 987AD and I have more development than Constantinople:

This is without any cheats in ironman, money has been really tight so no elephants yet though, not sure how the youtube guy managed that. However I have abused the exploit to not have to join my allies wars :cool:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Started as the one count in Ireland that has a Norse province in 1066 to make the Norse-gael culture. Then won a crusade for Syria with the grandson of the founder of Norse-gael culture and was THEN able to buy a claim on the Byzantines (really op perk) and take over the empire. Swapped to Greek just to stave off factions, but am gonna switch back to Norse-garl and make a sick combo culture with greek, this expansion owns.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Out of curiosity: what happens if you play as the Pope or another traditionally chaste religious leader and choose to remain chaste? Itd be cool if there was a system where you could pick the next religious leader and become them instead. Like if youre playing as the Pope when you die you become the next Pope, and you could try to influence the College of Cardinals to choose which Pope you wanna be.