Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Nighthand posted:

I made a play mistake once (playing a sorcery as an instant because I didn't read the card closely enough) and rather than point out the mistake my opponent just shouted JUDGE into the aether to summon them to rule on the situation. Personally I probably would have preferred saying "hey that's a sorcery" to which I could respond "oh poo poo, sorry, my bad" rather than stall things out for the judge to work their way over to say it, but so it goes.

Historically a lot of cheaters have been guys who made these types of sloppy play errors a lot but somehow only in their own favour, if you call a judge then they might notice a pattern emerging

Or you can try and get your opponent enough warnings for a game loss

But in general I think you should not consider calling a judge to be a big deal because that's why they're there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
can someone with a tumblr submit a question to blogatog asking why the arena devs play dumb about the existence of pioneer?

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1491475910326992898

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's very important that we preserve the uniqueness we have now

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Historically a lot of cheaters have been guys who made these types of sloppy play errors a lot but somehow only in their own favour, if you call a judge then they might notice a pattern emerging

Or you can try and get your opponent enough warnings for a game loss

But in general I think you should not consider calling a judge to be a big deal because that's why they're there

I once had a guy call a judge over and insist I be DQ'd at an FNM because

He swung at me with a phantasm image equipped with a runepike
I blocked with my phyrexian obliterator and he then had to sac like 10 permanent

He argued that I should have made him sac the phantasmal image when he equipped the pike the previous turn and allowed the board state to become unrecoverable. Which yeah I should have but that was my first time playing in 15 years and barely got that equipment were a thing now.

This was the same FNM I had to spend a match listening to an opponent complain I was using Venser sleeves for a BG fight deck. I didn't go back to that store.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dr. Poz posted:

can someone with a tumblr submit a question to blogatog asking why the arena devs play dumb about the existence of pioneer?

I don't think Pioneer gets to play with Modern Horizon cards so I don't think it is the way to go

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
from an idealist standpoint no, but they've shown preference for taking the shortest possible path. pioneer has a smaller card pool than modern and would be easier to implement, with pioneer masters having even previously been on the teams roadmap before being removed in favor of the historic/alchemy mutation were saddled with. i'd much prefer modern but i think the distance it takes to get to a playable format is shorter for pioneer than anything else.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I blocked with my phyrexian obliterator and he then had to sac like 10 permanent

He argued that I should have made him sac the phantasmal image when he equipped the pike the previous turn and allowed the board state to become unrecoverable. Which yeah I should have but that was my first time playing in 15 years and barely got that equipment were a thing now.

This was the same FNM I had to spend a match listening to an opponent complain I was using Venser sleeves for a BG fight deck. I didn't go back to that store.

why did he attack with an obliterator ready to block

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm glad Remy's still doing his thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5-enLq4Xs&hd=1

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Let's say hypothetically I was in a position to advise a small internet company on what magic products they should sell.

What Japanese language product would you most want to buy? Don't worry about price for now, just assume good price.

All in Japanese

Darft Boosters loose
Draft booster box

Set booster loose
Set booster box

Collectors booster loose
Collectors box

Commander decks

Bundle box (8x set booster, spin down, basic land foil, and non foil)

Theme boosters

Again what do people like? I Lean towrd draft boosters only, but I am old and don't play paper any more.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This owns. I had won a pack of magic sleeves with some planeswalker on them, used it to sleeve up a R/G deck. Whatever Standard season this was years ago, someone was running a deck with maindeck Pithing Needles so when they dropped one early game1, they named the planeswalker, which I didn't run.

Accidental Mindgames.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ScottyJSno posted:

Let's say hypothetically I was in a position to advise a small internet company on what magic products they should sell.

What Japanese language product would you most want to buy? Don't worry about price for now, just assume good price.

All in Japanese

Darft Boosters loose
Draft booster box

Set booster loose
Set booster box

Collectors booster loose
Collectors box

Commander decks

Bundle box (8x set booster, spin down, basic land foil, and non foil)

Theme boosters

Again what do people like? I Lean towrd draft boosters only, but I am old and don't play paper any more.

Singles.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I guess collectors boosters because I'm not going to actually draft with cards in a different language so if I'm opening them it's for the fun of it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Absolutely do not advise a company that doesn't currently have deep MTG knowledge (which they don't if they're asking you this advice) to buy and sell singles

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Poz posted:

Add Vintage to arena imo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kashuno posted:

Add Vintage to arena imo

This would be pretty awsome.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Add Vintage to arena imo

this but legacy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Port all of Mtgo to arena.
Gimme a modern ranked queue

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kalel posted:

this but legacy

Good news, adding Vintage would mean adding the entire Legacy card pool by default.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Devor posted:

Absolutely do not advise a company that doesn't currently have deep MTG knowledge (which they don't if they're asking you this advice) to buy and sell singles

I was asked what I’d most like to buy, not to give them business advice.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nighthand posted:

I made a play mistake once (playing a sorcery as an instant because I didn't read the card closely enough) and rather than point out the mistake my opponent just shouted JUDGE into the aether to summon them to rule on the situation. Personally I probably would have preferred saying "hey that's a sorcery" to which I could respond "oh poo poo, sorry, my bad" rather than stall things out for the judge to work their way over to say it, but so it goes.

That’s literally what judges are there for.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've literally seen more bystanders DQed for unintentional outside assistance than anyone actually playing a game (and then it was actually for lying to the judge while they were trying to resolve the situation)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder what logic that guy had to think that an illegal play would get a lesser penalty than failing to notice an opponent's illegal play

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Good news, adding Vintage would mean adding the entire Legacy card pool by default.

I'm saying add the vintage card pool but don't actually make a vintage queue. vintage is for serial killers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The best part is if he knowingly equipped the Pike onto his illusion hoping you wouldn't notice and then called a judge when it was no longer benefitted him that is capital-c Cheating and (i think?) would get you DQd at any level of tournament.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A big flaming stink posted:

why did he attack with an obliterator ready to block

He thought it was damage caused by the obliterator not taken, and runepikebgave first strike.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I wonder what logic that guy had to think that an illegal play would get a lesser penalty than failing to notice an opponent's illegal play

His argument was that he made 'a simple mistake' that I allowed to happen because it would lead to substantial advantage to myself.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

As I understand it, with the current tournament rules it's cheating to intentionally ignore your own triggered abilities, but if you accidentally forget it the opponent doesn't have to point it out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

As I understand it, with the current tournament rules it's cheating to intentionally ignore your own triggered abilities, but if you accidentally forget it the opponent doesn't have to point it out.

Batman logic

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Qwertycoatl posted:

Pretty much. Cheating by Magic rules definition requires intent. So intentionally not acknowledging a self detrimental trigger would fall under that. Of course, it's always hard to prove intent, and humans are definitely not infallible and will miss stuff(I've missed plenty of triggers in my time playing the game), so proper judges dont really throw around the word cheating all that easily.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

So what's the real ending to this story? Did OP get DQ'ed? Did the opponent?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He thought it was damage caused by the obliterator not taken, and runepikebgave first strike.

His argument was that he made 'a simple mistake' that I allowed to happen because it would lead to substantial advantage to myself.

I think you were playing my mother in law.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

The fun thing is that even if you did notice it you're allowed to forget your opponent's triggers.

quote:

To repeat an earlier annotation, players are never responsible for remembering their opponent’s triggers. Players are allowed to remain quiet about triggers controlled by an opponent being missed, even if the triggered ability would do something harmful to its controller. There is never a time when a player should be issued an infraction, be it Unsporting Conduct — Cheating, Game Play Error — Failure to Maintain Game State, etc., for either accidentally or intentionally not calling attention to an opponent’s missed trigger. Players do not have to help their opponents beat them; however, they cannot trick their opponents into missing triggers.
But assuming that wasn't the case, and it was your responsibility to keep track of the trigger (and it isn't. But what if), then yes intentionally ignoring it is cheating. Of course this requires us to read your mind to prove the intent, and that's very hard to do.

quote:

Players are expected to remember their own triggered abilities; intentionally ignoring one may be Unsporting Conduct — Cheating (unless the ability would have no impact on the game as described above).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
you forget your opponent's pact or tabernacle triggers until they're tapped out. blammo

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

ilmucche posted:

you forget your opponent's pact or tabernacle triggers until they're tapped out. blammo

Tabernacle gives people a choice, if they don't pay their creatures die. If they proceed to the draw step without paying then the trigger hasn't been missed, they just refused to pay the upkeep.

With Tabernacle or Pacr I usually do try to give some form of heads up. There are players out there that genuinely do not know the correct order of the phases and I always try to err on the side of sportsmanship with those 2 in particular.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lockdar posted:

Tabernacle gives people a choice, if they don't pay their creatures die. If they proceed to the draw step without paying then the trigger hasn't been missed, they just refused to pay the upkeep.

With Tabernacle or Pacr I usually do try to give some form of heads up. There are players out there that genuinely do not know the correct order of the phases and I always try to err on the side of sportsmanship with those 2 in particular.

The rules just don't work that way anymore. If your opponent draws a card, its no longer a gotcha, you call a judge and the judge makes them pay the price or sacrifice and the game moves on.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Sickening posted:

The rules just don't work that way anymore. If your opponent draws a card, its no longer a gotcha, you call a judge and the judge makes them pay the price or sacrifice and the game moves on.

Oh poo poo really? I think that is much better than what it used to be. I always hated it when I played a Tabernacle and had to warn the other player that their creatures now have an upkeep and I don't have to remind him to pay it. How do they handle additional info being given by the drawing of a card in this situation?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

The fun thing is that even if you did notice it you're allowed to forget your opponent's triggers.

from the cards involved this was probably at a time when both players were responsible for missed triggers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lockdar posted:

Oh poo poo really? I think that is much better than what it used to be. I always hated it when I played a Tabernacle and had to warn the other player that their creatures now have an upkeep and I don't have to remind him to pay it. How do they handle additional info being given by the drawing of a card in this situation?

Unless the judge believes the player intended to do it on purpose, nothing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

from the cards involved this was probably at a time when both players were responsible for missed triggers

Really? I thought you could always have chalice checked your opponent?

Sickening posted:

Unless the judge believes the player intended to do it on purpose, nothing.

When the trigger is considered detrimental the penalty is upgraded to a warning:

quote:

If the triggered ability is usually considered detrimental for the controlling player and they own the card responsible for the existence of the trigger, the penalty is a Warning.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Qwertycoatl posted:

So what's the real ending to this story? Did OP get DQ'ed? Did the opponent?

Judge said if it was something more important than an FNM he'd issue us both warnings keep the noard state. But as is he just scolded me that I should be more observant of my opponents board state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

If the triggered ability is usually considered detrimental for the controlling player and they own the card responsible for the existence of the trigger, the penalty is a Warning.

Does that only cover your own bob triggers and not exactly your opponents tabernacle?