Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sindai posted:

I think the only casualties I've seen in hard dungeons have been people who get really stubborn when the boss targets them and just stand still and get juggled instead of running around dodging while the rest of the group does damage.

I see you’ve had the pleasure of running dungeons with me on Sorceress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Memnaelar posted:

I thought the game was pretty simple also, but once you get to the second continent and hit the level 20 dungeon, you can taste some of the FFXIV inspiration and you finally, for better and worse, get a long-form WOW-type dungeon. I think it's pretty clear you're in tutorial mode for the entire first continent. I'd say reserve judgment until you get to that point.

Agreed, just got through that myself. That dungeon on hard was a ton of fun. Made up for the boring plague quests.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know what I should be doing with engravings? Should I be bothering cutting facets into these stones or whatever the hell is happening or is this just something that's a max level thing

I think one of the engravings is some ultimate ability that I don't want to be missing on but it seems like I'm only partway through acquiring them still. I'm at 33 if that helps.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Is there any benefit to doing the leveling dungeons in groups? They're trivial to solo, even on hard.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Really? Does the HP scale down if you solo them? Stuff doesn't die instantly in a group of 4.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Sindai posted:

Really? Does the HP scale down if you solo them? Stuff doesn't die instantly in a group of 4.

Everything but bosses die in one (good) hit, so presumably.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I did the three dungeons in the first region/continent on Hard solo and didn't have many issues, just needed a few potions. The last boss of the final one had 20k HP so it took about 90 seconds or so.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Those "good hits" are still every few seconds or so. In the low-mid 30's for me it's basically each party member taking turns blowing up packs of baddies. There definitely does seem to be some scaling having done one solo recently, but I think it's still faster in a party.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there slutty male armor?

every male character is the pinnacle of hyper-sexualization of masculinity but i havent seen a banana thong yet

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there slutty male armor?

Yes

Real answer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

acumen posted:

Does anyone know what I should be doing with engravings? Should I be bothering cutting facets into these stones or whatever the hell is happening or is this just something that's a max level thing

I think one of the engravings is some ultimate ability that I don't want to be missing on but it seems like I'm only partway through acquiring them still. I'm at 33 if that helps.

I realize the title is super click bait but he gives a lot of really good information on the system. It’s a click bait title but also 100% correct.

https://youtu.be/iKPa0yiicDo

It’s a long video yeah but the system is a bit convoluted.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That ilvl225 dungeon is pretty cool and the whole city/area around it is a good change of pace. Didn't expect to suddenly be in Midgar and fighting in big battle mechs w/ bonus hoverboard segment. Once the world opens up I'm happy with how different each region is.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

acumen posted:

The stones you get when the system unlocks aren't important at all, but you should cut one and equip it because it gives you a ton of extra HP. You're not really going to get anything more out of them until 50, but you also aren't going to waste anything if you cut one you get right now.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

That ilvl225 dungeon is pretty cool and the whole city/area around it is a good change of pace. Didn't expect to suddenly be in Midgar and fighting in big battle mechs w/ bonus hoverboard segment. Once the world opens up I'm happy with how different each region is.

I have no idea what this dungeon even was and not sure I'll ever know with my alts getting insta-bootsed to 50 lol

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I realize the title is super click bait but he gives a lot of really good information on the system. It’s a click bait title but also 100% correct.

https://youtu.be/iKPa0yiicDo

It’s a long video yeah but the system is a bit convoluted.

Buddy sure is long winded but uh yeah that seems pretty important. To save others some time: engravings are important (and subsequently expensive) as poo poo later on and make a major difference in your dps - grudge is a common one and adds 4/10/20% damage to bosses. The pips come from those books (which unlock an equippable version), high-end jewelry, and those stones you end up cutting, and your endgame goal is to get 4 or 5 extra engravings/traits at rank 3 (15 pips).

admanb posted:

The stones you get when the system unlocks aren't important at all, but you should cut one and equip it because it gives you a ton of extra HP. You're not really going to get anything more out of them until 50, but you also aren't going to waste anything if you cut one you get right now.

I was wondering why my hp spiked so much recently, that is a ton (it brings me from 2800 to 4700).

It's probably pretty unpopular but I do actually kinda like all these crazy alternate advancement things, just takes a while to get used to. Glad there's already a bunch of depth with this and an established track for additional features in the future.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

2DCAT posted:

I have no idea what this dungeon even was and not sure I'll ever know with my alts getting insta-bootsed to 50 lol

It's on the MSQ so not one you'd really miss

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Anyone know how hard to get Uncommon Class Exclusive engravings are? I want to unlock one of my Wardancer's specialties with the 20 books I have at 38ish, but it's not the endgame choice and I don't even know if it's going to be my main.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got up to level 35 with my sorceress and then I bought the gold founders pack after having the bronze one already because I'm a moron who is bad at money. On the bright side I have 2 different colored cats now.

Sorceress is pretty fun. I've got a couple level 10 spells that can destroy packs of mobs at a time if I time everything right.

I haven't opened like any of my item chests though because I have no idea which of the things if any are actually useful. Ive gotta figure out engraving and what to buy and stronghold stuff at some point, but I'll just get to 50 before I worry about it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
fun fact, apparently randomizing a character appearance can do the "duplicate" thing typically reserved for movable tattoos, but it can do them to the fixed ones too. :getin:

i have a monster

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I really like the kMMO vibes, they make me nostalgic for Maplestory, Ragnarok online, DFO and so on. Sorceress is really fun, putting all your points into EXPLOSION and finishing side quests with one cast is very satisfying.
Is any of the cash shop stuff worth buying? And do you get a free character edit at some point or do I have to toss out :10bux: to fix the mess I made during launch rush?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't replicate that weird glitch again so that might just be my character now. it looks so stupid

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Some info on Royal Crystal pricing for those who want to fashionquest.

Royal Crystal pricing is as follows:
Royal Crystal Pack (1,000) - $9.99
Royal Crystal Pack (2,200) - $19.99
Royal Crystal Pack (5,750) - $49.99
Royal Crystal Pack (12,000) - $99.99
Source: Lost Ark Official Post

Founder's Packs - Royal Crystals (plus whatever extras per pack)
Silver Pack (1,000) - $24.99
Gold Pack (4,000) - $49.99
Platinum Pack (7,000) - $99.99

The Founder's Packs will be permanently removed when the official release goes live on Friday.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Game looks pretty. Gameplay wise, how many buttons do you end up using? Hoping it doesn't turn into keyboard piano rotations by endgame.

Also is this one actually free to play or does it have the usual korean-mmorpg catches and caveats to that?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm slogging through artillery at level 21 and man... This game has the laziest quests and dullest drat enemies to fight, same poo poo npr models everywhere.
Game starts at the end is not a good excuse I play games for fun throughout

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm slogging through artillery at level 21 and man... This game has the laziest quests and dullest drat enemies to fight, same poo poo npr models everywhere.

xiv is the exception to this rule, almost every mmo in existence is a slog till endgame to be honest

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Doublestep posted:

xiv GW2 is the exception to this rule, almost every mmo in existence is a slog till endgame to be honest

XIV had the sloggiest start of any mmo I ever tried. And then folks told me the usual yea but its gets really good after the 1st/2nd/3rd expansion, honest! :D

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

The enjoyable part of the leveling experience (39 right now) for me is seeing how my different skills work and interact. If you’re not finding that fun you may not have unlocked enough or you might just not like the class you chose.

You may also just… not like the game. Endgame-focused is one thing but if there’s nothing you enjoy about the core gameplay it’s not going to change that drastically.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lost Ark feels very much like playing AION or TERA in terms of overall presentation to me for some reason. The plot is little more than set dressing, and the systems I've encountered so far are very confusing, like there was zero thought put into how they're introduced to the player.

Cards? Rapport? Amethyst Crystals? What are these things? Why should I care about them? How do they work? Why am I getting cards for sets that seemingly do not exist for equipping? What are they for? Why give them to me if they're not relevant yet? Why do I need 150 potatoes to impress a lady? Where would I even get these items?

What else are you going to show me and then not teach me about, game?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Lost Ark feels very much like playing AION or TERA in terms of overall presentation to me for some reason. The plot is little more than set dressing, and the systems I've encountered so far are very confusing, like there was zero thought put into how they're introduced to the player.

Cards? Rapport? Amethyst Crystals? What are these things? Why should I care about them? How do they work? Why am I getting cards for sets that seemingly do not exist for equipping? What are they for? Why give them to me if they're not relevant yet? Why do I need 150 potatoes to impress a lady? Where would I even get these items?

What else are you going to show me and then not teach me about, game?

Every time I’ve tried to figure those kinds of things out the answer is usually that it doesn’t matter much and you should just punch things and save the world. Then maybe look up a YouTube video at lvl 50 that tells you what to punch next. The answer to that is chaos dungeons by the way

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
drat, I went from getting to level 17 without dying to some rear end in a top hat named Rudrick killing me like 25 times.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmfao

Power Bieber

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Tomb of the Great King was also a fun dungeon. Too bad the stuff in between hasn't been engaging as that! Seems like leveling as bard will be even nicer from level 30 onward since I can spec out both Dissonance and Soundholic for max damage.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game is kinda slow and boring up until the first proper dungeon, which is quite cool, and then the castle siege scenario which is Very Cool.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

When I use a targeted ability with a controller while enemies are around, the game will snap the cursor to one of the enemies. From that point, I can't move the cursor with either the mouse or the right stick. The game will keep automatically moving it back to the enemy it has chosen. Is there any setting I can change to prevent this behavior?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

Anyone know how hard to get Uncommon Class Exclusive engravings are? I want to unlock one of my Wardancer's specialties with the 20 books I have at 38ish, but it's not the endgame choice and I don't even know if it's going to be my main.

From that video the class engravings come in several tiers of rarity (green/uncommon is the first) so presumably The lower ones aren't too much. I only saw one scrapper book on the auction house and it was 20g, but I don't even really have any idea if that's a lot or not.

I think I only got like 3 of those books when I got to the castle the first time. I take it we get more at one point?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

How exactly does roster xp work for alts? Is it better to level them with quests to get more roster xp vs powerpass to 50, or is the roster xp on those a one time only thing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

edit: wait never mind I was looking at the wrong thing, please ignore this question

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2022

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After the cool castle siege bit the game dumps another like 50 systems and currencies on you and I dont know wtf is going on.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Mid 20s now. So I have better gear. Which, visually, means my shadowhunter now walks around in low cut short shorts with visible thong straps, garters, stockings, and stiletto heals...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bardeh posted:

After the cool castle siege bit the game dumps another like 50 systems and currencies on you and I dont know wtf is going on.

Yeah that hour or two after the siege was real rough. Just an absolute boring slog.