Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bailey let out a bark this morning :confused:

we were outside, not sure what she saw. this is the first bark since I got here haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh to have a greyhound that doesn't bark :allears:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby never barked either, but I've also been given ones that were extremely chill, even for the breed, given the fact that I live alone, don't have a yard, etc. A greyhound that was more uh.... zany? I could see being more likely to bark

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie was a barker - she used to get too excited when sneaking up on squirrels and start barking and wonder why they’d run away before she got near them. What a goober :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So far Ella has only barked when super excited at playtime, at dogs that harass her and sometimes at me for telling her majesty to sit before she gets her treat. Seriously, it’s hilarious to see her do this routine of wiggling backwards in protest every time before she sits. She can sit easily and swiftly at other times, but if I have a super nice treat she has to protest my demands before doing it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Tazo started barking initially in response to being harrassed by some neighbourhood dogs, then decided it was a good way to communicate with other dogs in general, once the adrenaline levels get pumped up a little (whether it's while having fun playing, or "leave me alone!"). He doesn't bark at me, and is instead dead silent with humans.

But he often barks while playing with Opal (or trying to play, anyway! Up until semi-recently, she hasn't been one for playing) on the rug, etc. which is good...unless it's in the middle of the night haha :v: But yeah, Opal used to just whine a lot and bark if she feels like she's being excluded from something. But nowadays she plays with Taz a lot and barks too, while playing. It's funny seeing how much they've picked up from one another, over the last year or so!

Also, here's a pic from last night. I'm not sure why she decided to sit like that, but she was perched there for a while, while I was watching netflix last night haha

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yep Hazel is also not a barker. Only when she has zoomies or very occasionally at other dogs.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile TODD has been alternating between his LOUD high pitched yipe, his regular grumbly growl, and his deep play bark trying to convince everyone to give him what he wants

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
One of the trivia themes for my online trivia league this week was greyhounds:

https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?3845

You should be able to see the questions without logging in.

I did okay, thanks to dogs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Never heard of the greyhound mixed drink but it’s obviously easy enough to try… Seems like a summer thing though

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
It’s a good brunch drink. If you put salt on the rim it becomes a “salty dog”

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Aardvark's Americana thread in GBS visited Abilene, Kansas with the Greyhound Hall of Fame:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice to read (saw in the trivia) that the US is winding down and phasing out Greyhound racing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice to read (saw in the trivia) that the US is winding down and phasing out Greyhound racing.

It’s virtually dead. Unfortunately it means greyhounds will be very rare going forward. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show dog, only ex-racers.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
When the scritches hit

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

david_a posted:

It’s virtually dead. Unfortunately it means greyhounds will be very rare going forward. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show dog, only ex-racers.

Yeah, it's a mixed bag in my opinion because greyhounds as a working breed are generally quite healthy. I think there should be a way to have racing done ethically, like if every dog has to have a retirement plan before they can race and with tighter regulations of tracks, but on balance it's probably better they're shut down

They just really love to run though :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there probably isn't any other dog breed I would get besides a greyhound, as all others are just so much more work. I've decided that if in the future they aren't really available as pets, that would be tough for me, but I'd rather that than racing continue.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I wonder how a greyhound-poodle mix would behave. Speed with brains...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’ll be really bummed out if breeders don’t pivot to family pet sales.

Though the nga will have to update their rules too since Akc was way easier to deal with.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, it's a mixed bag in my opinion because greyhounds as a working breed are generally quite healthy. I think there should be a way to have racing done ethically, like if every dog has to have a retirement plan before they can race and with tighter regulations of tracks, but on balance it's probably better they're shut down

They just really love to run though :(

In my uninformed opinion racing died because of the horrible legacy they left in decades past. We are very far away from that and I do think that modern racing in the US was reasonably ethical* but the damage to the public perception was already irreversible.

* no worse than horse racing IMO, for better or worse, which people don’t seem to be as down on

Veskit posted:

I’ll be really bummed out if breeders don’t pivot to family pet sales.

Though the nga will have to update their rules too since Akc was way easier to deal with.

I’m not sure how the market would work out. Most retired racers were an absolute bargain for a purebred dog (Katie’s fees were ~$450 IIRC). From what I’ve heard AKC puppies go for like $3,000.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

david_a posted:

I’m not sure how the market would work out. Most retired racers were an absolute bargain for a purebred dog (Katie’s fees were ~$450 IIRC). From what I’ve heard AKC puppies go for like $3,000.

Lemon was 1300 but since the market is so small it’s very possible that they’ll end up being in the higher ranges of akc dogs.

Nga is more expensive and takes more effort to register through though which is why I mentioned akc.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Veskit posted:

Lemon was 1300 but since the market is so small it’s very possible that they’ll end up being in the higher ranges of akc dogs.

Nga is more expensive and takes more effort to register through though which is why I mentioned akc.
Without racing, though, the champion pedigree may be worth less. I agree that they will continue to be on the high side of things though, considering that whippets will go for $2600 in the USA French bulldogs go for crazy amounts as do XL bullies. I guess we’ll have to wait for a greyhound-centric Hollywood movie. Prepare for the mailinois invasion after Dog comes out in February, because certainly the breed is naturally so chill and so behaved and comes perfectly trained.

What I mean to say is that by June, they’ll be the third- highest population in texas shelters behind pit bulls and huskys.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Man, people suck. Always makes me sad, when things like that happen and people just adopt a dog without thinking/planning, then just dump them at a shelter or roadside not long after :(

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Man, people suck. Always makes me sad, when things like that happen and people just adopt a dog without thinking/planning, then just dump them at a shelter or roadside not long after :(

Same, man. I have a friend who rescues dogs and she says there is a particular road in Cleveland, texas just off the interstate where people go to dump their unwanted dogs. Just throw them out of the car maybe with a small bag of food or something. It’s just a completely different mindset- one that I cannot even begin to understand.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I would be a massive shame if Greyhounds didn't continue as family pets (perfect dog for many, including me and my wife) because of racing stopping. I don't think I'd be interested in another breed now as I'm totally in love with Greyhounds. Speaking of popular breeds and prices, I've seen pretty much the same thing here in Sweden. There are a ton of "in fashion breeds" that people are selling. Both puppies and re-homing (and they still want $2500 despite being desperate to re-home). There was an article recently on the subject of inflated prices for dogs here where even a random mixed breed puppy could cost like $5000 IIRC. Insane.

Makes me even happier that we chose to get a rescue dog. We paid like $700 which goes to the shelter so they can keep going.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Regarding racing ending, there are uninformed people who think the dogs are “forced to run”. You cannot force a greyhound to do anything, they will simply statue. But those people vote for the bans.

Personably I understand that the tracks have cleaned up their acts, but the biggest negative of racing is the injuries. I’ve seen racing videos of dogs getting into accidents. Jody came to us with a missing toe. Jake had a huge bony knuckle on one foot with a toe that was barely flexible. Barley has scars all along her back legs, these are all indicative of racing injuries. Seeing the scars and imagining the pain they went through makes it tough to be pro racing.

That said I still occasionally throw down a bet at an OTB if I happen to be there. I agree it’s going to indicate a decline for the breed, which is pretty unfortunate.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Rough day for Teedo yesterday, five seizures despite medication

Thankfully he seems fine now, being his usual annoying self but I felt bad for the poor guy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear about that, did you know about the seizures when you got him?

here is bailey yesterday with her collection

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

sorry to hear about that, did you know about the seizures when you got him?

here is bailey yesterday with her collection

Yeah we knew, we'd hoped we'd cracked it when he went a month without one but they've come back with a vengeance this month

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Teedo :smith: at least he’s in the best hands possible. you’re good people DH

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Teedo :smith: at least he’s in the best hands possible. you’re good people DH

Maybe you could tell Teedo that

I'm currently not feeding him and therefore basically Hitler

Edit:

https://youtu.be/SeIZokJwA7I

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 15, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie skipped breakfast yesterday since she woke me up early needing to go out, and had loose stools all weekend. She protested a lot but her zoomies failed to persuade me.

I made it up to her with a romantic valentines dinner of oatmeal, boiled eggs, canned pumpkin, and nonfat Greek yoghurt. I had to pace her so she didn’t inhale it in milliseconds.

She also made me a valentines card yesterday with the help of the daycare, it was very cute :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my god I almost wish I sent them to daycare so I got this sort of thing

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you forgot the pic of the card

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh, ok…

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Valentine girl is currently sleep running and woofing softly

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I love sleep woofs

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I love sleep woofs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like how Ella fully commits to ruthlessly killing her carrot.