Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

joepinetree posted:

Mid 20s now. So I have better gear. Which, visually, means my shadowhunter now walks around in low cut short shorts with visible thong straps, garters, stockings, and stiletto heals...

This is such a stark contrast from the very intentional non-sexualized character design in new world, it feels like such an odd choice of a game for Amazon to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's not really like there are many unlocalized potentially lucrative MMOs out there. Lost Ark is pretty much it.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Does anyone else feel like they run into poo poo more often than in other games?

I feel like I’m constantly getting stuck on geometry messing up my dodge and dash abilities. Idk if it’s because things aren’t as visually distinct or if there’s just way more rocks or impassable shrubs or w/e than usual. Or maybe because the maps are so narrow? Anyway, that’s my petty complaint. I’m just trying to walk around, man.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

admanb posted:

Anyone know how hard to get Uncommon Class Exclusive engravings are? I want to unlock one of my Wardancer's specialties with the 20 books I have at 38ish, but it's not the endgame choice and I don't even know if it's going to be my main.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I've leveled to 50 doing some sidequests I saw that gave class engraving books, and I've done some of the islands that also give books, and I've only gotten exactly 20 uncommon class books so far. Might be best to only use the class books on the spec that you know you want to use.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

Hefty posted:

Does anyone else feel like they run into poo poo more often than in other games?

I feel like I’m constantly getting stuck on geometry messing up my dodge and dash abilities. Idk if it’s because things aren’t as visually distinct or if there’s just way more rocks or impassable shrubs or w/e than usual. Or maybe because the maps are so narrow? Anyway, that’s my petty complaint. I’m just trying to walk around, man.

I've definitely noticed this. It just seems like the hit box (collision?) on everything is way bigger than it appears visually.

I'm really enjoying the game so far after knowing nothing about it up until 2 days ago. Currently around level 32. The game so far just seems like a way better version of diablo to me. Looking forward to the endgame.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How crazy is this game with the hundreds of crafting resources that seem to plague all MMOs? Can I largely ignore a bunch of the stuff and just focus on numbers go up monsters go splat?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

How crazy is this game with the hundreds of crafting resources that seem to plague all MMOs? Can I largely ignore a bunch of the stuff and just focus on numbers go up monsters go splat?

There are a particularly egregious number of resources and currencies in this game. I don't have a clue what most of them do. At least for the levelling experience I have been entirely ignoring all of them.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

gently caress those seagulls.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Someone needs to mod it in so you can duck hunt the seagulls while waiting in the queue.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Doesn't seem to be too many people here who played much of the KR/RU versions so most of those end/late-game questions end up unanswered. If you go to the crafting inventory tab it doesn't actually appear that there are too many types. Mining for example only has eight total entries, and half of those appear to be stronghold-related, so the trees you chop at level 10 might give end up giving you the same poo poo as the trees you chop at level 50. Why there are individual levels on top of that, I don't know.

As for their uses, I think it's primarily stronghold stuff. Which might be theoretically optional but I'm assuming having an upgraded stronghold will assist in churning out crafts and endgame gear exchange doodads - which there are a lot of.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played this for about 3 hours yesterday, went Martial Artist because its the last picked class, not sure how I feel yet, the game is utterly gorgeous and the combat feels so kinetic but everything is a bit too self serious "you are the chosen one" type of shtick. I'm definitely having fun though

My buddy who was huge into the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance games has been yearning for a more modern and similar style of game so I'm gonna download it on my laptop and he's coming round for a sesh on Friday night so we can make our minds up

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

gently caress those seagulls.

At least you can access the settings menu and mute ambient noise while in queue

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tortolia posted:

At least you can access the settings menu and mute ambient noise while in queue

Mute the voices while you are at it also

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looking forward to trying this, I'm almost hyped enough to pay $15 now to play today but i think I'm gonna wait to make sure I like it first. Is it dumb to go with a support class like a bard as my first character? I'll be playing with a friend most likely and always like playing as healers/support but if it's going to suck leveling then maybe I won't bother.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Is it dumb to go with a support class like a bard as my first character? I'll be playing with a friend most likely and always like playing as healers/support but if it's going to suck leveling then maybe I won't bother.

Not at all dumb, no. You'll be able to do plenty of damage to get through all the solo leveling stuff. Same for Paladin. Both classes have lots of damage skills and leveling builds put skill points into those so you do more damage. You won't really start seriously sacrificing damage for support in a build until endgame when you start getting into engravings and stuff, I'm pretty sure.

It's actually your support abilities that you tend to have to wait for higher levels for. IIRC both Paladin and Bard have pretty limited support at low levels so you'll mostly just be acting like a DPS for the early levels anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Harrow posted:

Not at all dumb, no. You'll be able to do plenty of damage to get through all the solo leveling stuff. Same for Paladin.

It's actually your support abilities that you tend to have to wait for higher levels for. IIRC both Paladin and Bard have pretty limited support at low levels so you'll mostly just be acting like a DPS for the early levels anyway.

Cool, thanks. Paladin/Bard are pretty much the two choices if I wanted to go that route then?

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Has anyone else messed around with the controller bindings? I bound top row skills to LT and bottom row to RT and that feels decent, but I'm thinking there has got to be a better way that makes me feel less dyslexic. Maybe binding the two lowest cd skills to Y & B? There are a lot of options. Thoughts?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Cool, thanks. Paladin/Bard are pretty much the two choices if I wanted to go that route then?

Yeah, right now Paladin and Bard are the only two supports. There's another that I think recently came out in Korea (or is coming out soon) but who knows when it'll come to NA/EU.

This video was really helpful for me to decide which one I wanted to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvOEInEE-M

Both classes are really good and equally desired in groups, so it just comes down to which one you think you'd have more fun playing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Harrow posted:

Both classes are really good and equally desired in groups, so it just comes down to which one you think you'd have more fun playing.

Thanks! The video was helpful, thinking Bard right now because I like the complexity as someone who played a lot of HH in Monster Hunter but I have a day to think about it so we'll see where I land tomorrow.

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.
Anyone playing a Gunlancer? I'm only 24 but my durability vs. damage does not feel very good...especially compared to my friend's Sorceress who vaporizes everything. I assume later abilities make him feel better?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Virigoth posted:

Mute the voices while you are at it also

*Grunts in background*

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Murder Noveau posted:

Anyone playing a Gunlancer? I'm only 24 but my durability vs. damage does not feel very good...especially compared to my friend's Sorceress who vaporizes everything. I assume later abilities make him feel better?

Its pretty slow in the beginning but ramps up pretty well.

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/gunlancer-leveling-guide I used this build while leveling and melted most things.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Bard is fun if you don't mind the mage outfits and animations. I couldn't play minstrel in Lord of the Rings Online because of all the jarring chords and shouts but I actually like it on this class, especially when the notes explode a clump of enemies. I'll be starting a paladin next to try, and have a shadowhunter since I heard they are fun and easy. I'll probably level those three up the slow way since I'm having fun with them.

I solved my rubberbanding issues by ditching my wifi for an ethernet cable. No brainer, but I'd never had any notable mmo lag before this game. Going physical connection cleared it right up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gunlancer looks absurd later on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXL173q4Kg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I appreciate about Paladin is that you actually want to build Swiftness as part of a good support build. I'm so used to Paladins in other MMOs being really immobile and slow, so it's refreshing to be zipping around all over the place with really fast movement and attack speed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont mind the anime grunts in this game because they have several different intonations per cast so they dont always get super repetitive like it is in other games. Specially anime fightning games.

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.

DurosKlav posted:

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/gunlancer-leveling-guide I used this build while leveling and melted most things.

Thank you both!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The way that the dodge completely halts if you touch a wall with even a single pixel is annoying me way more than you'd think.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont mind the anime grunts in this game because they have several different intonations per cast so they dont always get super repetitive like it is in other games. Specially anime fightning games.

Forgive me if you weren't responding to me but i was talking more about the NPC grunting and moaning, rather than the PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

Thank you! I don't need a guide for this class just yet, but I was wondering about a good site for looking up leveling builds.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Man no health potions in guardian raids is rough when you haven’t learned the boss yet. The ilvl 340 one put me in the dirt fast

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Nothing is more video game than a boss acting super cocky after I just got done turning 500 of their men into chunks.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Brass posted:

Has anyone else messed around with the controller bindings? I bound top row skills to LT and bottom row to RT and that feels decent, but I'm thinking there has got to be a better way that makes me feel less dyslexic. Maybe binding the two lowest cd skills to Y & B? There are a lot of options. Thoughts?

I don't have a good answer but I didn't realize you could rebind the bottom row skills to the RT so maybe my ffxiv controller using rear end can make a proper attempt at it after all. So thanks!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Good Citizen posted:

Man no health potions in guardian raids is rough when you haven’t learned the boss yet. The ilvl 340 one put me in the dirt fast
I thought you could use green/blue/purple potions in those? Just not the common ones that heal a fixed amount.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

I don't have a good answer but I didn't realize you could rebind the bottom row skills to the RT so maybe my ffxiv controller using rear end can make a proper attempt at it after all. So thanks!

I was thinking about just setting it up completely like xiv in that same "+" layout but I also occasionally play with my m&k and it'd completely gently caress the keybinds. Wish you could swap layouts as easily as xiv :(

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sindai posted:

I thought you could use green/blue/purple potions in those? Just not the common ones that heal a fixed amount.

You’re probably correct and i just missed that. I’ll keep that in mind when my tries refresh tomorrow

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
After a lot of class testing I’m now torn between berserker or, oddly, sharpshooter. I feel like it’s super lame to use a bow and arrow when I have other options available but also it’s fun.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Playing Gunlancer while also playing Path of Exile is pretty harsh on my dopamine receptors

as in, I'll level Gunlancer with powerpass because it's unbearable

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Thumbtacks posted:

After a lot of class testing I’m now torn between berserker or, oddly, sharpshooter. I feel like it’s super lame to use a bow and arrow when I have other options available but also it’s fun.

Bow is good. Also you spend more time close up than you’d think because that spin attack is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think gunlancer is gonna be my first boost. Seems real slow at the start but so strong at 50.