Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Captain Charisma posted:

That angle is wild, was he down low or were you up high?
First it started up in this tree - maybe like, 20 ft high?

Then it moved into some shrubbery near by and I kind of tracked it down and it was near on eye level

Then the photo I originally posted where it's maybe like, 5 ft above my eye level?

It was pretty cool to track down the soaring hawk into these different spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Red tails love standing on posts and small trees and such at around eye level. They tend to not be too bothered by humans, as long as you aren't standing like 10 feet away and staring directly at them.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
This is my first time, be gentle.

I know they're not very exciting, but I always like American Robins. The branches made this shot busy as poo poo and I'm getting used to my new Fujinon XF 90mm. Great lens, but had a little trouble getting focus right on the bird with a more open aperture.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

And some Mallards... I like the one with the duck's head coming up because you can see the surface tension of the water.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Birds in branches is pretty challenging. I don't really have a trick besides just trying to be mindful of the composition and not shooting when there's obviously something in the way of the bird, or waiting for the bird to emerge to the front/edge of the bush. I will say the eye-detect AF sometimes helps, although there are times I have to nudge it into roughly the right focus.

First time out for a week or two...

Wildcat Wrentit-1832 on Flickr

This one was in shady winter woodland and I can not figure out the color temp

Wildcat Junco2-1826 on Flickr

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It is said among my birding group that we'd be super excited about seeing robins and mallards (and starlings) if they weren't so ridiculously common. They're all very pretty birds! (they are not house sparrows, which have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever)

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

As a non-American I love seeing American robins because they're unusual and exciting to me :kimchi:

On a holiday to New York I saw a pair of cardinals in Central Park and got extremely excited, which a local guy sitting on a bench nearby found very funny.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It is said among my birding group that we'd be super excited about seeing robins and mallards (and starlings) if they weren't so ridiculously common. They're all very pretty birds! (they are not house sparrows, which have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever)

Ya - I’m not much of a wildlife photographer so they make good practice. They’re used to humans and they don’t spook too easily.

I originally went out to see if I could get a half decent shot of the Bald Eagle that’s been hanging out on top of this structure by the water.

There’s a park near me that all the birding nerds go to that I should check out. I bet there’s more interesting stuff there.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It just makes you have to work harder to get standout photos of them, the right pose and light will do wonders for the common beauty's, even house sparrows.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2022

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Here are some backyard birds. Not the best quality because all of these photos are taken through closed (and dirty) windows on a crop sensor camera.

Red-bellied woodpecker likes suet.

Northern mockingbird likes suet too.

Carolina wrens also like suet.

And red-tailed hawks like squirrel.

We feed all the birds.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Good stuff everyone! Here's some from my recent outings:

Western Bluebirds.

Resident Harrier on the prowl.

Red Shouldered Hawk eyeing me

Pretty sure this is a Yellow Rumped Warbler

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

Pretty sure this is a Yellow Rumped Warbler

Fascinating that this is also a Yellow Rumped Warbler - The book I'm reading right now (Kingbird Highway) talks about how in the early 70s, the Myrtle, Audubon's, Mexican black-fronted, and Goldman's merged into the same form

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Fascinating that this is also a Yellow Rumped Warbler - The book I'm reading right now (Kingbird Highway) talks about how in the early 70s, the Myrtle, Audubon's, Mexican black-fronted, and Goldman's merged into the same form

I looked in my field guide and online for a bit and I couldn't find a better fit than yellow rumped. The one I captured was the palest one I've ever seen. Others I have seen before like below are more like your capture.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh I didn't mean it passive aggressively! I meant that they're both Yellow Rumped and that's neat!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

It just makes you have to work harder to get standout photos of them, the right pose and light will do wonders for the common beauty's, even house sparrows.

If I were a richer man I would buy a 70-200 2.8 just to shoot sparrows

House sparrow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sorbus posted:

If I were a richer man I would buy a 70-200 2.8 just to shoot sparrows

Lovely work, they are really charismatic birds, we have 2-3 breeding pairs and big rabble of them around the garden, they are always chasing each other around, splashing in the bird baths, and then in summer they have huge communal dust baths.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

nice! lots of song sparrows on the coast around here. i took this shot last week:

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Oh I didn't mean it passive aggressively! I meant that they're both Yellow Rumped and that's neat!

Haha I didn't interpret it that way. It's definitely neat how different they are but still the same species. I was just surprised on how pale it was that I couldn't figure it out at first so I had to research it to figure it out.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Can I get in on the hot sparrow action?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sparrow!

Miller Knox shoreline white crown-2424 on Flickr

And some other lame birds

Miller Knox Egret fish-2661 on Flickr

Miller Knox oysterrcatcher limpet-2139 on Flickr

adorable little cackling goose

Miller Knox cackling goose-2915 on Flickr

Slotducks posted:

There's a lot of interest in this among biologists. The various ice ages caused the populations to become separated and then when the ice age lifts they come back together. Yellow-rumps are on the edge of maybe being separate enough retain their differences, and maybe not. Super interesting if you are an evolutionary biologist trying to understand what species are and how they form, but frustrating to birders who want a stable taxonomy.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Sparrow!

Miller Knox shoreline white crown-2424 on Flickr

And some other lame birds

Miller Knox Egret fish-2661 on Flickr

Miller Knox oysterrcatcher limpet-2139 on Flickr

adorable little cackling goose

Miller Knox cackling goose-2915 on Flickr

There's a lot of interest in this among biologists. The various ice ages caused the populations to become separated and then when the ice age lifts they come back together. Yellow-rumps are on the edge of maybe being separate enough retain their differences, and maybe not. Super interesting if you are an evolutionary biologist trying to understand what species are and how they form, but frustrating to birders who want a stable taxonomy.

You might want to check your white balance.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

You might want to check your white balance.

Thanks, I just checked and somehow it got shifted to Tungsten. I've noticed I'll occasionally bump the drive on my R6 to timer or some other setting when my camera is swinging around. Maybe I knocked it off AWB too.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thanks, I just checked and somehow it got shifted to Tungsten. I've noticed I'll occasionally bump the drive on my R6 to timer or some other setting when my camera is swinging around. Maybe I knocked it off AWB too.

If you shot these in raw you should be able to easily correct the white balance in post. I make this mistake all the time when I go between my studio lights at work and outdoors.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was a whole day's photos so I was able to fix them all with a couple of clicks in Lightroom. I just haven't gotten around to re-exporting any of them.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got a shot of a great grey shrike taking a dump :haw: Hope I have time to edit and upload it tonight.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
A few lesser redpolls who were feasting on a tree outside my front door the other morning (and were a lot less dopey than these pictures make them look):

Lesser redpolls by Owlkill, on Flickr

Lesser Redpolls by3 Owlkill, on Flickr

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 12, 2022

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Finally I can call myself a bird photographer:

Great grey shrike by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Me, I like my yard bird juncos.

Looking to the future by B. B., on Flickr

Just Chillin by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Point Molate spotted sandpiper-3244 on Flickr

I tried some slow shutter speed shots of the sandpiper in the surf but nothing really came out very well. That's a fidgety bird.

Today in my neighborhood:
Gyuto Song Sparrow Currant-3463-2 on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sweet.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I think I saw him at the summer olympics in the 100m butterfly

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm always in awe when someone takes *very* good photos of very common birds like Mallards and Swans.
Kudos! Great shots!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is a complete shot in the dark, but I've asked everyone I know and nobody can come closer than a bird who only lives in central asia.

I live in the thumb area of Michigan, between a forested swamp and a lake.
Today I saw, and nearly took a photo of, a large navy blue bird with speckled wings and a long thin and blunt yellow-orange beak.

He was a dull navy color, no aqua, no petroleum sheen. Had speckles of maybe white and brown on the wing. Was the size of a flicker, maybe a bit smaller. Was perched where they often do so the size comparison was easy to make. His beak was long and round at the end, no hook, no point. Vaguely crow shaped, vaguely flicker shaped

Must have been a vagrant, or a migrant, it was no common bird feeder bird, I'd never seen one like this in my life.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

If you want to cast a wider net and ask at https://old.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbird/

My first guess is a weird version of a European Starling but it's probably not that.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Slotducks posted:

If you want to cast a wider net and ask at https://old.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbird/

My first guess is a weird version of a European Starling but it's probably not that.

Thank you, posted it. Not spiky or small enough to be a starling. Also I went through my whole little NA bird audobon book and there is no one like this MF

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2022

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is a complete shot in the dark, but I've asked everyone I know and nobody can come closer than a bird who only lives in central asia.

I live in the thumb area of Michigan, between a forested swamp and a lake.
Today I saw, and nearly took a photo of, a large navy blue bird with speckled wings and a long thin and blunt yellow-orange beak.

He was a dull navy color, no aqua, no petroleum sheen. Had speckles of maybe white and brown on the wing. Was the size of a flicker, maybe a bit smaller. Was perched where they often do so the size comparison was easy to make. His beak was long and round at the end, no hook, no point. Vaguely crow shaped, vaguely flicker shaped

Must have been a vagrant, or a migrant, it was no common bird feeder bird, I'd never seen one like this in my life.

Definitely larger than a robin? There are a few Central/South American thrush species that could fit that description and that's where my mind goes to with that beak description and hanging out with flickers. Can't think of anything in North America that'd be medium-to-large, blue, and with yellow beaks.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
we had a big thaw here last week, and there were a few seagulls foraging in the marsh area of this trail, where I never really see them on the ground. the crows were not having it.

managed this halfway decent shot with an old adapted pentax 150mm, which has the best focus ring i've ever used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just found a rather quiet people-less location that is just full of small birds. It’s heaven :laugh: