Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Starsfan posted:

At my previous job they had to take the municipal logos off the side of the fleet vehicles because they were getting shot at out in the sticks by hillbillies.. If I were an employee of an organization that the chuds were pissed at, I would also prefer not to have identifying marks on the vehicle I had to drive around.

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
according to Health Canada, this meets the minimum nutritional requirements to be considered a take.

quote:

Opinion:

Let’s have a frank talk about protest movements and the freedom convoy, shall we?

You may not like the inconvenience or noise, but protest is an important part of democracy. Even protests that are unruly and highly disruptive — in other words, where laws are broken in the commission of the protest — are important expressions of democratic principle.

As a result, law breaking does not, in and of itself, delegitimize a protest.

When protesters break a law, it’s a calculated risk to bring attention to an idea. Many genuinely legitimate protest movements have involved property damage and other illegalities.

Many genuinely legitimate protest movements have involved property damage and other illegalities.

And while we’re at it, let’s remember that property damage is not violence. It is the act of defacing or destroying something — not someone. As we saw just over a year ago in Washington, D.C., a protest is still a protest until it becomes a violent insurrection. And then, it’s no longer a protest.

With these principles in mind, it’s hard to support the recent hysterics originating from the mayors of Ottawa and Winnipeg, both of whom have demanded police end the protests by force. Sorry, but the convoys have not done anything yet that requires an armed response to remove them from their encampments.

That said, even though we should all have an equal right to protest, there is a point at which protests start to lose their legitimacy.

Protest movements have a responsibility to ensure their causes are not overshadowed by their tactics or ugly, underlying ideology. And the risk of a protest becoming delegitimized is high; most protests are defined by their weakest links and most extreme actions, even if they don’t represent the gross majority of people involved.

The dilemma posed by the freedom convoy is not necessarily what they have done to date. But what many Canadians fear it might mean in the future.

Some convoy participants displayed Nazi and Confederate flags, universal symbols of hate. A geometric symbol with origins in antisemitism was marked in the snow outside Manitoba’s Legislative Building. In Ottawa, downtown residents have been harassed by protesters, some of whom have spewed venom at local business owners, people of colour and those wearing masks.

Are these incidents the work of outliers, or a reflection of what this protest is really all about? In this instance, there are very real concerns that the protest is really just a Trojan Horse for some really ugly ideas.

B.J. Dichter, one of the two people who founded the now-disabled GoFundMe campaign to raise money for the convoy, has a long record of hateful comments about "political Islamists." At a 2019 People’s Party of Canada convention, Dichter ranted on about how "Islamist entryism and the adaptation of political Islam is rotting away our society like syphilis."

There are very real concerns that the protest is really just a Trojan Horse for some really ugly ideas.

Patrick King, another convoy opinion leader, circulated toxic comments on social media about "the depopulation of the Caucasian race." Jason LaFace, another organizer for the convoy in Ontario, has authored numerous racist and homophobic comments and images, some of which feature the insignia of the Soldiers of Odin, an anti-immigration movement first started in Finland.

The inconvenient truth here is that the convoy, and the People’s Party of Canada with which it is so closely associated, are not being infiltrated by extreme views; they are forums for extreme views.

At their cores, both the protest and the party embrace rabid libertarianism, an ideology that effortlessly embraces racism and white supremacy. Notwithstanding that truth, the convoy organizers have gone to hilarious lengths to keep the "extremists-are-outliers" fantasy alive.

I’ll admit to chuckling a bit when convoy organizers announced an internal network to report and expel extremists from their ranks. I’m a bit skeptical that rabid libertarians of any discipline will flood a snitch line to rat out extremists within the convoy. But I could be wrong.

All of this brings us back to a discussion about protest movements, legitimacy and — perhaps most important — effectiveness.

The freedom convoy is not illegitimate because it is disrupting life around Parliament Hill or the Manitoba legislature by blocking traffic and honking horns. However, it’s also not destined to be effective.

Most Canadians see the convoy for what it really is: a thinly veiled marketing campaign for toxic ideologies that conflate perverse theories of personal freedom with a twisted definition of democracy.

Refusing to be vaccinated is not an act of freedom. It’s selfishness in the face of an existential threat.

But as silly and stupid as all that is, it does not erase their right to protest.

The freedom convoy and all of its potential for intolerance and hate should be treated as a legitimate form of protest. Right up until it is not.

I have memorized a monologue uttered by actor Michael Douglas in the 1995 film, The American President. Douglas’s character, President Andrew Shepherd, is losing an election to a toxic populist. He finally goes on the attack at a news conference at which he discusses principles of freedom and democracy.

"You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing centre stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

The freedom convoy and all of its potential for intolerance and hate should be treated as a legitimate form of protest. Right up until it is not.

The value of this convoy is a reminder of something many of us already knew: democracy is most definitely a bitch.

dan.lett@winnipegfreepress.com

Dan Lett

Columnist

END.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Some dipshit bootlicker posted:

With these principles in mind, it’s hard to support the recent hysterics originating from the mayors of Ottawa and Winnipeg, both of whom have demanded police end the protests by force. Sorry, but the convoys have not done anything yet that requires an armed response to remove them from their encampments.

Maybe some people should park their vehicles and honk their horns and let loose with a train horn all day and night long and see if he still feels that way. After all, "tHeY'rE not ViOlAtInG aNy LaWs!!!!"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks for posting that garbage that I feel sorry for reading so where does that rear end in a top hat think the line is for a protest to lose legitimacy since he just said being a forum for hate doesn't qualify anyway I give his essay 45% and please do not resubmit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Thanks for posting that garbage that I feel sorry for reading so where does that rear end in a top hat think the line is for a protest to lose legitimacy since he just said being a forum for hate doesn't qualify anyway I give his essay 45% and please do not resubmit

the line is when he doesn't agree with them

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

eXXon posted:

Dan Lett is the Contrarian Conscience of Manitoba. I think he's having trouble figuring out a contrarian position on this one that doesn't make him look bad. this article is the smoke coming out of the android brain when confronted with an impossible logic puzzle.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

The print shop I work at is full of sticker, sign and banner orders for Albertans heading to join the border shenanigans. Lots of make canada great again. #WeTheFringe stickers. Just tonnes of work making exclamations of impotent rage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"winnipeg free press" lol

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
dan letts best work was being victor in made in canada and it’s been downhill ever since

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

The print shop I work at is full of sticker, sign and banner orders for Albertans heading to join the border shenanigans. Lots of make canada great again. #WeTheFringe stickers. Just tonnes of work making exclamations of impotent rage.

Delay them all.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nofx - the decline

*slams door to room and a NIN poster falls off the wall*

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water
There is a lot of space between "doing absolutely nothing" and "kettling and tear gassing, as is tradition." Most people would be happy with parking tickets, fine enforcement, and towing unoccupied vehicles.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Delay them all.

My boss and his wife fully support those idiots, they actually get bumped to the top of the pile. 5 more years until I hit da bricks sadly.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

dan letts best work was being victor in made in canada and it’s been downhill ever since

Holy gently caress THAT'S Dan Letts? Victor was an incredible character.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Unless this happened more than once, I was standing right there when the incident she describes (the guy standing in front of her truck) occurred, with someone blocking their truck. It was on Yonge just north of Dundas, at like 5:30PM. And it was over as quickly as it started; two people got out of the truck cab to try to fight the guy and the police were on them right away. There was no time for 'a crowd' to gather, just about a dozen people on either side of the street whipping out their cellphones.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1491812687877222401?s=20&t=zQA2RlcgjC694OLmcF8tgA

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

hey, it takes a solid weekend of honking to earn that badge.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

as with usual these days, this is at once hilarious but also extremely ominous

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
lol there’s gonna be Tiananmen Square in my home town. what a time to be alive

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

these people are completely loving unhinged

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Randalor posted:

Maybe some people should park their vehicles and honk their horns and let loose with a train horn all day and night long and see if he still feels that way. After all, "tHeY'rE not ViOlAtInG aNy LaWs!!!!"

They actually are violating the laws but for some reason since they are protesting they are not allowed to be arrested? According to this guy and the Winnipeg police

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently if it's a legitimate protest the body politic has no way to even try to shut that whole thing down.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

these people are completely loving unhinged
these are people who try to fight a person 10 inches taller than them in hopes they'll be caught on video getting belted in the head

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hey did AB and SK just abruptly drop vaccine mandates and masks? I half-glimpsed a headline.

What the gently caress? I read a paper someone linked in the covid thread that said adjusted for population Canada saved 100k lives by not following the American path. We’re disregarding all of that… why exactly?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Hey did AB and SK just abruptly drop vaccine mandates and masks? I half-glimpsed a headline.

What the gently caress? I read a paper someone linked in the covid thread that said adjusted for population Canada saved 100k lives by not following the American path. We’re disregarding all of that… why exactly?

number go down and we need number go up

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's time to kill!!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

pretty much every province has announced plans to end mandates in the spring, if you’re conservative why not do it a little early to validate the protesters and put pressure on Trudeau?

Doug obvi can’t do that because it looks like capitulation, but I bet Manitoba follows suit soon

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

tianamen square tank man standing in front of a convoy of trucks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Starks posted:

Doug obvi can’t do that because it looks like capitulation, but I bet Manitoba follows suit soon

Doug is doing exactly that and calling it capitulation

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-premier-doug-ford-considering-speeding-up-reopening-timeline-sources-say-1.5775791

quote:

Ontario would become the latest province to speed up the COVID-19 exit plan — a direct result of the Ottawa occupation and bridge blockades by groups vehemently opposed to pandemic related restrictions.

gently caress i hate that rancid talking sack of wet ham

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Starks posted:

pretty much every province has announced plans to end mandates in the spring, if you’re conservative why not do it a little early to validate the protesters and put pressure on Trudeau?

JK is trying to save his leadership which is more important than the health of Albertans as well.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1491841120933974018?s=21

Ram Ranch making international headlines

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
so what happens when we drop the mandates (which was always going to happen soon anyway) and the idiots don’t disperse?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

proud to be a minor footnote in internet history :canada:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cold on a Cob posted:

so what happens when we drop the mandates (which was always going to happen soon anyway) and the idiots don’t disperse?

freedom

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Sounds like if you protest long enough you can replace the government. Easy peasy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Cold on a Cob posted:

we dissolve parliament and replace it with a council of small business owners named gord

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

From pages ago but

Yes. Anyone who says they're the same also says Coke is identical to Pepsi to be edgy

Smarties the US candy that are like Rockets are good. Smarties the Nestle knock off M&M are trash. Peanut M&M's are high tier candy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
reeses pieces are best in that genre of candy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reese is king poo poo of any category it wants to be part of, it's not fair to compare anything to them