Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wow, the one hit kill move with the blades seems to work on anything that isn't a full on boss. I think you need the charged backhand unlocked to use it, or maybe it just uses the same input. Eye strike is good for creating an opening for it, but not required.

KidDynamite posted:

I think level 2 is that way because even with the shortcut you get 3 shrines. I haven't gotten past 4 yet so I don't know if that holds true for the rest of the game but:
level 1 shortcut has you skip 2 shrines
level 3 shortcut direct to boss has you skip 2 shrines or you can take the shortcut up the stairs to only skip 1

Are you sure about level 1? I thought that whether you took the shortcut or not you get two shrines, since there's one exclusive to the shortcut and one exclusive to the full route. Unless I'm missing one on the full route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you sure about level 1? I thought that whether you took the shortcut or not you get two shrines, since there's one exclusive to the shortcut and one exclusive to the full route. Unless I'm missing one on the full route.

ah didn't realize there was a shortcut exclusive one. The regular route has one before a wall you have to climb, the room with the twins, and the alley before the boss. Does the shortcut put two right before the boss?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I got this last night and I just want to gush

This is so obviously a love letter to martial arts movies made by people who ( judging by Absolver) always wanted to make this sorta game.

First off the tutorial being the opening credits as you take down imaginary versions of the bosses is Shaw Brothers as hell and I love it to pieces

The squats are 100% The Raid ( Fighting your way up a tenement building/drug den to face off against a short nutjob with a knife) and when it cuts into the Oldboy hallway fight I was grinning like an idiot

Still on the first boss but I'm excited to see what's next

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this game is so sick

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, the boss on level 2 is kind of obnoxious once he gets into his second phase. He's so insanely evasive that I only ever manage to get hits in when I do focus moves or he does one particular combo that he can't instantly jump out of.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 10, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

I got this last night and I just want to gush

This is so obviously a love letter to martial arts movies made by people who ( judging by Absolver) always wanted to make this sorta game.

First off the tutorial being the opening credits as you take down imaginary versions of the bosses is Shaw Brothers as hell and I love it to pieces

The squats are 100% The Raid ( Fighting your way up a tenement building/drug den to face off against a short nutjob with a knife) and when it cuts into the Oldboy hallway fight I was grinning like an idiot

Still on the first boss but I'm excited to see what's next

Oh it's chock-full of references to all sorts of martial arts movies. The third level has some Kill Bill references and probably more I don't quite recognize.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's also a secret move that is from Absolver. It's almost purely for style though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lobok posted:

There's also a secret move that is from Absolver. It's almost purely for style though.

I forget if it's just text or it's a model but some of the artifacts in the museum are from Absolver-land.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Man, the boss on level is kind of obnoxious once he gets into his second phase. He's so insanely evasive that I only ever manage to get hits in when I do focus moves or he does one particular combo that he can't instantly jump out of.

Sounds like Sean. Do you have any chase moves? I found those helped keep the pressure on him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Someone in here a few posts back said on Sean2 to not even bother to try to dodge the sweep since he'll only open with it so just block block evade his combo and that has worked incredibly well for me. Now the only deaths I take on that stupid loving fight are due to camera.

You can also get like a 30% damage combo on Artist1 if you take a knife into a fight. Crotch punch, heavy, heavy -> repeat gives a soft stunlock. I haven't been able to get to full damage with it but boy does it help.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know where the locked door in the club that you get a key for in the museum is? I've scoured the place and just can't find it, although I think I remember seeing it at least once.

Yang is hard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

I forget if it's just text or it's a model but some of the artifacts in the museum are from Absolver-land.

The move is related to one of them!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Perestroika posted:

Man, the boss on level 2 is kind of obnoxious once he gets into his second phase. He's so insanely evasive that I only ever manage to get hits in when I do focus moves or he does one particular combo that he can't instantly jump out of.

The trick to that fight to get it down faster? Fight fire with fire. They speed up, you speed up. In phase one, they have a pretty slow combo that's fairly predictable, and they dodge away slow. Over the course of the whole fight, it gets more dangerous, and you need to be able to control that. Always be attacking, and interrupt yourself to dodge or parry. Don't bother starting your counters with slow attacks, just use the fast ones and transition to bigger damage. Use the focus attacks for extending combos if you feel like it.

I am currently still trying to overwrite my club save before I move onto beating museum, but that means I have to get to museum at age 27 or below. The skills I want require getting 4000 score by the second shrine on stage 1 and boy am I getting in some practice lol

I am learning a lot about how to get a high score now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

signalnoise posted:

I am learning a lot about how to get a high score now

Do tell! I've never understood the scoring but assumed it has to do with speed, variety, and not taking damage but it's hard to actually know how it works.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play posted:

Do tell! I've never understood the scoring but assumed it has to do with speed, variety, and not taking damage but it's hard to actually know how it works.

I think each enemy has a point value and you just get that value times the multiplier when you beat them. Taking hits lower the multiplier, I know parrying and finishers raise it, there are probably other things that raise it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I keep thinking of this game as the spiritual successor to GODHAND and the reviews being the way they are all I need to validate me.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So far the biggest problem I have is the kickboxers in stage 2 (and a lone one in stage 1). They absolutely kick my rear end and I really struggle to land hits on them aaaaaaand they even dodge the random bricks and furniture I kick at them which is some real bullshit.

I am very fond of the ground-counter for when I gently caress up, and the throw for when I don't.

https://i.imgur.com/i41GBqq.mp4

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

You can taunt with the dpad, I dunno if it's all buttons but I just press right, when engaged with an enemy to raise your multiplier. Just be ready to parry or avoid out of it when they swing at you before the long animation finishes. If you taunt after finishing them off there's lines for it as well, but it's just for fun no bonuses there.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ha, I'd noticed the taunt but I hadn't realised it boosted your combo.

ground-counter looks like something I really need to start using

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

though confusing at first, the way the game uses age and skills and shortcuts to give you a reason to replay levels, which naturally makes you better without being frustrating, is very clever

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artist is one of the few times in a game like this I had to go to Youtube to figure out what the gently caress she's even doing. I have no idea if you're meant to weave around her stuff in either stage or just constantly sprint around and get your jabs in like the fight is O-renstein and Smough.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know where the locked door in the club that you get a key for in the museum is? I've scoured the place and just can't find it, although I think I remember seeing it at least once.

Yang is hard.

Haven't had a chance to try this myself as I just unlocked it last night but I remember where the door is.

After the group fight right as you enter the club and then the kicking woman that you fight on the dance floor, the door on the left side of the room will open and two more enemies come in. Next to the door that just opened is the locked door for that code. (Opposite side of the room from the keycard door you'd normally go through to start the shortcut route)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm trying to understand some plot elements here. Who are the "Guardians"? Are there two pendants?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Very nice :golfclap:

Also I think one of the game's hidden messages is that being able to dodge sweeps is the key to everything in life.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tirranek posted:

Very nice :golfclap:

Also I think one of the game's hidden messages is that being able to dodge sweeps is the key to everything in life.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Haven't had a chance to try this myself as I just unlocked it last night but I remember where the door is.

After the group fight right as you enter the club and then the kicking woman that you fight on the dance floor, the door on the left side of the room will open and two more enemies come in. Next to the door that just opened is the locked door for that code. (Opposite side of the room from the keycard door you'd normally go through to start the shortcut route)

That was it, thanks. Fun stuff in there!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I really need more attacks that hit grounded targets, the two punch and the sweep get a little samey.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I really need more attacks that hit grounded targets, the two punch and the sweep get a little samey.

What, are you too honourable to throw a glass bottle at someone's head when they're trying to get up?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Play posted:

It's actually ridiculously simple

If you aren't at 5x you are behind. You get to 5x by doing avoids or parries. For parries, a better parry gives you more multiplier. That's right, parries have multiple levels of effect, and you can see how close you are to perfect by how much white is in your parry spark relative to the red. The best parry is a solid red dot and nothing else. Anyway, you also get your multiplier up by hitting things and killing things with your special kill move, but why bother doing that when you aren't 5x? Because here's the thing, score doesn't come from anything but kills and the multiplier. The highest score you can get by the end of the first stage oldboy hallway is 1500. That is the value of every enemy up to that point, multiplied by 5.

If you get hit, it drops your multiplier a pretty good bit, and if you really wanna get that high score, you'll wanna get that back up before you kill something again.

The way in which you kill something has nothing to do with how many points you get for it. Use the best move for the situation. That means doing perhaps dishonorable things to avoid taking damage, like tossing 30 paint-filled lightbulbs at a single person, but c'est la vie

Gave up on trying to best my old Club score. Finally managed to get through museum with an age I feel decent about (38) so I am willing to move on to Tower.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

like tossing 30 paint-filled lightbulbs at a single person

Ah, I see that you too are a person of culture

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

God I loving love this game it is the best game right now and I could probably write a decent goddamn essay on what makes a good actual beatemup with this game presented as the state-of-the-art and there are so many things I've discovered that I kind of want to share but I'm not sure if it's actually special or not or if its coming off as like some kind of narcissism posting my gameplay vids I just love this loving game

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It is very good. I'm really REALLY bad at sticking with/finishing games, even ones I like. This had me straight up hooked until I finished it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So for combos, do you smash L L L H as fast as you can, or do you wait for the character to actually complete each animation before pressing the subsequent one? It seems I am too slow many times to eek out even L L H (which is an easy combo that knocks weapons out of anyone’s hand).

I think my biggest problem with this game is defense. It’s excruciatingly frustrating at times because I feel like I am pressing all the buttons right but the game has other ideas, or I just start taking literally instantaneous hits from someone behind me or off camera. The enemies move twice as fast as sekiro enemies I swear to god there is zero reaction time sometimes. No joke this game makes me SO frustrated but I love games like this and so badly want to enjoy it.

I think a big problem for me is that I know I need to hold L1 and press down (or any other direction) but often my brain takes the orientation of the player on the screen, and thus changes slightly the direction I’m pushing the stick like subconsciously thinking “left/right” is “kind of up” because of where the player’s back is pointed. If that makes any sense. It’s almost like the game would make more sense if it was strictly old school 2D.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can block and press sideways to avoid attacks. Also block the first one or two then avoid or parry the last one, that's generally your best opportunity to strike back and your structure will generally (not always!!) hold up ok against attacks that aren't the end of a string.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

What, are you too honourable to throw a glass bottle at someone's head when they're trying to get up?

I... actually did stop using weapons. Not bottles though, that's a good one. I just wish I could axe kick them or something.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

signalnoise posted:

like tossing 30 paint-filled lightbulbs at a single person

Hell yes I was straight machinegunning those things around as soon as I realised they were throwable

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok I have the dumbest motherfucking question: HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STAND UP.

It was noticeable during fights where people could sweep you - I try to move the stick and just kind of sit there for a while. Then I start moving the stick AND mashing buttons and I roll in a random direction, occasionally throwing a limp dicked kick at someone. But during Artist2 it's extremely noticeable when I get taken down and sit there like a kindergartener during play time while she fills me with knives. Additionally, gently caress her whole fight I can't wait til some GDQ brain finds a way to clip her into rocks so you can pummel her for free cause I'm done with the first phase of her fight forever.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I chuckled at a bit at Level 3's shortcut because yeah this boss is hard here's the fight immediately from the start of the level

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

weekly font posted:

Ok I have the dumbest motherfucking question: HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STAND UP.

It was noticeable during fights where people could sweep you - I try to move the stick and just kind of sit there for a while. Then I start moving the stick AND mashing buttons and I roll in a random direction, occasionally throwing a limp dicked kick at someone. But during Artist2 it's extremely noticeable when I get taken down and sit there like a kindergartener during play time while she fills me with knives. Additionally, gently caress her whole fight I can't wait til some GDQ brain finds a way to clip her into rocks so you can pummel her for free cause I'm done with the first phase of her fight forever.

i think trigger dodge + direction rolls away and stands up, light or heavy do an attack, just moving the stick does nothing

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

i think trigger dodge + direction rolls away and stands up, light or heavy do an attack, just moving the stick does nothing

Okay I think I have a tendency to panic spam when I get dropped thinking I can just roll out and end up eating extra poo poo. I need to be more cognizant of what I'm doing when I get rocked but it's tough in a boss fight.

signalnoise posted:

Gave up on trying to best my old Club score. Finally managed to get through museum with an age I feel decent about (38) so I am willing to move on to Tower.

I just beat it at 45 but it was straight to the boss with a bat. I'd love to get some advice on bare-handed Artist especially phase one because I feel like there's no world where doing a full Museum run including the boss (and therefore getting all the shrines) is feasible for me at this point. She takes like triple damage from the bat and phase one is already awful as is. Real shame because phase 2 might be my favorite boss in the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I finished the Squats at level 21 after taking the shortcut before I realized that your statue choices are locked in by your lowest run so I spent like 3 hours yesterday trying to run the full thing without dying to set better statue unlocks, but I kept suffering at least one stupid death somewhere. So in resignation I started a new game figuring I’d at least get better unlocks even if I couldn’t get my age any lower and of course I finished it at age 20 on the first try.