Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

priznat posted:

It’s going to be interesting when the big xbox/MS game studios splash screen comes up on a playstation before a new cod or whatever.

No different than if you play The Show on gamepass and get the big ole Sony splash screen, with the playstation controller buttons all over it. MS is shooting themselves in the foot if they try to force stuff that popular to be xbox exclusive.

What i can see them doing is making gamepass avail for playstation and making them gamepass exclusive. Two years of gamepass is equal to the cost of a series S, and hardware is a loss leader, where SaaS rakes in money, especially when you already own the IP and don't have to pay licensing/distribution deals. Look at the current thing they have where you pay $25/mo to essenially rent to own your series S and get gamepass included. They're selling the console below MSRP (10/mo for 24 months is 240) to push the gamepass subscription.

i don't think they'll drop out of the console wars, but I can also see the end result being "we don't care what you play on, just pay us our $15/mo." At this point in the console's lifecycles, with so few console exclusives and crossplay being a big thing, most people i know side xbox or playstation just as much over things like preferring dashboard layout, or controller feel as game selection. Xbox isn't going to win over people who play ps5 because they vastly prefer the ps5 controller (the plural of anecdote is not anecdata, but IME its actually a really common driving force) well, ever, short of releasing a first party solution to let you use a ps5 controller on the xbox, they're never going to win over the people who prefer the way playstion lays out their menus, and for the vast majority of consumers, those things are actually the most important reasons to buy a console.

Remember that the vast majority of console purchases aren't hardcore gamers who care about exclusives, they're people who use the console for things like sports games, COD, and watching streaming poo poo because consoles actually handle things like managing profiles/logins really easy - rather than have to like surf through menus on netflix with a remote to get to my profile with my recommendations, on xbox or playstation it's literally just switch to my profile on the console and when i open the netflix app it opens on my profile. Will they switch if the games they love aren't available on their preferred system? Maybe for one generation, but if they don't like the feel of it, many of them will choose to just stop gaming as much and find other hobbies or just simply play at friend's houses when they wanna play, but not buy any future consoles cause they don't like it enough to do a lot of other things with it. MS would be penny wise and pound foolish to do that, its way more cost effective to instead drive people to gamepass and let them play on their console of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
CrossfireX might be the single worst new FPS game to hit the Xbox in at least the last five years. I feel like such an rear end in a top hat for being excited about this game. Nothing in this game works or feels right - the aiming is insanely floaty, the main menu is pretty much non-functional, pulling the trigger while ADS makes you stop looking down the sights, using ADS at all magically turns full-auto weapons into three-round burst guns, and trying to access the options menu while in game is like playing a game of Whack-A-Mole because literally anything that happens in-game will force the menu to close.

Maybe it's good on PC, I'll have to download it and try with M+KB. But trying to play this poo poo with a controller is an exercise in pain tolerance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cannot believe the game that got zero marketing is bad...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AA is for Quitters posted:

No different than if you play The Show on gamepass and get the big ole Sony splash screen, with the playstation controller buttons all over it. MS is shooting themselves in the foot if they try to force stuff that popular to be xbox exclusive.

I think this was a very specific case where MLB itself more or less mandated that the series be multiplatform.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gamepass is full of good games that got zero marketing imo

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Control had almost zero marketing before launch. It only got big afterwards through word-of-mouth and positive press. Although there sure was marketing by the time Ultimate Edition came around.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 10, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zat posted:

Control had almost zero marketing before launch. It only got big afterwards through word-of-mouth and positive press. Although there sure was marketing by the time Ultimate Edition came around.

it had more marketing than whatever this thing is

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zat posted:

it had a super good trailer . One of my favorite recent trailers. (recent? Sure)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you'd expect more from what's apparently the most played series in the world

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna install CrossfireX, I gotta see this for myself. Only 54GB!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crossfire has all the charm of a free ti play korean mmo and the singleplayer won't download yet

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

What’s goon consensus on the Xbox wireless headphones? Looking for something with Bluetooth so can connect to discord via phone for Sea of Thieves - alternatives are the pricier Steelseries 9 or Turtle Beach 700 and I’m not sure. Round ear cups look like a curious design choice but they are like £50 cheaper than the others…

(Alternatively there aren’t any viable ways to connect natively to Discord, are there?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flux Wildly posted:

What’s goon consensus on the Xbox wireless headphones? Looking for something with Bluetooth so can connect to discord via phone for Sea of Thieves - alternatives are the pricier Steelseries 9 or Turtle Beach 700 and I’m not sure. Round ear cups look like a curious design choice but they are like £50 cheaper than the others…

(Alternatively there aren’t any viable ways to connect natively to Discord, are there?)

Everyone I know who's used the Xbox headphones have had nothing but good things to say about them, and their mics have sounded crystal clear in games we've played together.

I've personally had bad experiences with several pairs of Turtle Beach 700s and can't recommend them in good faith.

Barudak posted:

I... I also bought it despite it being on game pass and having played it there. My first title doing that, my secret shame

Don't feel bad for doing that - I did the same with Hades. If you like a developer, feel free to throw some money their way to support their product.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

apparently I'm an idiot, and CrossfireX is a console exclusive. it isn't even out for PC. that makes all the UI and gameplay design choices at least 100000 times worse than I previously thought. god drat

that being said I'm still gonna play it because I am a masochist

Barudak posted:

Crossfire has all the charm of a free ti play korean mmo and the singleplayer won't download yet

it really does remind me of a much worse Alliance of Valiant Arms, which was one of my favorite goofy F2P shooter games for a while in the late 00s/early 10s

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 10, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flux Wildly posted:

I plug headphones into my controller OP. That's what the headphone jack is for. A wireless one might be nice but I don't want to charge batteries and a headset for my Xbox, I'd rather just do one. I have a wired 20th anniversary headset though and it's epic.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, CrossfireX is Xbox only for now, but I think there was talk about a PS4/PS5 version later.

First impressions of multiplayer since the campaign isn't accessible yet: This is CS 1.6 with clunky gamepad controls. The menu interface is a mouse interface - they just mapped the mouse to the analog stick and called it a day.

Impressively bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TieGuyTravis/status/1491690760021823492

another massive L for gamepass, sickened to see it again

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think that's a loss for game pass so much as a loss for whichever Korean shovelware company makes that. It's been around ten billion years and has always pretty much only played by Koreans, not because they like it but because they usually have huge ping to SEA servers in the big titles. It was a big deal like 5 years ago when a Korean team made it to the International in DotA 2 because they just straight up couldn't practice against anyone good without 300 ping lol.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Barudak posted:

Lost Ark is pretty cool.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Disposable Scud posted:

Lost Ark is pretty cool.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SteamyAmericanShrewVoteNay-4ESmJbmm9sJ-np25

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the good news is that the CrossfireX campaign is quite literally a completely different game and actually feels really good, if a bit basic. I am having much more fun in the singleplayer than I am in that piece of poo poo dumpster fire multiplayer mode. the devs already posted on twitter like "oh yeah we know the game freakin sucks. we won't have a patch out for at least four weeks, cya dipshits" so overall it's been a pretty solid launch

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

barnold posted:

the good news is that the CrossfireX campaign is quite literally a completely different game and actually feels really good, if a bit basic. I am having much more fun in the singleplayer than I am in that piece of poo poo dumpster fire multiplayer mode. the devs already posted on twitter like "oh yeah we know the game freakin sucks. we won't have a patch out for at least four weeks, cya dipshits" so overall it's been a pretty solid launch

Lmao I thought you were talking about the single player in your original post. Cool!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flux Wildly posted:

I like the headphones a lot. The minimal buttons are really cool but you can accidentally gently caress with the volume (you change it by twisting one of the cans, and I think the other one is changing whether or not the game or other peoples mics are louder) when putting them on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zat posted:

It had a high profile reveal at least. It was like the only other game shown on stage at that horrible tlou2 e3 show that sucked so hard sony quit stage shows forever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the headphones, I splurged and got a set of the steelseries arctis pro for PC and I’m kinda disappointed mostly because they are not comfortable on my big stupid head. I swapped out the default ear cushions (which were horrible) for some a bit better but it’s still not comfortable for me.

I wouldn’t buy a set of headphones again without being able to try them on ahead of time, I think. Got them from Amazon so I could have returned but thought I would get used to it and I didn’t. Don’t repeat my mistakes!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

On the headphones, I splurged and got a set of the steelseries arctis pro for PC and I’m kinda disappointed mostly because they are not comfortable on my big stupid head. I swapped out the default ear cushions (which were horrible) for some a bit better but it’s still not comfortable for me.

I wouldn’t buy a set of headphones again without being able to try them on ahead of time, I think. Got them from Amazon so I could have returned but thought I would get used to it and I didn’t. Don’t repeat my mistakes!!

Get the Xbox headset, noob.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

It had a high profile reveal at least. It was like the only other game shown on stage at that horrible tlou2 e3 show that sucked so hard sony quit stage shows forever

hahaha was that the one with flute man, that was so poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hahaha was that the one with flute man, that was so poo poo

Yeah the one where they started in a tent and changed venues which took like a half hour for no loving reason

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Basically everyone loved the God of War reveal with the chamber orchestra so they were like "wow gamers LOVE live music at press conferences"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

barnold posted:

How do you even download the campaign? I can't seem to find where you do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah the one where they started in a tent and changed venues which took like a half hour for no loving reason

so so so bad. the fart-sniffing was heavy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah 2018. Control was like the only newly revealed game. Everything else was already known except nioh 2 maybe

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

External Organs posted:

Lmao I thought you were talking about the single player in your original post. Cool!

ahhhh, I can see how that may have been unclear. I was able to preload the MP, but the campaign stuff had to be downloaded once the game was released, so I jumped into some online matches while I was waiting for it to download

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I was looking into getting that series s deal where you pay however much a month for the console and game pass. I already have pc game pass tied to my old gamertag, will the new one override it or will I have to like cancel the old one and make a new account?

Or would it be smarter to just buy the console outright and just use my old account? I can afford it I just figured I already pay for gamepass why not throw an extra few bucks a month and get a “free” Xbox out of it.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 10, 2022

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

barnold posted:

ahhhh, I can see how that may have been unclear. I was able to preload the MP, but the campaign stuff had to be downloaded once the game was released, so I jumped into some online matches while I was waiting for it to download

Did you buy the campaign then? Cause it sounds like the game pass availability isn’t working right.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

External Organs posted:

I still can't believe Remedy made a game based on a 90s marble game.
You'll get caught up in the...

CROSS FIREEEEEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70BAKYdNjc

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh hey the Twitter and YouTube link guy has infiltrated the Xbox thread. Great. Super.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

American McGay posted:

Oh hey the Twitter and YouTube link guy has infiltrated the Xbox thread. Great. Super.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukd5y2z-ORA

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Flux Wildly posted:

Yeah, you can have it connected to the Xbox and one Bluetooth device simultaneously, so I connect it to my phone for discord like you said. I think I read that you could use the web app discord via Edge on your Xbox and have chat that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A talking coyote posted:

I was looking into getting that series s deal where you pay however much a month for the console and game pass. I already have pc game pass tied to my old gamertag, will the new one override it or will I have to like cancel the old one and make a new account?

Or would it be smarter to just buy the console outright and just use my old account? I can afford it I just figured I already pay for gamepass why not throw an extra few bucks a month and get a “free” Xbox out of it.

Just buy a series x bro. I know waiting sucks but it's worth it.