Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Out of curiosity: what happens if you play as the Pope or another traditionally chaste religious leader and choose to remain chaste? Itd be cool if there was a system where you could pick the next religious leader and become them instead. Like if youre playing as the Pope when you die you become the next Pope, and you could try to influence the College of Cardinals to choose which Pope you wanna be.

The game doesn't support (without mods anyway) playing as rulers that don't have dynastic inheritance. The game tracks your "score" through dynastic prestige, or the accomplishments of your dynasty, not how well-off your nation or religion is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Much like our rulers in the real world!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TjyvTompa posted:

Build tradeports, use the increase development mission. Use the learning tree and become a scholar.
I am doing my Tamil run right now and it is insane. Yes I got extremely lucky and I will probably finish the techtree event faster than the guy who did the tutorial that I posted earlier (check my posts in this thread for that video).

This is in 987AD and I have more development than Constantinople:

This is without any cheats in ironman, money has been really tight so no elephants yet though, not sure how the youtube guy managed that. However I have abused the exploit to not have to join my allies wars :cool:

drat unfortunately im in Ghana and i am entirely in an entirely landlocked country. Should i fight to the sea or something?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hihohe posted:

drat unfortunately im in Ghana and i am entirely in an entirely landlocked country. Should i fight to the sea or something?

You don't have to use tradeports, they just give you a petty good bonus. There are other buildings that increase development too. I think the most important part is to use the learning tree and learning education to play characters with high learning and use the increase development mission. But unless you really, really lean into it you will probably be better off just playing the game and get a good capital duchy. Use the development mapmode to find where the highest developed provinces are in your area and try to conquer them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Out of curiosity: what happens if you play as the Pope or another traditionally chaste religious leader and choose to remain chaste? Itd be cool if there was a system where you could pick the next religious leader and become them instead. Like if youre playing as the Pope when you die you become the next Pope, and you could try to influence the College of Cardinals to choose which Pope you wanna be.

You can't play as the pope. Theocracies and Republics are NPC only.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the game won't even let you start as them, so you can't have a succession at all.

There is a mod that enables something like that though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My mistake! Good to know. So far I've always played as some sort of Abrahmic religion so I think im going to start a viking run

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kvlt! posted:

For something kinda sorta similar, in my pagan Finland game, I reformed Ukonusko with Lay Clergy and Temporal head of faith, so that the Emperor I had do the reformation also became the head of the new faith, and the head-of-faith title was hereditary. Then I set up elective laws for all my big titles, and voilá! An Empire led by a High Shaman, successor chosen by elections which I could influence.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So what's up with these ransom offers? Can you actually see what they're offering? The Accept and Decline buttons don't have any tooltips.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tamba posted:

So what's up with these ransom offers? Can you actually see what they're offering? The Accept and Decline buttons don't have any tooltips.

If it doesn't say what they're offering I think that means they're offering a weak hook/favor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea if they're offering money it shows you how much. Weird that the hook doesn't appear.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Note to my vassals: When you start a civil war as a claimant faction to put some other rear end in a top hat on my throne, you might want to make sure said other rear end in a top hat is actually on board for it.

My starting character died with two khanate titles, and naturally I continued as the new holder of the primary title while the other one went to, let's call him Khan B.
Well, some suckers thought Khan B should have the primary title as well and started a war over it. It could've actually gone bad for me, but fortunately I could just call Khan B as a house member to help out and stomped the rebels easily with his help. :v: Thanks, uncle!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

SlothBear posted:

You can't play as the pope. Theocracies and Republics are NPC only.

Crusader Kings not Crusader Comrades right.

Lucked into an heir with Beautiful and Genius and slammed that Strengthen Blood button so hard. Go forth my beautiful nerd children and procreate.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I'm relatively new to the CK games and I'm trying to reform a religion, Ásatrú, for the first time. I saw the popup warning that the beliefs can never be changed once reformed, so I was wondering if that only apply to tenants or is the whole thing set in stone after reformation?

I was going to just start out with gender equality, but I guess I'll be needing more. I was intending to finish off creating the Scandinavian Empire, and I'm not too far off, and then just sit back and play the dynasty game. What else should I change in Ásatrú to make that fun? I'm not sure if I'll be needing blót after reforming for example, but probably still be conquering kingdoms outside my boarders to give to my family and make independant, so warmonger is still useful I think. Keep in mind my ruler is 55 years old so I might not be able to get a boatload more of piety.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm relatively new to the CK games and I'm trying to reform a religion, Ásatrú, for the first time. I saw the popup warning that the beliefs can never be changed once reformed, so I was wondering if that only apply to tenants or is the whole thing set in stone after reformation?

I was going to just start out with gender equality, but I guess I'll be needing more. I was intending to finish off creating the Scandinavian Empire, and I'm not too far off, and then just sit back and play the dynasty game. What else should I change in Ásatrú to make that fun? I'm not sure if I'll be needing blót after reforming for example, but probably still be conquering kingdoms outside my boarders to give to my family and make independant, so warmonger is still useful I think. Keep in mind my ruler is 55 years old so I might not be able to get a boatload more of piety.

How refreshing to see such innocent thoughts, just sit back and relax after you have created the empire. You will see that when you form the empire the real game begins, good luck keeping it together. You will need it :)
I would suggest picking some tenents that give you +relationship with your vassals and also some way of punishing them. You will want to be able to revoke titles without incurring tyranny for sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Mainline Asatru, including all of it's tenets, will indeed be locked in stone once you reform. That said, in the future you are free to reform it again and convert to Protestant Asatru or whatever you want to call it later on.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

TjyvTompa posted:

You will see that when you form the empire the real game begins, good luck keeping it together. You will need it :)

PittTheElder posted:

That said, in the future you are free to reform it again and convert to Protestant Asatru or whatever you want to call it later on.

Thank you, these are both good news. Looking forward to it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

BigPaddy posted:

Anyone having issues appointing anyone as Court Poet? It says no one is suitable and if I have someone appointed via an event they leave immediately.

Yeah, this has happened to me two or three times; someone shows up while you're holding court, says 'I should be your <x>, I'm awesome', I appoint them, and they quit the next day

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I had an event that merged cultures but it never gave me a chance to mix & match cultural attributes. Should I have?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

I had an event that merged cultures but it never gave me a chance to mix & match cultural attributes. Should I have?

If its through an event it picks them randomly for you.

You have to do it manually to pick and choose.

No afaik this is not explained anywhere.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TjyvTompa posted:

Can you explain this in more detail?

I did this in CKII so I know how to do it but I was not able to in CK3 since you can't "fake convert" to Islam and you liege will just pester you constantly about converting, educating your children, revoking your titles, imprisoning you and then finally executing you. I have seen tutorials on youtube and it is so obvious that they cheat it's not even funny. "*non ironman game start* Play as this count *snip* now I am the head of my large duchy after some easy wars *snip* ok next I did was to declare war on this guy and win and now I am a King".
I have been made aware of that a huge amount of people also use cheatengine to cheat in ironman mode from seeing many people cry about it not working after the update, I guess they just need updated addresses for cheat engine. Anyway I am just very salty since it seems nobody can tell me in detail how to actually do it in CK3. And to be clear, I am not accusing you of cheating, I am just very salty about this :qq:

You change your contract to ensure religious freedom and protected title revocation and give your boss max levies. You get as many cavalry units you get as Mr Karen and his Sisterwife and proceed to conquer your neighbours with your martial focus creating a place for your heirs. Sell captured nobles to fund your military expansion/duchy formation. All this time you should be moving towards Merv, which the main seat of a very nice and large province, which can be your actual powerbase. By this time you should have pumped out at least a few kids that you should be grooming into ruling the land you have taken from fellow vassals. All this while you are technically under the hood of the Tahirid emirate so you won't be war declared by the large islamic kingdoms that surround you from three sides.

If you are lucky the Tahirids lose to the Saffarids and forfeit the province of Nishapur which means that they are out of a powerbase and have to rule from somewhere in the lovely mountains that border Afghanistan. Either way, the second generation should work towards consolidating your hold on Merv, ideally holding it for a powerbase for the Karen Dynasty.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

Build tradeports, use the increase development mission. Use the learning tree and become a scholar.
I am doing my Tamil run right now and it is insane. Yes I got extremely lucky and I will probably finish the techtree event faster than the guy who did the tutorial that I posted earlier (check my posts in this thread for that video).

This is in 987AD and I have more development than Constantinople:

This is without any cheats in ironman, money has been really tight so no elephants yet though, not sure how the youtube guy managed that. However I have abused the exploit to not have to join my allies wars :cool:

You can dev way, way faster. People have hit 100 dev in that time. And this patch, the industrious tradition is so overpowered its possible to hit 100 dev before early medieval even starts

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

scaterry posted:

You can dev way, way faster. People have hit 100 dev in that time. And this patch, the industrious tradition is so overpowered its possible to hit 100 dev before early medieval even starts

I did read about it, you can do it in Sjaelland. But how do people get enough money to build all the holdings that are needed? You need thousands and thousands of gold to do it and you can't get enough by raiding since you also need to expand to get a bigger army to be able to raid. I am skeptical that it can be done in ironman mode.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you unlock Mubarizun? I'm Andalusian and everyone around seems to have Mubarizun instead of Armored Footmen.

They're all same religion same culture but I don't even see where they're unlocked anywhere.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, if I'm looking to unify Italy as a Catholic, what, uh, what do I do with the Pope? Can I just vassalize him and then take Rome from him once I've done the Italy -> Italia -> Roman Empire decisions? I figure by that point I'll be strong enough to take on any catholic crusades but I don't particularly want to piss him off at the moment.

Side note: Matilda is great at having court grandeur substantially better than her liege, as long as you don't immediately declare independence from the HRE after becoming Queen of Italy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Since I’m pretty new, I just learned a powerful lesson in having too many allies. These dickheads want to start their own wars. You’re supposed to wait around for MY war! Doesn’t help that some of them like to start wars they have no hope of winning and get pissed when I don’t send reinforcements.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
anyone else has their FPS completely tank in the throne room? Some weird thing is making my game go from 45 fps down to 16.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Bird in a Blender posted:

Since I’m pretty new, I just learned a powerful lesson in having too many allies. These dickheads want to start their own wars. You’re supposed to wait around for MY war! Doesn’t help that some of them like to start wars they have no hope of winning and get pissed when I don’t send reinforcements.
I also learned before I marry off my kid to make sure whomever I'm allying isn't already involved in some kind of 30-year hell war.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Does anyone know how hybrid cultures work with culture specific decisions? For example, can I form the kingdom of Cornwall as Norse-Cornish or a reformed neocornish or is it literally only for Cornish?

Also, are there cultural unions within groups? I would love to make a custom empire of Welsh, Breton, Cornish but it seems like I have to pick one? I tried the new steward interaction on my Breton territory and it said I can’t promote acceptance within the same culture group.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

What kind of stats or traits help an antiquarian's aptitude? I'm a king level ruler and can't find anyone above poor.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Canopus250 posted:

What kind of stats or traits help an antiquarian's aptitude? I'm a king level ruler and can't find anyone above poor.

You can hover over the aptitude label on the candidate list to see what contributes, the base is Learning. If they had an Adventure Inspiration that you (or another ruler I guess) sponsored successfully, that gives a decent boost

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Thanks, I hadn't moused over it for long enough to get that to pop up.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Just for fun, I took a look in the game files. Everything is in 00_court_positions.txt

For Antiquarian, base aptitude is Learning x 2.5, then there's a 30 point bonus for having completed an inspiration and 10 points each for Shy or Administrator traits.

They went through the trouble of coding in a -50 aptitude penalty for trying to make a blind person your Royal Architect, which... fair enough

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Play as a culture with Byzantine stuff, put enough points into the intrigue tree to get kidnapper, abduct som ones architect, blind them, then release them.

:discourse:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Quick question: if I want my kid to get a good education, my priority is the intelligence traits and then the correct aptitude per the kid's traits, right? Learning comes last and the teacher's own personal education actually don't matter?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally managed to go Feudal, got a Royal Court now and everything!

Just need to get the four high-quality artifacts and this Poland cheevo is in the bag.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

I did read about it, you can do it in Sjaelland. But how do people get enough money to build all the holdings that are needed? You need thousands and thousands of gold to do it and you can't get enough by raiding since you also need to expand to get a bigger army to be able to raid. I am skeptical that it can be done in ironman mode.

Are you keeping your domain intact through succession? What are you spending your income on?

There are ways to make enough money, even on ironman mode. One way is to use the stewardship lifestyle, which has perks like golden obligations, extort subjects, and sell titles. Another way is to find people with lots of money, and kidnap them, recruit them, imprison then banish them. You can also stack building cost discounts like the stewardship's middle tree, being your liege's steward, the communal ethos, admin court to make buildings cheaper for you.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

toasterwarrior posted:

Quick question: if I want my kid to get a good education, my priority is the intelligence traits and then the correct aptitude per the kid's traits, right? Learning comes last and the teacher's own personal education actually don't matter?

Correct, the intelligence trait is the biggest single factor by far*, basically Genius or Intelligent should be preferred over anything else regardless of their actual attributes. Being a genius gives the educational impact of having 37.5 in every attribute, on top of the actual attribute which is gonna be higher because, again, Genius.

* Technically attending a University is actually the biggest single boost to education, practically guaranteeing a four-star trait, but that's obviously a pretty limited opportunity and costs oodles of gold

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 11, 2022

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The culture pillar that gives you strong hooks and +50 opinion for pardoning people is extremely silly if you have a religion that makes adultery a crime. Some idiot duke cheats on their wife, I throw them in the dungeon, pardon them so we're besties and then ransom them for a hundred gold apiece. My kingdom is literally powered by horny jail at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is there any action I can take when I find out a vassal is trying to kill my wife? Apparently it would be tyrannical to imprison him