Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The website has been updated with some new info.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/triangle-strategy-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1486074183541010439?s=21

I love me some insane JRPG jargon, so I know I’m gonna love this game
Taking all bets on pronunciation.

kwi-et-us-es
kwi-et-oos-es
kwi-uh-tuss-es
kwi-uh-toos-es
kwee-tuss-es
kwee-toos-es

Pays out 3:2 if you bet on it ending with "eez" instead of "es".

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kwī' tuh sees

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you can yourself your own quietuses make with a bare bodkin, this game is a must buy

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Final Demo available today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhTJ-Evv_U

Looks like it goes through Chapter 3 and save data transfers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Being able to play the start of the game right now interests me.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Oddly enough singing the phrase "Triangle Strategy" in engrish doesn't make the name any better at all.

Still a banger though

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The new demo is live. It's called the Prologue Demo.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Hot take: triangle strategy sounds no dumber than final fantasy, context can make anything cool.

Regular take: I want to play this

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The trailer says “kwai-ee-tuh-sess” which is such a weird word. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway I need a new thread title so if you can come up with a pun using Quietuses, I will be impressed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The trailer says “kwai-ee-tuh-sess” which is such a weird word. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway I need a new thread title so if you can come up with a pun using Quietuses, I will be impressed.

check out a game called Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quietuses rhymes with fetuses, that’s a good way to remember how to pronounce it. Or a bad way, depending on how you feel about the word fetuses.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i won't play the demo until i beat the other srpg i am currently in the middle in, someone please tell me if they still have that thing where the screen rotates back and forth 30 degrees in cutscenes because it was my least favorite part of the previous demo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Have not noticed too much camera changing in the new demo.

I am however really enjoying the demo. How the story is presented is really my game so far. Though if you check profiles, it can be pretty easy to tell when someone is going to be revealed to be evil, cause their art will scream it. (Though with one notable exception so far, as the guy clearly just has a chip on his shoulder and is not evil.)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
They should have called it Beliefs Simulator Game

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Travis and Trish seem fun, I hope there's a path that lets you recruit them eventually.

Apparently you keep gained experience (and kudos, whatever it's for) after a defeat, so don't be like me and abandon a run that's starting to go south, unless you want to impose that limitation on yourself.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Travis and Trish seem fun, I hope there's a path that lets you recruit them eventually.

Apparently you keep gained experience (and kudos, whatever it's for) after a defeat, so don't be like me and abandon a run that's starting to go south, unless you want to impose that limitation on yourself.

I think one of the character trailers said kudos are used for class promotions and stuff.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hadn't really been paying attention to this game up to now but the demo was fun, and I respect that they offered such a long one. Pretty good vibes overall, like this has some actual passion behind it (comparing against, say, pretty much everything besides the music in bravely default 2). I wish it felt as snappy to play as eg three houses though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Minster Svarog posted:

Avlora! Erika! ...Thalas. Welcome Home.

I think the Minister is not a huge fan of his nephew. Which I agree with Thalas is a dick.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm gonna smack the next person who calls this game "Weeb Game Of Thrones"

(no one here, mind, I'm annoyed at other people on other websites.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does anyone know how the combat turns work, is it super static and no matter what you do outside of like Haste, your next turn will be set?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I didn’t play the last demo but I was very excited after the last trailer so I got the new demo to see if it was for me or not and whoo boy this is for me. I love the political intrigue. Having each of the states representing a different pillar of virtue as well as having characters each with their own unique motivation is an incredibly strong base to build the sort of interesting choices that will make this story engaging, and having that be a core gameplay function just as important as battle absolutely loving rules. All of the world building choices really contribute to that as well. Your home is where poo poo goes down because of its position on the continent , so even though you’re a part of the kingdom you have to take the time to get to know all three nations. Aesfrost and their emphasis on freedom feels very libertarian (complete with the very true-to-life fact that “freedom” often just means freedom for those with resources to wield total control) and Hyzante focuses a great deal on the moral and egalitarian nature of how they run things but is a straight up clerical fascist state complete with an entire underclass of doctrine-justified slave labor. I’m also glad that the game doesn’t see the third perspective as a moderate central force but establishes unity as a pillar unto itself. Glenbrook is a state built on appeasement and will inevitably have to answer for that as conflict continues to foment. I’m very excited to see where this goes. There are any number of ways this could go off the tracks but the plot, themes and character writing have been strong enough so far that I’m optimistic that it won’t.

Serenoa’s a little bit of a wimp honestly. I get the reason behind it and I imagine as you progress through the story and make stronger choices his character will be colored in more but you get the sense that he’s been taught to be tactful and not make waves above anything else but I imagine that things will be happening to push him into a more active role. It doesn’t help that his VA is one of the weaker ones I’ve encountered so far. The only voice performance I’ve loved out of the gate is Dragan, both his scenes establish his character really well and the way his VA plays drunk is really good, he jumps between playful, passionate and just a little scary from line to like just like a real drunk person! I also love to hate Frederica’s other family members, her two siblings are both slimy lovely little rich kids and the archduke feels like he’s gonna be a great villain.

The battles on the other hand are kind of meh. There are a few interesting systems like the elemental relationships and how they effect the terrain but none of that really showed up in the demo. I imagine there will be more flammable terrain later and lighting spells to utilize the puddles and so on. Other than that it’s a pretty simplistic system with a big emphasis on height and directional positioning. I had a bit of trouble adjusting during the first fight but by the third chapter I had a good grip on it. So far I almost wish the fighting wasn’t around, it eats into what I think is the real meat of the game and as far as I’ve noticed there aren’t any choices to be made inside the battles themselves. It would be interesting if, for example, in the battle in Hyzante you could choose whether to let the guy get away or turn him over. The “Serenoa’s convictions have been strengthened” message pops up a few times per battle but I don’t know why, which sort of muddies the whole point of the conviction system. I hope they become more intertwined because right now they seem like filler between the juicy story bits.

Tae posted:

Does anyone know how the combat turns work, is it super static and no matter what you do outside of like Haste, your next turn will be set?

Main character’s special move pushes targets back in the turn order, and there’s a Quietus that allows you to basically pick a unit to go after whoever’s turn it is, I imagine there are more things of that nature.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think the game will have only 3 endings (one for each of Morality/Liberty/Utility), or do you see the possibility of like, combo routes where you do two of those but ignore the third?

I don't see any possibility for a 'true ending' gotten by keeping all three equal, though, unless it's like an early game over where Serenoa gets called out for being spineless or flip-floppy and he gets backstabbed or something.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I really hope they don't have some kind of singular "big bad" in the game that all 3 branches have to defeat. One of the branches can absolutely have some kind of big bad that you fight, but there is the possibility of making each "pillar" play-through unique with different maps and different choices that you can make on the way. So I really hope they embrace that. I'll be playing the demo tonight to try it out but I'm very intrigued with what I've seen so far.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, if nothing else I have no worries that some evil demon dragon will pop out suddenly and be revealed to be secretly behind everything bad happening (including the previous human antagonists).

If only because the only real supernatural thing there that isn't just "Person can use magic" is the whole Heirophant deal, and there are several ways that could shake out (Is it a guy who actually talks to the goddess? Is he just a regular guy bullshitting for power?)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Yeah, if nothing else I have no worries that some evil demon dragon will pop out suddenly and be revealed to be secretly behind everything bad happening (including the previous human antagonists).

If only because the only real supernatural thing there that isn't just "Person can use magic" is the whole Heirophant deal, and there are several ways that could shake out (Is it a guy who actually talks to the goddess? Is he just a regular guy bullshitting for power?)

I mean, even Tactics Ogre did the "Magic Final Boss" despite having distinct L/C/N routes. It's kind of a staple of these games for the most part.

I do hope there's a "Golden path" you can achieve at some point but I am also perfectly ok with each path being it's own combination of give and take regarding characters and storylines and such.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
whichever path lets you recruit the most women is the good path. i will use grrrl power to crush my enemies.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

whichever path lets you recruit the most women is the good path. i will use grrrl power to crush my enemies.

Army Name: The Lady Killers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Levantine posted:

I mean, even Tactics Ogre did the "Magic Final Boss" despite having distinct L/C/N routes. It's kind of a staple of these games for the most part.

I do hope there's a "Golden path" you can achieve at some point but I am also perfectly ok with each path being it's own combination of give and take regarding characters and storylines and such.

Is a "golden path" just the cowardly do 100 good choices, 100 bad choices, and 100 neutral choices, and now you have embraced mediocrity congrats also here is the most powerful weapon in the game.

I'd much prefer the game reward you distinctively by staying true to whatever path you take and even punish you for straying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Junpei posted:

I'm gonna smack the next person who calls this game "Weeb Game Of Thrones"

(no one here, mind, I'm annoyed at other people on other websites.)

Why, seems like way higher praise than is deserved from what I read so far.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the Minister is not a huge fan of his nephew. Which I agree with Thalas is a dick.

Really I'm not sure what redeeming quality gets Erika a pass considering she and T are a high performance rear end in a top hat snob duo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The english dub is still pretty bad, but thankfully I have masked "Dio Brand" man to cope with me

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

The english dub is still pretty bad, but thankfully I have masked "Dio Brand" man to cope with me

There is a voice volume setting you can set to 0. Frankly I think it makes the game a lot better combined with setting text speed to Fast. There are some decent voice actors but the direction sounds like maybe they got the guy from FFXIII or something. It's not great.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 10, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is a "golden path" just the cowardly do 100 good choices, 100 bad choices, and 100 neutral choices, and now you have embraced mediocrity congrats also here is the most powerful weapon in the game.

I'd much prefer the game reward you distinctively by staying true to whatever path you take and even punish you for straying.

Agreed. I also like that there’s absolutely no hint as to what answer is for what value, which one you picked or where you stand. The only time they’ve had anything like that is during the Great Decidening when it tells you how likely someone is to change their mind based on what they think and what you know, but it’s not taking the lazy way and letting people go “let’s see I want to put equal amounts of points into Unity and Morality”.

So many games have your moral choices be nothing but these life altering decisions but I like that this game seems to acknowledge that your values can also reflect in little things, like that kid asking what she should do playing hide and seek. Honestly I just like that there’s a game that makes you engage with your core values in a way that isn’t stupidly reductive like a lot of games with these sorts of choices as a selling point (*stares a hole through Bioshock Infinite*)

Edit: I went back to see the part of Chapter 3 I missed and I love the parallels between the two leaders you can visit. Both on opposite ends of the Liberty v Equality spectrum and also immediately after their grandiose speeches about their highest value they treat Frederica in a way that undermines it. The Archduke talks about how everyone should have a chance to earn their own freedom then tells her to mind her place in the world as a pawn and tool of multiple states that she was forced into. The Heirophant talks about how everyone is equal in the mind of their Goddess while she is forced not to speak because of her heritage. I’m glad Frederica is around given what Serenoa has to be as the PC, her story feels like it’s going to be very good if done properly.

Also like seeing the ways both societies treat scientific advancement and how much of a police state they are.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Khanstant posted:

Why, seems like way higher praise than is deserved from what I read so far.

i think that says more about you than anything, lol
i personally hope, and believe, this game isn't going to be anywhere near as gross as game of thrones

Levantine posted:

There is a voice volume setting you can set to 0. Frankly I think it makes the game a lot better combined with setting text speed to Fast. There are some decent voice actors but the direction sounds like maybe they got the guy from FFXIII or something. It's not great.

maybe in the full release you can switch to the japanese dub

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

game of thrones is dogshit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If the game wanted to go game of thrones I guess it would have an opportunity to do so at the ominously hyped up wedding. But I don't think they would lean into that, or at least gently caress I hope not

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never read it, just watched the show and had a couple decades of people saying you gotta read song of ice and fire and endlessly hounding the dude to finish the series. My impression of GoT isn't it's grossness but lol yeah there's a lot of grossness there.

If someone said weeb game of thrones I would think tediously War of Rosesey medieval political character-focused fantasy but with all the things that are insufferable/deeply-cherished about anime'd games. From your reaction I'm guessing you take it to mean "weeb gross incest and sex crimes of thrones." That's gross in GoT and anime and everywhere lol

So far the basis I'd see to compare this and GoTshow is that they almost immediately make me dislike the royal blonde dude. "Let's see how many people we can kill and compete for score" gently caress off dude wasn't cute when gimli and legoman did it either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DC Murderverse posted:

Agreed. I also like that there’s absolutely no hint as to what answer is for what value, which one you picked or where you stand. The only time they’ve had anything like that is during the Great Decidening when it tells you how likely someone is to change their mind based on what they think and what you know, but it’s not taking the lazy way and letting people go “let’s see I want to put equal amounts of points into Unity and Morality”.

Should note the three Convictions are Liberty, Morality, and Utility. Not Unity.

Also unrelated in terms of magic stuff, Dragons apparently exist, as a note says that Asefrost's great bell is larger then the biggest Dragon.

DC Murderverse posted:

The “Serenoa’s convictions have been strengthened” message pops up a few times per battle but I don’t know why, which sort of muddies the whole point of the conviction system. I hope they become more intertwined because right now they seem like filler between the juicy story bits.

Maybe fighting in an underhanded way changes things?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I never read it, just watched the show and had a couple decades of people saying you gotta read song of ice and fire and endlessly hounding the dude to finish the series. My impression of GoT isn't it's grossness but lol yeah there's a lot of grossness there.

If someone said weeb game of thrones I would think tediously War of Rosesey medieval political character-focused fantasy but with all the things that are insufferable/deeply-cherished about anime'd games. From your reaction I'm guessing you take it to mean "weeb gross incest and sex crimes of thrones." That's gross in GoT and anime and everywhere lol

So far the basis I'd see to compare this and GoTshow is that they almost immediately make me dislike the royal blonde dude. "Let's see how many people we can kill and compete for score" gently caress off dude wasn't cute when gimli and legoman did it either.

Those were guys all ran off afterwards though, even the Aesfrost mooks were fine.

Serenoa's convictions strengthening but I'm not sure which ones is triggering my old Telltale "X will remember that" reaction. Talk to cat? Conviction up! you place your guys and begin the battle? Conviction up! Talk to random NPC who doesn't doesn't ask you anything but just comments on what a nice library they have? Conviction. up. What ideals brew in your pixelly head, Puppet!?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 11, 2022