Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Other than the deadeye (which I'm maining) and its female version, are there any classes whose signature mechanics don't have you charging up a bar?

Also, what's the deal with these cards, and why can't I even equip the first few I've gotten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is anything important locked behind stronghold management/upgrades or can I safely ignore it for a while longer?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Char posted:

Playing Gunlancer while also playing Path of Exile is pretty harsh on my dopamine receptors

as in, I'll level Gunlancer with powerpass because it's unbearable
There's a reason I rolled berserker to level with despite planning on playing bard, gunlancer, and sorc.

Berserker kills everything, even bosses, in one shot while leveling & moves freely while using abilities that murder the entire screen & has abilities that launch you forward and then instantly murder everything.

Good Citizen posted:

Is anything important locked behind stronghold management/upgrades or can I safely ignore it for a while longer?
Queuing up the long researches when you feel like it is useful and it only costs 150 silver each or something. You can also just ignore it for a while. Lost Ark is a marathon and not a sprint.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

gandlethorpe posted:

Other than the deadeye (which I'm maining) and its female version, are there any classes whose signature mechanics don't have you charging up a bar?

Also, what's the deal with these cards, and why can't I even equip the first few I've gotten?

I could be wrong but it looked like to me that some cards are equippable and some are just passive benefits.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah the way these games are you probably want to at least start doing research and stuff now to get a head start so you're not level 50 and desperately needing something from strongholds that you're a week behind on.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Khorne posted:

There's a reason I rolled berserker

Username checks out!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find myself badly wishing this game had a version of Diablo 3's Adventure mode for leveling instead of questing. I know Lost Ark is not at all A Diablo despite superficial resemblances but man I just find myself wishing I could run dungeons and smash things to level instead of running around clicking through dialogue, even if it's still not taking a ton of time. The combat's a blast and I feel like all the questing is just getting in the way of the part I want to do.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

I find myself badly wishing this game had a version of Diablo 3's Adventure mode for leveling instead of questing. I know Lost Ark is not at all A Diablo despite superficial resemblances but man I just find myself wishing I could run dungeons and smash things to level instead of running around clicking through dialogue, even if it's still not taking a ton of time. The combat's a blast and I feel like all the questing is just getting in the way of the part I want to do.

Yeah I tend to like to play lots of alts and don't mind leveling normally but the questing in this game is extremely bland and I can't see myself running through it multiple times.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I got cards from an old man and I guess I can't equip them? But I sure can look at them.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It is weird that "equip a set of cards" is in the guided new player quest book right when you first get 2-3 you can't equip.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I was able to equip two cards, tried around level 23 when I saw the new player quest, I just right clicked on them and it put two of them in the deck and I saved and it completed.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I don't care what anyone says this is just diablo 3/poe with better combat in a kmmorpg framework.

But yeah I'm growing increasingly convinced that my decision to slam through all the lovely dialogue and story was the correct one and can't wait to crush greater chaos rifts at 50. Thankfully we get two free boosts to 50 so I can't see myself needing to repeat that 10-50 slog anytime soon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's an old family name

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do kind of like the lore bits from exploring around but the main quest has been a lot of waiting to get to the fireworks factory.

EDIT: I mean it is not like it makes you sit through a lot of cutscenes. But there are a lot of times where I wish it would just point to a general direction and tell me to kill things more often.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 10, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

They're blocking new characters on most of the popular servers when the game launches officially at midnight :rip:

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1491875972693442576
https://forums.playlostark.com/t/character-creation-limits-and-additional-servers/61597

The following servers will have character creation limits put in place:

NA West
Mari
Valtan

NA East
Azena
Una
Regulus
Avesta

EU Central
Kadan
Trixion
Thirain
Zinnervale
Asta

This character creation limit will remain in place for the foreseeable future, and we will provide an update when it is eventually removed.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yep, gotta be a spendie if you want to roll on Una and you gotta do it today. Apparently it's already too late to roll on Una. If populations are this nuts with just paid players I can only imagine how the F2P population explosion is going to look on a Friday night.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 11, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
well that is certainly a mess

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Which server do most goons play on? I’m thinking about jumping on to scratch that D3 itch.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Which server do most goons play on? I’m thinking about jumping on to scratch that D3 itch.

Gyoru posted:

They're blocking new characters on most of the popular servers when the game launches officially at midnight :rip:

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/character-creation-limits-and-additional-servers/61597

NA West
Mari

NA East
Una

This character creation limit will remain in place for the foreseeable future, and we will provide an update when it is eventually removed.

You will continue to play queued content cross-server (that is, you can roll on another NA East server and play raids and dungeons with goons on Una) but guilds and world content are server specific and Korea just now got server transfers after years.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

I was able to equip two cards, tried around level 23 when I saw the new player quest, I just right clicked on them and it put two of them in the deck and I saved and it completed.

Yeah the issue is that you can only equip certain cards and the first few cards you get are not those equippable cards.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright so, does the game open up much more any time soon after the prologue? I'm doing this Loghill stuff and the loot trickle is honestly depressing, is this how it's going to be for a while? Otherwise the combat is punchy and the spell effects are pretty so it's scratching that part of the ARPG itch for me at least, just the loot rewards are pretty sparse so far, where the chests and breakables at?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deakul posted:

Alright so, does the game open up much more any time soon after the prologue? I'm doing this Loghill stuff and the loot trickle is honestly depressing, is this how it's going to be for a while? Otherwise the combat is punchy and the spell effects are pretty so it's scratching that part of the ARPG itch for me at least, just the loot rewards are pretty sparse so far, where the chests and breakables at?

You're gonna be following the main quest for a long while, and this is not a game where you get loot a lot; at max you'll be crafting one set and then upgrading that for a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish we knew how many people were on each server.

Someone mentioned that they sold 1.5 million founders packs.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Gyoru posted:

NA West
Mari
Valtan

NA East
Azena
Una
Regulus
Avesta

EU Central
Kadan
Trixion
Thirain
Zinnervale
Asta

Wow, this is going to be a literal split between the f2p population and the players who have paid.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diephoon posted:

Yep, gotta be a spendie if you want to roll on Una and you gotta do it today. If populations are this nuts with just paid players I can only imagine how the F2P population explosion is going to look on a Friday night.

It's crazy how Amazon had so many launch server congestion issues with New World and now Lost Ark when they are literally the biggest cloud server provider in the entire world

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

"just turn on more computer" is only a magic fix for server congestion if the game is built from the ground-up to scale directly based on allocated resources. The only game I actually know of that works that way is GW2.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's crazy how Amazon had so many launch server congestion issues with New World and now Lost Ark when they are literally the biggest cloud server provider in the entire world
yep, i was gonna say it's literally worse than ffxiv's endwalker launch, not because endwalker wasn't a mess, but because amazon can scale up their server capacity - especially in anticipation of one of the most hyped games ever

i guess the only good defence is that smilegate/amazon expect a lot of people to lose interest in the game after a few weeks, and spinning down capacity subsequently doesn't work well

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I think most people are playing on Una unless you really want to be on US west or EU servers

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hellioning posted:

You're gonna be following the main quest for a long while, and this is not a game where you get loot a lot; at max you'll be crafting one set and then upgrading that for a while.

drat, that's kind of disappointing I guess I should've looked into this more, I thought it was a traditional loot filled ARPG ala Diablo.
Also I think that the world, while very pretty, feels a bit sterile with how quickly corpses disappear and the lack of any destructibles to obliterate during combat.

Sorry kind of got roped into this game as a Marvel Heroes itch scratcher. :kiddo:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 10, 2022

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I went through about 2 hours in a row last night of just doing the most mind numbing quests running back and forth delivering crap and going through stronghold quests, etc. shortly after prince crowning around level 31ish. I think I killed about 2 dozen guys total in that time. Collecting bear asses would have been a huge improvement.

But then I did a pretty cool group dungeon and seem to be back to mowing through guys by the dozen, so I'm back onboard.

I do wish the guild support was better. We have a bunch of full guilds of goons on una, but they all cap at 30 people so at the moment it's like 10-15 people on at any one time and everyone is a different level. It's pretty quiet out there in Atrocious most of the time. It'd be nice to chat with everyone without having to alt-tab out to discord. I guess I could turn the discord overlay back on and solve part of that problem, but 30 is a stupidly low guild cap to start with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Deakul posted:

drat, that's kind of disappointing I guess I should've looked into this more, I thought it was a traditional loot filled ARPG ala Diablo.
Also I think that the world, while very pretty, feels a bit sterile with how quickly corpses disappear and the lack of any destructibles to obliterate during combat.

Sorry kind of got roped into this game as a Marvel Heroes itch scratcher. :kiddo:

Once you hit 50 you’re only grinding upgrade mats for your armor/weapon type gear. You’ll still be looting for your jewelry slots though, that will likely outpower your other gear

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Soulfist has a three tier buff stance that is either available/active or on cooldown. Scrapper basically has two resource gauges that they alternatively spend instead of Mana. Those are the two I'm aware offhand outside of the cowboy siblings.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Wow that one Rude boi hosed my poo poo up after no one else did. I was very afraid of it apparently. There were a bunch of people in the area so maybe that made it more difficult. I need a second blink as sorc I am not good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

admanb posted:

"just turn on more computer" is only a magic fix for server congestion if the game is built from the ground-up to scale directly based on allocated resources. The only game I actually know of that works that way is GW2.

Funnily enough, at the same time as they were making New World, Amazon literally did make a game engine from the ground up that was designed to take advantage of AWS's scaling. (OK not actually from the ground up. It was based on CryEngine). But due to some horrid mismanagement nothing actually used it, and all of their games including Crucible and New World were instead based on a different slapped-together engine called GameCore, quickly slapped together from an early fork off of Lumberyard or maybe CryEngine.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Fried Sushi posted:

Yeah I tend to like to play lots of alts and don't mind leveling normally but the questing in this game is extremely bland and I can't see myself running through it multiple times.

Well the good news is there are multiple ways of skipping the leveling of your alts. Some are quick, some take more time.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Good Citizen posted:

I think most people are playing on Una unless you really want to be on US west or EU servers

Wow that’s… super loving annoying. I purposefully didn’t buy a pack because I wasn’t sure if the game would hook me but I still wanted to play with goons.

Is this pretty much forcing my hand if I still want to get in a goon guild?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’m sure there’s plenty of us waiting until f2p and since guilds are capped at 30 there’s going to be many goon guilds anyway.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Whoreson Welles posted:

Wow that’s… super loving annoying. I purposefully didn’t buy a pack because I wasn’t sure if the game would hook me but I still wanted to play with goons.

Is this pretty much forcing my hand if I still want to get in a goon guild?

Sorry to tell you this, but it is already past 1:45 PM PT (9:45 PM UTC). The limits are probably in place already.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Welp, shouldn’t have claimed that 100k silver from twitch drops I guess because now for sure my IRL friends are gonna roll somewhere other than Mari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bussamove posted:

Welp, shouldn’t have claimed that 100k silver from twitch drops I guess because now for sure my IRL friends are gonna roll somewhere other than Mari.

Why is it full or something? edit I read back gently caress me same with mine