Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hell fuckin' yeah. Except for the goofy filter. Other than that, hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i've been watching a shitload of action movies lately and ended up watching Kickboxer: Vengeance then Kickboxer back to back

just over 25 years apart, with the reboot having far more energy and casting tons of UFC folks, yet the fight editing of the first one somehow works better despite being incredibly simple. sometimes less is more, except when it comes to the lead where JCVD has twice the charisma of the ken doll in the remake

edit: also watched kboxer retaliation. the long take action scenes fell flat because of the speedup/slowmo, but the final fight with hafnir thorson was pretty fun. he should have just done nut shots the entire time though

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 21, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
If you have been putting off seeing One Shot, definitely check it out. I really enjoyed it, the action was honestly very well shot, and it looks like Adkins actually got some firearms training which was nice since that's usually the weakest part of his action movies. Definitely one of my favorite Scott Adkins movies now. My one complaint , and I know I am being a giant dork here, but good god whoever was in charge gearing up the seals did a horrible job. All their kit was random Russian surplus and I have no clue what Adkins was actually wearing.

But overall it was awesome and the scene where Scott Adkins is hunting guys down with his knife ruled

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I've been on a HUGE low-budget/DTV kick lately and need more to watch. I watched Drive for the first time (I've seen clips on YT, but never the full thing), Cold Harvest, Silent Trigger, Bridge of Dragons, Nemesis, both of the last Universal Soilders, and Hard Target/Sudden Death (I think these were released in theaters). Even though I consider myself a huge action cinema fan, I never really appreciated any of this stuff honestly until I watched Silent Trigger based off a twitter rec. If anyone could suggest some more hidden treasures, please do! Tubi so far has been my #1 source for being able to watch these

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
There are two Billy Blanks/Roddy Piper movies from the 90s that are really fun, Back In Action and Tough and Deadly. I think they are my favorite direct to video movies. I don't know if they're on tubi though. Tubi does have a bunch of PM entertainment movies, they probably have the three great Gary Daniels "R" movies he made with them, Rage, Recoil, and Riot. I think I saw Bushido Man available on tubi, that is a ton of fun. War of the Arrows, Kung Fu Killer, Clash, Arahan, Bloody Tie are all movies I saw on tubi that I gave 3 stars or more.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

dokmo posted:

There are two Billy Blanks/Roddy Piper movies from the 90s that are really fun, Back In Action and Tough and Deadly. I think they are my favorite direct to video movies. I don't know if they're on tubi though. Tubi does have a bunch of PM entertainment movies, they probably have the three great Gary Daniels "R" movies he made with them, Rage, Recoil, and Riot. I think I saw Bushido Man available on tubi, that is a ton of fun. War of the Arrows, Kung Fu Killer, Clash, Arahan, Bloody Tie are all movies I saw on tubi that I gave 3 stars or more.

Thank you! And, Im actually watching Bloodmoon now (on YT). I think I am becoming a Gary Daniels stan. Dude may not have a huge amount of acting chops, but he is a blast to watch!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
If you are really looking for some 90s deep dive action movies, Live Wire with Pierce Brosnan is pretty fun. Go in blind for a fun time.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

Is Roel Reiné one of those DTV directors people go for?

Couldn't even get the most famous SEAL team. Sad.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Haven't used the tubi app in a long time and I just saw now that they added a bunch of great Korean flicks, The Gangster, The Cop, the Devil, and Midnight Runners, The Man From Nowhere,I Saw The Devil, The Villainess, Train To Busan, The Suspect

As far as direct to video movies on Tubi if you haven't already checked these out: Daylights End was a fun zombie movie, Standoff was a good small-scale thriller, the Scott Adkins movies Accident Man, Savage Dog, and Ninja II, Falcon Rising was a very good Michael Jai White flick, The Tournament, the Jean Reno crime thriller 22 Bullets.

I had no idea there were so many great movies on tubi. Ong Bak, Blade of the Immortal, Gone in 60 Seconds, Ronin, Special ID, Tell No One, Crime Story, Flash Point, Django, The Prey, Pusher, the Outage series, the Dead or Alive movies.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tubi is my favorite streaming service. I would pay upwards of $20 a month if I could get it ad-free.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Ok, watched Bloodmoon, Rage and Recoil. Ranking the 4 GD films I've seen, I think it would go Cold Harvest, Bloodmoon, Recoil then Rage. I know people tend to like Rage a bit, but it comes down to just not enjoying the movie as a whole outside the action. Gary Daniels is just such a gentle human, even when in killer mode hahaha

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

thatfuturekid posted:

I watched Drive for the first time (I've seen clips on YT, but never the full thing)

What did you think?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

thatfuturekid posted:

I've been on a HUGE low-budget/DTV kick lately and need more to watch. I watched Drive for the first time (I've seen clips on YT, but never the full thing), Cold Harvest, Silent Trigger, Bridge of Dragons, Nemesis, both of the last Universal Soilders, and Hard Target/Sudden Death (I think these were released in theaters). Even though I consider myself a huge action cinema fan, I never really appreciated any of this stuff honestly until I watched Silent Trigger based off a twitter rec. If anyone could suggest some more hidden treasures, please do! Tubi so far has been my #1 source for being able to watch these

You might like Jeff Wincott movies. He's not a great actor(big bloody surprise), but he's got good physicality. I think youtube has The Killing Machine, also known as the Killing Man.

EDIT: I may be mixing him up with Jeff Speakman who is in The Perfect Weapon(also on youtube). I can't remember which one I liked, but they're both watchable(I think.)

Narzack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 31, 2022

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I have Beyond Skyline and Skylin3s. I enjoyed them. Should I search out* the first one? I got Beyond because Iko Uwais and friends were in it. Yayan Ruhian, who I think I misspelled, has a cameo in 3s, with alien-robot arms/leg. He can't fight with all that rubber costume on, but he whacks a couple bots in the head.

They filmed all the live-action parts for 3s in 2019, then did the special effects reviews/meetings/brainstorming via Zoom in 2020. It's fun, and there are some neat fights.

*I don't have any streaming services. I am a technophobe and still expect my computer/phone/walkman to explode if I push the wrong button.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The original Skyline is 100% not an action movie.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What did you think?

I absolutely LOVED it

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Darn.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
if you've ever wanted to see Iko Uwais throw cocaine at an alien and then do silat on it, or watch a giant extraterrestrial mech suplex another giant extraterrestrial mech into a cheaply-rendered CGI Angkor Wat, Beyond Skyline is the movie for you

(it rules)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's also 100% crap

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's absolutely boring and terrible and then the end credits start up and that's what the movie should have been from about the 20 minute mark

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Skyline is the answer to the question "is it possible to film an alien invasion movie in my apartment building?" (Yes, if you happen to own a VFX company and someone has just given you a shitload of money to do CGI for their own very similar but bigger-budgeted alien invasion movie.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

thatfuturekid posted:

I absolutely LOVED it

:hellyeah:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Watching the first episode of the new Jack Reacher show and it has some gnarly fights.

The guy playing Reacher is gigantic and they really play it up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrBling posted:

Watching the first episode of the new Jack Reacher show and it has some gnarly fights.

You should check out Jack Reacher: The College Years. He's awesome in it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1344204/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MrBling posted:

Hell yes. Good to hear.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I loved the first Jack Reacher movie and have never read the books and I'm really enjoying the show. I can see how the books would be dumb, fun, quick reads. I'm gonna check them out.

I was sold when a flashback showed Jack Reacher's mom calling him "Reacher".

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The books are great. I read all of them over the pandemic cause I needed something easy and predictable cause everything was/is on fire

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Saw Moonfall. Could've been better with more special effects and less human drama and more Ancient Aliens zaniness.

John Bradley carries the movie so hard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So because of the recommendation I watched the new Jack Reacher.

The action is not very good (I'm only up to Ep 3) but it's not bad at all. The dude clearly needs more work on the punchy kicky but he's an absolute gigantic physical specimen who is build like a Men's Fitness model, he's like if Kratos suddenly showed up in your movie. Wouldn't have to say a word and you'd be pissing yourself.

He also acts basically autistic, and I don't mean that as an insult at all. He can read all kinds of social situations very well but has zero ability to connect with people, he just says stuff like "if you do X I will do Y" (where Y = break your arm) in a flat monotone and the person doesn't believe him and then their arm gets broken. He's actually a very interesting character, and extremely hulking, heroic, patriotic, and morally upstanding dude with a social disability and I really like it. I also LOVE that this show is basically the tone of every late 80s/early 90s action movie, where the good guy character is literally 5 leagues above any of his "competition" and just tools up anybody in his way. In smaller doses this is a really fun thing to experience, it was the prime appeal of early Steven Seagal.

Anyway it's worth watching but again the action is pretty middle grade, it's choreographed ok, decently brutal, but the main actor is a bit too floaty and the editing is chopped up a bit much. Doesn't ruin anything and honestly the story and the character is fun enough that it doesn't matter.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

He also acts basically autistic, and I don't mean that as an insult at all. He can read all kinds of social situations very well but has zero ability to connect with people, he just says stuff like "if you do X I will do Y" (where Y = break your arm) in a flat monotone and the person doesn't believe him and then their arm gets broken.

That's a take on Billy Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVX-voqWuwY&t=98s

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

If you have been putting off seeing One Shot, definitely check it out. I really enjoyed it, the action was honestly very well shot, and it looks like Adkins actually got some firearms training which was nice since that's usually the weakest part of his action movies. Definitely one of my favorite Scott Adkins movies now. My one complaint , and I know I am being a giant dork here, but good god whoever was in charge gearing up the seals did a horrible job. All their kit was random Russian surplus and I have no clue what Adkins was actually wearing.

But overall it was awesome and the scene where Scott Adkins is hunting guys down with his knife ruled

I normally like everything Adkins does but I didn't like this but maybe it was the one take direction? Didn't really like how gray it looked nor the one shot aspect of it. I watched it with Castle Falls, I found that one slightly more entertaining. The plot is much more stupid and there is few funny bits here there.

This weekend I watched Damage which is a WWE movie with Steve Austin from Condemned. I think it just got added to Netflix. It's utter poo poo. I swear in certain scenes that have almost 0 action they have a stunt double for Steve Austin. At least Condemned had some good fights.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I watched it last night. That scene with the suicide bomber was brutal and I came close to switching it off. :(

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Especially given that given that all of the buildup around the one person I assumed it would be the bomber running in and blowing up and not an extended sequence of people throwing themselves into a bullet grinder just to get him to that point. Absolutely horrifying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I am disappointed. My boy, how could you do us dirty like this?

https://twitter.com/TheScottAdkins/status/1490397738013396995?s=20&t=TVqu7-pCfJrG5m_vV0fAHQ

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

drat

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well that blows

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CTE claims another victim

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Please don't post your Twitter political poo poo stirring in the action movies thread, thanks. Like anyone needs to care about the opinions of Scott Adkins.

Oh and I finished Jack Reacher, the action remained on the right side of "good" until the end, but it was nothing great. I'm sure it will get a second season though and hopefully they can tighten it up.

It was also admirable how 90s the entire production was. The villains had zero moral complexity and in one case was almost literally Satan Jr. and the ending scenes contrived to square everyone up against their adversary. I really miss that kind of cheese.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 10, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I am disappointed. My boy, how could you do us dirty like this?

gently caress! Truly there are no more heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am going to see Blacklight tomorrow. It has a 5% on RT. Can't tell if people are sick of his movies (I will never be) or if they somehow found a way to screw up something that should be pretty easy.

Reacher owns. Got some Banshee vibes from it.