Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fister Roboto posted:

FF6 is Victorian-ish not medieval.
FF6 was not the only SNES game where bars got turned into cafes in the localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why did they hire a sheep to do the FF6 localization

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It was the only creature that agreed to work for Square's English localizations for such l i t t l e m o n e y.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

It was the only creature that agreed to work for Square's English localizations for such l i t t l e m o n e y.

I know FFT WotL changed this but I really hope a remaster keeps it. I prefer the overall localization in WotL but that line in the original was funny.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Though it may be censorship, I'm still glad Final Fantasy Legend 2 has banana smuggling.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

white

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If children see the word Holy they might become Satanists

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite detail is that if FF2 ever got its NES English release, Ricard would've been known as Edward since that's his name in the unfinished translation that got leaked long ago. Instead, that same translator changed Gilbert's name to Edward in FF4. She must have had a thing for that name.

It's funnier when you realize Edge's real name is Edward.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Baal posted:

Why did they hire a sheep to do the FF6 localization

nice merton.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

My favorite detail is that if FF2 ever got its NES English release, Ricard would've been known as Edward since that's his name in the unfinished translation that got leaked long ago. Instead, that same translator changed Gilbert's name to Edward in FF4. She must have had a thing for that name.

It's funnier when you realize Edge's real name is Edward.

Gilbert is a stupid name, so this is justified to me.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

Gilbert is a stupid name, so this is justified to me.

Stupid character stupid name ?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know FFT WotL changed this but I really hope a remaster keeps it. I prefer the overall localization in WotL but that line in the original was funny.

FFT's original translation was rough but WotL's freshman theater club writing was tiresome. PSX version had better one-liners too.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT's original translation was rough but WotL's freshman theater club writing was tiresome. PSX version had better one-liners too.

No foolin'

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Such an all time great loving line.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this single line is why the playstation version is better

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I like all the old meme lines too but IMO it's more important to, you know, be able to follow the plot. Maybe just me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Was there more or less insinuation of sexual assault in the original English?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
"Surrender or die in obscurity" is equally hardcore.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this single line is why the playstation version is better

Nah. A stopped clock is right twice a day. Just because that line is a banger doesn't make the rest good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah, this kids the best character in the game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was bad enough when Figaro sank into the swamp the first three times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Was there more or less insinuation of sexual assault in the original English?
If you're talking about Rafa I'm pretty sure the original localization implied it too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it was pretty fuckin’ overt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I think it was pretty fuckin’ overt

"You know what he did to me, you *know*" vs "You know the... thing he did to me, you know of this" between translations. It isn't really obscured in either case.

Which grim realism or whatever but Final Fantasy really didn't need the rape of a 13 year old in it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How would a Tactics game sound that has no death penalty, so party members can contribute to the plot after recuitment?

You could also have jobs be cosmetically different, even for named characters.

I remember playing that mediocre Valkyrie Profile game where you could sacrifice one per chapter, and it sucked because there was so little interactions between them. The plot also branched randomly. the structure would be better off for a VN.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How would a Tactics game sound that has no death penalty, so party members can contribute to the plot after recuitment?

You could also have jobs be cosmetically different, even for named characters.

I remember playing that mediocre Valkyrie Profile game where you could sacrifice one per chapter, and it sucked because there was so little interactions between them. The plot also branched randomly. the structure would be better off for a VN.

? There are multiple death scenes for each character depending on who you recruited and when it happens. CotP is a way better SRPG than FFT

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

CotP?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Covenant of the Plume, of the possibly dead Valkyrie Profile series.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

That's the anime but with tanks game right? I hear good things!

EDIT: No wait that's Valkyria Chronicles.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rythian posted:

That's the anime but with tanks game right? I hear good things!

EDIT: No wait that's Valkyria Chronicles.

Valkyria Chronicles is loving awesome. There's one really stupid shoehorned bit of writing in the story but everything else is excellent. Great art style, animation, music, writing, characters, strategic gameplay, tons of content. It has everything. I love that game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I like all the old meme lines too but IMO it's more important to, you know, be able to follow the plot. Maybe just me.

No kidding. I couldn't even follow what was happening when I played the PSX version and I'd take an overwritten, slightly dry yet coherent translation over one which was kind of funny but is otherwise an incomprehensible cluster gently caress where dragons are attacking you with fire bracelets and you've to defeat Dycedarg's mysterious prior to unmentioned elder brother who looks exactly like Dycedarg and I couldn't follow anything that was going on besides Church = Evil and are actually demons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good point, where are the Valkyrie Profile remasters Square!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every time i see this nonsensical take I have to reread it to make sure somebody is actually saying that one accidentally good line at an awful incoherent translation makes it a better pick than something actually enjoyable to read.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hey. There's like 3 good lines in the original.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mighty unusual for a dragon to cough up a bracelet.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the incoherent and stupid translation pwns

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Valkyrie Profile is cool and good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

… BECAUSE ODIN IS A BASTARD MAN

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr Pepper posted:

Every time i see this nonsensical take I have to reread it to make sure somebody is actually saying that one accidentally good line at an awful incoherent translation makes it a better pick than something actually enjoyable to read.

We do have a habit here of liking older, worse things.

I think the original FFVII is much better than the remake, so I'm no exception to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Older is always better