Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Can confirm through some family member's facebooks that the right's bizarre hatred of Trudeau goes well beyond regular "We don't like our political opponents and hope they lose" conversation into some very over the top fixation. Had a fun time at a wedding where my relatively lucid but very strongly Tory (O'Toole/Mulroney liker) uncle struggled to name a single policy decision or program that he didn't like but still insisted that he was the worst PM in Canada's history, and this is the camp that's still somewhat grounded in reality.

Boomers have been getting bombarded with facebook posts claiming Trudeau is an ISIS sleeper agent since even before he got elected, it's far from a new thing brought on by one remark about antivaccine dumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Insane reflexive Trudeau hate isn't even limited to Justin, plenty of Albertans would foam at the mouth the second you mentioned PET way before Justin was even PM.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Their hatred of Trudeau is so strong they spoke out against blackface. Repeatedly!

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
Seems like it’s just vibes-based. Someone from my hometown’s entire stated reason for not liking Trudeau is just “he looks like a little bitch”

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
And if I recall correctly, it's not about "blackface is offensive", but the "hypocracy" of calling things racist when he did a racist thing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Conservatives are enraged by even vaguely feminine men because they can't process the feelings of wanting to gently caress them

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Conservatives are enraged by even vaguely feminine men because they can't process the feelings of wanting to gently caress them

More hits from the "I don't wipe my butt because touching my butthole is gay" crew

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

enki42 posted:

Insane reflexive Trudeau hate isn't even limited to Justin, plenty of Albertans would foam at the mouth the second you mentioned PET way before Justin was even PM.

It would be more accurate to say that the PET hate was at insane levels since, well, his time as PM, much of which was then transferred to Justin when he entered politics. And then began amassing his own specific brand of hated.

Because stupid and a literal culture of hate based around a governmental policy from decades ago that grew to memetic levels and was passed down to children that weren't even alive while PET was in power.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

also because he's successful at the manly things.

Even if Trudeau is a mediocre liberal politician, him beating Brazeau in a boxing match was so loving good

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I used to be in a weekly discussion group that had a lot of boomers and older I. It and there was always one guy that wanted to talk about how much he hated Trudeau regardless of whether the topic had anything to do with Trudeau or not. It was just outright hatred.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The most I can ever get out of anyone is a hatred of the carbon tax.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Madkal posted:

I used to be in a weekly discussion group that had a lot of boomers and older I. It and there was always one guy that wanted to talk about how much he hated Trudeau regardless of whether the topic had anything to do with Trudeau or not. It was just outright hatred.

"Trudeau derangement syndrome"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I don’t think it’s quite time to call the troops into Ottawa (though huge swaths of the OPS need to be fired) but I do think that the military should be clearing out border blockades.

There’s a difference between a protest and an interdiction.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Yeah I think a lot of it is leftover PET hate for the NEP that's sorta memetically mutated to where Pierre and by extension Justin are basically folk devils. Western tories had a "reason" to hate the Liberals and Pierre but it's so long ago that the causes and slights at the root of it have fallen by the wayside and it's just a sump for every possible real or imagined grievance.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Can’t they just arrest those truckers and declare them domestic terrorists so they are ineligible to enter USA anymore. Solves their border crossing vaccination requirements.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The very few involved that had to cross the border were already vaccinated. The vaccination requirements are not and have never been an issue for truckers doing cross-boarder business.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BC has the highest minimum wage now outside of Nunavut and it's now tied to inflation.

Still around $5 less than it should be, but way better than it used to be (when it was one of the lowest in the country)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Before I ask my question let me make it clear I am not anti vax in way. I am triple vaxxed myself and think every eligible person should get it.

So my question is, is there really much point to forcing truckers to get vaccinated? As I understand it they are alone most of the time right? Or is this a requirement because having lots of truckers out sick would cause serious supply chain issues for the economy?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Truckers regularly interact with people when they are dropping and picking up loads, plus rest stops and whatever they have to do along the way.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Again, in big bold letters: The protests are not about vaccination requirements for truckers

I know that the media keeps repeating that they are, because that's what the protesters had originally claimed as one of their reasons for protesting, except that the vaccination requirements have already been met by anyone whose job it was to do international freight, because they are required by the American government for entry.

There is no point in discussing the necessity of vaccination for truck drivers because it is literally irrelevant to the protests. It is a moot point. It is used to try to legitimize the protest when it does not in any way effect the people who are protesting and has nothing to do with their actual stated demands.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 10, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Madkal posted:

TheSwizzler posted:

Yeah I think a lot of it is leftover PET hate for the NEP that's sorta memetically mutated to where Pierre and by extension Justin are basically folk devils. Western tories had a "reason" to hate the Liberals and Pierre but it's so long ago that the causes and slights at the root of it have fallen by the wayside and it's just a sump for every possible real or imagined grievance.

The Pierre thing might be valid for old blood Canadians that somehow inherited it through their parents, but the most adamant JT haters I know in the GTA are 20-40yo first/second gen immigrants whose families weren't even here yet when Pierre was PM. Most of them couldn't tell you anything about him other than the October crisis.

I think the over-the-top hate towards JT comes down to the perceived "virtue signaling" of his first term, the peoplekind stuff and 50/50 gender split in cabinet pissed people off way more than blackface or carbon taxes IMO, at least here in Ontario. And because JT is a white male that grew up as political royalty, conservatives really unload on him with both barrels as some personification of Obama/Hillary-style liberalism. There's a certain "not touching you" aspect there, they can literally direct all their hate towards him and no actual leftists will defend him.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

enki42 posted:

All over Canada actually. When I was a kid, I remember discovering that my friend's dad had this weird shrine in his basement where he taped up newspaper clippings of PET and he had written gently caress YOU and stuff like that with a marker on them and I found it so weird and I think it actually helped get me interested in politics.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

InfiniteZero posted:

All over Canada actually. When I was a kid, I remember discovering that my friend's dad had this weird shrine in his basement where he taped up newspaper clippings of PET and he had written gently caress YOU and stuff like that with a marker on them and I found it so weird and I think it actually helped get me interested in politics.

lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Again, in big bold letters: The protests are not about vaccination requirements for truckers

I know that the media keeps repeating that they are, because that's what the protesters had originally claimed as one of their reasons for protesting, except that the vaccination requirements have already been met by anyone whose job it was to do international freight, because they are required by the American government for entry.

There is no point in discussing the necessity of vaccination for truck drivers because it is literally irrelevant to the protests. It is a moot point. It is used to try to legitimize the protest when it does not in any way effect the people who are protesting.

If anything, Companies wouldn't want unvaccinated truckers crossing the border either because they're likely responsible for their travel insurance.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
If I was a world leader and dipshit Canada let it's plaguerats run back and forth over my border I'd be talking sanctions ASAP.

America is pretty wishy-washy about its COVID response, but throwing spit in their bucket is still a political mistake.

Whatever 'truckers' are actually mad about vaccines, it's probably less to do with their job and more to do with any other thing they currently require a vaccine to do.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Good to know the Pepe Silvia unhinged conspiracy wall bit was based exactly on reality. Turns out satire died decades ago and somehow I'm not surprised.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MNIMWA posted:

The online right started freaking out because Trudeau said some anti-vaxxers are anti-science, and so on

https://westernstandardonline.com/2021/12/trudeau-calls-the-unvaccinated-racist-and-misogynistic-extremists/

That led Jorb Peterson to start freaking out, along with Bernier and the rest

Yes, this is when Trudeau picked a fight. I suspect he looked at polling numbers and saw 80 or 85% of people were vaccinated and figured the only people who would be pissed off is that 15 or 20%, much of whom already hates his guts.

This assumes that everyone who is vaccinated has no issues with vaccine mandates, which is incorrect.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Saying that people who are "fiercely against vaccination" are often "racist and misogynist" is definitely trying to antagonize/shame them as a group. That's a surprising choice from Trudeau.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saying that people who are "fiercely against vaccination" are often "racist and misogynist" is definitely trying to antagonize/shame them as a group. That's a surprising choice from Trudeau.

Well they sure proved him wrong.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Yes, this is when Trudeau picked a fight. I suspect he looked at polling numbers and saw 80 or 85% of people were vaccinated and figured the only people who would be pissed off is that 15 or 20%, much of whom already hates his guts.

This assumes that everyone who is vaccinated has no issues with vaccine mandates, which is incorrect.

It’s also incorrect to assume that everyone who has issues with mandates agrees with the convoy, which appears to be what you’re doing

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

making GBS threads on anti-vaxxers is the only thing Trudeau has done to make me get behind him.

My favorite anti-Trudeau freakout-over-nothing to date though is still Elbowgate. Especially when so many of them were people defending Rob Ford sprinting through City Hall knocking old ladies over. that'll be tough to top.

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 10, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What's funny is the conservatives + Jean Chretien have done a lot (in the overall larger Reagan hellscape) to make the lives of these people miserable. Yet they lack the language, context and frame of mind to identify the sources of these problems so it's Trudeau's fault because tribal identity trumps reality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testikles posted:

And if I recall correctly, it's not about "blackface is offensive", but the "hypocracy" of calling things racist when he did a racist thing.

They just absolutely love posting the pictures over and over too. Let's them think they're being stealth racist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1491845130256408600

Don't worry folks, the police are now on the scene at the trucker camp and will soon begin dealing with... Oh. Oh, I'm sorry, the truckers have now formed their own police force. Ottawa PD, OPP, and RCMP still nowhere in sight. Carry on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Starks posted:

It’s also incorrect to assume that everyone who has issues with mandates agrees with the convoy, which appears to be what you’re doing

I don't support the truckers. Too much right wing weirdness for me.

But I do oppose vaccine mandates. There is absolutely no reason to keep them around now we have a variant that spreads perfectly well among fully vaccinated people, and after the policy failed to prevent this latest round of lockdowns. I totally understand why people are opposed to these, even if many have other motivations.

This policy has been a gift to the fringe right: it gives them a cause to rally behind, and it attracts people from across the political spectrum to their cause. The policy of vaccine mandates should be rolled back.

e: double vaxxed here, and I was an early and eager adopter. The vaccines are an amazing invention

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 10, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Starks posted:

The Pierre thing might be valid for old blood Canadians that somehow inherited it through their parents, but the most adamant JT haters I know in the GTA are 20-40yo first/second gen immigrants whose families weren't even here yet when Pierre was PM. Most of them couldn't tell you anything about him other than the October crisis.

I think the over-the-top hate towards JT comes down to the perceived "virtue signaling" of his first term, the peoplekind stuff and 50/50 gender split in cabinet pissed people off way more than blackface or carbon taxes IMO, at least here in Ontario. And because JT is a white male that grew up as political royalty, conservatives really unload on him with both barrels as some personification of Obama/Hillary-style liberalism. There's a certain "not touching you" aspect there, they can literally direct all their hate towards him and no actual leftists will defend him.

My family and I moved to Canada in the early 2000's and maybe once or twice a year my dad will mention how PET screwed up Canada which is weird because he never lived in Canada when PET was PM. That being said my dad actually likes Trudeau (though he will vote Con every time but doesn't mind JT being PM).
As for the truckers there are people who are vaxxed who hate the mandates. They usually tell you this by starting a sentence with "I didn't want to get vaxxed but my work forced me to...". There are people who also dislike wearing a mask everywhere and other rules. And you know what. They do it anyway because they can perceive that the whole thing is bigger than them. Calling the truckers a whole bunch of mean names is not so egregious when most of it is true.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The mandates should have just upped to three shots which does provide more protection and continued to expand as newer vaccines came out.

And regardless it's not just about the spread, every one of those unvaccinated idiots is much more likely to end up in the ICU or require longer term hospitalization and keep overburdening the hospital system, delaying surgeries and whatnot as a result.

gently caress them and their lack of basic human decency. They're being asked to do the bare minimum civic duty and they won't. This isn't WW2, they aren't being asked to ration food and aluminum for years on end. They're being asked to get a free vaccine that's easily available.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 10, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Count Roland posted:

But I do oppose vaccine mandates. There is absolutely no reason to keep them around now we have a variant that spreads perfectly well among fully vaccinated people, and after the policy failed to prevent this latest round of lockdowns. I totally understand why people are opposed to these, even if many have other motivations.

This policy has been a gift to the fringe right: it gives them a cause to rally behind, and it attracts people from across the political spectrum to their cause. The policy of vaccine mandates should be rolled back.

The vast majority of people being hospitalized with Omicron are the unvaccinated. You can argue that this is their own grave to dig, but their making GBS threads up the hospitals prevents people with other conditions from getting care and accelerates healthcare worker burnout.

Those are two very real crises that are being caused by people going unvaccinated. I don't think the existing vaccine mandates (which are nowhere near as restrictive as they could be) are going too far in trying to mitigate those crises.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Is it really "antagonizing" when they're already calling for your arrest and/or execution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Count Roland posted:

e: double vaxxed here, and I was an early and eager adopter. The vaccines are an amazing invention

There are no mandates. Restrictions are explicitly a passive coercion method. No one is forced to do anything

Vaccines to in general lower viral load which lowers infectivity, even if it does not sterilize. It also keeps people from deteriorating as far or as fast as they could and in general takes pressure off the already underfunded healthcare system. The only gift to the right wing that matters is the utter lack of management that has been applied to the security apparatus. Because neoliberals have a religious faith in markets to deal with things, just as the liberals did in the 1900s, a whole bunch of them are going to get a rude awakening and be liquidated as high capital switches their favor