Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Deeters posted:

Post big probes

*slaps bomber*
This baby can miss so many Argentinean airfields

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lewd

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

As a non basketball watcher (even if I do watch some sportsball albeit not so much anymore since the Giants have been sucking for the better part of a decade and the Yankees and Mets are ok, I guess), can someone tell me who the Charlotte Hornet (ha ha funny crow, gotta be more specific next time) in my Rap Sheet is?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 25, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GhostStalker posted:

As a non basketball watcher (even if I do watch some sportsball albeit not so much anymore since the Giants have been sucking for the better part of a decade), can someone tell me who the Charlotte Hornet (ha ha funny crow, gotta be more specific next time) in my Rap Sheet is?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Thanks, Kane. Got a present for ya!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Danaru's just mad that there are all those anime waifu plane skins but no red panda paintwork option.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Just slap a naval F-35 in my rap sheet. Give me that abomination against all that is good and holy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

But the Navy one is the good one!

At least, since they fixed the wings catching on fire.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Danaru's just mad that there are all those anime waifu plane skins but no red panda paintwork option.

Great, now I'M mad there's no red panda paintwork option :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's the marines' one that is an unholy fuckup of mission creep.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Lynneth posted:

Just slap a naval F-35 in my rap sheet. Give me that abomination against all that is good and holy.

Have they fished out the one that crashed into the South China Sea last month yet? I remember the Cantonese language pro-HK government commentary propaganda videos my aunt unfortunately consumes a shitton of made a big deal out of that.

Also, since now I know I need to be more specific, if my next probe could be with one of the im@s skins from AC6, I would appreciate it Crow.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

goatface posted:

It's the marines' one that is an unholy fuckup of mission creep.

That one then

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
When you were partying, I studied the dog fight. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the barrel roll. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated inner strength. And now that the world is on fire and the Belkans are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

When you were partying, I studied the dog fight. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the barrel roll. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated inner strength. And now that the world is on fire and the Belkans are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Quit your goddamn whining, Cipher, we know you're only sustained by Belkan blood and JP8

BTW Crow, it's been a while since I played, so when you edited in those shots of Cipher when Avril was talking about her grandpa watching his buddies get chewed up by an enemy ace, it gave me a real moment of "wait where the gently caress is she from, was her gramps Belkan? Or AWWNB??"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

Quit your goddamn whining, Cipher, we know you're only sustained by Belkan blood and JP8

BTW Crow, it's been a while since I played, so when you edited in those shots of Cipher when Avril was talking about her grandpa watching his buddies get chewed up by an enemy ace, it gave me a real moment of "wait where the gently caress is she from, was her gramps Belkan? Or AWWNB??"

Honestly, I was just trying to draw the comparison between Mihaly and Cipher being unstoppable mercenary monsters, but yeah I can see how you'd think that. Also Cipher flew for the Estovakians, so he probably killed Osean pilots at one point if he was paid enough to.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I miss those halcyon days after the trailers for this game first dropped where people were convinced Mihaly was actually Cipher

And also when we thought the Kestrel II was gonna be a giant boondoggle supership

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks Crow. Still waiting on an im@s probe though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fleet Destruction

Mission 11: Operation Siren’s Song – August 10th, 2019 | NO COMM

Overview: Trigger and Count are inducted into the OADF’s Long Range Strategic Strike Group (LRSSG) and its twin Strider and Cyclops Squadrons. While Trigger becomes the new flight lead of Strider Squadron, Count is assigned the role of Cyclops 2 under the LRSSG’s CAG, Wiseman. Their first mission as a part of the team is to assault the Erusean naval presence in White Valley Bay, specifically the Njord Fleet and naval platform installations.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by my dear friend, the Mad Welshman, JamieTheD. Jamie is the first inductee into the “Seven for Seven” club, having appeared in all seven (eight if you count Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy as separate games) LPs of this project. He will not be the last member of this club.

And as a matter of fact, he’s actually not even the first, as Jobbo_Fett deserves that title by ALSO appearing in every Ace Combat LP I’ve done, but I forgot I was doing this gimmick, so I didn’t credit him for it in Long Day. Oopsi.

STRIDER SQUADRON
Osean Air Defense Force, 124th Tactical Fighter Squadron
Members:
  • Strider 1 – [REDACTED] “Trigger” [REDACTED]
  • Strider 2 – [REDACTED] “Skald” [REDACTED]
  • Strider 3 – [REDACTED] “Jaeger” [REDACTED]
  • Strider 4 – [REDACTED] “Lanza” [REDACTED]
AWACS Operator: [REDACTED] “Long Caster” [REDACTED]
Squadron Composition: Player Determined, F-15C Eagle (x3)

Original an OADF deep reconnaissance flight, a disastrous engagement with the Erusean ace “Mister X” virtually obliterated the original incarnation of Strider Squadron.

As a part of the new LRSSG, the flight has been reformed under the leadership of its new Strider 1, the pilot known as Trigger. Strider is now the second of two separate flights comprising the Long Range Strategic Strike Group and subordinate to Cyclops Squadron under the team’s CAG Cyclops 1 Wiseman.

The squadron will conduct deep strikes into Erusean territory with only its fellow planes in Cyclops fight for backup in and effort to turn around Osea’s till-now flagging efforts in the war with Erusea.

CYCLOPS SQUADRON
Osean Air Defense Force, 122nd Tactical Fighter Squadron
Members:
  • Cyclops 1 – [REDACTED] “Wiseman” [REDACTED]
  • Cyclops 2 – [REDACTED] “Count” [REDACTED]
  • Cyclops 3 – [REDACTED] “Húxiān” [REDACTED]
  • Cyclops 4 – [REDACTED] “Fencer” [REDACTED]
AWACS Operator: [REDACTED] “Long Caster” [REDACTED]
Squadron Composition: PF-15C Eagle (x4)

Original an OADF deep reconnaissance flight, a disastrous engagement with the Erusean ace “Mister X” virtually obliterated the original incarnation of Cyclops Squadron. The only verified survivors of the engagement were Wiseman, Húxiān, and Jaeger (now transferred to Strider Squadron as Strider 3).

Much like Strider Squadron, Cyclops now acts as a part of the Long Range Strategic Strike Group, serving as the strike team’s lead squadron under CAG Cyclops 1 Wiseman.

In order to emphasize the fluidity of LRSSG’s role in the Osean battle doctrine, Wiseman has decided that aside from himself and Trigger as flight leads, neither roster of Cyclops or Strider Squadron will have a permanent formation. All six remaining LRSSG pilots should expect to be shuffled around the formation at a moment’s notice depending on the ever-changing situation in the war with Erusea.

WISEMAN
Callsign(s): Wiseman, Cyclops 1
Sex: Male
Nationality: Osea
Signature Plane: F-15C Eagle
Voice Actor: Patrick Seitz

The Commander Air Group of the Long Range Strategic Strike Group and flight lead of Cyclops Squadron.

A decorated and experienced air force veteran, Wiseman seems like he’s ready for just about anything this war is prepared to throw at him, even the utterly insane. Not only is he an exceptional pilot, Wiseman is also a gifted mentor as well, having shepherded many pilots on the journey from rookie to master over the course of his OADF career.

Able to read the tide of battle and the timbre of his subordinates like a master conductor can read sheet music, Wiseman knows exactly when to let things slide and when to crack the whip to get the best out of his pilots. The well-being of his subordinates is always top of mind, and he has prided himself thus far on having a near-perfect safe return percentage on all his sorties over the course of the Lighthouse War.

After seeing them in action at both Yinshi Valley and against the ADFX-10 drone over Bulgudarest, Wiseman has specifically requested both Trigger and Count join the LRSSG as permanent members to fill the two holes on the team’s roster. While Trigger’s raw skill is apparent to just about any observer, Wiseman seems to see immense untapped potential in Count as well, and is determined to draw it out and help it flourish to its fullest, even if it kills one or both of them to do it.

Ultimately, Wiseman is the boss of the LRSSG and his word is law. While Trigger may have a full squadron under his command at last, he is still subordinate to Cyclops 1 as company commander. However, it already appears that life under Wiseman will be somewhat easier than it was under the lash of Col. McKinsey or Bandog. Wiseman’s tactical flexibility and trust in his team means he’s able to deviate from the OADF’s standard operating procedure if need be, and he’s willing to buck the brass when the brass appear to be full of poo poo and full bound to get his people killed.

With Harling deader than a door nail now, Wiseman is probably about as close as we’re going to get from here on in to a replacement “Big Good”, to borrow a term from TV Tropes.

JAEGER
Callsign(s): Jaeger, Strider 3
Voice Actor: John DeMita

Plane Dad.

Another life-long veteran of the OADF, prior to Trigger and Count joining the team, Jaeger was the ad hoc second in command of the LRSSG under Wiseman. And although Trigger is now the flight lead of Strider Squadron, Jaeger’s voice still carries the most authority within the strike team after Wiseman’s. The two old timers have a deep friendship and loyalty to one another that no other members of the LRSSG seem to share.

A brand new father, his son, Erich, was born three years ago in 2016 and is the pride and joy of his life. Nearly every sortie results in a new story for him to tell the boy whenever he calls home on video chat or returns to Osea on leave. This parental pride and fatherly nature has begun to extend to the younger members of the LRSSG as well. He only wants the best for his squadron, and will back up Wiseman’s lessons with the occasional folksy fatherly piece of insight.

Nearly every penny of Jaeger’s military salary goes towards raising his son. Some would accuse him of spoiling the boy, but it seems like he’s trying to make up for the fact that he’s away so often on duty and still show his son that he loves him deeply, even if he’s not there all the time. It seems to be working though, as young Erich dreams of one day being a fighter pilot just like his father.

And yes, for the record it is in fact canonical that AC7’s Jaeger is the father of Ace Combat 3’s Erich Jaeger, one of Nemo’s wingmen on the UPEO route of the game. This means that unlike all the other characters in the game, Jaeger’s TAC Name is also his real last name.

HÚXIĀN
Callsign(s): Húxiān, Cyclops 3
Sex: Female
Voice Actor: Michelle Ruff

A scrappy fighter pilot originally from the slums of Oured.

The child of immigrants from Verusa, Húxiān had a rough and impoverished upbringing, often needing to steal food or clothing just to survive from day to day. She worked hard to earn a small savings, and when she was old enough, she fled the slums and applied to the Osean Air Defense Force. The OADF was struggling to rebuild after the Circum Pacific War and wasn’t turning away any applicants, regardless of social, economic, or educational status.

She quickly proved her skills behind a flight stick, and before long she was assigned to a flight position under Wiseman and Jaeger, beginning to form the core of what would ultimately become the Long Range Strategic Strike Group.

Her harsh childhood and teenage years left her tough and distrusting. She’s foul-mouthed and quick to get physical in self defense… or if someone just really needs a fist to their jaw.

While she remembers and appreciates Trigger for working his rear end off to save her and the rest of her squadron at Yinshi Valley while acting as a part of the 444th irregular forces, her opinion of Count is anything but stellar. She sees him as shameless glory hound and a shiftless coward, unwilling to lay his life on the line for others and always looking for an easy way out. Will that view change as time goes on? Only one way to find out.

Beyond that, she utterly adores Wiseman and will follow any order of his to the letter. In fact, he seems the be the one person in the world able to cut through her hotheaded rage if she gets herself going.

LANZA
Callsign(s): Lanza, Strider 4
Voice Actor: Uncredited

The unflappable one.

Lanza is the LRSSG’s most workman-like pilot and it shows. Not one to run his mouth unnecessarily, he doesn’t seem to be phased by anything, even if all hell is breaking loose right in front of him. He knows what’s important and what to focus on and he sticks to it.

While initially distrustful of Trigger’s skills as a pilot and as a flight lead, the engagement at Snider’s Top against the Njord Fleet has completely erased all doubts in the new Strider 1’s abilities and has earned Lanza’s loyalty.

As you can tell by the decreasing length of these character profiles, basically if you’re not Wiseman, Count, Jaeger or Húxiān, you don’t really matter to this group. Lanza skirts the bounds of that inner circle by also being there for just as many missions as the others do, and having enough of a personality that he doesn’t basically disappear like Skald and Fencer do, but really the only two moments anyone really remembers about Lanza involve a Coke can and a big maze, but we’ll get to those soon enough.

SKALD
Callsign(s): Skald, Strider 2
Voice Actor: Jalen K. Cassell

The showboat.

True his TAC Name’s lineage of that of a bard, Skald is often the colour commentary provider of the LRSSG on matters, that is if Húxiān, Count, or Jaeger don’t beat him to it. Much like Lanza, he’s initially wary of Trigger, in large part due to his criminal past as part of the 444th Penal Unit, but quickly comes around to understanding the way the new boss works.

From here out Skald just kind of fades into the background and it takes until the DLC for Project ACES to 1) remember that he exists, and 2) actually give him a personality that helps you identify him as a character. And even then it only lasts for one mission, really.

FENCER
Callsign(s): Fencer, Cyclops 4
Voice Actor: Stephen Weese

The strong silent type.

Even moreso than Skald or Lanza, Fencer says comparatively little and just quietly kicks rear end in the background. According to Wiseman, Fencer is Cyclops’s strongest pilot, even if Húxiān has a better gun kill rate than him.

Other than the occasional snippy comment about whatever crazy crap the LRSSG finds itself dealing with next, Fencer is largely invisible and unnoticed among the team. That’s kind of what happens when you have seven (eight if you include Trigger) competing personalities all pulling together for attention all at once. Someone always tends to fade into the background as the bigger egos suck up all the oxygen around them.

He even looks like the blandest possible option compared to the rest of the LRSSG. He’s effectively “what if Trigger talked occasionally, but wasn’t the center of attention.” He even kind of looks a bit like the blurry, grainy, barely discernible image we’ve seen of Trigger out of the cockpit. Young, square-jawed, and shaved headed. Hell, I even used Fencer’s portrait as the base for Trigger’s character picture all the way back at the start of the game if you feel like going back and checking.

LONG CASTER
Callsign(s): Long Caster
Signature Plane: E-767
Voice Actor: Tim Friedlander

Our actual AWACS of the game.

The AWACS operator assigned to the LRSSG. Long Caster is easygoing, yet highly professional, and certainly a complete 180 from Bandog in terms of personality and outlook. Unlike our miserable hard-nosed guard dog, the burger man is our consummate friend in the unfriendly skies from this point forward until the end of the game.

A passionate foodie, Long Caster has never been known to let a good meal get in the way of doing his job at the radar console. Any cuisine from any corner of the world, it’s all fair game to him. The world is one big giant food analogy just waiting to be coined, and the cornier the better.

Long Caster is probably, if not everyone’s favorite character in Ace Combat 7, then certainly everyone’s favorite AWACS at the very least. Though given his competition, it’s not that much of a contest all told. As noted above, the thing that makes Long Caster so endearing, aside from his radiant personality and faith in Trigger and Count, is that he’s basically just a walking food meme factory. Again, we’ll see this in full force in the DLC where everyone’s personalities are cranked up to 11 and the crazy poo poo really starts flying.

He’s also visual proof of Project ACES leaning into a good meme when they find one. When it came time to give the unseen characters profile pictures, PA chose a big honkin’ grease burger for Long Caster after the fandom went nuts for all his food takes over the course of the game.

INTEL
Callsign(s): None
Signature Plane: None
Voice Actor: Jamieson Price

Our second (third?) returning character from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, everyone’s favorite member of that game’s stellar, illustrious and memorable cast… The Briefing Guy!

Yes, Intel, the dude who basically stalked Wardog and later Razgriz Squadron all across Osea and Yuktobania, even when it was utterly implausible for him to be there, is back once again serving as the intelligence officer for the LRSSG. It’s up in the air whether or not it is actually the same dude especially because the LRSSG Briefing Guy does not share the same voice actor as the Briefing Guy from Ace Combat 5 in the Japanese dub. So this is most likely just the localization team having a bit of fun and bringing Jamieson Price back in to reprise his role from 5 for a further sense of continuity.

Anyway, much like his counterparts in previous games, Intel is as always stern and professional when laying out the deets of each mission. He allows himself the occasional rousing flourish at the end of certain briefings when it feels appropriate, but that’s about it. Gone, for better or worse, are McKinsey’s swilling dick orchestra of insults, contempt, threats, and two-faced platitudes. We are back in the legit military now after our stint in Plane Jail, and that means we’re back to stonefaced no fun briefings.

Admit it though, you miss him. You’d be cool if McKinsey just followed us around for the rest of the game giving the shittiest briefings possible, even under the LRSSG.

LRSSG

Formally known as the “Long Range Strategic Strike Group” or LRSSG for short.

Comprised of two four-plane flight groups, Strider and Cyclops Squadrons, the newly formed LRSSG is a clandestine long range fighter group intended to be the tip of the spear for the Osean counter strike operations against the Kingdom of Erusea.

Headquartered at New Arrows Air Base, a former ISAF facility located on an island near the FCU capital of Expo City, the LRSSG’s operational range is theoretically the entire width of the Usean continent and beyond, if need be.

Original a deep penetration reconnaissance team, Strider and Cyclops teams, already used to long range missions deep into enemy territory, have been reformed into a multi-purpose unit designed to attack targets well beyond the traditional range of Osean aircraft. Utilizing gaps in the Erusean drone deployment radar perimeter, the goal of the LRSSG is to weaken Erusean interests deep inside the red zone close to Erusea’s national borders and provide an ingress route for Osean and IUN-backed forces to approach Erusean territory. The ultimate goal being the eventual assault on and capture of the Erusean capital city of Farbanti on the west coast.

Designed as a lightning-fast “hit and fade” strike team, the LRSSG is intended to be a fluid and adaptive unit that can respond effectively to any situation without relying on any backup. Indeed, the long range nature of the strike group generally precludes the notion of reinforcements. If the LRSSG cannot deal with a situation on their own, then they cannot deal with the situation period.

The roster of the strike group is often in flux, with pilots rotating between squadrons almost every other mission. The lone consistent factors of the formation are its two flight leads, Cyclops 1 Wiseman, the Commander Air Group of the LRSSG, and Strider 1 Trigger. As such, the subordinate birds of the LRSSG have trained to rely on every one of their fellow pilots as a potential wingman in a flight element. While both squadrons often sortie together as a single unit, there are times when only one flight is sent out instead, usually Strider Squadron.

The LRSSG is basically going to become the anti-Sol Squadron, or at the very least Osea’s analog to them in terms of their fame and success ratio. It’s just another step in the ongoing dance between Trigger and Mihaly in the Rookie vs. Master rivalry, as now Trigger has his own roster of all-star backups to go toe-to-toe with Wit, Seymour, Hermann and Roald. At long last, we finally have a proper StarFox team to counter Mihaly’s StarWolf.

I’ve also been taken with the theory of late that the LRSSG is basically a Dungeons & Dragons adventuring party, largely based on their callsigns and roles within the group. They’re a team led by a wise Paladin (Wiseman, a wise man), and consist of a Hunter (Jaeger), a Thief (Count), a shape shifting Druid (Húxiān), a Bard (Skald), a Lancer (Lanza), a Swordsman (Fencer), and a Mage (Trigger, aka formerly Mage 2 and a legit missile wizard). And of course, Long Caster is our Dungeon Master. If you think this sounds insane, pin Blind Sally down and get him to explain to you his equally bonkers theory that the Fast and Furious movies have just been one giant ongoing D&D campaign DM’d by notorious D&D nerd Mark “Vin Diesel” Sinclair. It’s a hoot.

SNIDER’S TOP

The icy waters of Snider’s Top off the coast of northern Usea are no stranger to combat situations. In 1998, the region was the site of the climactic air-to-sea battle at the end of the Usean Allied Forces Operation Belissima, which saw the final destruction of the Usean Rebel Forces’ naval fleet, the destruction of their experimental XB-10 Big Bad Momma heavy command cruiser, and death of legendary Erusean ace pilot Edgar Grint and his Albireo Squadron, who had thrown in with the rebels.

The mountainous island in the middle of the Gulf of Usea is normally snowy all year round, and ice flows will often break off from the ice sheet surrounding the island and drift out into the bay, sometimes posing a hazard to any ships traversing the waters on route to Port Edwards in the south. The island is located halfway between White Valley Bay in the west, and the St. Ark peninsula to the east, with the only route of sea access being a narrow channel to the northeast.

Following the Erusean declaration of surrender in 2005 at the end of the Continental War, the Independent States Allied Forces constructed a pair of above-water naval platforms off the coast of Snider’s Top to defend Northern Usea from any encroaching threat. They would also replace the aging platform lost at the end of Operation Katina in 2006 which was captured by Free Erusea and then destroyed by Mobius 1.

The Eruseans have captured both platforms currently and are using them as a supply base for their northern naval contingent, Njord Fleet, previously stationed at Cape Rainy. If the fleet and facilities can be destroyed by the LRSSG, Erusea’s naval force projection capability will drop by over 50%, and the waters of eastern Usea will be secured for Osean and FCU naval elements to begin moving once again.

NJORD FLEET

Centered around the aircraft carrier Njord, the Njord Fleet is Erusea’s principle long range strike fleet and the successor to the lost “invincible” Aegir Fleet, previously sunk at Comberth Harbour by an an ISAF airstrike in 2004 during the previous Continental War.

The fleet has been based out of Snider’s Top for the past several months and has made establishing a naval foothold around eastern Usea nearly impossible. Reconnaissance flights and spy satellites have tracked the fleet to back to Snider’s Top and OADF Intelligence has recommended this strike window to eliminate as much of the fleet as possible in a single strike while it is resupplying at Snider’s Top.

Among the vessels in the fleet, the frigates Freyr, Hœnir, and Skaði have also been identified.

With the wipeout loss of the Njord Fleet and the naval platforms, the Erusean military has begun to scramble to fill the holes in is naval power. Elements of the Reserve Fleet have been activated and are standing by at Farbanti, and the mothballed Rán Fleet is being outfitted for combat now at Anchorhead Bay. Satellite surveillance photos have even shown what appears to be the alleged Erusean super submarine Alicorn departing Farbanti, suggesting the Eruseans mean to deploy it against the Osean Forces as well.

NJÖRÐR

If it’s Erusea, it’s Norse Mythology.

The namesake of the Njord Fleet is the Norse god Njörðr, a sea deity of the Vanir and the mother of the twin gods Freyr and Freya, they of the “this is where we get Friday (Freya’s Day) from”.

He was once married to the goddess Skaði, albeit somewhat disastrously. She was NOT the mother of Freyr and Freya, Njörðr accomplished that in true Game of Thrones fashion by loving his sister. So this guy is the Jaime Lannister of Asgard.

He appears in both the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda, and is believed to be a version of an earlier proto-Germanic fertility goddess, Nerthus. Njörðr is also one of the few survivors of Ragnarok, which Odin learns of after a battle of wits against the jotun Vafþrúðnir forces the giant to reveal the fates of all the gods to the All-father.

HUXIAN

Chinese for “Fox Immortal”, Húxiān is a traditional Chinese deity popular in northeastern China. Capable of shape shifting between human and fox forms, Húxiān can manifest as either a male or female avatar in order to seduce humans of any gender in exchange for wealth or property.

Their equivalent in Japanese Shintō mythology is that of Inari Ōkami.

ITALY?
Full Name: The Italian Republic
Capital: Rome
Continent: Verusa
Head of State: Tifa Lockheart
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Republic
Real World Analog: Italy

So thanks to Long Caster’s stomach, Italy exists in Strangereal… I guess.

Feel free to go and ponder all the implications that entails just from a single off-handed line about a restaurant.

Fleet Destruction is the first mission of Ace Combat 7 to feature more than one Named Ace in it. It is one of four missions in the game with multiple Named Aces, the others being the next mission, Mission 12, as well as Mission 15 and Mission 19.

Ibis
    Mathieu Bertin
    31, Male, Captain, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 310th Air Division, 6th Fighter Squadron
  • Plane: Su-33 Flanker-D
  • Mission 10
  • Spawn conditions: Fly through at least one section of the superstructure of the northern platform. Spawns near the eastern fleet and will attempt to flee northward out of the combat zone. If the aircraft carrier has already been sunk, it will spawn at the valley platform and attempt to flee northward.

quote:

Captain Mathieu Bertin

Callsign: Ibis

Unit: Erusean Royal Navy, Embarked Air Group Squadron 6

August 10, 2019 - Operation Siren's Song (Killed in Action)

He was assigned to the aircraft carrier Njord's air group when he was shot down by an Osean aircraft on 11 August. He was rescued by the frigate Heimdall, which was later sunk with him aboard. His name was later used for a new cruiser of the Erusean Royal Navy.

Chasseur
    Chris Azure
    26, Male, First Lieutenant, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 556th Air Division, 12th Fighter Squadron
  • Plane: Rafale M
  • Mission 10
  • Spawn conditions: Destroy all fighters on the northern platform before they can take off. Spawns directly ahead of the player 10,000m away.

quote:

First Lieutenant Chris Azure

Callsign: Chasseur

Unit: Erusean Royal Navy, Embarked Air Group Squadron 13

August 10, 2019 - Operation Siren's Song (Killed in Action)

During the battle of August 10, he scrambled to take off from Platform-L as it was bombed by Osean aircraft, but was shot down in the confusion shortly after escaping their attack. He ejected into the cold seas, but was never recovered. He is presumed dead.

Tracks featured in Mission 11:

DISC 2

DISC 3

So it looks like it’s still a tight race between Psycho Landlord and Geemer for the top spot with a horrifying 7 and a half days spent in posting jail between them over the course of this LP thus far. Amazing.

I can see why all of you other losers have just given the gently caress up on even posting in this thread any more because there’s clearly no beating them. Or is there? If you want to make it up to me, stroke my ego and vote this thread :five:.

• Psycho Landlord: 90h
  • Geemer: 90h
  • Jobbo_Fett: 72h
  • nine-gear crow: 66h
  • Waffleman_: 60h
  • MayOrMayNotBeACat: 60h
  • Sally: 54h
  • Bliss Authority: 42h
  • GhostStalker: 42h
  • Deeters: 42h
  • Dr. Snark: 42h
  • HereticMIND: 36h
  • Danaru: 36h
  • Triggerhappypilot: 30h
  • Serperoth: 30
  • Crazy Achmed: 30
  • biosterous: 30
  • Professor Duck: 30
  • Back Hack: 24h
  • Shinjobi: 24h
  • Kal-L: 24h
  • Hwurmp: 24h
  • M_Gargantua: 24h
  • Paingod556: 24h
  • Phy: 24h
  • Cooked Auto: 18h
  • Veloxyll: 18h
  • WaltherFeng: 18h
  • Materant: 18h
  • Lynneth: 18h
  • Psion: 12
  • loving love Fiona Apple: 12h
  • Kith: 12h
  • goatface: 12h
  • maruhkati: 6h
  • CJacobs: 6h
  • AradoBalanga: 6h
  • Carvor: 6h
  • KDavisJr: 6h
  • Gervasius: 6h
  • dervinosdoom: 6h
  • chiasaur11: 6h
  • sb hermit: 6h
  • Paingod556: 6h
  • Sindai: 6h
  • Seth Pecksniff: 6h
  • Gamerofthegame: 6h
  • HerTogg: 6h
  • Mathwyn: 6h
  • Mshadowy: 6h
  • Radio Free Kobold: 6h
  • ZoninSilver: 6h
  • paragon1: 6h
  • Mr.Flibble: 6h

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 19, 2023

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

There. I voted five. I’ve fed your ego.

NOW GIMME MY drat F-16 YOU COWARD.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer and I both would be higher if y'all were more vigilant :colbert:

Also fleet destruction is one of the best missions in the game, there's a lot of stupid fun to be had here with a variety of loadouts, plus the LRSSG is refreshing after several missions of cartoonishly lovely people and tabloid

e: I voted 1

e2: I enjoy ham

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2022

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I can see why all of you other losers have just given the gently caress up on even posting in this thread any more because there’s clearly no beating them. Or is there? If you want to make it up to me, stroke my ego and vote this thread :five:.
I voted 15

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All hail Lunch Caster

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve also been taken with the theory of late that the LRSSG is basically a Dungeons & Dragons adventuring party, largely based on their callsigns and roles within the group. They’re a team led by a wise Paladin (Wiseman, a wise man), and consist of a Hunter (Jaeger), a Thief (Count), a shape shifting Druid (Húxiān), a Bard (Skald), a Lancer (Lanza), a Swordsman (Fencer), and a Mage (Trigger, aka formerly Mage 2 and a legit missile wizard). And of course, Long Caster is our Dungeon Master. If you think this sounds insane, pin Blind Sally down and get him to explain to you his equally bonkers theory that the Fast and Furious movies have just been one giant ongoing D&D campaign DM’d by notorious D&D nerd Mark “Vin Diesel” Sinclair. It’s a hoot.

Is the F&F thing really that bonkers? I've thought the same for years, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere around the net. I certainly could have picked it up here from something Sally said once. The LRSSG-as-party is a neat idea, though.

And, of course, "Strider" squadron in the context of the OADF's fantasy theme naming (and their function as Rangers!) has me wondering if The Lord Of The Rings exists in Strangereal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I always figured this game had a huge caster bias.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd apologize for the Raine Bandog image, but instead I'll put the blame firmly with Sally who demanded true shitposts. Nice probe you gave Danaru tho.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Geemer and I both would be higher if y'all were more vigilant :colbert:

e: voted 5 because honestly it's been real fun to get invited to shitpost and just let loose. Sure as hell helped burn off some work related stress.

Is Mexican food a thing in Strangereal? 'Cause that's good eatin'.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 10, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Crow wants everyone to vote 5 and gold the thread to stop FREE ACCESS to his content.

STOP THE STEAL! MANDATE FREEDOM!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A peace offering of sorts.

Long Caster! Watch out!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Siren's Song is my favorite musical track in the game. Yes, I know Daredevil is the most impressive and emotional track, but I love the contrast between the chorus and the electric guitars here. It's just so much fun.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Inglonias posted:

Siren's Song is my favorite musical track in the game. Yes, I know Daredevil is the most impressive and emotional track, but I love the contrast between the chorus and the electric guitars here. It's just so much fun.

We have yet to hear the best song in the game and it isn't daredevil :getin:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Just wish the album version was a bit longer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And finally, Trigger's in the number 1 position. Took his time about it, spending half the game as Mage 2 or Spare 15, but now Trigger actually has his own unit. (I mean, in practice they still do their own thing while Trigger kills everything in sight, but it's the thought that counts.) It's an interesting change of pace from the usual, where Mobius, Cipher, Talisman, and the rest tend to be in charge from the jump, with Blaze getting promoted basically because he's the player character. Trigger, by contrast, has to earn his way to the number one spot, proving he's the deadliest thing in the skies after going through mountains of bullshit.

This mission, although it's not necessarily easy, is kind of a reward for enduring McKinsey for so long. You're given infinite ammo, a lot of targets, and fun ways to quickly rack up points if you're good enough. It's a chance to work out all your plane jail aggression on unsuspecting Eruseans, and that's always fun.

I'll go off from the standard here and say that, while Long Caster is fine, I liked Bandog better. They're both highly capable, but Bandog's vitriolic exchanges with the rest of the squad were one of the best parts of Spare. (Similarly, Wiseman dunking on Count is one of the best parts of Strider.)

But yeah. Trigger. This mission does further his role as a character with the Three Strikes. While his reputation isn't as strong as some protagonists, yet, those sin lines are becoming a calling card. Trigger looked at his reputation as the worst of a gang of murderers and thieves being sent on suicide missions and went "Sounds badass", keeping his markings as a sign of pride instead of ditching them like Count. It's another sign of personality in a role that normally lacks it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Voted 5, went hog wild. Gonna serve up a burger for lunch tomorrow, I guess.

One of my favorite missions of the game, Long Caster and the LRSSG is a breath of fresh air after plane jail.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
pulse laser trivializes that mission? it trivializes the entire game!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Count: Why are you #1 while I'm still #2?

Because you're a piece of poo poo, Count, that's why.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I never played any Ace Combat games before 7.

I was relatively ambivalent on what was happening for a lot of this game.

Then I played mission 11.

This is one of the most masterful pieces of ludonarrative storytelling I've ever seen in a game.

The missions as part of Spare Squadron as you play feel confined. Yes, you get two rack up the points missions but when you play the first time these are among the most difficult you'll face. The first because you lack the planes to deal with the point requirement, the second because the search and destroy after the initial will be trying on any bombing aircraft you brought with you.

The previous two missions involve you needing to hide under cloud cover to avoid missile fire and to stay glued to the insane camp commander to make sure the idiot doesn't die.

I feel like the intent of the game is to make you feel confined for every moment that you're part of Spare Squadron.

And then you leave.

And the game gives you this.

A single mission, where you have a single score and nothing else. A fallback line so that you can't run out of missiles and the amazing ability to take down entire platforms with accurate fire.

They created a mission that was intentionally built on the idea that now you're free. And it just plays out perfectly. It gives room for you to feel like a member of the LRSSG. The jokes actually have time to land and you get some idea of the impact and meaning of these guys to you.

But on top of all of that, you've still got Count along with you. And his interplay with Wiseman on this map is just an absolute joy to see. Nobody believed in him and here is Wiseman, treating him like the prodigal son.

This is honestly one of the best single missions in games for what it does and I am so so jealous that Jamie got to commentate along with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Crow is slightly less than great at arcade flying games!

(here's a silly Typhoon; that is how you do this, right?)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2022

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

ITALY?
Full Name: The Italian Republic
Capital: Rome
Continent: Verusa
Head of State: Tifa Lockheart
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Republic
Real World Analog: Italy

Don't think I didn't notice that bit there Crow, I now have several questions

also I hate that you're still alluding to the DLC missions in drat near every mission description goddammit its like holding drugs in front of a recovering addict you sick bastard :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I should also probably mention that there was supposed to be a boss fight with Sol Squadron at the end of this mission at one point. You can pick up on the remnants of this beat in a few things in this mission like Jaeger's spooky story about the King of the Skies, the folks on the platform talking about the Experimental Squadron, and you can hear Mihaly's leitmotif in "Siren's Song" too.

I'm guessing it was removed for a bunch of obvious reasons. Like how it was WAY too early to pit Sol and the LRSSG against eachother. And the mission has its hands full already introducing the new team that capping it off with a boss fight would just be too much.

But the cutscene data for their arrival is still in the game's code and triggerable through hacking.