Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StVLDhk0Fog

what a visual style, so nice. couldn't figure out when it came out though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

admittedly it's been probably quite literally 20 years since i've played it and so i was but a teen who didnt understand videogames but i thought the star levels just determined the maximum cap for levels. everyone got the stars but the characters you didn't use still had to level by fighting in so and so many battles before they could hit the cap compared to the people who you used all the time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It turns out that NFTs continue to be a wakeup call for employees that their company sucks based on the fallout from Team17's recent dabbling, sounds like the staff are in revolt.

This is one to read because boy howdy there are some odd levels to it!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think if you're ever yelling about how ethical you are it's time to question some decisions

Bestwick posted:

A day after the Worms NFT announcement, though before its cancellation, various staff say they read a Facebook post by Bestwick which has since been shared with Eurogamer. In it, she expressed frustration with the announcement's reaction and "shock" at peers who had criticised the plans. Bestwick concluded: "I dare anyone to question my ethics tbh!"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The internal FAQ about the Worms NFT scheme had this item: "I don't ethically believe in NFTs; does this mean I cannot share that opinion on social media channels after the partnership has been announced?"

The answer, of course, was (paraphrased) "we can't control what you say but if we notice you saying something negative publicly we'll probably fire you".

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's how I'm quitting my current job. Just gonna stand up on my desk and scream I DARE ANYONE TO QUESTION MY ETHICS TBH!!!!

(yes I will actually 'tee bee aych')

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
reminder, don't buy games you're not going to play soon: XCOM2 collection is only $7 atm, half of what I paid just a month or so ago. 5 or so dollars wasted!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not really my thing, but the art & animation is pretty impressive for a two-man team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqVdtIbwcao

E:Oh, I guess this is just the GOG launch trailer, it's been on Steam for like 2 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
got recommended this game Signs of the Sojourner

the first chapter is free

the game only has 99 reviews, which is maybe the least I have ever seen

but it's an insanely good game. it's a card game but it's VERY different from usual... just try it. it's so weird. and great.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058690/Signs_of_the_Sojourner/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Disgaea 6 got a store page and a summer release date: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1749750/Disgaea_6_Complete/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Though I don’t remember hearing much good about it when it came out on Switch last year.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

precision posted:

but it's an insanely good game. it's a card game but it's VERY different from usual... just try it. it's so weird. and great.

I'll go ahead and bring this up because this game still has zero reviews despite the fact that it has continued to receive updates since launch, with the most recent being just two weeks ago:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'd like to introduce you and everyone else to Death by FrostByte - a game that came out on March 10th, 2021 and even had its first major content patch on July 12th, but somehow does not have a single review - and of the (assumedly very small) group of players that has purchased it, no achievement has been earned by more than 12.9% of them.

Of course The Sun at Night has a 7-year head-start on its release. These indie games that were seemingly forever untouched are sad to think about.

e: Even though The Sun At Night says 4 user reviews on the steam page, if you scroll down to the review section there are about 50 :confused:

I don't know if it's any good and I'm not planning to find out but I feel bad for the devs :( It apparently had a successful Kickstarter though, earning $361 :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 11, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Disgaea 6 got a store page and a summer release date: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1749750/Disgaea_6_Complete/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Though I don’t remember hearing much good about it when it came out on Switch last year.

The only thing I recall hearing was it had performance issues on the Switch.

I'll probably buy it regardless because I am a colossal sucker for Disgaea.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know if it's any good and I'm not planning to find out but I feel bad for the devs :( It apparently had a successful Kickstarter though, earning $361 :v:

Also only a single non-dev post on the discussion forum (and it's just someone that I think was asking for a key). Oof.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Anno posted:

A big part of the appeal of Disgaea is the large roster of character classes, both human and monster, and their active and passive skill blending to create weird OP teams.

...but this one has fewer classes than the first Disgaea, which isn't great. (I believe if you count unique characters as unique classes, which is a fair view, it actually has more... post-DLC)

It also has less weird progression options and poo poo, and combined with the Switch performance issues means I, an inveterate DIsgaeahead, gave it a pass. I'm sure I'd have fun with it, but I didn't want to pay the relatively high price for something that lacks what I'm looking for. The company did explicitly say that they're looking back at the lessons they learned from 6 for the next game, though, so that's good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anno posted:

I liked it a lot. Demon Intelligence was a cool thing to add and I liked tweaking autoplay setups with that to do mass grinding while I do other things. Which, you know, sounds weird but..I found that fun.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked it a lot. Demon Intelligence was a cool thing to add and I liked tweaking autoplay setups with that to do mass grinding while I do other things. Which, you know, sounds weird but..I found that fun.

The DI stuff has me interested as well. Though I do not like the look of all the microtransactions/"DLC" they are already advertising though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

precision posted:

I got this game a while back through the Racial Justice itch.io sale and just, whew

As a person with social anxiety, it is both stressful and therapeutic. I'll probably never play it again, but I'll always remember it over most of the backlog dreck

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zil posted:

The DI stuff has me interested as well. Though I do not like the look of all the microtransactions/"DLC" they are already advertising though.

Yeah the booster tickets were dumb and I never used them tbh, cutting 100 runs worth of experience isn't worth the cost at all and it didn't stop me from doing Rakshasa Dimension at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Couple hours into Know By Heart now and I'm waiting for the shoe to drop lol, Pathologic has me anticipating it. It took me a while to even realize that time wasn't perpetually moving forward :v:

precision posted:

It's on Game Pass too, or was

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StVLDhk0Fog

what a visual style, so nice. couldn't figure out when it came out though

Animal well looks so good, thanks for the tip. Hopefully sooner than later, although the Q1 is pretty jam-packed already.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The upcoming Warhammer XCom-like looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Yd9hvfn0I

I don't get why exactly they got Andy Serkis to voice the mission giving guy and Jair Bolsonaro Mortarion as final boss seems too ballsy but it looks meaty and the "VATS" system is a fun addition

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:bisonyes:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Word on the street is this version of Disgaea 6 will run at more than 2 fps.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Word on the street is this version of Disgaea 6 will run at more than 2 fps.

I'll take the cinematic 1 fps over 2 fps

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This looks pretty rad if you were into Blast Corps in the 90s. They also wrote/performed a catchy song for this trailer?

https://twitter.com/radiangames/status/1491773700244492289

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Eh, looks more like it's just another build-a-vehicle sandbox game like Besiege.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I need to do an effortpost on hidden gems at some point, but for now let me just put in a plug for 8Doors: Arum's Afterlife Adventure. It's a combat-oriented metroidvania based on Korean mythology with a pretty good story and beautiful graphics. The only complaint I have is that the normal difficulty would be labeled as hard in a lot of other games and the story mode is a little too easy (but not trivial).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Trip report from Prototype 2.
It's fun.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Crossposting from the scootyfruit thread. Amazon lost player's characters again after server maintenance.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Welp, apparently Amazon lost a bunch of player's characters in their new game Lost Ark.

Characters are missing, but people are unable to create new characters on the same server because the game detects they already have a character there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A testament to the value of AWS's offerings.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amazon games is just such beautiful schadenfreude all the time. Have they managed a single thing that wasn't a cluster gently caress

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
They supposedly didn't lose the characters. They are, however, saying that everything is fine while the servers are still down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like what happened with the Diablo 2 remaster, where Blizz servers would go down and there was zero indication to the user that was the case so it just looked like all your characters were gone

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Amazon games is just such beautiful schadenfreude all the time. Have they managed a single thing that wasn't a cluster gently caress

Isn't Lost Ark all Smilegate and Amazon is just publishing it

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sab669 posted:

Sounds like what happened with the Diablo 2 remaster, where Blizz servers would go down and there was zero indication to the user that was the case so it just looked like all your characters were gone

It's probably a completely benign server or routing issue that didn't threaten player data at all. It's kind of funny but I've never seen an MMO launch go off without a hitch so:shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea actually losing data is kinda hard to do. But all the interconnected services are easy to break / misconfigure

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm closing in on the end of Know By Heart, it's really good. Not at all like Pathologic (except on some themes), it's much smaller scale and essentially a point and click adventure with mini games, but the art, music and writing are top-notch. No hunger meter or anything lmao. Definitely pick it up but prepare for a kick to the emotions

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dumb noob question, ive never used Steam on another pc, does the steam cloud do saves well? If I were to just login on another pc having played Elden Ring for some hours on a home pc can I pick up where I left off?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s up to the game IIRC. Most new games it’s pretty seamless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MrYenko posted:

It’s up to the game IIRC. Most new games it’s pretty seamless.

Pretty sure this is the case. I recently got a new PC and my Last Epoch saves were all there but my Siralim file got lost 😕