Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got about 4K Gems left and I'm pretty much tapped out on incoming free gems. Should I keep buying Eldlich packs and hope I pull 2 more copies of Golden Boi, or suck it up and burn 60 UR crafting points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I got about 4K Gems left and I'm pretty much tapped out on incoming free gems. Should I keep buying Eldlich packs and hope I pull 2 more copies of Golden Boi, or suck it up and burn 60 UR crafting points?

Thats rough, hard to say whats best. Have you any other decks and are they decent? If you dont plan on doing other decks cos you have some you like Id maybe pull for it... not sure though

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Self banish is a decent rogue strategy, there's cards that banish a bunch as a cost to give you a powerful effect (eg Pot of Desires, Eater of Millions, Gizmek Orochi). Gren Maju da Eiza is legitimately a terrifying card.

Don't forget Banquet of Millions, the card that lets you banish your entire extra deck to banish your opponent's entire extra deck.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

King of Solomon posted:

Don't forget Banquet of Millions, the card that lets you banish your entire extra deck to banish your opponent's entire extra deck.

That is something.. I have to try this. There must be issues with a deck like this or eldich wouldnt be the most popular deck...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Touchdown Boy posted:

Thats rough, hard to say whats best. Have you any other decks and are they decent? If you dont plan on doing other decks cos you have some you like Id maybe pull for it... not sure though

Let's see.

I have a complete domain monarch deck that pretty decent. I need to craft more of the common staples (Maxx C, etc) to reduce the brick rate.

I have an elementsaber deck that's missing a core card or two. And whatever tech choices I feel like, Dark Armed Dragon and such

Eldlich, where the only core Eldlich I need is Golden Boi. Still have to craft staples

The kicker is that I bought a few Burning Abyss packs in the beginning and didn't know what I was doing. I would like to save my gems for this and finish it off

e- I have a finishes budget Prank Kids as well

tl;dr - I want to save my URs to craft staples, but I want to save gems to finish the BA deck. I've gotten more copies of the Eldlich fusion monster than Eldlich itself from pulls, which is really annoying

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 11, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I chose a stupidly expensive deck in terms of URs and literally don't have enough gems/crafting mats to even make a shell of other decks I might be interested in :negative: I have managed to pilot it up to Plat 2 now but I'm getting bored of only playing Dinosaur beatdown.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah I was the same I had 4 from the extra deck version and 2 normal ones. Id probably craft so you can move on with your life. I know its less efficient but having decks you can play is probably slightly more important.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Zore posted:

I chose a stupidly expensive deck in terms of URs and literally don't have enough gems/crafting mats to even make a shell of other decks I might be interested in :negative: I have managed to pilot it up to Plat 2 now but I'm getting bored of only playing Dinosaur beatdown.

Someone suggested to me to start a new account and use what you have learned to go again? Not sure if thats viable for you or not.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of burner accounts, I decided to try out Six Samurai for a bit, as it was an archetype I was still vaguely familiar with from the DS games. So I pulled a list that looked promising and pulled it together, then took it into the single player mode so I'd have a few dry runs under my belt before taking it online. And as I durdled my way through half my deck it began feeling so tedious. Like... I had a general end goal in mind, but the endless looping and the fiddling with Bushido counters just wasn't fun. I'm sure I could take a few hours to sit down and memorize the lines, but after being on the other end of turns like that for so many times I think I'll just stick with Pendulum Magician decks as the most complicated strategy I'll subject my opponent to.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Speaking of Magicians, what good Spellcaster archetypes are there?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AweStriker posted:

Endymions I know are actually pretty decent, if you can parse pendulum summoning and the literal wordiest card effects in the game. I also know Dark Magician has some fun tricks.

I think Invoked and Shaddolls are both mostly but not entirely Spellcasters?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skios posted:

Speaking of burner accounts, I decided to try out Six Samurai for a bit, as it was an archetype I was still vaguely familiar with from the DS games. So I pulled a list that looked promising and pulled it together, then took it into the single player mode so I'd have a few dry runs under my belt before taking it online. And as I durdled my way through half my deck it began feeling so tedious. Like... I had a general end goal in mind, but the endless looping and the fiddling with Bushido counters just wasn't fun. I'm sure I could take a few hours to sit down and memorize the lines, but after being on the other end of turns like that for so many times I think I'll just stick with Pendulum Magician decks as the most complicated strategy I'll subject my opponent to.
Yeah the pre "hard once per turn" 5Ds decks tend to be a lot less consistent but capable of absurd, near endless plays. See also: Infernities

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AweStriker posted:

Invoked and Shaddolls and Dogmatika are all varying levels of meta.

Pendulum Magicians and Endymion are both solid and strong.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Touchdown Boy posted:

Someone suggested to me to start a new account and use what you have learned to go again? Not sure if thats viable for you or not.

I have put way too much time into the game already and thinking about having to re-do all the SP content for stuff feels incredibly :effort:. I'll probably just see if I can grind to Plat 1 to say that I did and bow out for a while until they have some events to get more gems.

I will say once you get through the Plat 5 firewall you're way more likely to see people mostly loving around with fun gimmick decks instead of the endless stream of Eldlich/Drytron/Tri-Brigade and the game is a lot more fun again. Just had someone beat me with a really dumb burn deck and had someone else playing an honest to god Egyptian God card deck which was hilarious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vandar posted:

Invoked and Shaddolls and Dogmatika are all varying levels of meta.
And "Invoked and Shaddolls and Dogmatika" is also meta.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Generally speaking, what sky striker should I be bringing out if I go first? I mostly use Hayate if I go second

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regardless of whether you're going first or second you almost always want to make Shizuku last so you can search a card in the end phase (Engage if possible). But that doesn't stop you from making Hayate for the battle phase and Kagari to get a card back first. You aren't really choosing between your mechs, you're summoning every one that's useful, using its effect then making another one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Regardless of whether you're going first or second you almost always want to make Shizuku last so you can search a card in the end phase (Engage if possible). But that doesn't stop you from making Hayate for the battle phase and Kagari to get a card back first. You aren't really choosing between your mechs, you're summoning every one that's useful, using its effect then making another one.

Oh, well I guess that makes sense then.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

girl dick energy posted:

The legacy packs are almost entirely useless

You can get lucky

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Touchdown Boy posted:

That is something.. I have to try this. There must be issues with a deck like this or eldich wouldnt be the most popular deck...
We were talking about banish deck in discord that very morning. We worked how to get those opponent’s returning card send to grave instead, or rebanish them permanently with certain cards.

Then we replaced it with Zaborg the Mega as the banish card instead, the combo extend into some ritual combo that I stopped since I don’t know much about them and I was supposed to build this for the xyz tourny. :v:

I am going with token deck instead btw. XYZ can’t use or tribute them, so that’s way easier than getting rid of their extra deck.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, well I guess that makes sense then.

It’s taken me a long time to work out the rhythm for this and it depends a bit on the state of the board but yeah typically you would:
Summon Hayate, attack directly, send spell to graveyard
Summon Kagari (be choosey here since you only get one) to retrieve spell from graveyard
Summon Shizuku to pull another spell at the end of the turn.

The idea is to make sure you have widow anchor and a couple other goodies on hand at all times, and minimum 3 spells in the graveyard, so you can keep preventing them from doing anything meaningful. Eventually you’ll have fizzled all their combos and they will surrender.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

To add on the Sky Striker stuff, you would also like to end with Multirole with Shizuku so you can bring back Engage so that Shizuku can actually search for Engage, which will give you a crazy amount of cards if you survive. If course, having a set Widow Anchor is probably more important if you don't already have one.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

The legacy packs are almost entirely useless, and are packed together as "cards that showed up in the anime and that no one would otherwise want." Mystical Refpanel was actually important in one duel, and all the good important cards are in other packs, so it's kind of winning UR by default.

I think my worst pull out of a legacy pack has been of all things World Legacy Armor.

It’s a relatively recent-seeming card, yes, but you also get a free playset of it anyway, so now I just have an extra one I can’t do anything with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
People who only kind of understand how Drytron works are way more fun to go up against than people who actually understand Drytron. I'm talking the people who know what they need to be building, but haven't figured out how to get it all online at once.

Herald of Ultimateness is an actually kinda fun puzzle to play past when it's pretty much the only thing they've got, and it didn't take ten minutes before they let you try.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Were Drytrons invented by the anime as an archetype used by a smug villain for the protagonist to outsmart? Because they have that kind of energy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

girl dick energy posted:

Were Drytrons invented by the anime as an archetype used by a smug villain for the protagonist to outsmart? Because they have that kind of energy.

Nope. Card game original idea to make rituals good again.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

girl dick energy posted:

They were not, they were part of a build pack (a pack focused around ~3 archetypes). You are, however, correct that they could be used by some arsehole from the anime.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It was used in the OCG Structures manga, which is not the usual yugioh but sort of a companion manga to the game to explain some of the decks.
It was used by a powergaming edgelord and featured the Benten loop, but not Ultimateness.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

People who only kind of understand how Drytron works are way more fun to go up against than people who actually understand Drytron. I'm talking the people who know what they need to be building, but haven't figured out how to get it all online at once.

Herald of Ultimateness is an actually kinda fun puzzle to play past when it's pretty much the only thing they've got, and it didn't take ten minutes before they let you try.

Fun puzzle solved by summoning a dumb kaiju

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that exodia deck sucks lol, i had an ash but what effect do you even choose. they have a billion draw ones so i decided to ash the first draw two i saw but i think that might have been incorrect since i still lost

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what it's win rate is?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm only playing maybe a couple times a day because the gameplay can feel agonizingly slow, but I got back to gold on a 10+ game win streak with Sky Strikers and it seems like everything below gold is garbage that folds to any kind of decent meta deck. I see a bunch of stuff like Blue Eyes, Dark Magician, or Junk, all poo poo that can't do anything more than attack maybe once and then I either break them down slowly if my opening hand wasn't any good or hard summon an Ash/Effect Veiler on my second turn and climb into Accesscode and then ruin their day. Not that I'm even any good at the game, but the lower ranks are just really bad and boring to play against.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. You don't really need to play sub-gold again if you make it to Platinum though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Early Plat is kind of miserable because its almost exclusively stacked with meta-decks being piloted by flowchart. Once you get past that though you start running into some really weird and fun poo poo.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
Played against a plat 1 guy who was trying for the gain life missions, immortal of thunder, draining shield, golden ladybug, all the greats and no wincon whatsoever.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Trying to get through Gold with Domain Monarchs is a trip. I can win 3 straight when I establish the special summon lockdown, then I will immediately lose 6 straight because of the high brick rate. Maybe I should learn how to play the Eldlich deck I made

I wonder if Konami is going to implement an Xyz-only banlist or something. Otherwise, I expect everyone will swap out their Maxx C for Flying C and poopoo the entire event

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm currently working my way up through gold with True Draco control. You definitely get people making the weirdest plays. I went up against someone who activated Maxx "C" in response to my Pot of Duality (which specifically states you can't Special Summon for the rest of your turn). That player eventually surrendered after going into an Accesscode Talker, trying to activate it repeatedly while Skill Drain was up, eventually banishing Accesscode Talker to pay for its own ability, then surrendering.

The deck seems to be doing fairly well in gold. About a third of my games, I'll open up with one or two floodgates and my opponent surrenders immediately. I had a game against some sort of ritual deck that started their turn with a Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands, in response to which I activated Skill Drain. This was followed by Pre-Preparation Rites, to which I responded with Royal Decree. However, if I don't open with enough floodgates to convince my opponent to surrender, the games can get very long and grindy. Long games for True Draco are probably the closest I've gotten to playing a style of control that's similar to Magic: the Gathering, where you shut down your opponent's early threats, then slowly grind out a victory through incremental advantages.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm on like a twelve-game win streak with Crusadia OTK and it's amazing how much the deck just doesn't care about what the opponent is doing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Accesscode Talker banishes itself for the cost of the effect it can actually kill Skill Drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Just building my decks for the new extra deck specific tourneys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!