Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Another great one. It's amazing what families can accomplish when everyone is communicating and in touch with their emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you don't like dogs (like me), the sensible thing is to not date people with dogs. Just don't do it! Like that short guy with a complex, just don't date women that aren't at least a head shorter than you! Just don't do it!

I totally feel ya and it's easy if you have patience and a panoply of options, but I think it's almost part of the human condition to have a few relationships where everything is ideal but that one thing and trying to whistle past it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

op has made progress being around the dog. she can continue working on it before moving in. If that doesn't work, she shouldn't move in at all

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Another great one. It's amazing what families can accomplish when everyone is communicating and in touch with their emotions.

That kid seems incredibly mature and grounded for 15.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for dropping out of my friends wedding and refusing to attend it unless she changes the venue?

quote:

My best friend recently got engaged and asked me to be her maid of honor. I of course, said yes and I was really excited to be involved in the planning process! Fast forward to a couple months later and my friend tells me she plans on having a plantation wedding. At first I thought this was a joke, my friend is pretty politically aware so I assumed she was joking. Turns out she isn’t.

Her fiancé’s family as a tradition of having a wedding at that specific venue which is…strange to me? As a black woman I told her I won’t be attending the wedding or participating in it any longer if she plans on having a plantation wedding. She can do what she wants, but a place like that is not for me.

She’s now angry at me, calling me selfish and saying I’m ruining her dream day, etc. etc. Some of our mutual friends have told me that I’m overreacting and it’s not a big deal, since bad things happen everywhere so now I’m confused. AITA for refusing to attend my friend’s plantation wedding?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Give me my ~*dream day*~ (and also your dignity)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for dropping out of my friends wedding and refusing to attend it unless she changes the venue?

She should recreate the last scene from Django Unchained

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Goldstein wedding at Bergen-Belsen, business casual attire

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Soylent Pudding posted:

Some of our mutual friends have told me that I’m overreacting and it’s not a big deal, since bad things happen everywhere
Yeah great point. Happy to announce I'm getting married at Donner Lake this December.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

sure it used to be a residential school and they discovered child skeletons in unmarked graves in the back but they really did a lot to spruce the place up and it's my special dayyyyyyy

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DandyLion posted:

Goldstein wedding at Bergen-Belsen, business casual attire

I knew a Jewish woman who wanted to conceive at Auschwitz as a gently caress you to the Nazis. I encouraged her to discuss that with her therapist. We are not friends anymore so no clue if that plan worked out or not.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The state can only force you to pay child support but most settled divorces involve some negotiated provisions that both parties agree to. Think of it like a contract, but instead of enforcing the order in regular court by breach of contract you put your dad in front of a family court judge on contempt charges.

if you duck your child support for 18yrs the state still wants the money payed to the person owed. which state your case is in will determine if they even make it a priority but ca will come at your rear end hard. my youngest siblings are all 21+ and their dad is still trying to duck child support. he lost his drivers lisence 3 yrs ago

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scags McDouglas posted:

I totally feel ya and it's easy if you have patience and a panoply of options, but I think it's almost part of the human condition to have a few relationships where everything is ideal but that one thing and trying to whistle past it.

There's always the "just don't date anyone if literally everyone you've met so far has a dealbreaker" option which way more people should take.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

she's the sidepiece, right?

Yep:

quote:

Edit 3 - I googled his property records for his house and HE CO OWNS IT WITH A WOMAN WHO SHARES HIS LAST NAME! holy poo poo... I don't know if she's his wife or ex wife or what but I'm OUT OF HERE. I'm honestly freaking out right now but I just gotta say .. great big thank you to everyone who noticed red flags and made me question that. I've blocked his number, he can have fun figuring out where I went.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the planation I toured had the slave quarters out back, I wonder if that one does weddings

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soylent Pudding posted:

Clearly she needs to follow the example of that one guy who showed up to his work party at a plantation dressed as a slave.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bad things happen everywhere!

I mean, some of the most horrible sustained atrocities against people just like you were committed in exactly this place and countless others like it

But bad things do happen everywhere!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Clearly she needs to follow the example of that one guy who showed up to his work party at a plantation dressed as a slave.

That was my first thought. The looks on the white people's taces was gold, especially the white woman in a ball gown coming down the steps. Just 4 pictures that clearly show she walked down happy, took one look at him, then turned around pissed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

snergle posted:

if you duck your child support for 18yrs the state still wants the money payed to the person owed. which state your case is in will determine if they even make it a priority but ca will come at your rear end hard. my youngest siblings are all 21+ and their dad is still trying to duck child support. he lost his drivers lisence 3 yrs ago

California's zest for hunting deadbeat dads is currently loving us over. My wife's French Canadian deadbeat pothead biodad isn't on her birth certificate and is ducking our attempts to remedy this because he's afraid of back child support. Try as we might we can't convince Le Grand Lebowski that we just want to use him for citizenship.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Plantation work event: https://imgur.com/gallery/l9Qzn

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

bless you

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yeah great point. Happy to announce I'm getting married at Donner Lake this December.

Look it’s family tradition and if you don’t like it you can eat me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Oh, yeah, love Turkish cuisine.

*looks it up*

Oh, noooo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:kstare:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

this is always a delight

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Love this story. Pro-click zone, everyone

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I never get tired of it.

Also that dress is so loving ugly

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, yeah, love Turkish cuisine.

*looks it up*

Oh, noooo

Nah, this place just does American and German.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for inviting someone onto a group vacation even though I knew it would make someone else who was going uncomfortable?

quote:

I recently got back from a vacation with a group of my friends. We booked everything way in advance so when I found out my (ex)fiancé was cheating on me with a mutual ‘friend’ I either lost all of my money or had to sit there and watch them be all lovey dovey around each other.

I spoke to a few of the people going and asked them if I could invite my friend/ex before my ex-fiancé, Jace, on the trip as he had been supporting me through everything and it would make it easier on me to enjoy the trip. They all said it was fine so Jace came on the trip with us.

Now the thing is, my ex was always jealous and insecure about Jace. He had an irrational hate/jealousy for him so when he realised he was joining the trip he just flipped out. He tried to get everyone to force Jace off the trip but everyone just ignored him.

The entire time my ex was fuming. Admittedly Jace wasn’t innocent, he did goad my ex a few times and he was enjoying getting under his skin. In the middle of the trip my ex cornered me and was so upset that I had invited Jace to the trip and accused me of trying to hurt him. His girlfriend also brought it up to me and called me childish for intentionally making the trip uncomfortable for them.

AITA?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

coronatae posted:

I never get tired of it.

Also that dress is so loving ugly

the look on her face tells me there was a good 15-20 minutes where she was honestly expecting him to get tossed out of the event and then her own internal plans for getting him fired at work

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The state can only force you to pay child support but most settled divorces involve some negotiated provisions that both parties agree to. Think of it like a contract, but instead of enforcing the order in regular court by breach of contract you put your dad in front of a family court judge on contempt charges.

Not necessarily. Some states (Massachusetts and Illinois, for example) do give the court authority to include post-secondary educational expenses as part of child support.

AITA for taking away my wife's car keys because she took away my TV?

quote:

throwaway

I have always spilt my income 50-50 with my wife. She is religious (Baptist) but I am not. This has never been a problem for us, until this summer when I got a large raise at my job and I started buying things that she claimed were 'greedy' and 'consumerist.' I just told her I'm using my share of the income and I can buy what I want.

I thought that it was over but last weekend I finally got a Ps5 and bought a 65" 8K QLED TV, in total it was about 5 grand. I was really excited to watch the super bowl with my friends on it (I'm hosting a little party this year) but my wife was furious, she thought it was a terrible decision and she didn't care I used my own money.

When I came home from work on Monday (today's Thursday) my wife said she took away my TV, sure enough it was gone. I looked everywhere for it but we have a modest 3 bedroom house, so who knows where it is now.

I have been arguing with her for 4 days and she's not budging, so this morning I finally snapped. I took away her car keys and also removed her tires. I told her I'll do the grocery shopping and our kids will be fine since they ride the bus, but I am not giving her that car back until she gets me my TV.

She is obviously furious but the super bowl is in 3 days and I'll be damned if I'm letting her control what makes me happy. So, AITA?

EDIT: Someone commented 'what if there is an emergency, she doesn't have a car.' Your right, I'll put the tires back on so if something happens I can tell her where the keys are. It's also not a good look on our family to have that car up on blocks by our garage. But unless it's an emergency she's not getting that car back without returning my TV.

AITA for intentionally letting the home fall into disarray and refusing to cook for my wife until she helps out more with our son?

quote:

My wife is a neurosurgeon and I am a stay at home dad. We have a 2 year old son who I take care of. I say I because past giving birth my wife eat hasn’t been much of attentive mother and has left the parenting to me.

My wife was given 4 month maternity leave but only took 3 months as she said, she bounced back physically and wanted to get back to work as she saves lives. Since then it’s been all on me. My wife never changed a diaper unless I physically could not do it. If our son was crying in the middle of the night, she wakes me up as she has to be well rested for work or someone could die.

On weekends she sleeps through the morning and won’t come out of bed till the afternoon and still won’t come near our son. I’ve talked about it with her more then a few times and her reasoning is that, I’m good at being a dad and it comes naturally to me so I should be the one doing most of the work.

Along with the parenting, I do all of the work for the house. Cooking, cleaning, fixing, maintenance, my wife hasn’t washed a dish, scrubbed a toilet, or folded a shirt since I quit my job to be a stay at home dad. The last time I asked her to pitch in, she said that she doesn’t think it’s unfair for me to ask more of her when she comes home from work since what she does keeps the lights on and a roof over all of our heads. She also said she deserves some time to relax especially when she sees people nearly dying and dead nearly every single day and is asked to save the lives of her patients.

So I surmised that she feels what I do for her isn’t important. So if what I do isn’t important why do it? I stopped doing anything for her. If she wanted food she can get some herself, I was a software developer and saved most of my money and she’s a neurosurgeon, our household isn’t hurting for money, if she wants her laundry done, she can do it. If she Wants to come home to a clean house, she can do it. If our shower head falls off she can do it. Nothing I do is important anyways.

Agree about a week she cracked. She told me I was being selfish and petty. I told her I was showing her how important what I do is. She told me that I was being a massive rear end in a top hat and that I behaved like a child who was mad.

AITA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for inviting someone onto a group vacation even though I knew it would make someone else who was going uncomfortable?
Some people aren't just born nice, they're bullied and strongarmed into being nice, and you can really tell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ibntumart posted:

Not necessarily. Some states (Massachusetts and Illinois, for example) do give the court authority to include post-secondary educational expenses as part of child support.

AITA for intentionally letting the home fall into disarray and refusing to cook for my wife until she helps out more with our son?

Was ready to hate the first guy but he won me over, maybe he is lying as its the internet, but lol

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Truly doing the Lord's work.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for not equally splitting my deceased mother's fabric in quilts I made for my siblings?

quote:

I (m39) am the youngest of six children. I was a surprise kid late in my parents' life, and I was a young teen when my mom started to get antsy and want to get out of the house more.

She started taking hobby classes. I got dragged along to each and every one. Because of this, I have a wide array of very weird crafting knowledges. Crochet, knitting, basket weaving, quilting, cake decoration, oil painting. While I'm not a master of any of them, I fairly competent. After my mother died, I started using her old crafting supplies to make gifts for my siblings out of her things. Everyone got an afghan, scarf, egg basket, etc. It was my way of making sure mom was still there every year.

The quilts are where things get a little hinky. I made three quilt tops before I ran out of fabric. There wasn't enough to make them all, and I didn't realize it until I was too deep into the project. I ran out and grabbed some fabric. I did my best to get a really broad variety of scraps to keep it from being obvious. I did a few adjustments, split two of the existing quilt tops, and added on more using the new scraps. I wanted everyone to have at least some of mom's fabric in their quilt.

When I wrapped them, I didn't bother to put names on them. Everyone just grabbed a package and were delighted to have a nice quilt. It was the last of my mother-son crafting projects, and I was glad to be finished with them all.

I ended up mentioning to my sister over dinner last week that only one of the quilts was entirely mom's fabric, because I had run out of fabric. She immediately asked me which one, and I said that I wasn't sure who had gotten it (I didn't, at the time) and explained again that there just wasn't enough fabric to go around. She starts to get annoyed, wanting to know why I didn't make sure to give the one that was _entirely_ mom's fabric to her, since she was the oldest.

You can see where this is going.

This snowballed. My sister called my other siblings to solve the 'mystery,'' and now, siblings are all texting and posting pictures of their quilts, trying to figure out who got the 'real' one and whose were 'fakes.' (I now know, thanks to all the pictures, exactly which one is made entirely of her fabric, but I'm playing stupid. You can't have that much fabric laying in your lap for months without recognizing it.) I've gotten more than a few nasty messages about it from the peanut gallery, and all my siblings' friends seem to think that it's insanely rude that I would pull a 'trick' like this.

I realize now that I probably should have just broken down all three of the quilt tops to spread things around. But god, it was so miserable rushing for months to get them done, only to have to split two of them just to expand them back out again.

So: AITA for not giving my siblings an equal 'share' of mom's fabric in their Christmas quilts? At this point, I feel like I should have just made three quilts and explained the problem and let them fight about it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Fine, give them back I'll fix it!

(never fix it)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for not equally splitting my deceased mother's fabric in quilts I made for my siblings?
/remembers multiple neglectful and abusive households I grew up in; opens near-empty contact list of family; stares at bag of old dog collars and plaster paw prints

Yeah real loving rough that your adult brother made you a homemade gift guys.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

hawowanlawow posted:

the planation I toured had the slave quarters out back, I wonder if that one does weddings

That's where you "jump the broom" if you're black

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

ibntumart posted:

I think the wife is awful, but I think taking the keys is worse. Is he literally stranding her at home? That's really controlling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nebrilos posted:

I think the wife is awful, but I think taking the keys is worse. Is he literally stranding her at home? That's really controlling.
She could just give back the remote and get her keys back. It's completely unhinged behavior to hide the remote because of some weird religious conviction you need to force on others.