Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to believe too, but I don't, unless that was before the era of cell phones with video cameras.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I... at least almost believe it. For example I have a reliable story of someone getting fired for purposefully jet blasting a ramper because they were mad at them for something.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I could see something like that happening and no one being in position to video it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'd think one of the passengers would film out the window at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's probably already at least one person filming the landing through the window on every flight. When the plane starts spinning in circles on the taxi back, everyone's camera is going to come out, and half of those videos will go directly to twitter.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Hey now, they don't say when it happened. Maybe it was 1960.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NightGyr posted:

Some true aeronautical insanity, as seen on Instagram.

I want this to be true but in my heart I know it's fake.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

Hey now, they don't say when it happened. Maybe it was 1960.

It has the feel of the 50s-70s if it actually happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Surely someone would have whipped out their 16mm camera to film it, get it developed, and then, uh, mail it to the news?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this would have made headlines when the passengers landed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The pilot musn't have been able to reach his phone with all the fire extinguishers he was carrying.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1492104392056705054?s=21

quote:

A hunt is on for a convicted airport official who was supposed to report to federal prison Thursday morning to start his 10-year sentence for pocketing $6 million in bribes.

Prosecutors say he never showed, so they sought an arrest warrant.

Late Thursday, a federal judge approved an emergency arrest warrant for James Warner, who engaged in some unusual trickery to pull off one of the largest bribery schemes in U.S. history: He ate some of the evidence to hide his crime.

It was a restaurant napkin, on which he had written $5K — the proposed kickback he wanted from a businessman, prosecutors said.

Warner, a former Wayne County Airport Authority manager, was convicted in a 2019 jury trial of numerous crimes — bribery, money laundering and theft — for helping three businessmen secure $43.7 million worth of airport contracts in exchange for more than $6 million in kickbacks. The Commerce Township man was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2020, though he remained free for two years while pursuing appeals.

quote:

According to court records, one of Warner's crooked deals was brokered in a restaurant, where Warner had taken a businessman out to dinner to discuss the kickback arrangement. He wrote $5K on a napkin, folded it, slid it across the table, and after the businessman acknowledged the meaning, Warner "retrieved the napkin and ate it."

Warner reminded the businessman that this was how things were done, allegedly telling him: "You wouldn't be here if it weren't for me, your rear end would be out."

quote:

According to prosecutors, these are some of Warner's schemes:

On one occasion, Warner lied about the square footage and asphalt depth on an airport roadway project, creating and later approving a $938,000 bill from the subcontractor, who had only invoiced for $275,000. The two split the profits evenly.

On another occasion, Warner approved two invoices totaling $31,000 for the replacement of backflow preventers at the airport, though the work was never done. The contractor still got paid and kicked money back to Warner.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That's only supposed to work in cartoons!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How old is that stock photo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

`Nemesis posted:

How old is that stock photo?

Last DAL 747 flight was apparently Jan 3, 2018.

I didn’t know they had even lasted that long to be honest.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is it weird I know exactly where that picture was taken? Also lol that the guy was allowed to remain free for two years while he pursued appeals. White collar crime just isn't really crime is it?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Strong independent helicopter don't need no pilot.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FuturePastNow posted:

Strong independent helicopter don't need no pilot.

Jesus take the cyclic & collective

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ugh the aircraft is supposed to be invisible not the crew

Idiots

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

Ugh the aircraft is supposed to be invisible not the crew

Idiots

"Nah, gently caress it. That was another one of their robots."

*knock knock*

"Oh. Uh-oh."

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
I used to do Sikorsky drawing updates and can remember like 8 years ago getting a panel change come down the pipeline. Pilot select switch that was 1 or 2 now had a setting for 0.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

_Loser_ posted:

I used to do Sikorsky drawing updates and can remember like 8 years ago getting a panel change come down the pipeline. Pilot select switch that was 1 or 2 now had a setting for 0.

quote:

The retrofitted whirlybird was controlled by a Sikorsky-made autonomy system. As part of that system, the helicopter has a switch on board that allows the aviators to indicate whether two pilots, one pilot, or zero pilots will be operating the chopper. This was the first time that a Black Hawk was sent into the air with the no-pilots option, so that the computer system was handling all the controls.
While the Black Hawk was physically in Kentucky, as part of the mission, it acted as if it was dodging structures in Manhattan, thanks to that simulated sensor data, Cherepinsky said. “And the aircraft was avoiding essentially [what it thought was] buildings in real time.”

https://www.popsci.com/aviation/black-hawk-helicopter-first-autonomous-flight/

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
Glad to know my memory isn't shot lol. Something about a whole-rear end blackhawk being used as a drone is terrifying though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Last DAL 747 flight was apparently Jan 3, 2018.

I didn’t know they had even lasted that long to be honest.

They weren’t used on very many flights toward the end. I flew on one from Taipei to NRT in like 2016 because my flight on a 767 was cancelled due to engine trouble. The next day the regularly scheduled flight was a 747 which I guess is a clever way to cover 2 767s worth of passengers?

That 747 really looked tired on the outside.

Arson Daily posted:

Is it weird I know exactly where that picture was taken?

Not at all? Delta flew them from basically only what 2 gates at ATL and DTW?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hobbesmaster posted:

Not at all? Delta flew them from basically only what 2 gates at ATL and DTW?

Detroit has a bunch of gates that can accommodate the 747 because Northwest used them a lot when their terminal was built.

But I believe that the photo is A40. A 747 parked at A40 was always a cool sight when coming down from security and entering the gate area.

When I was there over Christmas they had a 737 in that gate. :geno:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The last time I was in DTW there was an A350 at that gate which was interesting at least even if it’s not as striking as a 747.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

_Loser_ posted:

Glad to know my memory isn't shot lol. Something about a whole-rear end blackhawk being used as a drone is terrifying though.

a whole-rear end blackhawk drone dodging around Manhattan skyscrapers at high speed

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The last time I was in DTW there was an A350 at that gate which was interesting at least even if it’s not as striking as a 747.

A350 is frequently parked there but they'll use it for other international stuff as well. 757 or A330 are the next most common then probably the 737.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

But they had an A350 next door.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

They weren’t used on very many flights toward the end. I flew on one from Taipei to NRT in like 2016 because my flight on a 767 was cancelled due to engine trouble. The next day the regularly scheduled flight was a 747 which I guess is a clever way to cover 2 767s worth of passengers?

That 747 really looked tired on the outside.

How does that work? Did they have a strategic 747 reserve with senior pilots who only have to fly to maintain currency or when they’re unlucky?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

How does that work? Did they have a strategic 747 reserve with senior pilots who only have to fly to maintain currency or when they’re unlucky?

After you fly DTW/ATL-NRT you can’t turn around the aircraft in the same day due to the way time zones work.

As I recall the way NW/Delta had NRT setup was:
1. Intra Asian flights arrive
2. Transpacific flights depart
3. Transpacific flights arrive
4. Intra Asian flights depart

So a 747 that arrived at step 3 could dead head to where a problem was and still be in position to run a transpacific flight the next day.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Waaaaaaaay back in like 2006 I had an interview with Republic wherein I would have to fly from Denver to Chicago to Indianapolis the day before. Somehow, and I'm not sure why but most of United's flights from Denver to Chicago canceled that day. Their solution was to gather up all of the passengers from the various canceled flights and to put them on a 747. Genius idea actually because it solved their problem in one fell swoop. I was thrilled because this was the first time I had ever been on a wide body airplane; for all of an hour and a half lol. The only thing that really sucked was that I was crammed into a middle seat between two fat gentlemen. I'm over 6 feet tall and 200 plus pounds so it was an uncomfortable hour and a half. Long story short that flight was the absolute highlight of interviewing with a regional airline in the mid oughts.

Edit: I remember seeing a United 747 in Hong Kong next to a Dreamliner and the difference was stark. The 74 looked so tired next to the gleaming 787. You could almost see the baton being passed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don’t know what it was about them but the United and Delta 744s just looked so tired circa the mid 2010s despite having coats of paint from mergers that were like 5 years old. The upper deck exterior especially seemed to just get filthy fast.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 12, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

coats of pain from mergers that were like 5 years old.

Got that poo poo right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Siri knows too much sometimes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

_Loser_ posted:

It's when they add a -1 setting that you really start getting worried.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Waaaaaaaay back in like 2006 I had an interview with Republic wherein I would have to fly from Denver to Chicago to Indianapolis the day before. Somehow, and I'm not sure why but most of United's flights from Denver to Chicago canceled that day.

If it was 2007 there was a ripper of a storm that shut down everything east of the Mississippi River over the summer for a day. I got stuck in Chicago overnight because of it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's when they add a -1 setting that you really start getting worried.

Heh helicopters have been trying to kill their pilots since they crawled out of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

FrozenVent posted:

Heh helicopters have been trying to kill their pilots since they crawled out of the ocean.

the helis or the pilots? :ohdear: