Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That man is riding a K’nex piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blackhawk posted:

I can't find a good picture of it right now but they have exactly that type of infrastructure in Rotorua, NZ:

Look at that huge gaping scar on the Earth we call "a parking lot". Just a massive swathe of Nothing, a sucking void in the midst of scenery.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao why the gently caress couldn't they have had a bicycle roundabout in that pedestrian area on the level under the road surface?

I can't find a good picture of it right now but they have exactly that type of infrastructure in Rotorua, NZ:

There's a roundabout at the top which is the start of a motorway, and there's a separate bicycle and pedestrian roundabout in the middle beneath the road surface. It owns because it's near a huge mountain bike park and a holiday park (caravan park), so we routinely camp at the holiday park and ride our bikes on the cycleway a km or so to the mountain bike trails without ever having to go on the road.

As far as shared bicycle and pedestrian paths go, I honestly think that bicycles and pedestrians should be separated in the majority of cases the same way that cars and bicycles should be separated. There's too much of a speed difference there, and to be fair to cyclists I see a lot of pedestrians being selfish too, like walking in a big clump totally blocking the path and refusing to move for passing bicycles.

Yes, but consider: this might require not designing everything for cars first with all other modes as an afterthought, and might also train people on bikes to expect anything other than deathtrap infrastructure from the government.

Bikes, peds, and scooters (like Vespas) should all be separated from each other. The problem is that government agencies are completely unwilling to look at any solution that doesn't continue to allocate 90% of road space to private autos.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at that huge gaping scar on the Earth we call "a parking lot". Just a massive swathe of Nothing, a sucking void in the midst of scenery.

they truly paved paradise

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Those jerks stole our beautiful Commons and paved over them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Suplex Liberace posted:

Those jerks stole our beautiful Commons and paved over them

It's a tragedy

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gotta have a carpark for your pay-to-enter tourist attraction which is basically a fence around the section of forest with geothermal hot springs, boiling mud, mineral lakes etc. lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/bluntlevis/status/1491510426386976774

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao, next tweet in the thread https://twitter.com/bluntlevis/status/1491510595081879559

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

whole thread is good

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wish I was so cool that I could be introduced as the person who invented a groundbreaking method of counting bats and then went on to use martens to destroy cars.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
based weasels

could they be bred into being even bigger car destroyers? i'm talking specialized weasels for cars, trucks, vans, etc . faster, more destructive weasels.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This is even better than the capybaras invading rich Argentinian gated communities.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

nature is healing

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

Please, it is a concrete floodplain caused by natural traffic meanders.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Filthy Hans posted:

https://www.statista.com/chart/17194/pedestrian-fatalities-in-the-us-by-year/

also over the last 40 years the average distance driven by Americans has more than doubled, to an average of over 14k miles per year

lol notice it also started going up once everyone and their grandma started using cellphones while driving. pretty much anytime i see someone get wiped out by a car, the driver is on their phone

but yes certainly cultural changes gotta go fast, bigger cars, a/c pillar changes, etc have also made things worse. though it's not like early 2000s didn't have honking expedition suv's either.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, that dip was also occurring around a big spike in oil prices and rise in transit use.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Also, that dip was also occurring around a big spike in oil prices and rise in transit use.

Oil prices actually collapsed after 2008 due to the financial crises, but there was probably less road traffic due to a good chunk of the population being out of work.

I think Xaris might be on to something though, no only is that graph line up with the rise of smart phones, but it also lines up with the rise of "infotainment" features in cars. You know, those big distracting touch-screens with a billion shiny features designed to keep drivers eyes on those instead of, well, the road.

Also iirc Pedestrian deaths further spiked after the Covid shutdown. The reason for this is less traffic mean cars could drive faster on the roads. Couple that with cars being faster, accelerating quicker, and more distracting infotainment/smartphones everyone is looking at = death to anyone to cross a street.

*edit*

here we are:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/2020-fatality-data-show-increased-traffic-fatalities-during-pandemic

quote:

While Americans drove less in 2020 due to the pandemic, NHTSA’s early estimates show that an estimated 38,680 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes—the largest projected number of fatalities since 2007. This represents an increase of about 7.2 percent as compared to the 36,096 fatalities reported in 2019.

quote:

NHTSA’s research suggests that throughout the national public health emergency and associated lockdowns, driving patterns and behaviors changed significantly, and that drivers who remained on the roads engaged in more risky behavior, including speeding, failing to wear seat belts, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Traffic data indicates that average speeds increased throughout the year, and examples of extreme speeds became more common, while the evidence also shows that fewer people involved in crashes used their seat belts.

Solaris 2.0 has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Feb 10, 2022

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was somewhat disappointed that elon musk stopped at shooting one car into outer space

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Been thinking about a poem recently that was made for this thread.

I Know a Man
By Robert Creeley

As I sd to my
friend, because I am
always talking,—John, I

sd, which was not his
name, the darkness sur-
rounds us, what

can we do against
it, or else, shall we &
why not, buy a goddamn big car,

drive, he sd, for
christ’s sake, look
out where yr going.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolphin posted:

i was somewhat disappointed that elon musk stopped at shooting one car into outer space

As far as disposal of anything is concerned, shooting it into space is the least efficient, least environmentally friendly and most wasteful way to dispose of anything. So of course a Capitalist like Elon would choose that method.

If you want a fun even if not must efficient method of disposal, exposives, crushing machines, arc furnaces, this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_SH-RTvvo

Are much better and can be scaled as appropriate to dispose of the ~1.5billion cars that exist on earth.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Oil prices actually collapsed after 2008 due to the financial crises, but there was probably less road traffic due to a good chunk of the population being out of work.

I think Xaris might be on to something though, no only is that graph line up with the rise of smart phones, but it also lines up with the rise of "infotainment" features in cars. You know, those big distracting touch-screens with a billion shiny features designed to keep drivers eyes on those instead of, well, the road.

Also iirc Pedestrian deaths further spiked after the Covid shutdown. The reason for this is less traffic mean cars could drive faster on the roads. Couple that with cars being faster, accelerating quicker, and more distracting infotainment/smartphones everyone is looking at = death to anyone to cross a street.

*edit*

here we are:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/2020-fatality-data-show-increased-traffic-fatalities-during-pandemic

I think there was also a big psychological aspect, men especially went out of their gourds when the lockdowns started. It was clear as day.

They were pissed and they didn’t mind if someone died (or not so secretly wanted it).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't remember where I saw it (Streetsblog or similar), but while driving did go down at the start of the pandemic, driving actually increased for the heavy vehicle class that most trucks belong to.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

daily reminder not to go anywhere near these psychos (by psychos, I mean average American motorists)

https://twitter.com/schadenfraade/status/1491809688123584518?s=20&t=1LZQHw3tmUy4XO5KGoM9Kw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/FLhk77x.mp4

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Target fixation is a hell of a drug

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Been thinking about a poem recently that was made for this thread.

I Know a Man
By Robert Creeley

As I sd to my
friend, because I am
always talking,—John, I

sd, which was not his
name, the darkness sur-
rounds us, what

can we do against
it, or else, shall we &
why not, buy a goddamn big car,

drive, he sd, for
christ’s sake, look
out where yr going.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > i hate cars: for christ's sake, look out where yr going.

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!

was he driving to the dentist?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
his teeth musta been so drat dry

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That guy is just amazing at looking like a complete loving moron. Too bad he has to pay the deductible or else he could have afforded some Invisaligns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
in the last week I've had two people commit egregious traffic violations around/near me and when I gave them the finger they immediately lost their poo poo and wanted to fight me. fuckin car brains man.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

in the last week I've had two people commit egregious traffic violations around/near me and when I gave them the finger they immediately lost their poo poo and wanted to fight me. fuckin car brains man.

the driver has the right to end your life. you do not have the right to comment on it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

In the beforetimes, people were less aggro on average. Nowadays there's always a few people every trip cutting in line, running reds, passing everyone on the shoulder, weaving around, and generally just being nasty. They never ever seem to pay for it.

And like you said, commenting on it in any way makes them want to fight you. If only we could oblige.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

no i don't want to, im too bummed rn maybe later

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Solaris 2.0 posted:

there's that too. infotainments and touch screen cars are stupid as gently caress but i dont see people fiddling with infotainment touchscreens as their car accidentally kinetically manifests a temporal superposition of space over a gaggle of school children compared to just loving around with a smartphone.

i would also posit that it's culturally infectious like a brain virus. like everyone is gotta go fast n kill kiddies, you don't want those losers to beat you to the grocery store by 3 seconds do you?? wow can't believe that rear end in a top hat infront of me won't speed up. GOgogo

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
growing up, a friend's dad gave us a ride to the movies. that fucker would be talking on his cellphone, drinking coffee, smoking, reading the newspaper, with his laptop open on the dashboard. all at once. while driving. like a loving cartoon

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://bikeportland.org/2012/04/25/20-years-later-john-foresters-effective-cycling-to-be-re-published-70941

quote:

“… John Forester emphasizes that cyclists should consider themselves drivers of vehicles in traffic. That means obeying the rules of the road, because when all drivers obey the same rules, they don’t have collisions. Forester explains why cyclists should not be afraid to cycle in traffic, and he urges them to resist being shunted off into government-sponsored bike paths as if they were incompetent children. Cyclists fare best, he says, when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles.”

tired of cars running you over? just pretend you're a car! driving cannot fail, only be failed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Even if Forrester's philosophy was not car-brained as gently caress and we did have some kind of dystopia where bikes have taken over all car infrastructure, but the infrastructure is still designed for cars? That would loving suck.

quote:

. . . fought bike lanes, European-style cycletracks, and just about any form of traffic calming”, and “saw nothing wrong with sprawl and an auto-dependent lifestyle.
That poo poo loving sucks!

No one wants to bike 2miles to the grocery store, or even the nearest subway station. Most poo poo should be half-mile at most, from where they live. Those are the kinds of cities I want to live in. Not ones with no sidewalks and distances so far apart that you have to spend 30min biking everywhere.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I love gambling my life on whether "all drivers obey the same rules" on a road in America hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Even if Forrester's philosophy was not car-brained as gently caress and we did have some kind of dystopia where bikes have taken over all car infrastructure, but the infrastructure is still designed for cars? That would loving suck.

That poo poo loving sucks!

No one wants to bike 2miles to the grocery store, or even the nearest subway station. Most poo poo should be half-mile at most, from where they live. Those are the kinds of cities I want to live in. Not ones with no sidewalks and distances so far apart that you have to spend 30min biking everywhere.

Apparently Forrester could bike 30 miles an hour and believed that all cyclists should simply do that