Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Khan puts Dick on the chopping block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Logically speaking, batman should be the natural predator of mothman, so in the long term it seems inevitable that batmen would overtake mothmen, but I would rather have mothmen than batmen in general.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also Batman does actually help people out. Which is something that separates him from real world billionaires.

That and he built his own car that doesn't explode.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

How you managed to forget the dildo brothers, two oligarchs hellbent on causing pain and emotional turmoil on a historically working class London community, is beyond me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Lady Dick?

Wasn’t sure if that joke was probe-worthy :v:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Question IRL posted:

Motherfucker.

The batmobile has exploded in basically every batman movie

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Also Batman does actually help people out. Which is something that separates him from real world billionaires.

Doesn't he mostly just beat up the mentally unwell?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

He mostly beats up goons that are just trying to make ends meet. Probably has a little plugin on his batscanner that highlights the ones that don't have health insurance so he can really go hog wild

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Convex posted:

He mostly beats up goons

so he's the good guy, then

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Convex posted:

He mostly beats up goons that are just trying to make ends meet. Probably has a little plugin on his batscanner that highlights the ones that don't have health insurance so he can really go hog wild

And instead of investing some of his high tech company knowledge and money into making security better at Arkham Asylum, he allows the shoddy security there to maintain the constant cycle of criminal threat over the city to further increase his companies profits.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

How you managed to forget the dildo brothers, two oligarchs hellbent on causing pain and emotional turmoil on a historically working class London community, is beyond me.

Gold and Sullivan are rich fuckers but i don't think they're worth a billion even combined, and even if they were the days of West Ham being a working class club - of any Premiership team for that matter - ended decades ago. On Tuesday night two blokes behind me, both of course in Stone Island, were comparing the facilities at the various golf clubs they were members of.

Sullivan's a landlord but it's mostly commercial, and both made their money from good solid honest grot - I'm willing to bet there's a dozen people right now within a mile (horizontally, and a couple of hundred metres up vertically) who have caused more damage to the working class than those lot.

(Not that I don't want the fuckers out of the club, they're leeches who are just spending the exact bare minimum they can get away with until the first opportunity to buy out the LS and sell the whole lot on, but I definitely ain't going to fool myself that whoever buys them out is going to be some paragon of virtue, I just hope they won't be quite so nakedly loving the club over)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I remember playing Arkham City and thinking 'you're beating these generic henchmen unconscious, in their vests, in the snow, in the middle of a humanitarian crisis run by supervillains'.

Batman kills hundreds of guys.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

they are REALLY mentally unwell though like one of them is made of clay

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Much like capitalism, if batman does not personally shoot someone to death, any death by externalities as a result of his actions cannot be laid at his feet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1491861977056043014

:gary:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Double kill!!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
She's going to choose

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

sinky posted:

She's going to choose

To be fair to Judge Death, he's an equal opportunity mass-murderer.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

- no intention of leaving

- made aware of whatever scandal is coming down next in the pipeline

- leaves immediately

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Pretty telling that Khan asked her for a plan to fix the MET and she couldn't be hosed so quit.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/mr_considerate/status/1491878343599439874?s=21

Yikes, pretty sure that most of the Labour right are like this but some are nastier than others and Coyle is one of the worst

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Coyle of poo poo.

I don't think I've heard anything good about the man.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/mr_considerate/status/1491878343599439874?s=21

Yikes, pretty sure that most of the Labour right are like this but some are nastier than others and Coyle is one of the worst

PARTY OF THE WORKING CLASS!

(Not even sure if it's true, and I don't know what would be more embarrassing - that he was lying about it to impress some journos, or it's true and he thinks that impresses people. There *is* an absolutely fantastic greasy spoon in the same shopping arcade as his constituency office, but as he's apparently a complete stranger to his CLP I bet I know which he uses more)

e: There's one two-starred restaurant at the Shard, and that's it. Can't be bothered going through them all but just by eyeball even Diane Abbott has more.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 10, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1491889572107669508

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Because I just can't stop myself, here's the actual league table of Michelin-starred MPs:

Nickie Aiken, Two Cities - 33 (including 3 3* and 2 3*)
Greg Hands, Chelsea and Fulham - 4 (1 3*, 1 2*)
Kier Starmer, Holborn and St. Pancras - 4 (2 2*)
Felicity Buchan, Kensington - 2 (1 3*)
Apsana Begum, Poplar and Limehouse - 2 (1 2*)
Diane Abbott, South Tottenham - 2
Rushanara Ali, Bethnal Green and Bow - 2
Neil Coyle and a bunch of other nobodies - 1.

Theresa May has more Michelin-starred restaurants in her constituency than Coyle (thanks to Bray), as does Deirdre Brock, because apparently there are three 1-starred restaurants in Leith.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I've never eaten a Michelin-star. I assume it isn't worth it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If a place sells michelin tires it should count as a michelin star.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

Much too pointy.

For srs, I've eaten at a bunch of one- and two-stars for special occasions over the years, some are not worth it, some very much are. My favourite restaurant in my city is a one-star and I would go there more often if I could

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
:lol: I think he’s beaten by Tim Farron between l’enclume taking over Cartmel and the other hotels

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Theresa May has more Michelin-starred restaurants in her constituency than Coyle (thanks to Bray), as does Deirdre Brock, because apparently there are three 1-starred restaurants in Leith.
Leith has gentrified unimaginably. It's really weird to catch the bus that goes all the way from the station and drops you off outside the banana flats, when you've just read Trainspotting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Leith has gentrified unimaginably. It's really weird to catch the bus that goes all the way from the station and drops you off outside the banana flats, when you've just read Trainspotting.

Yeah I was going to be snarkier about it but I realised that there's 2-star restaurants in loving Bethnal Green and so really don;t have a leg to stand on there.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jiggerypokery posted:

It depends. I have eaten at 3 now I think, a 3-star in Copenhagen, Geranium - expensive but absolutely mindblowing. It was about £250 per person but it was 20 (very small) courses and we were there for about 5 hours.

I ate at the Fat Duck (one of Heston's) and it was about the same price, but definitely not as good. Some of the food was excellent but some other stuff was definitely more style-over-substance. I would probably not recommend this one.

Then Pied A Terre in London, twice now, we did some tasting menu thing for something like £80 for I forget how many courses, 7 or so maybe? You get a couple of more substantial main-type dishes with also things like an amuse-bouche at the start and a bread course and stuff. Very very good food.

The service and atmosphere at these places is also excellent and if you're booking in advance they're typically *very* good about taking into account your food preferences, allergies etc. (important for me because I'm vegetarian).

Basically I think some Michelin Star places are overpriced, and some are actually very reasonable for what you get and the work that goes into the food. It's worth noting that some places that do tasting menus (often like 10 courses) in the evenings for £70-150 often also do a lunch where it's 2 or 3 courses for like £50 and the food is still just as good.

As a (very) special treat, it is good. The stuff at Geranium was the best food I've ever eaten by a mile. I allow myself to not feel bad about spending so much money on a meal because I don't smoke and I don't drink often so I figure gently caress it, a bit of indulgence once in a while is fine, when I have the money. I've only done it like 4 times though, nevertheless.

Despite the comparatively high prices, I can believe that (at least some of) these michelin star places might not make that much money. The ingredients they use are really high quality and it takes an army of cooks to make it. At Geranium the kitchen is totally open to the seating area so you can see them making the food and they had about 20 people buzzing around making the different dishes, for only about 30 customers. Of course some of the customers they get are the sort to spend a couple of grand on a bottle of wine to go with their meal so I guess they make some money there. That said, I checked out the prices of some of the wine we had at Geranium and they were charging only like 10% over retail or something. Heston's place was taking the piss with the wine prices, comparatively.

For all this though I preferred Vanilla Black (no stars, vegetarian restaurant) in London to Pied A Terre - not everywhere with excellent, michelin-quality food actually gets a star. Unfortunately they've closed down permanently since covid.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 11, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

If a place sells michelin tires it should count as a michelin star.

The Michelin guide was developed by the tyre company as a way of encouraging people to drive around France visiting restaurants.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If it's a restaurant with a chef you recognise from the telly, it's probably overpriced and shite

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This is a very good thread

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1491891791490125825?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I went to a fancy restaurant once and honestly the being waited on thing is really offputting.

Like I get you need someone to bring the food from the kitchen and you might as well bring it to the table, but the whole thing where you have people popping up to call you sir a lot and pour water and that is really loving weird, don't like it one bit.

More restaurants should have a big plate rack you can put your plates in when you're done IMO.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jiggerypokery posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it's a restaurant with a chef you recognise from the telly, it's probably overpriced and shite

We took my mum out for her birthday to some 1 star in Derry/Londonderry.
Cost £47 for three courses, and in total there was about 10-12 mouthfuls across all of it.
Went to a chippy afterwards to get proper fed.
And the chef was on Masterchef UK as the celeb guest chef.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Oh I just remembered I also ate at Simon Rimmer's vegetarian restaurant in Manchester. No Michelin stars but really good and only £14 for a main. So not every TV chef is a wanker, at least in terms of overcharging for food.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In the 1990s*, one of my brothers won a weekend in a hotel London and £100 to spend at Gary Rhodes "Peoples' Palace" restaurant at the South Bank. He invited me to join him and his wife at the restaurant as I was living in London. The portions were pretty small and while the food was ok, we wouldn't have spent that much money if it was out of our own pockets.

*most probably - might have been before or after.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Listening to that Trojan horse podcast. Only into episode 4 but I'm guessing lol the British state just decided to use a batshit defense strategy from a woman who was bang to rights guilty to justify a whole raft of anti Muslim laws. Its all bullshit and everyone in a position of power just went along with it and then quite happily pretended to care about antisemitism and saw no hypocrisy.

We are so hosed.