Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yeah, those definitely aren't built with customization in mind, but there are a lot of more customizable mechanical options that are either fully split so you can adjust the placement and angle to your liking as well, or semi split like that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Interesting, so is there any place I can buy a somewhat similar ergonomic board with custom caps?

I would also consider getting a normal keyboard and a really good wrist rest separately.

I feel like I would need to actually type on one to know I want it which complicates things further...

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 5, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Interesting, so is there any place I can buy a somewhat similar ergonomic board with custom caps?

I would also consider getting a normal keyboard and a really good wrist rest separately.

I feel like I would need to actually type on one to know I want it which complicates things further...

The keyboard you linked looks like a standard layout, no weird curves or anything, just a simple split down the middle. Thankfully that makes your search a lot easier, there are lots of simple split boards that you can choose from, some are basically a normal keyboard cut in half, others are differ more from standard layouts and move keys around or change the shape of the layout.

https://kinesis-ergo.com/
https://ergodox-ez.com/
https://keeb.io/
https://dygma.com/products/dygma-raise

They'll almost all be pretty expensive, but it sounds like you're doing this for your health - as someone who moved to a split keyboard for the same reasons, almost any price is worth it. It's more a matter of deciding which flavor you want to go for.

Any mechanical keyboard can have custom caps. Most can have the switches changed out too, though some take more work than others to do that.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It is curved, if you scroll to the second photo on Amazon you'll see what I mean.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looks like a pretty flat angle though, that would be covered by "tenting" which most split keyboards will allow in some way, e.g:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I finally finished my latest board! I decided to try my hand at designing custom PCBs, and I wanted to push my circuit python firmware limits a bit, so I designed a Planck with some extra switches and knobs on it.

The boards turned out really nicely, but I missed two connections. Not too bad, just a couple extra wires that are connected on the back. Still MUCH faster than hand-wiring, and the KiCad file is already updated to rev 1.1.

The case is 3d printed, as well as the space bar for now. The keycaps are MA WoB laser etched PBT keycaps and the switches are JWK JWick blacks, which I'm quite happy with overall. Not sure if I like them more than Tecsee Purple Pandas, but I only jus started using them so I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

I still have a bit of work to do on the layout/layers, but I'm excited to try out an ortho. I think I may like it, but I plan on using it on evenings and weekends for a couple weeks before I try to use it at work. If I can use it for work and not hate it, I'll consider it all a raging success. Now that I know how to design PCBs, if I don't like it I'll just make a different one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Natron posted:

I finally finished my latest board! I decided to try my hand at designing custom PCBs, and I wanted to push my circuit python firmware limits a bit, so I designed a Planck with some extra switches and knobs on it.

The boards turned out really nicely, but I missed two connections. Not too bad, just a couple extra wires that are connected on the back. Still MUCH faster than hand-wiring, and the KiCad file is already updated to rev 1.1.

The case is 3d printed, as well as the space bar for now. The keycaps are MA WoB laser etched PBT keycaps and the switches are JWK JWick blacks, which I'm quite happy with overall. Not sure if I like them more than Tecsee Purple Pandas, but I only jus started using them so I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

I still have a bit of work to do on the layout/layers, but I'm excited to try out an ortho. I think I may like it, but I plan on using it on evenings and weekends for a couple weeks before I try to use it at work. If I can use it for work and not hate it, I'll consider it all a raging success. Now that I know how to design PCBs, if I don't like it I'll just make a different one.

That looks great! I hadn't seen those keycaps before and now I kind of want some.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

pseudanonymous posted:

I bought a Ducky One 2 skyline and I was really happy with it, but then I spilled something on it, so I read some directions online, used polydent to clean the keycaps and ultimately ended up just washing it with slightly soapy water, let it fully dry.

But when I put it back together it feels "mushy" when I remember feeling like it was crisp. Should I get some keyboard lube and try lubing up the switches maybe?

Most every soap out there is a natural de-greaser. If you washed the switches, it could of easily gotten rid of any grease on them.

I'd also be unsure about how well it dried. Water loves to stay in so many nooks and crannies, and it doesn't take much to create some corrosion.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Any idea where I could get extra Logitech Bolt receivers? They're sold out on Logitech.com and my keyboard came with none.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kivi posted:

Any idea where I could get extra Logitech Bolt receivers? They're sold out on Logitech.com and my keyboard came with none.

Looks like most big retailers have them listed. Not sure if they're in stock everywhere:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-logi-bolt-usb-receiver-black/6490955.p?skuId=6490955&ref=NS&loc=101
https://www.staples.com/logitech-logi-bolt-956-000007-usb-receiver/product_IM19JP704?ci_sku=IM19JP704&KPID=IM19JP704
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/cables-and-adapters/adapters/78101450
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1671216-REG/logitech_956_000007_bolt_receiver_for_mx.html?ap=y&smp=y

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Natron posted:

From pcb design and style to final product this amazing overall. Nicely done! Always impressed when people can route it so all those diodes line up somewhere pretty.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Thanks, but I'm in the EU. Ordered from my local shop, and their estimate is just "late".

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Tell me more about the "HCF" key :3:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

High-Cructose Forn

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Tell me more about the "HCF" key :3:

"Highest Common Factor"
The sublegends are computer operator functions. Oblotzsky yoinked them from GMK ASCII for use on SA Oblivion.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

So I almost found the perfect keycap set to match my desk mat, but it's in OEM profile and the actual keys people are receiving are way less vibrant than what's shown in their photos.

I love the colors and the side-lit (why isn't it called front-lit?) legends. Anyone know of something else with this vibe in Cherry or DSA?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This is just a little reminder that if you have a seldom used keyboard (like a cheap logitech mk270 on a HTPC) with alkaline batteries make sure to check them and change them out if they're getting more than a couple of years old. Same warning goes for anything with alkalines at this point, really. I've got the same issue with some cheap mice and flashlights. I'm currently cleaning this mk270 because it was so bad I had to take the stupid thing apart just to get to the second battery and the bad terminal since it wouldn't slide out. Not sure how well it's going to work with the nickel coating on the battery spring being mostly gone but I'm going to give it a shot. I also have a cheapo mouse that had the same issue and the terminal is super rusty so I'm attempting to dip it in my coffee can of evaporust to clean it up.

The carnage.

So far I've used some Corrosion Gone with some q-tips to clean and it works great on the white leakage and helps with the rust but doesn't seem to clear it all off. I'll do a final pass with some deoxit contact cleaner before trying it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rexxed posted:

This is just a little reminder that if you have a seldom used keyboard (like a cheap logitech mk270 on a HTPC) with alkaline batteries make sure to check them and change them out if they're getting more than a couple of years old. Same warning goes for anything with alkalines at this point, really. I've got the same issue with some cheap mice and flashlights. I'm currently cleaning this mk270 because it was so bad I had to take the stupid thing apart just to get to the second battery and the bad terminal since it wouldn't slide out. Not sure how well it's going to work with the nickel coating on the battery spring being mostly gone but I'm going to give it a shot. I also have a cheapo mouse that had the same issue and the terminal is super rusty so I'm attempting to dip it in my coffee can of evaporust to clean it up.

The carnage.

So far I've used some Corrosion Gone with some q-tips to clean and it works great on the white leakage and helps with the rust but doesn't seem to clear it all off. I'll do a final pass with some deoxit contact cleaner before trying it out.

Might have to get some fine grit sandpaper to clear it off. I'm perpetually encountering equipment at work that have ruptured batteries in it and cleaning it is a pain in my rear end till I get a new job in a couple of weeks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I had batteries leak in the goddamn thermostat a little while ago. I couldn't get it to make good contact after that and ended up wedging a slim piece of copper in there as a workaround (fix until I have to tackle it again really). Until I got that working it was going like this for a few hours. gently caress alkalines.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
Hey gang, quick question:

I have some nice PBT keycaps on a das keyboard () for a year or two. Lately I’ve been giving them a quick wipe down once a week just to keep them grease-free - I use water-based wipes that contain a small amount of iso alcohol, is this generally fine for weekly wipe-downs without removing the kaycap’s texture? The alternative is just water and a cloth but that may be worse for cleaning the keycaps.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

hey folks! parachuting in new to this sub+thread looking for some advice, so please let me know if i'm violating any rules (didn't see anything against it in the stickies or op).

is there a keyboard enthusiast marketplace of some kind or is ebay my best bet for selling a keyboard? i have been using a kinesis advantage for well over a decade and it's finally starting to fall apart in weird ways so i thought i'd try something new and got an ergodox-ez. It just killed my elbows after only ~5min of use so i'm just going to order another advantage and sell this one off.

thanks a ton!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Reddit's mech market.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You might also want to look through Facebook and see if there's a Mech Market or Mech Enthusiasts group for your local area

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Terrific, thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

adeadcrab posted:

Lately I’ve been giving them a quick wipe down once a week just to keep them grease-free - I use water-based wipes that contain a small amount of iso alcohol, is this generally fine for weekly wipe-downs without removing the kaycap’s texture? The alternative is just water and a cloth but that may be worse for cleaning the keycaps.

Alcohol is fine for plastics, petroleum/oil based stuff could risk damaging them (seen a lot of office keyboards with slick keycaps from hand lotion)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

maybe common question, but one of the keys on my mechanical keyboard is starting to have issues (not picking up a press at all, picking it up late and the letter appears after the next one I just typed, or picking up the press twice). any common causes of this and possible solutions? everything works perfectly other than this one key so I'd like to just fix it myself if possible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If it's a modular board, then pop out the switch and replace it for 50 cents. If not, ehhh, you might be able to clean something but most likely you'd still need to disassemble the switch entirely which may or may not require the ability to de-solder it from the board.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

knuthgrush posted:

Terrific, thanks!

Geekhack also has a classifieds section but I can't vouch for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gwaihir posted:

If it's a modular board, then pop out the switch and replace it for 50 cents. If not, ehhh, you might be able to clean something but most likely you'd still need to disassemble the switch entirely which may or may not require the ability to de-solder it from the board.

step 1 is pop the switch off regardless and test it, any cheap multimeter will do for testing purposes

i'd definitely do that before i tried to take apart and clean anything

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Changed my GMMK Pro from gateron yellows to boba u4t. These new switches are great.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Does anyone know of a full-size split staggered keyboard? I just ordered a set of BFO-9000 pcbs, and I’m wondering if I have any alternatives if I don’t like ortho. I prefer something under $100, I don’t mind a kit, and I have key switches already.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LightRailTycoon posted:

Does anyone know of a full-size split staggered keyboard? I just ordered a set of BFO-9000 pcbs, and I’m wondering if I have any alternatives if I don’t like ortho. I prefer something under $100, I don’t mind a kit, and I have key switches already.
If you just ordered BFO-9000 PCBs did you look at Keebio's other offerings?

https://keeb.io/collections/quefrency-split-staggered-65-keyboard
https://keeb.io/collections/sinc
https://keeb.io/collections/kbo-5000-split-staggered-80-keyboard

Unless you actually mean 100% with a numpad one of those three should probably be in the ballpark. Someone was just showing off a Sinc a page or two ago.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Even if they did mean 100% w/ numpad, those are still good recommendations.

Lots of people seem to set up their Sinc to use the left side macro keys as a substitute numpad (see below). This is obviously still missing the operator keys, so I assume these are mostly gamers who want to have an option to ditch the right half for extra mouse space while still having all their numbers on the left. But I imagine that even for data entry, doing the vertical numbers with your left hand and operators with your right has to be faster than loving with a regular number row. Imo it's a terrific compromise option to keep both your f row and a quasi-numpad on a split board that's still somewhat compact.

I would definitely much rather have this setup than the usual huge right side numpad nonsense that you find in staggered full size (I know the BFO-9000 lets you put the numpad on the left, but that's hard to find elsewhere).

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2022

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

wolrah posted:

If you just ordered BFO-9000 PCBs did you look at Keebio's other offerings?

https://keeb.io/collections/quefrency-split-staggered-65-keyboard
https://keeb.io/collections/sinc
https://keeb.io/collections/kbo-5000-split-staggered-80-keyboard

Unless you actually mean 100% with a numpad one of those three should probably be in the ballpark. Someone was just showing off a Sinc a page or two ago.

This is for programming and data entry, I strongly prefer a full-size, but they’re too narrow for my shoulders.

I kinda wish someone designed a mech version of the Microsoft natural pro, I loved that thing.

If I can’t adjust to ortho, I’ll try the KBO-5000 with a separate numpad.
Thank you!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

LightRailTycoon posted:

This is for programming and data entry, I strongly prefer a full-size, but they’re too narrow for my shoulders.

I kinda wish someone designed a mech version of the Microsoft natural pro, I loved that thing.

If I can’t adjust to ortho, I’ll try the KBO-5000 with a separate numpad.
Thank you!

I looked around, and no one makes something in that Microsoft Natural layout. I did find a thread over on GeekHack that says you can mod the the thing to a mechanical. Couldn't find the thread, and I can only guess just how much of an undertaking that would be.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Koskun posted:

I looked around, and no one makes something in that Microsoft Natural layout. I did find a thread over on GeekHack that says you can mod the the thing to a mechanical. Couldn't find the thread, and I can only guess just how much of an undertaking that would be.

For some reason, I thought they were ungodly expensive, but they aren’t bad. Might be worth a shot.

I get sad when I think about all the ibm Model Ms that have slipped through my hands.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So my GMMK Pro died little while back. Wouldn't boot into the firmware recovery mode (even using the button on the back).

Glorious support was actually pretty good to work with, sent a prepaid shipping label, replacement just shipped out today.

While tearing down the keyboard to send back, I was breaking all little tabs trying to remove the switches, any idea why?

There are all Glorious branded Gateron Green switches. The majority of them broke like this when coming out.

I was using a switch puller like this. No amount of wiggling would get almost any of them to pop (maybe 4 removed smoothly).

None the less, I ordered some new switches to try (Kailh Box Navy) as well as a different switch puller (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C4BCAK/)

Unsure if that puller I was using is just dog crap, or the switches were crap, or the mounting on the board itself?

Thoughts?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Probably your switch puller. I think I've maybe broken one switch before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think you might have just been applying too much squeezing force if a majority of them broke like that. Or failed to catch on the switch. You're supposed to just grip the lip on the bottom housing and pull outwards.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 11, 2022