Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Interesting conversation.

As a healer I think I panic a bit when I see tank HP dropping quickly. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but as a White Mage I tend to throw out whatever oGCDs I have access to whenever I feel like they wouldn't get the tank to full HP. Why save them? I also don't tend to use Benediction, though. I'm still dropping out of that "use it or lose it" mindset when it comes to seriously big cooldowns like that. It kept me from using Presence of Mind before its adjustment, too, though I still sometimes forget. I think the point I'm trying to make is that playing it safe in dungeons is okay, because who knows how good your allies are going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I use those buttons (maybe not vengeance enough though) and try not to have them overlap, so I’m clearly doing something wrong. I’m not using Holmgang though except in the case that I’m down below 10% and don’t have a heal up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

a cartoon duck posted:

if the tank is low on hp then we all know it's the dps' fault for being poo poo and not killing things faster

Real talk, as someone who mostly plays DPS, I kind of agree with this. I play a Red Mage, and it is extremely noticeable when the trash isn't dying fast enough, which causes issues for the tanks/healers. I don't know if, for example, Dragoons just don't have good AOE options, but pulls tend to be a lot more hairy when the other DPS is a Dragoon compared to say, a Reaper or a Dancer where the trash will just absolutely melt when paired with my Red Mage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if it helps, presence of mind is a DPS button, not a heal button

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my dungeon opener as whm is

swiftcast while running between packs
holy
assize
presence of mind
holy
holy
holy
holy
(check if the tank needs healing, maybe use tetra)
holy
holy
holy
(if the mobs are still alive I probably need to use a real heal button around now)

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i shepherded a group through dead ends as top dps as drk and i should have just left after the first boss but knowing another tank would feel the same pain stopped me. bad dps is the worst thing in dungeons - full stop

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Macaluso posted:

I don't know if, for example, Dragoons just don't have good AOE options, but pulls tend to be a lot more hairy when the other DPS is a Dragoon compared to say, a Reaper or a Dancer where the trash will just absolutely melt when paired with my Red Mage.

Dragoon AOE is slightly wonky and shows up really late in the toolkit even compared to other melee DPS. I am not a great Dragoon, but I feel like I always have to remind myself that their vanilla AOE combo even exists.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Real talk, as someone who mostly plays DPS, I kind of agree with this. I play a Red Mage, and it is extremely noticeable when the trash isn't dying fast enough, which causes issues for the tanks/healers. I don't know if, for example, Dragoons just don't have good AOE options, but pulls tend to be a lot more hairy when the other DPS is a Dragoon compared to say, a Reaper or a Dancer where the trash will just absolutely melt when paired with my Red Mage.

drg aoe is completely fine at high levels. It doesn't exist until 45 or so and doesn't stop sucking until mid stormblood, though

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I know that Presence of Mind is for DPS. What I do in dungeon pulls starting out is usually, when the person starts their pull, use Regen and Benison on them, then slam Aeros/Dias at the mobs as we're running to the next one. When the packs merge, use Dia one last time, do Assize, Swiftcast, and then Holy. Then re-establish Regen for my next GCD while they're still stunned, along with throwing down one of Asylum or the Wings ability, and then holy spam till I need to heal. It's the "need to heal" part that kind of kills me because Holy is a full 2.50 cast and you can't avoid clipping if you need to do something else.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Alxprit posted:

What I do in dungeon pulls starting out is usually, when the person starts their pull, use Regen

You shouldn't regen the tank until they've stopped pulling, it can make aggroing all of the mobs annoying because they run after the healer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought they fixed that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's nothing to fix. The aggro goes to the healer because the healing from the regen is the first/only source of enmity until the tank grabs them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought they made it so that regens applied out of combat didn’t generate enmity from their ticks or something. Guess not!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I mean, if they've already hit the mobs and gained their emnity, Regen isn't hurting anyone, right? In my experience I haven't been slapped by mobs all that often doing this method. And if it does happen it's basically taken care of by Assize anyway.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For dungeon pulls on WHM, I don't necessarily have a hard and fast rule on when to use Benediction, but incoming damage usually comes in consistent waves as mobs gets their auto-attacks in, so if I see the tank's HP dropping by, say, ~7,000 per wave, I'll get ready to use it around 20,000 HP left and usually try to weave it after my next GCD (or probably clip, if I'm tossing Holy). Spikes can happen from cooldowns falling off and crits, and latency is a thing, so I don't usually actually try to save it for The Last Shred of HP (unless the tank isn't a Paladin and is using actively using their Big Tank Button), but in general that'll often be plenty of special healing on one big pull for a decent group (so I still have the rest of my longer recast tools on the other pull), and keeping it rolling means I get at least one per dungeon section (before each boss, in other words - and bosses don't really hit as hard as a big trash pull).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It really isn't a big deal if the healer takes a couple of auto attacks as long as they are standing by the tank.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah as a sage I frequently pull aggro from Kardia healing and I just stand near the tank to help them get it. As long as the tank isn't an idiot it's fine (and if the tank is an idiot you have bigger problems to deal with).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trash Ops posted:

i shepherded a group through dead ends as top dps as drk and i should have just left after the first boss but knowing another tank would feel the same pain stopped me. bad dps is the worst thing in dungeons - full stop

Thinking about the time in Stormblood where I was stuck in The Burn as a SCH and I was the one with the highest DPS out of the 4.

I'm not entirely sure how a SAM could have done less damage than me, but I did learn the precise order of how Mist Dragon goes around doing its third and fourth mist phases.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Hommando posted:

You shouldn't regen the tank until they've stopped pulling, it can make aggroing all of the mobs annoying because they run after the healer.

If the healer is doing their job and stacking on the tank, then taking a first round of autos instead of the tank is just free mitigation.

That said there is basically no reason to use regen in high level dungeons, use that GCD while running to stick a dot on something instead.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I mean, if they've already hit the mobs and gained their emnity, Regen isn't hurting anyone, right? In my experience I haven't been slapped by mobs all that often doing this method. And if it does happen it's basically taken care of by Assize anyway.

What happens is if the tank hits only part of a linked group they'll have secured aggro on the mob(s) they hit, but any they missed will enter combat and then beeline to the healer. It's not really a big deal as long as the healer is running alongside the tank because they'll just get picked up by the next aoe when they manage to catch up to you.
It becomes a mild issue if the healer is max-ranging the tank for some reason, and then starts freaking out trying to kite the mobs instead of running them to the tank, but those are their own problem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's haima not hamia good lord

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hams off to ya

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Next you'll say it isn't Pepsi.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

i think you just gave me dyskrasia

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im totally calling it hamia from now on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Subjunctive posted:

I use those buttons (maybe not vengeance enough though) and try not to have them overlap, so I’m clearly doing something wrong. I’m not using Holmgang though except in the case that I’m down below 10% and don’t have a heal up.

Don't think of holmgang as an emergency switch - plan around it and use it to your advantage. It really helps to have thrill and equilibrium to pop right near the end.

Also don't stack vengeance with arm's length because it has the thorns that lose effectiveness because of arm's length's slow.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamean posted:

dunno if they fixed it yet but there is/was a glitch where you do this but your sch summons their fairy which'll do continuous tiny heals that count for critical healing each time

still a thing, dont think there's been a patch since it became widespread knowledge

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't think of holmgang as an emergency switch - plan around it and use it to your advantage. It really helps to have thrill and equilibrium to pop right near the end.

Also don't stack vengeance with arm's length because it has the thorns that lose effectiveness because of arm's length's slow.

The WHM picks that cooldown as the time to start spamming Holy anyway.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
sage's abilities ham, pineapple, and pepsi

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The WHM picks that cooldown as the time to start spamming Holy anyway.

look, when the tank first runs in they're taking damage which means i have the heal them, right? and then they stop taking damage so i can finally start casting holy!

something something first do no harm :eng101:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 11, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a little funny when I do dungeons on DRK and don't realize there's a WHM healer. always spend the first pull having a quick little ragie when I realize I'm not gonna be popping any TBNs for like ten seconds

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oneiros posted:

look, when the tank first runs in they're taking damage which means i have the heal them, right? and then they stop taking damage so i can finally start casting holy!

something something first do no harm :eng101:

If WHM had a spammable AoE that didn't stun I'd be more grouchy about the conflicts. Now it's just when I'm intending to stun some annoying attack (for example the 81 dungeon with large AoEs on small platforms) and the anger's directed at game design rather than players.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

that is to say when I'm leveling whm I love that holy has a stun

when I'm leveling drk I hate that holy has a stun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair having just finished leveling DRK there is no joy in a DRK's life.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Pals, I love Summoner.

Show me your SMN glams. What're your best books?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair having just finished leveling DRK there is no joy in a DRK's life.

Gotta keep in line with the ~class fantasy~ baybeeeeeee

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Macaluso posted:

You know what a huge pain in the rear end it is to line up Resolution to hit as much of the pull as possible? That's how every* Dragoon AoE attack works. And, like others have mentioned, that's assuming you're doing a dungeon at a high enough level for them to even have an AoE attack, which they get later than every other job.

*Except Stardiver and Dragonfire Dive, but those happen once or twice per pull.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HackensackBackpack posted:

Pals, I love Summoner.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HackensackBackpack posted:

Pals, I love Summoner.

My current favorite book is a holy book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

My current favorite book is a holy book

these books are incredible. the dev team really knocked it out of the park after a string of (personally speaking) boring books over the last expac