Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Frankston posted:

Elden Ring

Gonna play ur Elders ring

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t tell me how to live my life

I will be heading off to die in a ditch and I empower you to do the same.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Vaati said they've added some sort of gold filigree around the health/mana/stamina bars and they fit much better in the world.

Yeah it’s a welcome change. The item menus didn’t look bad, but the health, stamina is, FP bars were only a half step above 3 rectangles that were (255,0,0), (0,255,0), &(0,0,255).

I still think the DS2 UI is the best looking and I love how it zooms in on your character when you are in the equip or stats menu.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The DS2 zoom kind of sucks because it disorients you when you're hardswapping in the middle of combat, while DS3 lets you minimize the central window and pushes the icons to the side. Letting you maneuver while changing your loadout.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Frankston posted:

Elden Ring

Imagine being so brokebrained as to put these two graceful words in small text. I doubt you even could!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
can't wait to play eldy rings in two weeks boy howdy

gonna leave ominous messages everywhere warning of clown

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
I have choice paralysis wrt to starting class. It’s terrible!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

y_y posted:

Luckily there is always the option to be real boy and pick the "none" option and just swap around based on what you find.

I know it's still two weeks away, but has there been any news on the precise time of release? I will gladly stay up until the early hours of the morning to play this as soon as humanly possible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Infinity Gaia posted:

Luckily there is always the option to be real boy and pick the "none" option and just swap around based on what you find.

I know it's still two weeks away, but has there been any news on the precise time of release? I will gladly stay up until the early hours of the morning to play this as soon as humanly possible.

I'm assuming midnight but also assuming they will do something to gently caress me over and release it at like 11pm my time on the 25th

E: had a look, PSN says midnight release

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 11, 2022

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
From what it looks like, you will really be able to grow your character as the class you start with regards to specialization into that fantasy.

Ds3 was like... big sword, fast sword, sorcery or pyro and like what, 8 classes? It looks like there will be a little more granularity and each class feels subtly different in a way not previously present.

Just how I felt after that vaati video.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I'm definitely going for whatever the Deprived equivalent is. Just gonna roll with what I get, and have that reward of working up all the way from zero. It'll also mean that subsequent characters will probably be much easier.

Alas, I'll probably only get to start the game like a week or so after release because that download is gonna take forever.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 11, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

Does he mention performance? I believe the PS5 build of the network test on performance mode still had drops below 60 (I think Digital Founday mentioned something like even on performance mode the PS5 version didn’t have dynamic resolution/checkerboard rendering).

Don't think so, but I dropped out a few minutes in after hearing about cloak transmog. After that I figured "Yeah that's rad as Hell but I wanna keep anything more a surprise."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There's a guy wearing a black cloak and cowl in the newer footage and that's 100% going to be my look it's awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Odd Wilson posted:

I think I'm definitely going for whatever the Deprived equivalent is. Just gonna roll with what I get, and have that reward of working up all the way from zero. It'll also mean that subsequent characters will probably be much easier.

That's what I did for all 3 DS games and it was a helluva lot of fun.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I took a few days off work for the release and plan to stay up for the unlocking, with pizza, with coffee, and with no shame. Just sayin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i will play for 2 days straight and go to work looking like a zombie

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I danced with the devil and read some previews and learned a thing I wish I had discovered on my own. Lesson learned, time to go dark on first-hand impressions.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is there gonna be a desert level i wonder? I hope so.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I danced with the devil and read some previews and learned a thing I wish I had discovered on my own. Lesson learned, time to go dark on first-hand impressions.

yuuuup

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

vandalism posted:

Is there gonna be a desert level i wonder? I hope so.

yeah it's confirmed

https://www.gamerbraves.com/elden-ring-s-yasuhiro-kitao-says-margit-was-overtuned-for-beta-and-more-in-new-interview/

interview here where kitao claims the exploit has been fixed. he also says margit was too hard in the network test so they've adjusted his difficulty. there's no real spoilers in the piece

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

y_y posted:

same, so literally the only thing i want to spoil for myself are the starting classes/stats + starting items, so i can have two weeks to sort out my indecision.

is that info out somewhere? i want to see it (and nothing else)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm not sure how I think about Pharros' Lockstones/Fragrant Branches of Yore returning to the game, I was never the biggest fan of how awkwardly they integrate into the world.

lih
May 15, 2013

punished milkman posted:

same, so literally the only thing i want to spoil for myself are the starting classes/stats + starting items, so i can have two weeks to sort out my indecision.

is that info out somewhere? i want to see it (and nothing else)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVKdhl-C_A

there's starting class details in a section at the start of this video. afterwards gets pretty spoilery so be warned

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Phobophilia posted:

I'm not sure how I think about Pharros' Lockstones/Fragrant Branches of Yore returning to the game, I was never the biggest fan of how awkwardly they integrate into the world.

Sounds like they are now cool bonuses with great weapons or other items. So kinda worth it vs a new door to bullshit.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like that deprived usually starts out with Nothing in their armor slots but a solid weapon. you cant take much but you can dish it out no problem.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CYBEReris posted:

i like that deprived usually starts out with Nothing in their armor slots but a solid weapon. you cant take much but you can dish it out no problem.

Full agree.

The club is and always has been pretty good for what you have it for. I mean, hell, it's got A STR scaling.

When it comes to DS2 your starting weapon was pretty much the Dagger, and given how that game worked, it was pretty solid. If you were playing earlier patches of DS2, then a mundane dagger pretty much rolled the whole game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question for anyone who played the network test or whatever: is Elden Ring any easier/harder than previous Souls games? Was watching something today that mentioned that Elden Ring made Shields more viable, which made me think it would it be a bit easier. However, I also watched the video Iron Pineapple made, and he said the boss you fight towards the end of the demo is super tough.

Iron Pineapple also said that the game takes some cues from Sekiro, and I've not yet played Sekiro. Should I check out Sekiro before Elden Ring? I'm playing the Demon's Souls remake right now, and with Elden Ring scheduled to release in two weeks, I don't think I'd be able to get it and beat it in that time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Question for anyone who played the network test or whatever: is Elden Ring any easier/harder than previous Souls games? Was watching something today that mentioned that Elden Ring made Shields more viable, which made me think it would it be a bit easier. However, I also watched the video Iron Pineapple made, and he said the boss you fight towards the end of the demo is super tough.

Iron Pineapple also said that the game takes some cues from Sekiro, and I've not yet played Sekiro. Should I check out Sekiro before Elden Ring? I'm playing the Demon's Souls remake right now, and with Elden Ring scheduled to release in two weeks, I don't think I'd be able to get it and beat it in that time.

so much harder op. i haven't played it yet but i'm absolutely rigid, erect, if that's what you are asking.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Max Wilco posted:

Did you already buy Elden Ring? Then you'll find out in 2wks like the rest of us.

Did you not already buy Elden Ring? Then you have time to play through Sekiro!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
just preordered my dudes and i went with the deluxe because i wanna shower From in money for being one of the relatively few devs making good games these days

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
it's going to be incredibly hard or incredibly easy, but rest assured there will be discourse

lih
May 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

network test felt like pretty standard souls difficulty, but with a pretty wide range just in that early area. a lot of minibosses weren't too hard, but there were some bigger bosses in the open world that were much tougher, and the main boss of it (margit) was very difficult. i was also pretty out of practice with souls combat and didn't play enough to really get a feel for it so ymmv.

i've seen a lot of people say the network test maybe too easy generally, but reports from the final build are that the game is a little harder than the network test overall as all the item placements & enemy drops etc. have been modified so you generally have less resources starting out than you did in the network test. the devs have also said that margit was too hard in the network test so they've tuned his difficulty.

the big thing compared to previous souls games is that bosses aren't really roadblocks in the way that they used to be. if you're struggling against a boss that's too hard, you can just go elsewhere and level up & gain resources until you can put up more of a fight. it sounds like it's intentional that you can just stumble into areas & bosses that are way above your level, in a way that wasn't really the case in previous games.

sekiro rules & there are some mechanical influences in elden ring (mainly jumping & stealth) so you should absolutely check it out at some point but no need to rush for it immediately.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Vaati said they've added some sort of gold filigree around the health/mana/stamina bars and they fit much better in the world.

I like this, I hope we get some styling around it like DS2's. DS3's meter HUD was way too plain. (Also From, you cowards, bring back the random ruler notches from the DS1 health bar!!!)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like this, I hope we get some styling around it like DS2's. DS3's meter HUD was way too plain. (Also From, you cowards, bring back the random ruler notches from the DS1 health bar!!!)

Yes

bring back my arbitrary health centimeters

No joke, was actually pretty useful for simplifying damage estimation. "Yeah, that did 3 blocks" kind of thing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Joe Man posted:

Did you already buy Elden Ring? Then you'll find out in 2wks like the rest of us.

Did you not already buy Elden Ring? Then you have time to play through Sekiro!

I have not bought Elden Ring, but I thought about pre-ordering a physical copy on Amazon for PS5. I could buy it for PC, though (have to check the system requirements).

Like I said, I'm playing Demon's Souls Remake right now. I've made it to the point where I could fight most of the end bosses for each world, but I thought about going for the platinum, which would require another run through NG+ and NG+2. I though maybe I could do it before Elden Ring came out, but it depends on what I'm able to get done in that time. Alternatively, I could drop it after beating the game normally and buy Sekiro.

lih posted:

network test felt like pretty standard souls difficulty, but with a pretty wide range just in that early area. a lot of minibosses weren't too hard, but there were some bigger bosses in the open world that were much tougher, and the main boss of it (margit) was very difficult. i was also pretty out of practice with souls combat and didn't play enough to really get a feel for it so ymmv.

i've seen a lot of people say the network test maybe too easy generally, but reports from the final build are that the game is a little harder than the network test overall as all the item placements & enemy drops etc. have been modified so you generally have less resources starting out than you did in the network test. the devs have also said that margit was too hard in the network test so they've tuned his difficulty.

the big thing compared to previous souls games is that bosses aren't really roadblocks in the way that they used to be. if you're struggling against a boss that's too hard, you can just go elsewhere and level up & gain resources until you can put up more of a fight. it sounds like it's intentional that you can just stumble into areas & bosses that are way above your level, in a way that wasn't really the case in previous games.

sekiro rules & there are some mechanical influences in elden ring (mainly jumping & stealth) so you should absolutely check it out at some point but no need to rush for it immediately.

I guess the reason why I've been hesitant about Sekiro is that (aside from it not going on sale for as cheap as I'd like) I've been told that it a lot more skill based than Soulsborne, and that it's substantially more difficult as a result (it banks more on parrying attacks). That said, I've heard that there's some tools in the game that help ease the difficulty.

I guess for reference, I've finished all the other Soulsborne games. I haven't done the DLC for DS1 yet, and I only did parts of the DLC for DS2: SotFS. I've 100%'d Bloodborne and The Old Hunters, Demon's Souls Classic, and DS3 and its DLC. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging; I'm just putting that forth for an estimation of how I'd fare in Sekiro or Elden Ring.

If I bought Sekiro, should I get it on PS4 or PC?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Max Wilco posted:

Early consensus is that Elden Ring is looking to be a 7.1 difficulty game, compared to DS1's 8.3 rating and Sekiro's 9.0. This will be revised on full release obviously.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Early consensus is that Elden Ring is looking to be a 7.1 difficulty game, compared to DS1's 8.3 rating and Sekiro's 9.0. This will be revised on full release obviously.

I can't tell if this is an earnest post or a troll hahaha, I love it

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sekiro being a light 9 makes sense but difficulty wise I would put Elden Ring at a medium 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I guess the reason why I've been hesitant about Sekiro is that (aside from it not going on sale for as cheap as I'd like) I've been told that it a lot more skill based than Soulsborne, and that it's substantially more difficult as a result (it banks more on parrying attacks). That said, I've heard that there's some tools in the game that help ease the difficulty.

I guess for reference, I've finished all the other Soulsborne games. I haven't done the DLC for DS1 yet, and I only did parts of the DLC for DS2: SotFS. I've 100%'d Bloodborne and The Old Hunters, Demon's Souls Classic, and DS3 and its DLC. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging; I'm just putting that forth for an estimation of how I'd fare in Sekiro or Elden Ring.

If I bought Sekiro, should I get it on PS4 or PC?

Sekiro is a somewhat different playstyle that takes some getting used to, but I don't think it's quite some massive jump in difficulty compared to other From games. the main thing is that difficult bosses are even more of a roadblock than before - you can't summon help, you can't grind until you're over-levelled, cheese strats are pretty limited. it is indeed very focused around parrying, but Dark Souls parrying isn't really the best comparison, it's its own thing, so don't let that put you off. if you've done most of the previous games solo and had a good time, you should be fine. if you got most of your enjoyment out of them through co-op to get through the toughest parts then maybe you'd have a rougher time.

get Sekiro on PC unless your PC is heavily underpowered, it isn't very demanding and will get much better performance than on PS4 pretty easily.