Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rackspace is such a meme. When I started, I was happy with it because setting up emails was super straightforward, but a large client of ours constantly had breaches related to OWA somehow (before I got here so don't ask me what happened) so my boss disabled their ability to use OWA. Well, they also have some users on hosted exchange with 100 gb mailboxes and rackspace doesn't offer a way to transition to an e3 or whatever. Further, there's no exchange admin portal for us or the rackspace people, so when someone hits that hard limit of 100 and emails are bouncing? Have to solve it by archiving locally because no OWA. This is a major problem when the host device is on wifi you can't remote into and your only other recourse is to add and download a 100 gb mailbox locally to clean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats on being the person to bring it up and having management start checking up on people who absolutely were taking breaks before and not logging it / lying about it somehow.

Or maybe you work at a literal slave camp where people are chained to desks and whipped to death. Either one.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

star eater posted:

I just started this week.

No joking. i confirmed with the CEO that they do not offer paid breaks at the moment and he said they don’t and if they figure out they aren’t legally obligated to they’ll continue to not do so

Are you salaried? Do you have set hours?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sickening posted:

If this is the US, I would suspect that states laws would cover the requirements for stuff like this. But even outside of requirements, a company that wouldn't offer reasonable breaks and lunches is bottom of the barrel trash.

there are only like 3 states that require employers to provide any sort of break.

star eater posted:

I should keep looking.

you should keep looking.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I always thought that a 30 minute unpaid lunch for more than 5 hours a day was a federal law, but it isn't. This country.

I'd ghost a company so fast that said I couldn't take a break and had to bill my time for projects to the minute.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cyks posted:

I always thought that a 30 minute unpaid lunch for more than 5 hours a day was a federal law, but it isn't. This country.

I'd ghost a company so fast that said I couldn't take a break and had to bill my time for projects to the minute.

When i was working 12-14 hour days in food service i didn't get breaks and that is when i learned about this trash.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is actually an interesting topic labor wise. I too did not realize those laws were not federal and only some states. I feel it should probably be a federal law.

Is it just me or does this paragraph come off as starkly anti worker, almost to a comical degree?

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

quote:

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the workweek and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Inner Light posted:

This is actually an interesting topic labor wise. I too did not realize those laws were not federal and only some states. I feel it should probably be a federal law.

Is it just me or does this paragraph come off as starkly anti worker, almost to a comical degree?

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

I had the same feeling reading over the frequently asked questions for wages and hours section. It's written to be very clear but they could also just write "No. Get hosed." to every question and get the same message across.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Rackspace is such a meme. When I started, I was happy with it because setting up emails was super straightforward, but a large client of ours constantly had breaches related to OWA somehow (before I got here so don't ask me what happened) so my boss disabled their ability to use OWA. Well, they also have some users on hosted exchange with 100 gb mailboxes and rackspace doesn't offer a way to transition to an e3 or whatever. Further, there's no exchange admin portal for us or the rackspace people, so when someone hits that hard limit of 100 and emails are bouncing? Have to solve it by archiving locally because no OWA. This is a major problem when the host device is on wifi you can't remote into and your only other recourse is to add and download a 100 gb mailbox locally to clean it.

I forgot about their lovely Hosted Exchange

I haven't dealt with Rackspace in years and it was pretty bad back then, I don't even want to know what it's like after all the layoffs and poo poo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

i am a moron posted:

Are you salaried? Do you have set hours?

I’m salaried but expected to log 40 hours of work a week on average. So I was advised if I want to take breaks i can come in early or leave later or what ever

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Another day, another reason Im glad not to be in America.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When I worked at an MSP most of the guys didn't take a lunch or ate a sandwich at their desk so they could leave early

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If the progress bar is moving, it's billable time.

:frogout:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Get several progress bars moving at the same time. Bill an hour or two in like 15 minutes of active time

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Get several progress bars moving at the same time. Bill an hour or two in like 15 minutes of active time

I do this but I don’t get time off as a result lol so what’s the point

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I do this but I don’t get time off as a result lol so what’s the point

If juking the stats doesn't get you any benefit, then sure, dont do it. Or figure out a more clever juke that does benefit you.

Or just :yotj:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

Cold Backups (beyond 60 days) cannot be restored until they are moved from long-term retention which generally takes around 36 hours.

Well whaddya know. You can't have that file from November. Not today at least.

So I tried to explain this concept to my team TODAY after being cut out of meetings about backups and cloud storage. Someone had the bright idea to invoke Amazon's name for backup storage without fully understanding the implications and now everyone involved is fixated on it because "it's so cheap."

Yeah... Glacier is cheap, but at what cost?

In the same conversation my boss was turning down other options because "in the event of a disaster recovery scenario, we cannot afford to be down for two days. Also other storage options are too expensive per TB."

Okay well I'm pretty sure that it takes AT LEAST a day to be able to get to your data and god only knows how loving long to actually download it. And yeah it's cheap to put your data into Glacier, but it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg if you have to actually retrieve all 50+TB. Of course they didn't believe me that retrieval costs were a thing and didn't even ask about it in the call with Amazon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

star eater posted:

No joking. i confirmed with the CEO that they do not offer paid breaks at the moment and he said they don’t and if they figure out they aren’t legally obligated to they’ll continue to not do so

Here's your mic drop:
"You are not legally obligated to offer breaks, and I'm not legally obligated to work for you."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Work is slow today, so I decided to rotate my ssh keys.

Let's see how many systems I can find that automated systems don't cover. :unsmigghh:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I would just carry on working like you did before and wait and see if anybody brings it up.

In my old job our area was like it's own company within a company so no one important paid any attention to us.

One day that changed and the CIO said to my boss my guys bill every hour of every day, I want stats on your guys

Our boss instructed us to bill every hour. Prior to this instruction we did put time on jobs but for no real reason so they were way under billing every hour - so from then on all the usual rounding tricks started to be applied but nothing really changed work wise.

Except for one manager out of the 5 of us who took exception to it and said he was too busy to do that, started asking should he log tickets for time spent in meetings - yes. What about site management meetings not pertaining to any projects - yes log a ticket.

He took it to such an extreme that when he made a coffee and used the last hand towell, he changed the roll, therefore raised a ticket and logged time for doing it.

He and our boss fell out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazon named their product after something that moves incredibly slowly in the hope that people who don't bother reading a single thing about it would think "oh it might be slow" but somehow that's not enough.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I call Glacier a backup of last resort, heh.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

star eater posted:

I hosed up.

new msp gig doesn't have paid breaks and expects 40 hours avg of logged work a week. Didn't anticipate I should confirm "does your job offer even 1 measly paid break a day or does it expect 8 hours of balls-to-the-wall work every single day during the week?" Or is this something I should have expected? I got off easy last job I guess: it was a dead easy environment and probably only required 10-15 hours of actual work a week (honestly, if that, some weeks), but it was on-site every day. And I wasn't learning a ton of hands-on to be honest, just kind of coasting. Maybe it'll be good to stick it out for a little bit, or something. Idk. I'm kinda new still.

It's not even that I really REQUIRE breaks, but it's the principle of it? Gonna be stressful feeling like I gotta "make up" for bathroom breaks or something.

I should keep looking.

My job, until recently, technically expected 45 hours of billed time per week. Of course, nobody actually did 45 hours worth of work.

The way this worked for us is that everything was done in 30 minute increments, no matter how long anything actually took. Did something that took 5 minutes to fix? Bill 30. Did something that took 35 minutes to fix? Bill an hour.

Of course, a lot of our customers are on managed service contracts that are a flat rate per month, so most of them it didn't make a big deal to their bottom line. You figured out pretty quick which customers were paying by the hour and tried to stick to actual time as much as possible for them. But even for them, they expected things to be billed in 30 minute increments, it was usually written into their contracts.

We took an hour unpaid lunch every day, and nobody looked at you strange for getting up and getting a cup of coffee, or shooting the poo poo for a bit with coworkers.

Having to track your time like that isn't the WORST, but my quality of life and level of stress has improved since we went off having to track time for all our tickets.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last job had 5 minute increments and actual time was measured in Service Now tickets. First I kept tickets open so I could just the 40 hours they wanted, but that wasn't what they wanted, so I started spending less time on tickets and then padding it with random self study and research categories but that wasn't allowed too, it also wasn't allowed to clock less then 40 hours.
My tenure there ended after 3 months after I lost my temper due to the micromanagement. Still don't regret telling a manager to go do something more productive with his time than stare over my shoulder the whole day.

My main takeaway is either don't work for MSPs or ask during the interview how they track time/billable hours.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Having to track your time like that isn't the WORST

I mean, life could always be worse, but I gotta be honest that sounds fairly miserable when I have to be tracking my time in 30min intervals at the place I spend most of my life. At the same time I realize it's a quasi-necessary evil in some environments because customers will require it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm so glad that I bill for projects not tickets. My customer regularly goes back to "we want you to bill per task send us a spreadsheet" and then after a few weeks of billing them 30 minutes to create their spreadsheet that nobody looks at, they forget about it for another year.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
On fixed fee managed services contracts (which constitutes a lot of them) the client actually doesn’t care. The company wants to track time spent on stuff to charge the client more or do internal margin calculations and other really stupid things. I don’t work at an MSP but I’ve gotten into arguments about why we’re hemming and hawing about margin on projects when we’re charging clients per sprint regardless of my hours, you have to pay my rear end and everyone else’s rear end too you big dummies my timecard fidelity doesn’t actually change any profitability other than what bucket my costs go to.

KillHour posted:

I'm so glad that I bill for projects not tickets. My customer regularly goes back to "we want you to bill per task send us a spreadsheet" and then after a few weeks of billing them 30 minutes to create their spreadsheet that nobody looks at, they forget about it for another year.

A PM recently asked me to put notes on all my days, I said no and I’m still not doing it. If you have to ask what I’m doing all day maybe you should check my commits or JIRA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

A PM recently asked me to put notes on all my days, I said no and I’m still not doing it. If you have to ask what I’m doing all day maybe you should check my commits or JIRA

Joke's on them, 70% of my billable time is in meetings on my calendar and the other 30% is already tracked by hour in Rally so making the spreadsheet lets me bill them for admin time and improve my bonuses while basically taking no effort at all.

Edit: And if you message me after 6, you're getting billed 30 minutes for making me look at my phone to answer your 5 second question that could have waited until tomorrow. They know this is my policy and they still do it :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Billing by time was really awful and I hope I never have to do it again. I'm fairly familiar with law firms, who also do a lot of time based billing, and it makes everyone miserable.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It takes me about 4 minutes to do my timecard every week, 6-7 minutes if I work a night shift (this happens pretty regularly). Don't have to put in any comments or anything, it's pretty nice :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Billing by time was really awful and I hope I never have to do it again. I'm fairly familiar with law firms, who also do a lot of time based billing, and it makes everyone miserable.

Law firms are worse because they have strict rules about how much you can bill and how accurate you have to be about it. The last time I hired a lawyer for something I got a 3 page breakdown of every dumb law they looked up and probably all the times their receptionist sneezed and they had to remove 0.7 seconds from the bill. They apparently do this because you end up in litigations over paying opposing lawyer fees or whatever.

When you work for a private company, that poo poo is all handled under contract and if your contract says you bill in buckets to the nearest half hour or whatever, you're good. It takes me probably 30 seconds to check my outlook and teams to remind myself if I worked any extra hours and fill out my time sheet. It's only a problem if the company you work for doesn't have a backbone and lets the customer play the nickle and dime game over whether that call really went to noon or if it ended 5 minutes early. If the policies are clear and beneficial to you individually, it's not that much work. I dread submitting my expense reports way more because that actually takes time to do.

Oddly enough, this seems to be directly proportional to how expensive you are. If you are making $20 an hour, the customer will fight you to the death over that half a cup of coffee, but if you bill $300 an hour, everything gets rounded and it's never an issue.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For a while when we operated under a "matrix" model we had to fill out a time card billing our time to one of 10 or so services every pay period. Also at annual budget time, each employee was parceled out between the services so that X% of your salary is paid by one service, another Y% is paid by another service, etc. So we all just put those percentages in our biweekly time card. And then eventually HR just realized the data was pointless. I think they have the managers fill this out "for" us on some regular basis now?

If I had to actually bill with any granularity per ticket or client or project I'd lose my mind, I've got ADHD and I'm working on like 3 things at any one time, and I can't even begin to imagine how I'd translate that. I have a bad enough time just writing stuff in Jira tickets to make my process-loving manager happy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I still fill out a time sheet but it has been a very long time since I’ve had to do more that mark 8 hours for every day

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

KillHour posted:

Oddly enough, this seems to be directly proportional to how expensive you are. If you are making $20 an hour, the customer will fight you to the death over that half a cup of coffee, but if you bill $300 an hour, everything gets rounded and it's never an issue.

My last workplace tracked time for our CS reps, and too-long bathroom breaks were a cause for dismissal. Meanwhile, an exec expensed his home remodeling.

There's a lot of talk about caring about company culture, but for me, the question is "will you be treated like a partner, or a peon?" Time tracking automatically moves the needle towards peon, but at the right level of compensation, you could go from trying to eke out 40 hours to taking Friday afternoons off to go on a bike ride or something. I'm hourly and am going to prime 40k models this afternoon, and it's paid for by shorter lunch breaks and checking email outside of work hours.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

cage-free egghead posted:

They did say the position was that top of their range for that position, but I'll have to take it to the negotiation thread in BFC and get some advice.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

I'll also add that I've come a long way in the last 7-8 years. Thought I'd forever be a field tech making like $20/hr. Had no aspirations to do better, didn't care to go to college, etc. Super super lazy and unmotivated. In the last 3 years I've re-enrolled for school for the 4th time, acquired 7 different IT certs, and finally figured out more of what I wanted to do. If I can get out of a hole and want to go for something better, anyone can do it.

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask what IT certs you decided to chase down?

After loving around and being unmotivated from 2013-19, last November I finally managed to land my first *real* internal corporate IT gig. Technically contracting, but I'm hoping to be hired on in full in the near future. So far I've mainly been touching AD, O365 admin, preparing laptops for new remote users, Jira tickets and the like. I'm jazzed that I got my foot in the door and have some new skills to add to my resume but I'm worried about falling into complacency like in years past. I've been working my way through an AZ-900 course during downtime that I think was linked in here a ways back but I don't really know exactly where I'm wanting to head career-wise beyond angling towards "the cloud" and making myself more marketable. I'd appreciate your / the thread's perspective!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

republic posted:

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask what IT certs you decided to chase down?

After loving around and being unmotivated from 2013-19, last November I finally managed to land my first *real* internal corporate IT gig. Technically contracting, but I'm hoping to be hired on in full in the near future. So far I've mainly been touching AD, O365 admin, preparing laptops for new remote users, Jira tickets and the like. I'm jazzed that I got my foot in the door and have some new skills to add to my resume but I'm worried about falling into complacency like in years past. I've been working my way through an AZ-900 course during downtime that I think was linked in here a ways back but I don't really know exactly where I'm wanting to head career-wise beyond angling towards "the cloud" and making myself more marketable. I'd appreciate your / the thread's perspective!

Yeah, you're following a similar path that I am.

I applied to WGU in like 2017 but didn't have enough college credits to get accepted, but they do also accept CompTIA certs so I decided that it was a good time to get the Net+. Once admitted in there, I got my A+, Sec+, Linux Essentials, AWS CCP, Cloud+, and now I'm studying for my second attempt at the AWS SOA.

WGU has absolutely been worth it for me, especially while I was unemployed or had down time at work. I'll likely be able to finish about a year early.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I'm going to buy a beat to gently caress farmhouse in maine grow blueberries with 2 or 3 massachusetts type wives and never touch a computer again

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

cage-free egghead posted:

Yeah, you're following a similar path that I am.

I applied to WGU in like 2017 but didn't have enough college credits to get accepted, but they do also accept CompTIA certs so I decided that it was a good time to get the Net+. Once admitted in there, I got my A+, Sec+, Linux Essentials, AWS CCP, Cloud+, and now I'm studying for my second attempt at the AWS SOA.

WGU has absolutely been worth it for me, especially while I was unemployed or had down time at work. I'll likely be able to finish about a year early.

Appreciate it! I'll def check it out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Contingency posted:

My last workplace tracked time for our CS reps, and too-long bathroom breaks were a cause for dismissal. Meanwhile, an exec expensed his home remodeling.

There's a lot of talk about caring about company culture, but for me, the question is "will you be treated like a partner, or a peon?" Time tracking automatically moves the needle towards peon, but at the right level of compensation, you could go from trying to eke out 40 hours to taking Friday afternoons off to go on a bike ride or something. I'm hourly and am going to prime 40k models this afternoon, and it's paid for by shorter lunch breaks and checking email outside of work hours.

lovely workplaces are gonna be lovely regardless of any specific policy because the policies are written by lovely people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

scott zoloft posted:

2 or 3 massachusetts type wives

Is this a code word for some type of farm animal