Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako

End chapter 12! (Of 15 - we're coming in to the home stretch.)
... Chako's what-ing whats?

Which one of these things involved in the process is the hazyhorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol this goon doesn't even know how to napse a hayzorn :laugh:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Remember when Delta got to be in the strip?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lmao, amazing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

yyyeesssss

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

lol

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Napsing hayzorns... thats a bad sign. :(

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: La Machine

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry pulls off the dumbest recovery attempt in history..., or ...and Pearl responds as you'd expect, or Lopez says whip it! Into shape! Shape it up! Get straight!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Napsing hayzorns... thats a bad sign. :(

Those hayzorns aren't going to napse themselves, you know.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

oh no, who told Charles Boyce about crypto?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

My children are so ridiculous trying to rise above the bare utilitarian necessities of life. Don't they know circumstances will see to ruining their efforts?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I thought she was covered in bugs for a second.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Kurash, what is your endgame here? Are you planning to vanish into the wind before this child is injured or killed trying to learn to fly with these broken wings?

If so, you should have left already. You've got $6 burning a hole in your pocket, that'll get you maybe 5 miles by cab in 1979?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 4, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 4, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 4, 1990)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

I am irrationally irritated by that bag of mashed potato powder. Make it from real potatoes!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Johnny Hazard

Comic Strips 2022: Have some gun, chum!

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 11, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/10/02

Satchel is talking about the Black Christmas fires in Australia here.

Brenda Starr 2/24-26/48

NY Times posted:

It was in the 1920's when Mr. Powers came to New York City with hopes of becoming an actor, that circumstances led to his founding a modeling agency.

In an interview he once explained that he had overheard a businessman say he wanted a group of attractive people to pose for a magazine advertisement. Mr. Powers said he rounded up friends and later delivered the picture.

Because of his instant success, he said, he bound a catalogue of additional pictures and distributed them to advertising agencies. The idea “took,” he said, and John Powers Inc. was in business.

Powers girls, wrote the society columnist Elsa Maxwell, were “necessary” for the party lists and gatherings of cafe society folk, helping to create the mystique of glamour associated with posing for fashion photography.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/john-r-powers-dies-led-modeling-agency-founder-of-the-industry-was.html

Smokey Stover 2/20/46

Everyday Movies 10/31/34

"How have they got the nerve to raise the rents this year? Don't they know salaries haven't gone up?"

(The sign reads: For Rent, Housekeeping Apartment, All Improvements, 75¢ Week, Lease Required.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 11, 2022

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello, sorry, been super busy the past couple days.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: O Mother, Where Art Thou? (October 17-23, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 25, 1949)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Kid is lucky he stole the King's horse and not Val's. I mean either way Aleta will save him but still. Val has killed men for less.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The comedy in Val is so sublime. :allears:

Jucika "27 - Jucika and Firewood for Winter"

"28 - Jucika and Short Supply"

"W.C. papir is toilet paper."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 25, 1949)

Oh my fuckin god this kid is going places.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Love that last panel with the guard's expression

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

When did subways stop using physical tokens? A couple of decades ago?

Bizarro

The Family Circus

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So no new page today in the Giant Days comic, but Allison did post this “cover” on his website. He waited till today to post it since it is a definite spoiler for the comic.

BATMAN!

As to whether Allison is in the clear using Batman in his comic, he has stated on his twitter as well as the comments section on the linked website that, while he doesn't have permission from DC to use the character, he doesn't expect legal trouble since he is not making any money from the comic;
https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1491842602248904713
Allison has actually been toying with the idea of a Giant Days / Batman crossover for a couple of years now, starting with this series of panels drawn by Max Sarin in 2019;

(The guy talking to Alfred in the last panel if Graham McGraw, Susan's on-and-off boyfriend from Giant Days)

Then in late 2021 Allison drew these pictures while getting in practice to go to conventions again;

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

When did subways stop using physical tokens? A couple of decades ago?

It's interesting to see how the intersection of "has used a subway token," "could even begin to explain Bitcoin at the most basic level," overlaps with "the right age to have been posting on SA for 10+ years."

e: Computoon is an arrow pointed directly at our hearts. Undisputed voice of the millennial generation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The_Other posted:

As to whether Allison is in the clear using Batman in his comic, he has stated on his twitter as well as the comments section on the linked website that, while he doesn't have permission from DC to use the character, he doesn't expect legal trouble since he is not making any money from the comic;

Lol I get where he's coming from and it's a very common line of thought, but unfortunately that's not really any kind of legal cover in US copyright and trademark law. But that said I'm guessing it probably won't amount to anything, at worst he'll probably get a C&D and not be able to make any more than he already has.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Lol I get where he's coming from and it's a very common line of thought, but unfortunately that's not really any kind of legal cover in US copyright and trademark law. But that said I'm guessing it probably won't amount to anything, at worst he'll probably get a C&D and not be able to make any more than he already has.

The UK does weird things with copyright, trademarks and parody, but he probably can't get away with it here either unless he covers it in disclaimers. There's a complex interplay with his status as a fan supported artist.

It would be an interesting test case, would address a lot of the issues with fan art in general and how creative control can coexist with fan fiction. Some aging judge who normally deals with pharma and tech companies would have to make a ruling.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

MockingQuantum posted:

goatface posted:

The UK does weird things with copyright, trademarks and parody, but he probably can't get away with it here either unless he covers it in disclaimers. There's a complex interplay with his status as a fan supported artist.

It would be an interesting test case, would address a lot of the issues with fan art in general and how creative control can coexist with fan fiction. Some aging judge who normally deals with pharma and tech companies would have to make a ruling.

Allison goes into it a bit more in this interview on ComicsXF. He also talks about his writing on Giant Days and Bad Machinery a bit, as well as his thoughts on Darwyn Cooke, whom this comic is inspired by and dedicated to.

quote:

Mark: And so, are you at all worried about a knock on the door from the DC comics police?

John: No, because I’m not charging for it. Are they going to sue every comics artist who draws pictures of Batman for money at conventions? Everyone who draws headshots of Batman for cash? And where am I in the pecking order before all those guys when I’m not charging anything? I’m literally drawing this for my own amusement. I put it on Patreon, but those people are my subscribers anyway. It’s not a special thing to Patreon where you pay extra. It’s just me firing more of the garbage from my garbage sluice into the paywalled area of my website as far as I’m concerned.

If they got really cross with me, if for some reason it upset them, I’d simply go through and redraw the whole thing. I’d just redraw Bruce Wayne. I’ve already come up with a name for him if I ever have to do that, and Batman will become Whiskers, his entire costume will be themed around cats and Garfield. Alfred Pennyworth would be renamed Parsley, and they would be Parsley and Whiskers. This was given to me by friend the cartoonist Rachel Smith. She didn’t come up with the whole cat identity, because I was very keen to theme it Garfield-style. I think Jim Davis is very open to these things in a way that Detective Comics Comics is perhaps not. And that would be even funnier as far as I’m concerned. And I will write a long disclaimer saying “this is what I’ve had to do. It was Batman, it’s not anymore.” But I don’t see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

He's probably right that nothing will come of it (and I hope nothing does) but I can speak from experience that at least one major comics company that may or may not be owned by another major entertainment company can and absolutely does go after fan works with C&Ds, even very low-profile fan works. It seems like the legal basis usually has more to do with using specific trademarks, like say, a fancy shield with a star than anything to do with whether you're actually making any kind of profit off of the work. No idea if DC is the same way though.